the "not worthy of it's own thread" thread

Saw this on Trade-A-Plane.. It's a $250k C177RG. I had to click on it when I saw that price tag.
Question, what is the practical use case of having 2 GTN750s? I don't think I've ever seen a plane loaded out like that before.
Would the second unit really just be serving as a NAV/COM unit on steroids? It just seems like a really expensive configuration.
eyJidWNrZXQiOiJ0YXAtYXNzZXRzMSIsImVkaXRzIjp7InJlc2l6ZSI6eyJmaXQiOiJjb250YWluIiwiYmFja2dyb3VuZCI6eyJhbHBoYSI6MSwiciI6MjU1LCJiIjoyNTUsImciOjI1NX19LCJzbWFydE92ZXJsYXkiOnsiYnVja2V0IjoidGFwLWFzc2V0czEiLCJrZXkiOiJ3YXRlcm1hcmsucG5nIn19LCJrZXkiOiIxMDgxMzMzLmpwZyJ9

Saw this on Trade-A-Plane.. It's a $250k C177RG. I had to click on it when I saw that price tag.
Question, what is the practical use case of having 2 GTN750s? I don't think I've ever seen a plane loaded out like that before.
Would the second unit really just be serving as a NAV/COM unit on steroids? It just seems like a really expensive configuration.
eyJidWNrZXQiOiJ0YXAtYXNzZXRzMSIsImVkaXRzIjp7InJlc2l6ZSI6eyJmaXQiOiJjb250YWluIiwiYmFja2dyb3VuZCI6eyJhbHBoYSI6MSwiciI6MjU1LCJiIjoyNTUsImciOjI1NX19LCJzbWFydE92ZXJsYXkiOnsiYnVja2V0IjoidGFwLWFzc2V0czEiLCJrZXkiOiJ3YXRlcm1hcmsucG5nIn19LCJrZXkiOiIxMDgxMzMzLmpwZyJ9
1 too many CDIs. I’d rather get either a M7-235 or a B55 for the same price.

I can’t think of how it would be used.

Would rather spend the money on an autopilot.

I wish seller well on getting $250k.

@Martin Pauly has two 750's I believe. I think the idea is that if you're going to have a backup GPS unit, you might as well pay up for the big screen. You can then have one displaying a moving map and one displaying terrain or dedicated to traffic for example. Personally I think in the case above a G3X touch would've been a far better use of the money. BWTHDIK.

@Martin Pauly has two 750's I believe. I think the idea is that if you're going to have a backup GPS unit, you might as well pay up for the big screen. You can then have one displaying a moving map and one displaying terrain or dedicated to traffic for example. Personally I think in the case above a G3X touch would've been a far better use of the money. BWTHDIK.

either that or you're sponsored......

$250k is also probably “honey, honest - I’m trying to sell the plane”.

Yeah, I suppose that could make sense in theory. Certainly seems like the single most expensive way to have a backup GPS and to have a dedicated screen for monitoring traffic (how many 500$ iPads that show traffic could you buy with that money?). But hey, if you got money to burn...

I suspect the 250k$ price tag is fueled by optimism and a desire to recuperate those avionics dollars...

I suspect the 250k$ price tag is fueled by optimism and a desire to recuperate those avionics dollars...
Looking at the registration history, it last changed owners January 2023. Someone's attempt at a quick flip?

To be fair, its IO-390 is a pretty significant engine upgrade.

I was today years old when I found out about America's Great Loop. Well, Yesterday. Challenge accepted.

@Martin Pauly has two 750's I believe. I think the idea is that if you're going to have a backup GPS unit, you might as well pay up for the big screen.
Yes, I have two GTN750s. Prior to the GTNs, I had two Avidyne IFDs: a large IFD550, and a small IFD440. What I found is that everything was much easier to do on the large screen than the small one (no surprise, I guess), which basically meant that the IFD440 was really only used as a second radio. I decided back than that at the next upgrade point I would go for two large GPS/NAV/COMs instead, so that they would both be useful.

The way I use them is I have some sort of map on the top unit, and the flight plan (waypoint list) on the bottom unit. That way I have both a textual and a graphical presentation of my flight plan available at any time. Looking at the panel which started this question, which has two GI-275s but no other MFD, I think that makes sense.

From what I have seen, two large GPS/NAV/COMs aren't too common, but this configuration is certainly not unheard of. I've seen a number of cockpits with either two GTN750s or two large IFDs.

- Martin

Yes, I have two GTN750s. Prior to the GTNs, I had two Avidyne IFDs: a large IFD550, and a small IFD440. What I found is that everything was much easier to do on the large screen than the small one (no surprise, I guess), which basically meant that the IFD440 was really only used as a second radio. I decided back than that at the next upgrade point I would go for two large GPS/NAV/COMs instead, so that they would both be useful.

The way I use them is I have some sort of map on the top unit, and the flight plan (waypoint list) on the bottom unit. That way I have both a textual and a graphical presentation of my flight plan available at any time. Looking at the panel which started this question, which has two GI-275s but no other MFD, I think that makes sense.

From what I have seen, two large GPS/NAV/COMs aren't too common, but this configuration is certainly not unheard of. I've seen a number of cockpits with either two GTN750s or two large IFDs.

- Martin

I see you edited your original post…..for the record, I never said you got them for free, I said there is a (probably pretty good) chance you are sponsored. Are you sponsored in any way by Garmin?

I was confused about why people would steal highway mile marker 420. A little google and, I guess, there is association with the "weed culture". Don't know what it is and really don't care.

But why do we still need highway mile markers? emergency responders would probably have GPS, so mile markers won't help them specifically. Let's face it, almost anyone reporting an accident on the highway probably has GPS,

Maybe mile markers have diminished utility...

I was confused about why people would steal highway mile marker 420. A little google and, I guess, there is association with the "weed culture". Don't know what it is and really don't care.

But why do we still need highway mile markers? emergency responders would probably have GPS, so mile markers won't help them specifically. Let's face it, almost anyone reporting an accident on the highway probably has GPS,

I like them because I can figure out how long before my exit if I know the exit number. Then I just need to watch traffic and a clock.

I like mile markers because it gives me the distance remaining without taking my eyes from the road. In VMC I like to look at the road/traffic, but in IMC, I'm parked somewhere.

They're mainly for motorists to know where they are. True no one uses maps any more, but also, no one knows where they actually are, either. I can't tell you how many times we've been dispatched to the interstate and the incident is actually near another town or several miles from where we're dispatched to. Having a marker every mile means that someone can usually give some kind of an idea where something is. I presume road MX crews also make use of them.

I was confused about why people would steal highway mile marker 420.

The signs for highway 666 used to come up missing quite often, so the highway number was changed to 491.

My mom's dad had a little to do with the naming of highway 666. He was an engineer for the highway department. The state of New Mexico wanted north/south roads crossing Rt 66. My grand dad was part of the team to design and build those roads. During the design stage the first road to cross Rt 66 was called 166. The second road to cross Rt 66 was called 266. The third road was called 366, and so on. A total of 6 north/south roads were built crossing route 66. And for some unknown reason, the numbers transferred from the blue prints to the highway signs.

cf47057a479f58aa59a1df598fe613b3--ghost-pictures-news-mexico.jpg

I guess I'm a bit of a Luddite since I still use both my GPS and paper maps/charts. The old full color-printed charts (both nautical and aeronautical) are works of art, in my opinion. I still use them to plan occasional road trips and dream of exotic journeys/destinations.

Nowadays, I check out routes and destinations via Googol Earth and GPS.

They're mainly for motorists to know where they are. True no one uses maps any more, but also, no one knows where they actually are, either. I can't tell you how many times we've been dispatched to the interstate and the incident is actually near another town or several miles from where we're dispatched to. Having a marker every mile means that someone can usually give some kind of an idea where something is. I presume road MX crews also make use of them.
And on the other hand, I use the mile markers and match them to the exit number to know how far to go. Then when the "next exit 5 miles" sign appears, and I know it is only 4 miles based on the mile marker, I revel in my mathematical superiority.

I use them to figure out how close to accurate my speedometer reads. Also handy for figuring out how far you are from a state line, or figuring out the relative position of others on the same route… family members, etc.

I use them to figure out how close to accurate my speedometer reads. Also handy for figuring out how far you are from a state line, or figuring out the relative position of others on the same route… family members, etc.
Be careful about using mileposts to check your speed. For many years, Mile 0 of a state highway was at its junction with a US highway in the middle of my town. When the oil boom hit and they finally realigned both the US and state highways to bypass town, I was surprised to see that they did not adjust the state highway mileposts east of town at all and had not put in a pair of AH/BK signs like they're supposed to when the mileposts are disjointed. I measured it and it turns out they just spaced mileposts 0-4 out to fill the 5-1/2 miles of highway between the new Mile 0 sign and the old Mile 5 sign. I haven't asked how the state highway patrol plans to identify locations between the point 1 mile after the milepost and the next milepost, since they use a system of reference points based on (IIRC) two-digit decimal mileage along the road.

First conclusion: In some places, you can go 60 mph but take more or less than 60 seconds to drive one "mile."

Second conclusion: The lost understanding of something as basic as mileposts has already spread from the people who drive on the road to the people who build it.

People can make fun of Illinois all they want. At least I don't have to live in this ridiculousness.

FB_IMG_1687127392792.jpg

- Martin
If you had to do it over, would you do one GTN 750 and a G3 instead of two GTN 750's? Seems that if you want the same flight plan showing on both screens you need to input - without any error - the same thing twice. And... which one drives the autopilot?

You don't have to enter the flight plan twice, they crossfill. Enter on either one, and it pushes to the other. They won't crossfill to competitors, but in the family works. Garmin also won't cross WAAS to non-WAAS. With his 3 Aspen setup, either will drive the AP since the 750's are feeding the Aspens, which are feeding the AP.

People can make fun of Illinois all they want. At least I don't have to live in this ridiculousness.

View attachment 118177

Back in the 80s and early 90s I used to drive a tanker truck into Houston. This was before trucks were required to have air conditioners*. 93 degrees in the shade would have been considered comfortable. But the humidity took comfortable and threw it out the window.

*I had 2/55 AC in the truck. 2 windows down, 55MPH... 55 was the national speed limit then...:frown2:

Back in the 80s and early 90s I used to drive a tanker truck into Houston. This was before trucks were required to have air conditioners*. 93 degrees in the shade would have been considered comfortable. But the humidity took comfortable and threw it out the window.

*I had 2/55 AC in the truck. 2 windows down, 55MPH... 55 was the national speed limit then...:frown2:
I lived in Houston for a number of years. Met my wife there. Don't plan on going back. That screen grab was from a friend bemoaning his lot in life. I told him living there is a choice. A bad one.

I lived in Houston for a number of years. Met my wife there. Don't plan on going back.

I was born and raised in Bryan. While not Houston, I have no plans to go back to the inferno.

Friend of mine here in Gallup took a job in Houston last year. He was back in 6 months... :lol::lol:

If you had to do it over, would you do one GTN 750 and a G3 instead of two GTN 750's? Seems that if you want the same flight plan showing on both screens you need to input - without any error - the same thing twice. And... which one drives the autopilot?
I would do it the same way again (i.e. two GTN 750s). GPS is important, so I think a second (backup) GPS makes sense. I'm OK without another large MFD (flight plan map) in front of me, so a G3X, G500TXi or similar would simply show a large PFD.

As for which one drives the autopilot... the NAV source selection happens on the PFD, so I select GPS1 or GPS2 there.

Regards,
Martin

So when it’s 10 below in Feb and you’re still in IL ……….

I have family here atm from south Texas. On multiple occasions they have mentioned how nice our summers are... even while I'm grumbling how long it takes for oil temp to get in the green :D

So when it’s 10 below in Feb and you’re still in IL ……….
I will be happy. That's what.

I was supposed to be in Dallas next week for business. I've been sick going into its third week. Won't be up to traveling. Darn.

Hey - all those astronaut people live in Houston - can’t be that bad.

Back