When?

You can have fun with us before the big event! Maybe I'm having the most fun since I'm probably the only one who bought a commercial airline ticket which will have me travel all day, on two "big" planes (and then more hours and hours of travel to get to 6Y9 by small plane).

So . . . I have to make sure it is fun since I'll spend almost as much time in transit as I will at 6Y9!
My 6Y9 trip will most likely involve 1,800 miles of motorcycle riding and 2,300 miles of flying in a 172. It's going to be a long damn weekend, but will be much fun indeed.

You could say I'm taking the long way to 6y9..

My 6Y9 trip will most likely involve 1,800 miles of motorcycle riding and 2,300 miles of flying in a 172. It's going to be a long damn weekend, but will be much fun indeed.

You could say I'm taking the long way to 6y9..

Wow and I thought my spending 24 hours of travel to get there and back was bad.... you are riding a motorcycle for 1,800 miles?

I'm riding a few commercial planes for 9 hours (if you include how early I have to get to SFO before my flight, all the layovers, etc). Then I'm riding from GRR to 6Y9 in a small plane that does not fit my gigantic self, which I'm sure is another few hours since I'll be slowing the plane's rate of climb . . . so let's say 12 total travel hours each way.

Wow and I thought my spending 24 hours of travel to get there and back was bad.... you are riding a motorcycle for 1,800 miles?

I'm riding a few commercial planes for 9 hours (if you include how early I have to get to SFO before my flight, all the layovers, etc). Then I'm riding from GRR to 6Y9 in a small plane that does not fit my gigantic self, which I'm sure is another few hours since I'll be slowing the plane's rate of climb . . . so let's say 12 total travel hours each way.
Current plan is:
Lincoln, NE to New Braunfels, TX via motorcycle: 868 miles (15 hours)
New Braunfels, TX to Lincoln, NE via Cessna 172: 671 nm (6 hours)
Lincoln, NE to 6Y9 via Cessna 172: 486 nm (5 hours)
6Y9 to Lincoln NE via Cessna 172: 486 nm (5 hours)
Lincoln, Ne to New Braunfels, TX via Cessna 172: 671 nm (6 hours)
New Braunfels, TX to Lincoln, NE via motorcycle: 868 miles (15 hours)

52 hours of travel..if everything goes right.

David White is located in New Braunfels and wanted to come to 6Y9. He is 16 years old so he cannot get his private pilot certificate yet. It'll be a good training opportunity for him to fly across the country and a fun trip for me.

Motorcycle:
197433_1666748629991_1275540023_31437516_3249040_n.jpg

172:
DSC03143.JPG

Last edited:
Current plan is:
Lincoln, NE to New Braunfels, TX via motorcycle: 868 miles
New Braunfels, TX to Lincoln, NE via Cessna 172: 671 nm
Lincoln, NE to 6Y9 via Cessna 172: 486 nm
6Y9 to Lincoln NE via Cessna 172: 486 nm
Lincoln, Ne to New Braunfels, TX via Cessna 172: 671 nm
New Braunfels, TX to Lincoln, NE via motorcycle: 868 miles

David White is located in New Braunfels and wanted to come to 6Y9. He is 16 years old so he cannot get his private pilot certificate yet. It'll be a good training opportunity for him to fly across the country and a fun trip for me.

Wow, I have heard of CFI's "going the distance" but that is insane. I can't believe you are doing this.

Wait - he is 16? Then what on earth is he doing talking about grown up things in Ed's thread? I can't believe I will be meeting some person where I am "twice their age" - literally - LOL. Now I feel really old.

Yes, 2011 Kawasaki Concours 1400

Nice! I was worried your butt would not be comfortable for such a long ride but with more of an upright stance you'll be ok. At least the bike is meant for "cross countries" and you aren't bent over like you're on a race horse.

-Kimberly

Nice! I was worried your butt would not be comfortable for such a long ride but with more of an upright stance you'll be ok. At least the bike is meant for "cross countries" and you aren't bent over like you're on a race horse.

-Kimberly
You should read these old threads about my other "crazy motorcycle trips" that we're on anything nearly as comfortable as the Concours:

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8200
http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8313
http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20505

You should read these old threads about my other "crazy motorcycle trips" that we're on anything nearly as comfortable as the Concours:

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8200
http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8313
http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20505

Oh my God you are insane. I don't even know how it is you are still alive?

I only read most of the first thread and I am already flabberghasted (spelling?)

I don't know whether to applaud you or scold you.

Um, at least you have experience? I doubt I put 3,000 miles on all my motorcycles combined before realizing I didn't want to risk my life any more. It is good to see you haven't become a statistic like so many in my motorcycle community did.

I doubt I put 3,000 miles on all my motorcycles combined before realizing I didn't want to risk my life any more.
:rolleyes:
And so then you decided to come to Michigan and CROSS LAKE MICHIGAN IN A SINGLE with a pilot you've never met before. :yikes:

For all you know he might not even file a flight plan. Then you'll definitely be done for. :goofy:

:rolleyes:
And so then you decided to come to Michigan and CROSS LAKE MICHIGAN IN A SINGLE with a pilot you've never met before. :yikes:

For all you know he might not even file a flight plan. Then you'll definitely be done for. :goofy:

I have understood and accepted the risks. I'm sure we will have a pre-flight briefing and if I am a pilot myself by then (or even if I'm not) I can file a flight plan and open / close it. I can do flight following on my radio. I could even buy a PLB (but won't).

Don't worry, I'm 80% sure we'll be "fine".

Kim, there's a long running joke about the news media saying airplanes weren't on flight plans thus, they crash... On the forum here. Thus the reference to a flight plan.

Hey I've gone out to go flying, kicked a shin into a radio bracket on my Jeep (back when I still had it) and gashed my shin so deep that I needed stitches, once.

Told the doc "no drugs!", got stitched up, climbed in the airplane two hours later, and flew to Vegas, as originally intended.

Life's full of risks. That day it was a badly placed two-way radio bracket with no radio mounted in it that I never would have even considered would cause me a "relatively" major injury just putting the Jeep in the hangar.

I also learned that a quick mechanic's bandage works to keep from bleeding on your shoe while you push the airplane back into the hangar, and is faster than digging out the airplane's first aid kit. :rofl:

You'll either make it to 6Y9 or you won't. :D Try not to kick anything with your shin while loading the aircraft. ;) :D

Hey I've gone out to go flying, kicked a shin into a radio bracket on my Jeep (back when I still had it) and gashed my shin so deep that I needed stitches, once.

Told the doc "no drugs!", got stitched up, climbed in the airplane two hours later, and flew to Vegas, as originally intended.

Life's full of risks. That day it was a badly placed two-way radio bracket with no radio mounted in it that I never would have even considered would cause me a "relatively" major injury just putting the Jeep in the hangar.

I also learned that a quick mechanic's bandage works to keep from bleeding on your shoe while you push the airplane back into the hangar, and is faster than digging out the airplane's first aid kit. :rofl:

You'll either make it to 6Y9 or you won't. :D Try not to kick anything with your shin while loading the aircraft. ;) :D

I don't know that I can do this for you. While loading the aircraft and in fact well before that point, I will have kicked Ed several times. So I can't try to not kick anything, especially if he is calling me a blimp again.

1800 miles is quite a feat, even on a Connie, which is a damn fine bike. 800 miles on my fire-breathing race bike would be torture. I decided a while back that the way to torture the terrorists was to put them on race bikes like mine and make them ride all day somewhere flat, like Nebraska. I can't ride cross town on the 954 without my throttle hand falling asleep.

In defense of motorcycles, I've probably ridden farther than anyone, and in more lands. I've been riding since Kimberly was a gleam in her mother's eye. I am the least coordinated rider I know, and probably the worst. My two crashes were reported here on POA, and damaged my ego far more than my bike or my person. I love traveling by motorcycle, and would do a lot more if I didn't own an aircraft. When you travel in a car, you travel through the area. When you travel on a bike, you become part of the area.

1800 miles is quite a feat, even on a Connie, which is a damn fine bike. 800 miles on my fire-breathing race bike would be torture. I decided a while back that the way to torture the terrorists was to put them on race bikes like mine and make them ride all day somewhere flat, like Nebraska. I can't ride cross town on the 954 without my throttle hand falling asleep.

In defense of motorcycles, I've probably ridden farther than anyone, and in more lands. I've been riding since Kimberly was a gleam in her mother's eye. I am the least coordinated rider I know, and probably the worst. My two crashes were reported here on POA, and damaged my ego far more than my bike or my person. I love traveling by motorcycle, and would do a lot more if I didn't own an aircraft. When you travel in a car, you travel through the area. When you travel on a bike, you become part of the area.

They make these little throttle rests for bikes like that so you will be more comfortable.... I know what you mean, your wrist is twisted in such a strange way it cuts off blood / circulation to your hand when you are just cruising at the same speed on the freeway.

They make these little throttle rests for bikes like that so you will be more comfortable.... I know what you mean, your wrist is twisted in such a strange way it cuts off blood / circulation to your hand when you are just cruising at the same speed on the freeway.

Dah, I've got one, I just haven't tried it yet. Works out that most of the riding on the bike is short-haul around town. I did put on a Throttlemeister throttle lock for a long trip a couple years ago, but found it to be pretty useless.

This is only an issue on the sport bike. I've ridden my other bikes all over the US and Central America. Like I said, if I didn't have an aircraft, I would ride everywhere.

Dah, I've got one, I just haven't tried it yet. Works out that most of the riding on the bike is short-haul around town. I did put on a Throttlemeister throttle lock for a long trip a couple years ago, but found it to be pretty useless.

This is only an issue on the sport bike. I've ridden my other bikes all over the US and Central America. Like I said, if I didn't have an aircraft, I would ride everywhere.
I put a throttlemeister on my concours and it's pretty nice on the interstate. What didn't you like?

I put a throttlemeister on my concours and it's pretty nice on the interstate. What didn't you like?

If I need to decelerate in a hurry, ain't going to happen (takes a minute to fool with the thing). Isn't easy to set while riding (there is a lot more of my weight on the bars than on a Connie). Last but certainly not least, the thing seems to have slid out a touch, and doesn't work anymore anyway. The latter is probably not big deal and easily solvable with my rubber mallet.

If I need to decelerate in a hurry, ain't going to happen (takes a minute to fool with the thing). Isn't easy to set while riding (there is a lot more of my weight on the bars than on a Connie). Last but certainly not least, the thing seems to have slid out a touch, and doesn't work anymore anyway. The latter is probably not big deal and easily solvable with my rubber mallet.

A lot of things are easily solvable with a mallet.

When I would ride on the highway, I would just grip the throttle further forward so when I was at the speed I wanted my wrist wasn't out of a natural position.

When I would ride on the highway, I would just grip the throttle further forward so when I was at the speed I wanted my wrist wasn't out of a natural position.

I did that too! Though I saw a lot of riders with the throttle thingies.

The touring models come with cruise control.

Cruise control is not what I meant by "throttle thingie". The moto group I belonged to didn't ride "touring" models. They wore full gear and went to track days and had "race" bikes aka crotch rockets. I soon stopped going on group rides since I did not want to hold anyone up . . . even in my CBR I was getting passed by minivans. I was a wuss when it came to no guard rails on mountain roads, I always looked DOWN (yikes) and remembered about things like black ice, oil slicks, crazy drivers, wild life, construction pot holes, and all the other things that could send me to an early grave.....

So I sold my motorcycle and now am doing something much less risky - flying! LOL. At least now when I look down being up high is a "safe" thing and not a scary thing.

Cruise control is not what I meant by "throttle thingie". The moto group I belonged to didn't ride "touring" models. They wore full gear and went to track days and had "race" bikes aka crotch rockets. I soon stopped going on group rides since I did not want to hold anyone up . . . even in my CBR I was getting passed by minivans. I was a wuss when it came to no guard rails on mountain roads, I always looked DOWN (yikes) and remembered about things like black ice, oil slicks, crazy drivers, wild life, construction pot holes, and all the other things that could send me to an early grave.....

So I sold my motorcycle and now am doing something much less risky - flying! LOL. At least now when I look down being up high is a "safe" thing and not a scary thing.

My race bike is at the end of my motorcycle evolution, not the beginning. If it makes you feel better, I have never in my life tried to keep up with anyone on a bike.

Yeah, the guard rails and stuff looked scary to me too, and there was lots of oil on those roads. I did them slowly, enjoyed my time tremendously, and am still here (and riding) to tell you about it.

My race bike is at the end of my motorcycle evolution, not the beginning. If it makes you feel better, I have never in my life tried to keep up with anyone on a bike.

Yeah, the guard rails and stuff looked scary to me too, and there was lots of oil on those roads. I did them slowly, enjoyed my time tremendously, and am still here (and riding) to tell you about it.

The key is to make it so everyone has to keep up with you.

The key is to make it so everyone has to keep up with you.

The key is to not leave your comfort zone unless you're damn certain you can get away with it, and the only place I know where you can do that is the track.

The roads Kimberly is describing are full of blind curves and sweepers. Truly, no place for a noob on a sportbike.

I knew a bunch of guys who were faster than everyone. A couple died. I bet by now the rest are either dead or riding Harleys.

Well you can decelerate just by twisting it. The key is to get the tension just right with the included washers so that it doesn't completely restrict throttle movement. You just want it to provide enough tension to hold it in one spot.

I messed with the washers quite a bit on mine to come up with a tension I was happy with. Not sure how it could possibly slide out. On mine it's held in by a bolt that has some locktite on it and was torqued with a torque wrench to the specified value.

Well you can decelerate just by twisting it. The key is to get the tension just right with the included washers so that it doesn't completely restrict throttle movement. You just want it to provide enough tension to hold it in one spot.

Try doing that when most of your weight is no the bars. The 954 is laid out very differently from the Bandit. On the latter it would be a non-issue.

I messed with the washers quite a bit on mine to come up with a tension I was happy with. Not sure how it could possibly slide out. On mine it's held in by a bolt that has some locktite on it and was torqued with a torque wrench to the specified value.

Mine's held in by rubber O-rings, not bolts. I worked with it on installation to get it just so. i have no doubt it just slid out a bit. A good whack will fix that, but the other issues remain. Probably not my wisest purchase.

Try doing that when most of your weight is no the bars. The 954 is laid out very differently from the Bandit. On the latter it would be a non-issue.

Mine's held in by rubber O-rings, not bolts. I worked with it on installation to get it just so. i have no doubt it just slid out a bit. A good whack will fix that, but the other issues remain. Probably not my wisest purchase.
I can't see how putting weight on the handlebars would make it to where you couldn't move the throttle. If that were the case you'd never be able to move the throttle. Like I said, properly installed, it provides just enough tension to stop the throttle return spring. Not enough tension to where it's not easily overcame by your wrist.

I suspect the larger issue is that on your bike it's difficult to install it correctly. I imagine it'd be a major PITA to try and get the tension and stuff just right if it's not held on by a bolt which provides a consistent installation that doesn't move on its own.

I can't see how putting weight on the handlebars would make it to where you couldn't move the throttle. If that were the case you'd never be able to move the throttle. Like I said, properly installed, it provides just enough tension to stop the throttle return spring. Not enough tension to where it's not easily overcame by your wrist.

Like many things, it might be different for you. I've just found it difficult to operate, for example keeping the throttle open while engaging the thing is a real challenge.

I suspect the larger issue is that on your bike it's difficult to install it correctly. I imagine it'd be a major PITA to try and get the tension and stuff just right if it's not held on by a bolt which provides a consistent installation that doesn't move on its own.

Yeah, there's no bolt on mine and no tension. Just O-rings holding it in. No biggie, I use the 954 around town mostly.

The key is to not leave your comfort zone unless you're damn certain you can get away with it, and the only place I know where you can do that is the track.

The roads Kimberly is describing are full of blind curves and sweepers. Truly, no place for a noob on a sportbike.

I knew a bunch of guys who were faster than everyone. A couple died. I bet by now the rest are either dead or riding Harleys.

Thanks, I agree. When I got there (truly a great road) I thought: holy crap I should not be here, this is super dangerous.

Here is the road got these from Google, the riders are NOT me:

320533606_DNktY-M.jpg

images

Thanks, I agree. When I got there (truly a great road) I thought: holy crap I should not be here, this is super dangerous.

Here is the road got these from Google, the riders are NOT me:

Forgive me, I was thinking of Palomar Mountain road and its ilk, where you hit the line wrong you go off a cliff. That said, any road can be quite dangerous if taken at the wrong speed by the wrong rider. Good you stopped riding with that crowd, bad you gave up on bikes. They're way cool, and loads cheaper than airplanes. And you can ride all year round.

Back