When?

Sept.3rd 2011- 6th annual-2600ft grass

There are three "fly-ins" unofficially associated with PoA. Ed Fred already mentioned his at 6Y9 (northern Mich) labor day weekend. The original was Gaston's Resort (Northern Arkansas) in early June, and the Wings FlyBQ (Pennsylvania) in May. Details for each are available at the top of this forum.

The one in Arkansas is traditionally held on the hottest weekend in June after a huge rain on Thursday or Friday.

There are three "fly-ins" unofficially associated with PoA. Ed Fred already mentioned his at 6Y9 (northern Mich) labor day weekend. The original was Gaston's Resort (Northern Arkansas) in early June, and the Wings FlyBQ (Pennsylvania) in May. Details for each are available at the top of this forum.
So what happened to the new unofficial Windwood fly-in at Canaan Valley, WV? Held in the first weekend in October.

I have asked my boss (nurse who makes out the schedule) if I can be off that weekend. If the weather is too bad to get into 6Y9 on the first day or two of the fly-in consider flying into KSAW. I might be able to shuttle some of you to Sidnaw and back to get your plane when the weather clears. PM me a few weeks before the fly-in for contact information. Sawyer is about 60 miles from Sidnaw, practically in my backyard.

I don't mean to be critical of the previous poster but 6Y9 is in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan not northern Michigan. Northern Michigan is where the trolls live, below the (Mackinac) bridge. I have lived in the U.P. for a total of 10 years and am reasonably familiar with the area.

I have asked my boss (nurse who makes out the schedule) if I can be off that weekend. If the weather is too bad to get into 6Y9 on the first day or two of the fly-in consider flying into KSAW. I might be able to shuttle some of you to Sidnaw and back to get your plane when the weather clears. PM me a few weeks before the fly-in for contact information. Sawyer is about 60 miles from Sidnaw, practically in my backyard.

I don't mean to be critical of the previous poster but 6Y9 is in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan not northern Michigan. Northern Michigan is where the trolls live, below the (Mackinac) bridge. I have lived in the U.P. for a total of 10 years and am reasonably familiar with the area.
Yah hey der Gary
Dos trolls come up wit der dirty dirty vincheser and shoots all da deers,don't dey.
Have you flown in to 6Y9? If you have ,I don't think we've met yet. May 15th will be opening day as I will have the windsock up and the cones out.
Usually it's pretty wet until June 1st but last year it was dry on opening day.(Lack of heavy snow)
I'm usually there every other weekend cutting grass ,drop in,but beware of the "Sidnaw Hump":hairraise: at mid-field.
Watcha flyin? 2,600 ft ,30 ft. tree's off a little ways from both ends.

Yah hey der Gary
Dos trolls come up wit der dirty dirty vincheser and shoots all da deers,don't dey.
Have you flown in to 6Y9? If you have ,I don't think we've met yet. May 15th will be opening day as I will have the windsock up and the cones out.
Usually it's pretty wet until June 1st but last year it was dry on opening day.(Lack of heavy snow)
I'm usually there every other weekend cutting grass ,drop in,but beware of the "Sidnaw Hump":hairraise: at mid-field.

Gary's one o' dem lucky guys flyin' a DA40, eh?

Its great for Cherokees! :D

I'm gettin' better than 1,000 fpm on departure with all the bolt ons...the trees shouldn't even get a close look at my Cherokee now. Maybe a touch-n-go next year...

Gary's one o' dem lucky guys flyin' a DA40, eh?
Yep
Yah hey der Gary
Never flown into 6Y9.

Trolls are welcome in da UP. Tourism and the prisons are the biggest sources of income north of the bridge. Being a tourist is usually a lot better than being an inmate.

Unfortunately, I have been informed that I will be on call that weekend so unless you have a heart attack (or convince the local ER doc at Baraga Hospital that you might be having one) I probably won't get to meet any of you. I can try to get one of my partners to swap call with me but that will be hard to do on a holiday weekend. Bummer.

There are three "fly-ins" unofficially associated with PoA.... The original was Gaston's Resort....
You revisionist. Gastons was already underway pre-POA through Diana. A queer fellow calling himself EdFred was asking about a sod roller and someone on POA suggested filling it with beet juice. Therefore 6Y9 is the first true POA fly-in.

But let's hear what the POA historian has to say.

Last edited:
What are you doing, trying to jinx yourself?

Hope not. Just really happy with the engine mods and the improvement in aircraft performance.

The Turbo Dakota seems to get a thumbs down from Aviation Consumer. I think it is undeserved but it certainly doesn't have a carefree engine. Ya gotta pay attention and fly the numbers to keep it cool. With the addition of the upper deck pressure controller and inter-cooler the engine didn't get any easier to operate, it just operates with much lower CHT & oil temperatures and a little more stability. I have no concerns with a long climb on a summer afternoon now. In cruise the CHTs are right around 300 so shock cooling is almost never a concern. I'm thinkin' that with an intercooler the TSIIO-360 is a really good engine. A fully automatic intake pressure controller would make it a fantastic engine.

You revisionist. Gastons was already underway pre-POA through Diana. A queer fellow calling himself EdFred was asking about a sod roller and someone on POA suggested filling it with beet juice. Therefore 6Y9 is the first true POA fly-in.

Chip and I started the Gaston's fly-in back in 2004 when we were on the old AOPA forum, back when it was yellow. :)

Actually The Wings FlyBQ was prior to 6Y9er by a year or two and Gastons predated the Wings FlyBQ by a year and Windwood is only two years old. Regardless they are all fantastic in their own right.

Chip and I started the Gaston's fly-in back in 2004 when we were on the old AOPA forum, back when it was yellow. :)
There it is, straight from the lady herself. Gastons is a Yellow board event. 6Y9 is the 1st Blue board fly-in.

Actually The Wings FlyBQ was prior to 6Y9er by a year or two and Gastons predated the Wings FlyBQ by a year and Windwood is only two years old. Regardless they are all fantastic in their own right.
And one year soon I shall haul my asterisk to the Wings FlyBQ.

There it is, straight from the lady herself. Gastons is a Yellow board event. 6Y9 is the 1st Blue board fly-in.

Nope. The Wings FlyBQ was founded right here on the Blue Board in 2005, and the first one was held about 14 months prior to the first 6Y9 fly-in.

I'm sure you remember the first 6Y9 fly-in, you were there - It was August of 2006. The first FlyBQ was May 2005.

Here you go, the birth of a great thing: http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=918

In cruise the CHTs are right around 300 so shock cooling is almost never a concern. I'm thinkin' that with an intercooler the TSIIO-360 is a really good engine. A fully automatic intake pressure controller would make it a fantastic engine.

Low CHTs, happy oil temps, etc. are all very nice to have.

I never quite understood the "manual wastegate" idea that Continental chose to go with for some of the TSIO-360s. I understand it was a cost savings issue, but since they had the full-blown systems on the (G)TSIO-520s, I'd think they could use that. Then again, maybe it over-compensated when used on a lower power engine.

It's hard to go wrong with an intercooler on anything turbocharged. Where you live you'll see some of the biggest benefits, since you're always on boost.

So do any people from California ever show up to this?

Oh and how hot is it and are there any crazy strange bugs that we don't have in California?

Bugs as in giant flying biting stinging insects. We are lucky not to have too many in my part of CA - near San Francisco it is about 50 - 70 degrees year round, occasionally 80.

I'll bring the DEET.

Kimberly

Last edited:
We have had 2 from California show up.

Weather can be anywhere from 50's to 90's. Last year was freezing ass cold on Saturday, but awesome on Sunday. Years prior it had been perfect to warmer than perfect temps.

Bugs aren't too bad. Maybe some mosquitos or deer flies hanging around, but a Bounce dryer sheet stuffed in a baseball cap will keep em away.

We have had 2 from California show up.

Weather can be anywhere from 50's to 90's. Last year was freezing ass cold on Saturday, but awesome on Sunday. Years prior it had been perfect to warmer than perfect temps.

Bugs aren't too bad. Maybe some mosquitos or deer flies hanging around, but a Bounce dryer sheet stuffed in a baseball cap will keep em away.

especially a dirty ol Jeff Gordon #24 baseball cap

Um, I don't even really own or wear T-shirts or baseball caps. Darn, time to stock up.

Wouldn't want to aerate the lawn in high heels either.

Back to the drawing board on this one. Tennis shoes, dryer sheets, baseball caps. Got it.

Kimberly

Last edited:
Oh and how hot is it and are there any crazy strange bugs that we don't have in California?

I'd call it nice during the day, but it gets pretty cold at night - Sleeping bag wasn't enough. Sleeping bag with someone else in it too, or sleeping bag + blanket will do the trick, though.

As for bugs, that's the nice thing about having a real winter - It kills 'em all off. The worst bugs we have are the mosquitos. Some of them have N numbers and squawk 1200...

I'd call it nice during the day, but it gets pretty cold at night - Sleeping bag wasn't enough. Sleeping bag with someone else in it too, or sleeping bag + blanket will do the trick, though.

As for bugs, that's the nice thing about having a real winter - It kills 'em all off. The worst bugs we have are the mosquitos. Some of them have N numbers and squawk 1200...

I've never been cold while sleeping up there. Oh wait...I stay at the cabin! One of these years I'll bust out a tent and slum it over at the airfield overnight. :D

We have real winters here in California silly. And I am a Californian and even I have driven snowmobiles up a mountain to a log cabin - in CA!

I just watch too much discovery channel I guess. Not sure why I'm afraid of bugs since they let people hold an African scorpion (with stingers) - huge - at the county fair and I was the only one who held it. That was cool. So the N-Numbered mosquitoes, I'll look out for those. They tend to bite me and no one else everytime I go camping. Oh and ticks (gross), we get those on us too.

Kimberly

if you drink enough whiskey you don't even need a sleeping bag

Wait you don't own any T-Shirts?:confused: what do you normally wear heels and cocktail dresses? I don't think the folks in Sidnaw ( where 6Y9er is located) even own a pair of heels ( Diz excluded)

Really my best advice is don't worry about the way you look just bring a warm jacket cause it can get cool at night and plane on having an awesome time! You will love it!

You do not have an issue sleeping in a tent right?

ENJOY!!

Wait you don't own any T-Shirts?:confused: what do you normally wear heels and cocktail dresses? I don't think the folks in Sidnaw ( where 6Y9er is located) even own a pair of heels ( Diz excluded)

Really my best advice is don't worry about the way you look just bring a warm jacket cause it can get cool at night and plane on having an awesome time! You will love it!

You do not have an issue sleeping in a tent right?

ENJOY!!

DUDE I am not a wuss. I just said I got ticks on me and mosquito bites all over when I went camping two weeks ago silly.

Tents (or even no tents) are awesome. I pretend to worry about what will or will not crawl into my sleeping bag and bite me / kill me in the night . . . but really I can't do that too much or I would spend my life worrying about stuff. Hell, you can die crossing the street in CA.

Kimberly

EDIT: To work yeah we have to dress up. Outside of work, I guess they aren't really "T-Shirts" even when riding horses or dirt bikes or snowmobiles. I don't know I'm just not a T-shirt person. You don't have to wear a dress to not wear a T-Shirt - there's lots of in between. And yes when you live in a big city like SF there are lots of heeled shoes, even with jeans.

What is crown? When we're being cheap, we drink Early Times in the 1.5 Liter plastic bottle. Sort of cheap, Maker's Mark. Not so cheap, Pappy Van Winkle family 12 + years aged or something like that (I've forgotten). 90+ proof, yikes.

Back