When?

No problem, she generally keeps a gun stuck in the back of her jeans.

*COUGH*

Stalker

*COUGH*

How the hell did you find that picture? That was just an air / pellet gun that shoots those tiny yellow glow in the dark round balls. I didn't even shoot it, it wasn't even mine, that was on a camping trip years ago......

As to who to fly with it all depends.
If you just want a cheap way to get to 6Y9 then I vote Grant & Leslie.
If you like the idea of take a lesson with another CFI then I vote Ed.
Ed said he would give you options on flying over the Lake Michigan I would suggest you read up on it. Do a search you will find alot of info here about it.

As to who to fly with it all depends.
If you just want a cheap way to get to 6Y9 then I vote Grant & Leslie.
If you like the idea of take a lesson with another CFI then I vote Ed.
Ed said he would give you options on flying over the Lake Michigan I would suggest you read up on it. Do a search you will find alot of info here about it.

All silliness aside, I don't really like copying my posts from the other pilot sites and pasting them here (some have the same members). But yes, everyone keeps saying I should fly with another CFI if only to see how I am doing. My CFI - remember - cautions me and therefore I have never flown with another pilot. I have almost flown with two and the reasons I didn't were due to their schedules changing, and nothing I could prevent - just bad luck I guess. That and I don't really know too many pilots.

Kimberly

Sorry, but it won't really help much if you go down in Lake Michigan or, worse yet, Lake Superior. Ask Kent or Scott(?) sometime about the plane that went down in Lake Michigan. The pilot was able to make a cell call from atop the wing, but died of hypothermia before he could be rescued.

That'd be me. Well, I wasn't the one who died obviously, but I do talk about that accident because it hit a little close to home. N5360F is in my logbook.

On the third hand, his mom and dad will be at Sidnaw with us, and might be able to keep him in line, at least while in their sight. (Then again, maybe not.)

I'm voting not. Do you know how bad Diz wants Ed to find a nice girl and get married? :rofl:

I suspect that EdFred probably carries inflatable life vests when he flies over the lake.

I bet he doesn't... Besides, for a goodly portion of the year, all a life vest means is that they might find your body.

Wait, did you say all three hair types avoid him? That either means all women avoid him, or just all women except for the ones who are bald or turned grey from old age.

You are a smart (and correct) woman. :thumbsup:

*COUGH*

Stalker

*COUGH*

How the hell did you find that picture?

Jesse has a way with information. And he has a lot of guns. He might be a lot smaller than me, but he's pretty far up there on my list of people to not **** off. :yes:

I bet he doesn't... Besides, for a goodly portion of the year, all a life vest means is that they might find your body.
You would not die of hypothermia in the late summer or early fall in Lake Michigan, at least not for many hours.

Very! He's a wolf in wolf's clothing just waiting to pounce on the unsuspecting damsel. On the other hand, I think Liz slept on his couch and survived the encounter so maybe he's not so bad (or pretty good, you'd have to ask Liz).

I'll never tell! :smilewinkgrin:
(But, you'll notice that I did survive...)

If I knew for certain that I was going, I would offer you a ride too. Actually, I am offering, I just can't promise that things will work out. I own, and have had so much trouble with things on my airplane breaking that I'm no longer making firm plans to go anywhere by plane.

Of course, we could have 3 days of storms and then no one would be able to go.

Anyway I'm another woman pilot FWIW. This will be my first 6Y9 if I make it. Last year I chickened out due to high surface winds, turbulence, and low clouds. The year before that I didn't have an airplane. So I really am going to try to make it this year and you're welcome to ride right seat if I do.

Thanks everyone! Wow, there are three offers! I think I have decided, now I just need to buy tickets. This will be my very first fly-in. Heck, I've never even been close to a privately owned plane. Please excuse my newness / idiocy in advance before I get there.

Kimberly

You would not die of hypothermia in the late summer or early fall in Lake Michigan, at least not for many hours.

Correct. IIRC, the lake is actually at its warmest in late September/early October and at its coldest in April.

But, as I said, for a goodly portion of the year, all the life jacket will do is allow them to find your body.

This thread is becoming morbid.

We could talk about mountain pilots who wear shorts and t-shirts and take nothing else along to wear, and then if they survive the high DA crash on a nice summer day, freeze to death and die of exposure that night, if you'd like. ;)

More often they never learned not to fly up the center of the valley and they go up the wrong one, can't outclimb the terrain, and stall/spin on those nice hot days, straight down into the forest canopy, without even breaking a tree branch going straight down.

Then we search for them for weeks, and some hiker finds the aircraft and bodies three years later.

A couple have had video cameras on board, and the video serves as both a warning to get a mountain checkout and take a mountain specific ground school course, where... they often play the videos as examples of doing it wrong.

Aviation over hostile terrain, be it water or rocks, is often a morbid tale of poor planning and even poorer airmanship and decision-making. Kent posts regularly about how to properly do water crossings in single-engine aircraft.

People who don't learn from the mistakes of others and seek out knowledge, often learn the very hard way in both hostile terrain environments. And others.

I understand, I just meant "morbid" as in posts telling me how I personally might die while being the passenger of a small aircraft flying over a body of water. In August.

They're pilots. They're just giving you all the data so you can make a good go/no-go decision!! ;)

And in the interests of full disclosure, I'm a single-engine lake crosser like Ed! :eek::eek:

But generally only when I'm by myself, or when I'm satisfied my passengers understand the risks and are okay with them.

And in the interests of full disclosure, I'm a single-engine lake crosser like Ed! :eek::eek:

But generally only when I'm by myself, or when I'm satisfied my passengers understand the risks and are okay with them.

You renegade!!!! D

OK... just because I've been heavily medicated after a surgery for some weeks and it's taken it's toll mentally, I'm going to shoot this poor young lady some straight info all silliness aside.

My wife and I are both pilots and hangar our plane just a short walk from Ed's @ 9D9. We cross the lake en route to 6Y9 at least 3 times a year with our 2 children in the back seat. We usually cross over Beaver Island and @ 10,500 we can always glide to land. If we have to due to weather we have crossed MTW - LDM and even there, at altitude, we're only 10-20 minutes out of reach of either shore. Ed can easily cross over Beaver Island without ever being out of gliding distance of terra firma.

As pilots, a lot of us fly over some hostile terrain. For those cautioning on the lake crossing, but flying over vast stretches of Michigan's UP, what do you feel your chances of survival are of a crash anywhere in most of the UP? As denverpilot said of the rockies, even if you survive the crash it's likely going to be a while before somebody finds you or you find somebody.

Ed's a good pilot and a good guy. I've turned him loose in my plane this summer instructing one of my friends. Ed even took my buddy on a water crossing adventure on his first cross country as a student pilot. He had a great time and returned without harm. If you choose to come to GRR and go with Ed I think you'll have a great time and learn a lot. 9D9 - 6Y9 in Ed's plane is only about a 2hr ride but you may learn a bunch on that cross country. Lake Michigan can generate a lot of weather and you'll learn how to plan and navigate around it. Of course with any luck, the weather will be perfect this year and you'll just get to see some amazing scenery.

Any decision you make, you won't be disappointed with it as long as you make it to 6Y9. It's amazing how much fun you can have in a place that has so little.

Thanks everyone! Wow, there are three offers! I think I have decided, now I just need to buy tickets. This will be my very first fly-in. Heck, I've never even been close to a privately owned plane. Please excuse my newness / idiocy in advance before I get there.

Kimberly

So... whose offer have you decided to take??!! :idea:

No problem, she generally keeps a gun stuck in the back of her jeans.

*COUGH*

Stalker

*COUGH*

How the hell did you find that picture? That was just an air / pellet gun that shoots those tiny yellow glow in the dark round balls. I didn't even shoot it, it wasn't even mine, that was on a camping trip years ago......

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I agree with all of Gary's points (well I've never ridden with Ed so can't comment on that part, so there! :p). Getting to 6Y9 by air means flying over some inhospitable terrain, there is no way around it. If you take steps to minimize your exposure and maximize your options (be proactive on maintenance, carry enough fuel, get as much as altitude as you can over water and wilderness), you've done all you can and the only question left is, are you willing to accept the remaining risk? There will always be some risk when you fly, or for that matter when you leave your house (or even when you don't). If I want zero chance of dying in an airplane then I simply won't fly. I've done the MTW-LDM crossing and accept that I will be out of glide distance of shore for a few minutes (10-20 is about right, depending on wind). I would think twice about doing it in a rental, but in a well-maintained privately owned airplane, I accept the tiny risk. En route to 6Y9 I would probably cross over Beaver Island which as Gary rightly points out, keeps you within glide distance the whole way in most SE airplanes at 10,500. That doesn't mean you can't crash somewhere in the UP wilderness out of range of cellphone service and no airplane can fly high enough to keep you 100% safe from that possibility.

OK - NON-REFUNDABLE TICKETS PURCHASED....... risks and all.

Thanks everyone for being honest though.

I haven't had an adventure in a long time, not one like this, so I chose the adventurous route.

Kimberly

Speaking of truth in advertising, don't forget a tent, a warm jacket, and a warm sleeping bag. It can get downright chilly up there come Labor Day. I will probably spend more to get up there than you, it is over 500 nm for me. I'll probably take on quite a bit more risk, too. If the aircraft malfunctions my alternatives will be quite limited. If the wx turns, I will be quite stuck. Last time I went I had to bail a bit early to get out from under some wx.

That said, I think you'll have a really good time (I know I will). Meeting a large number of pilots and airplane owners is a long way from a bad thing. I can't think of a more convivial group.

No promises but I might be able to provide ground transportation for anybody who needs to divert to KSAW 55 miles east of 6Y9 due to bad weather or whatever. I will be working part of the labor day holiday but might be able to get my wife or son to drive people from Sawyer to 6Y9 until the weather improves. PM me a few days before you intend to come out here for contact information.

Thank you for all the advice! Everyone seems genuine and nice on here and I am happy this will be my first pilot event outside of 99s meetings in a conference room or WINGS credit seminars in an empty hangar filled with chairs at an airport. I'd prefer chilly rather than hot, though I get cold almost anytime of year, just a girl thing I guess.

I hope I don't get stuck but I will tell my boss back in Calfornia there are chances I won't be back to work on time. Oh and that there will be no computers or cell phones (super awesome, I haven't "left the grid" in years).

Kimberly

I'd prefer chilly rather than hot, though I get cold almost anytime of year, just a girl thing I guess.

If it is then someone hasn't been telling me something. I spend most of the time cold. Notice it was me saying stuff about warm jacket, sleeping bag etc...

I hope I don't get stuck but I will tell my boss back in Calfornia there are chances I won't be back to work on time. Oh and that there will be no computers or cell phones (super awesome, I haven't "left the grid" in years).

Kimberly

That is a good thing to tell your superiors whenever you undertake any sort of flying trip. However, I suspect there will be vehicles available to get you back to "civilization" should the need arise. Wx moves in I'm stuck good, I won't leave me airplane. However, that time of year it doesn't tend to be very rainy.

That is a good thing to tell your superiors whenever you undertake any sort of flying trip. However, I suspect there will be vehicles available to get you back to "civilization" should the need arise. Wx moves in I'm stuck good, I won't leave me airplane. However, that time of year it doesn't tend to be very rainy.

I will not, however, be telling my superiors that I'm flying across the country to a commercial airport, then boarding a smaller plane which is being flown by a pilot I've never met, then going to spend several days outdoors with people I don't even know, then hope that none of them are axe murderers (so more than just wx to be concerned about here)......

Kimberly

I will not, however, be telling my superiors that I'm flying across the country to a commercial airport, then boarding a smaller plane which is being flown by a pilot I've never met, then going to spend several days outdoors with people I don't even know, then hope that none of them are axe murderers (so more than just wx to be concerned about here)......
The real question is what are you telling your CFI? :D

Kimberly

An axe is a messy murder weapon...there are much *cleaner* ways.

The real question is what are you telling your CFI? :D

Believe it or not, I think I already told him I was thinking of going a while back. But back then I did not have tickets. I will wait until it gets closer to September to tell him, since my training will hopefully soon jump forward leaps and bounds. I'm not saying I'll have my PPL by then, but he already told me how close I am to the end and that was last week. We fly today, tomorrow, and Sunday.

I'm not saying I'll have my PPL by then, but he already told me how close I am to the end and that was last week. We fly today, tomorrow, and Sunday.
Have you passed the written yet? If so, it's really very possible that you could have the PPL by then. :yes:

Have you passed the written yet? If so, it's really very possible that you could have the PPL by then. :yes:

Yes, I was very scared I would flunk but I drove all the way to San Carlos Airport and got a 95 so that was awesome. I did this after my solo and a few cross countries with deviation, back in May. Now the two year clock is ticking I guess?

Kimberly

Yes, I was very scared I would flunk but I drove all the way to San Carlos Airport and got a 95 so that was awesome. I did this after my solo and a few cross countries with deviation, back in May. Now the two year clock is ticking I guess?

Kimberly
Yes, two years to finish the PPL. But it sounds as if you will have no trouble making that deadline.

That reminds me, tomorrow I will have only one year left to finish my instrument rating. Time sure does fly when you're, umm, having fun.

Back