Hector Parra

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Hector Parra
With the prices we're seeing these days on the most popular models, is there any underdog/hidden gem that you will consider as an alternative?

I could possibly see looking at a Bo if there wasn’t anything good available. But there are plenty of 182s and 206s out there.

There currently are a few Beech Sundowners on barnstormers. They’re a bit slower than a Skyhawk or Cherokee (despite being 180 hp), but they’re more spacious and have two doors. I believe the parts are more expensive, so maintenance may cost more in the long run.

Aero Commander 100. Basically it's a Cessna 172 but comes with a 20%-40% discount compared to the 172.

Some of them have the backwards tail, like Mooney. :D

One thing to consider is whether or not you’d want an A&P who is unfamiliar with these aircraft (not just the Aero, but any listed in this thread) to work on them. When it comes to the Grumman Cheetah or Tiger (another aircraft to consider), I’ve heard people say it’s a bad idea to let an A&P with no experience with Grumman’s to work on them.

Beech Musketeers and variants (Sundowner, Sierra) have been undervalued for a while. Solid, well-built planes that sacrifice a little speed for space and comfort.

See https://www.flyingmag.com/approachable-aircraft-beech-sundowner-musketeer/ .

No direct experience but I hear the Continental IO-346 engine offered in the mid sixties may be one to stay away from. More here for the interested ...

https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/io-346-with-io-550-cylinders.87610/

There currently are a few Beech Sundowners on barnstormers. They’re a bit slower than a Skyhawk or Cherokee (despite being 180 hp), but they’re more spacious and have two doors. I believe the parts are more expensive, so maintenance may cost more in the long run.

The Rockwell Commander 112 variants are also worth looking at. They suffer and benefit from the same fat fuselage syndrome.

Super Viking
You're right, though Super Vikings are underpriced for a reason. Local guy bought one, had a heck of a time finding someone to teach him to fly it. That, and he had to find a hangar, not always so easy.

Then again, short body Mooneys are also undervalued for a reason. Sux for you big guys.

You're right, though Super Vikings are underpriced for a reason. Local guy bought one, had a heck of a time finding someone to teach him to fly it. That, and he had to find a hangar, not always so easy.

Then again, short body Mooneys are also undervalued for a reason. Sux for you big guys.
Why would you need someone to teach you to fly a Super Viking? If you have a complex/HP rating and a CFI you should be good to go. Finding a hangar isn't a problem exclusive to Vikings, either, although it's obviously highly recommended.

Why would you need someone to teach you to fly a Super Viking? If you have a complex/HP rating and a CFI you should be good to go. Finding a hangar isn't a problem exclusive to Vikings, either, although it's obviously highly recommended.
Probably needed an insurance checkout.

Just had a guy call me that needed a CFI with 25hrs RV-10 experience. Of course I only have 18hrs so far. He must have found someone, as he hasn't called me back. I have found that usually that can be negotiated with the insurance company if you are working with a highly experienced CFI.

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

Probably needed an insurance checkout.

Just had a guy call me that needed a CFI with 25hrs RV-10 experience. Of course I only have 18hrs so far. He must have found someone, as he hasn't called me back. I have found that usually that can be negotiated with the insurance company if you are working with a highly experienced CFI.

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

I get that, but it's not as if the Super Viking is particularly rare. The Super Viking groups still seem pretty active, so surely it wouldn't be too hard to find someone with enough time in type for insurance checkouts. I can understand it being tough to find someone local in many instances.

Socata TB-20, roomy and reasonably fast 4/5 seater. The manufacturer still makes the parts and the wing was assembled using the same tooling as the big boys over in France.

Still, it is a low wing so you have to get over it...

Even with the prices being what they are there's no bigger bang for your buck than a short body Mooney.

Not so much anymore. The C has gone through the roof, recent prices I'm seeing puts a lot of them at a higher asking price than E models and even the low end of Js. 80/90/100k is not an unexpected price these days.

I'll wait for the craziness to end. I hope.

Back