When?

Hmmm. This ain't a big fly-in, maybe a dozen airplanes (two if you count the whoppity flopters and ultralights), but there's at least a handful of women who fly in.

We had 26 planes in 2009.

Some of the women pilots that have flown in, or been flown in:

Leslie
Barb
Jamie
Liz
Kate
Sharon
Missa
Jen
Ted (oh wait, it's just the hair)

not to mention at least Rachel and Leah, who were not pilots at the time but attended.

Leslie
Barb
Jamie
Liz
Kate
Sharon
Missa
Jen
Ted (oh wait, it's just the hair)

Women pilots are awesome. I'm glad there were so many in 2009. I found some plane tickets for a pretty good price, maybe I will add to your list for this year's fly in . . . just crossing my fingers about the bears, mosquitoes, and straw wagons however.

the bears aren't too bad. according to leah there are probably only black bears. we left some food out by the runway and they didn't even eat it.

the bears aren't too bad. according to leah there are probably only black bears. we left some food out by the runway and they didn't even eat it.

What? Were you trying to tempt them to join your party? Bears perhaps should not be invited. If I saw a bear on a runway I would definitely do a go-around.

Kimberly

we left the food by the runway so they wouldn't try to get in the tent with us.

mostly kidding according to smart people there really aren't many bears around there.

I don't think the bears came around due to the snoring of a bear camped behind a 182.

I'm going to do my best to try and make it this year. As long as I don't have any more surprise $5,000 expenses (like my HVAC last month) I should be able to do it.

Can the world handle The Most Interesting Pilot and the World's Greatest pilot being in the same place at the same time?

Dani coming too?

I'm going to do my best to try and make it this year. As long as I don't have any more surprise $5,000 expenses (like my HVAC last month) I should be able to do it.

You should go - I will be booking my plane ticket soon and according to some other poster you and Ed are the only ones that can show me how to fly. Of course that is not what this meeting is about. I will just bring my TAC and then justify why I'm bad on the radios. Or drink this crown stuff and do nothing aviation related. Who knows.

Can the world handle The Most Interesting Pilot and the World's Greatest pilot being in the same place at the same time?

Dani coming too?

Who is the greatest pilot? And why is he / she also not the most interesting one?

I have that weekend off... will be there Friday through Monday with the other half. :)

Leslie
Barb
Jamie
Liz
Kate
Sharon
Missa
Jen

You forgot Tristan.

Regardless, women are very well-represented at our fly-ins... 30% or so as opposed to the 6% that are pilots.

...I pretend to worry about what will or will not crawl into my sleeping bag and bite me / kill me in the night . . .

Kimberly

Well there is Mr. 24

EDIT: To work yeah we have to dress up. Outside of work, I guess they aren't really "T-Shirts" even when riding horses or dirt bikes or snowmobiles. I don't know I'm just not a T-shirt person. You don't have to wear a dress to not wear a T-Shirt - there's lots of in between. And yes when you live in a big city like SF there are lots of heeled shoes, even with jeans.

Nah I got ya. When you mentioned heels and I just figured, and I know SF and how they dress my sis lives there and I get the fancy shoes and heels thing

I prefer bourbon.

Oh say no more with that post and the one with the pappys you also need to come to the Wings Flybq where Porky and I will gladly pour you a finger neat or rocks if you like from he bottles we have on hand, Bourbon is sooo good,

Wait, does this mean people are literally falling off the wagon?

Well pretty much yup!

Wow, um, no. I would fly commercially out there and then rent a car. Can't say I've done crazier things but hey I'm getting old and I only live once. Who could pass up a hay ride and some eggs dropped in a fire?

Kimberly

Kimberly first try to figure out where folks are coming from and if you can get to where they are commercially and then catch a ride with a POAer in his or her plane its much more fun Sidnaw is a LONG drive from anywhere but the flyin is more fun than a person should be allowed to have.

If this is true then I will definitely figure out a way to get there. But it sounds like with only 72 days left according to your built in count down I don't have much time to increase my tolerance for more than a few beers / shots. The clock is ticking.

I'd offer a seat from Denver but not sure I can make it this year because of work obligations. (working on being able to fly in but the communication thing is a problem - maybe a sat phone for the weekend)

I'm sure there will be many seats available. Chicago is probably good for catching a ride with Grant & Leslie there and Scott usually makes it to 6Y9.

Talk nice to Greg & Sharon and they may offer a ride in the Cessna 190/195. I'm not sure if they're still in Iowa or moved yet. Everyone who gets out of that aircraft has a big grin. Not sure if it's a survivor's grin or they're just really happy...

Lot's of folks fly out of various points in Michigan (surprise). Shouldn't be too difficult to make a connection there.

Last edited:
I'd offer a seat from Denver but not sure I can make it this year because of work obligations. (working on being able to fly in but the communication thing is a problem - maybe a sat phone for the weekend)

I'm sure there will be many seats available. Chicago is probably good for catching a ride with Grant & Leslie there and Scott usually makes it to 6Y9.

Talk nice to Greg & Sharon and they may offer a ride in the Cessna 190/195. I'm not sure if they're still in Iowa or moved yet. Everyone who gets out of that aircraft has a big grin. Not sure if it's a survivor's grin or they're just really happy...

Lot's of folks fly out of various points in Michigan (surprise). Shouldn't be too difficult to make a connection there.

Thanks for the information, I will figure something out. Got the time off work approved, so that is the important thing. Next step is to buy plane tickets. Perhaps (not sure how) I will also be a private pilot by then. My goal is to finish by the end of October, at the VERY latest. Before winter kicks in full scale.

Kimberly

The Free Bird will be there and will NOT need assistance getting back out. The plan is to bring my pal China, who some of you miscreants met at Oshkosh a couple years back. Our freshman attendee (who's name coincidentally rhymes with Kimberly) would do well to team up with one of the old hands to get a short course on grass field operations. It one thing to learn it in a book, another to do it off grass.

I'll be pushing for a Cherokee formation flight. We should have at least three.

What on earth rhymes with Kimberly?
:dunno: Nimberly? :idea: :no:

We might be persuaded to give you a ride up from Chicago. :) We have a spare room, and you get even to hang with one of the other woman pilots! Probably get good deals flying into O'Hare, too. Oh, we're part of the pretty cool group that arrives Friday. Maybe we'll do a run to Mackinac Island Sunday or Monday, too!

Last edited:
I always have extra room in the Comanche. Fly into Grand Rapids (KGRR), and hitch a ride with me. Of course you might be embarrassed either 1) being seen in that plane, or 2) being seen arriving with me. Although since I get in a day early, the embarrassment might be minimal.

I always have extra room in the Comanche. Fly into Grand Rapids (KGRR), and hitch a ride with me. Of course you might be embarrassed either 1) being seen in that plane, or 2) being seen arriving with me. Although since I get in a day early, the embarrassment might be minimal.

Tickets to GRR from either OAK or SFO are currently in the $330 - $430 range on Kayak. I know that none of you private pilots out there fly on commercial airlines, but can anyone tell me if this is a good deal? I haven't taken a real "far away" vacation or commercial plane ride since 2005 so I am sort of out of the loop.

Thanks,

Kimberly

Tickets to GRR from either OAK or SFO are currently in the $330 - $430 range on Kayak. I know that none of you private pilots out there fly on commercial airlines, but can anyone tell me if this is a good deal? I haven't taken a real "far away" vacation or commercial plane ride since 2005 so I am sort of out of the loop.

Thanks,

Kimberly
SFO to ORD is closer to $310 nonstop, leaving Thursday evening and returning Tuesday morning. Those prices seem pretty reasonable to me. Making it refundable adds about $550 onto the fare. :yikes:

Oh no - now I have two offers? Spend $310 and go with Grant? Or spend $330 and go with Ed? What to do? I don't really know either of you.

So - perhaps I should ask the other pilots. Then again, Ed is going up early which means more vacation.....

How do you start a voting / poll thingey on here? Maybe I should ask the experts to help me decide.

BTW - enough silliness - thank you BOTH for the offers.

You get to ride in the front seat of the Comanche with me or the back seat of a 182 with Grant. But the flight might be more enjoyable with Grant and Leslie.

You get to ride in the front seat of the Comanche with me or the back seat of a 182 with Grant. But the flight might be more enjoyable with Grant and Leslie.

I've never been in either type of aircraft but I'm sure they are both nicer than my 1978 Cessna 152 trainer with two cracked cylinders (not mine, the flight school's).

Oh no - now I have two offers? Spend $310 and go with Grant? Or spend $330 and go with Ed? What to do? I don't really know either of you.

So - perhaps I should ask the other pilots. Then again, Ed is going up early which means more vacation.....

How do you start a voting / poll thingey on here? Maybe I should ask the experts to help me decide.

BTW - enough silliness - thank you BOTH for the offers.
Well, in the interest of full disclosure, we were going to fly Ed to Wings one year, but left him stranded at home because we didn't like the look of the weather. Ed, OTOH, patented the "Braille One" approach into Gastons (an unlit grass strip in a valley at night) and will apparently fly without drinking plenty of fluid before and during the flight! :) :) Ed's also a CFI and plane owner, while Leslie and I are just renters.

Well, in the interest of full disclosure, we were going to fly Ed to Wings one year, but left him stranded at home because we didn't like the look of the weather. Ed, OTOH, patented the "Braille One" approach into Gastons (an unlit grass strip in a valley at night) and will apparently fly without drinking plenty of fluid before and during the flight! :) :) Ed's also a CFI and plane owner, while Leslie and I are just renters.

LMAO!!! I only drink ethanol while flying. that way I really get dehydrated!

So . . . sit in the front of the plane with a CFI (and perhaps somehow get to help with the radios or navigation or whatever?) or sit in the back of a plane as a passenger . . . I've never been in a small plane with another pilot before (except my instructor). I'm at a plateau right now and struggling through a lot in my training. Even just talking to another CFI about my issues might really help me if I don't have my PPL by then. Also, as silly as it sounds, I would learn more by sitting in the front and just watching another person fly.

However, when you say "full disclosure" are you saying it would be..... an adventure to say the least or ..... ?

However, I do have an ass, gas, or grass policy. And I don't smoke weed, so.... :rofl:

Back