Maas885

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Maas885
Hello, I'm wanting to start my IFR training but need to do some upgrades to make my 182Q IFR check ride ready. Was hoping I could just pop a Garmin GPS 175 for now but I think I might have to do some other stuff to make it IFR Check ride ready? It is ADS-B out already and it was IFR certified when I bought the aircraft but it's very outdated avionics. Trying to do it cheap as I just had the motor rebuilt back to Zero Time and added a PowerFlow exhaust. I don't plan on flying hard IFR once I get my rating but plan to stay proficient, so I don't need top of the line. Want to stay Garmin tho. If I have to add something like a BENDIX KING KX 155A NAV/COM WITH G/S as a back up I'd be fine with that. I'm also open to a GNS430WAAS, GNS530WAAS. Maybe a GTN650 If I absolutely have to. Any help is greatly appreciated!IMG_0545.jpegIMG_0546.jpeg1E2BFB24-2286-4247-B7B8-9000F94A5946.jpeg

Attachments

• 1E2BFB24-2286-4247-B7B8-9000F94A5946.jpeg
    1E2BFB24-2286-4247-B7B8-9000F94A5946.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 12
You need to be able to do one precision approach (ILS, but LPV counts if the minimums are low enough) and two nonprecision approaches of different types.

With what you’ve got in the panel, ILS, VOR, and Localizer are definitely available. IIRC, the KLN90B can do GPS LNAV approaches, so that would be one of the nonprecision available, and a GPS approach is required if so equipped.

looks like you’re good to go as-is.

You don't need anything else for the checkride, as long as your nav/com plays ILS with glideslope on your HSI.
(Though you might want to review setup and usage of your KMA 20 audio panel ;))

Might also want to check that there's an ILS approach at or near the airport where you'll take the check ride. :)

FAR 91.205(d)
(2) Two-way radio communication and navigation equipment suitable for the route to be flown.
is pretty vague, I think that is what the OP is asking here.
I know someone who is very happy flying IFR with two navcoms and an ADF.

As owner, there’s lots of things to remember for the check ride, here are a couple I’ve never managed to finish:

You need a compass rose airport and, presumably, a qualified mechanic, to verify the accuracy of your compass and update your compass card. Has to be done within x days of check ride.

VOR accuracy test. (Did you pass the written? I can’t remember the wording.) Within 30 days of check ride, in flight variance check. Must be 6 (iirc) degrees or less. I think it’s 4 degrees if on ground. No mechanic sign off required. Some say to leave a log on the plane so the dpe can see the history plus it’s a good reminder to do it regularly.

Working clock/timer. I think it’s supposed to be in dash (not your phone which might be left in the car or packed in a bag) with seconds.

GPS database (if any) is current

Plane paperwork needs to be in order too. Registration, airworthiness, IFR certification within 2 years iirc, etc

I’m sure there’s a complete and accurate list on the internet somewhere. I just remember that my 50 year old intermittent clock and 30 year old compass card wouldn’t pass.

Anyway, good luck

Don't get a GNS 430/530 as the install will be close to the cost of an already 25yr old piece of equipment. I'llbe sellingmy 430W next year and upgradingto an avidyne. However, The 175 is your lowest cost option. But seriously with the cost of labor at a reputable shop, 375 it, if you have to go Garmin for all around goodness.

I am on the same boat, recently bought a 1978Q and started doing IFR training. I do have a GTN 750 so that helps tremendously for situational awareness, on the other hand I have a regular DG (no heading bug) so remembering heading assignments are a big pain.

I am still considering between getting a Dynon Skyview vs dual G5/GI 275. The first one is way more expensive, but it is a nicer setup. The latter is relatively cheap, but if you want to get engine monitoring or autopilot down the line then in total the cost would be similar to a dynon setup but you won’t have as much screen space.

There is also Aspen 1000 but I haven’t looked too much into it.

I would say you should go fly some approaches with an instructor using what you have and re-evaluate once you have some idea of all this is going to work for you. If all you ever want to do is get on top and cruise maybe what you have is fine.

I'm not familiar with the KLN90, are you able to update the DBs? You have to have a current database to use it for approaches in actual nomatter what GPS you use. For training in VFR conditions it doesn't matter though so you've got time to think. If you are going to be flying approaches as a GA single engine piston pilot being able to fly RNAV(GPS) approaches is a must. You'll find that a lot of the small uncontrolled airports have GPS approaches and nothing else available. You may also want to learn about the difference between LPV, LNAV/VNAV, and LNAV +V along with finding out if your GPS can do all of those approach types.

Maybe someone familliar with both the King and Garmin units can speak to what you gain with Garmin. I've always been told the Garmin GPS is a lot nicer and does more for you but I can't speak from experience as I've never used a King.

My plane has a 530W and I plan to keep using it as long as it's still working and I can get updates. That said, I wouldn't install one now. Garmin put out a letter basically saying there's a limited supply of repair parts left and when those run out no more repairs. Maybe if someone gave you one for free and you're buddies with an avionics guy who will 'hook you up'. Labor is a HUGE chunk of the installation price on this stuff, if you're spending it get the current model. I know it's ridiculously expensive but I think it will end up being a buy once cry once situation instead of spending a slightly smaller pile of cash now and spending it yet again in a few more years.

I might be wrong here but I don't think an aircraft has to necessarily able to legally fly IFR for a checkride, just have all the equipment necessary to do the tests. I've never heard of any requirements for a compass other than having one with a correction card.

Trying to do it cheap as I just had the motor rebuilt back to Zero Time and added a PowerFlow exhaust.

Sorry to distract from the avionics question. I'm also doing a 0-time engine and considering the PowerFlow for my C182. Can you share any feedback on this product?

Thank you

IMHO while legally you don’t have to have GPS, given the rapidly shrinking numbers of VOR towers and the number of ILS approaches, please get a GPS system. Highly suggest the GTN 650. Just pay / take the pain and have a usable IFR plane.

This is almost exactly what i had for my checkride.

Assuming everything works, should be OK.

In real life you'll probably want to start looking at an upgrade plan since almost everything is end of life. Be careful though...it's a slippery slope and can eat all your money.

Back