the "not worthy of it's own thread" thread

Had an interesting call today. Deer jumps out in front of a small car (whatever the Hyundai equivalent of a corolla is) at about 1pm. Small car nails his brakes, then gets plowed into by a semi, putting the rear bumper about where the back seat goes. Truck then loses control, his the bridge abutment hard enough to rip the front axle out from under it, jacknife it, and set it on fire. Truck comes to rest on the bridge across both lanes of traffic. Here's the kicker: trailer is a load of "big green egg" brand hardwood lump charcoal (good stuff).

Miraculously, no injuries. Well, except for the deer, not much left of him, but it turns out that you just can't spray enough water to put out a 53' van full of charcoal. Towing company brought in an excavator and a skidsteer. Excavator ripped the trailer open and the skid spread the charcoal out on the road so we could put it out one bucket full at a time. Then the whole mess had to be loaded into dumpsters and the bridge inspected for damage. I57 northbound closed for about 8 hours, which is really rare.

Ironically, ISP was running a special speed detail in that area today, which obviously they didn't get to complete.

IMG_20230621_160311549_HDR.jpg

Also, we had a call this morning that I missed; one I've been waiting for for 22 years. A cat stuck in a tree. No joke. Kinda disappointed I missed it. Chief pulled it out himself. I told him that now he can retire... he's seen it all.

So let me get this straight, you had a good cooking fire going and fresh venison on hand?
:drool:
Believe me, these facts were not lost on the 30 or so volunteers on hand. Unfortunately we had less than half of a deer, and what wasn't a red stain on the pavement was pretty road rashed.

Yikes. That’s a fairly major interstate to be closed that long.

..., but it turns out that you just can't spray enough water to put out a 53' van full of charcoal.

I guess that makes sense.

(glad that no one was hurt)

My mother sends me this pic, and asks if its okay to drive on.

I said no it's not, and drove over there, took the wheel off, and went to town, had the tire replaced, went back and reinstalled it on her suv.

Attachments

• 20230622_114400.jpg
    20230622_114400.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 45
Reactions: WDD
I saved a headline from a 'news service' in a wide spot in the road in Missouri known as Uranus posted when the Wiener Mobile went through Uranus that the rules of conduct will not allow me to post. Just use your imagination and you'll probably be close to correct.

Worth mentioning that the once printed paper now news service is called the "Uranus Examiner"

Nauga,
who is never too old to be immature

Had to run over to the youngest's place to let her dog out - but of course it's "Cruzin' Downriver" weekend. Not quite as big a pita as the "Woodward Dream Cruise" but...

Anyhow, got to wondering - do people in other parts of the country do this **** or is it just a S.E. Michigan thing?

(Always fun when the guy in the supercharged Mustang GT that is a full two car lengths behind you decides to do a burnout...)

Never heard of it, but sounds fun.

It sounds like fun to me. I not only have the airplane disease, but also the classic car/hotrod disease. I'm beyond all hope.

Today I bought a $130 chuck for a $100 drill press. I'm not sad about that, but the phrase "lipstick on a pig" keeps popping into my mind.

We watched the movie "somewhere in time" this evening in preparation for our mackinac trip. I think i'd rather have mono.

We watched the movie "somewhere in time" this evening in preparation for our mackinac trip. I think i'd rather have mono.

I’m sorry to hear the news. I for one will certainly not make a snide remark about turning in your man card, that you must also like your stories in afternoon TV, and how you’ve watched every Meryl Streep movie made.

On a side note, where are you staying? I looked at rooms at various hotels there and see that they are booked into 2024!

If it makes you feel any better, I now feel better about buying the $130 chuck. The money I can earn back. Those 100+ minutes sound terrible.

The "metivier inn", as recommended by @kaiser. Booked about 4 months ago.

WRT the movie.... even Teresa admitted it was bad....

You flying to that island’s airport? Or something else?

I was born and raised in Bryan. While not Houston, I have no plans to go back to the inferno.

Friend of mine here in Gallup took a job in Houston last year. He was back in 6 months... :lol::lol:
I lived in Bryan for a hot minute 2003-2006. Does the name Sodolak's bring it all back for you?

I started to watch "split second"... couldn't make it past the first 30 minutes.

But "Dune" is the all time worst movie.

The "metivier inn", as recommended by @kaiser. Booked about 4 months ago.

WRT the movie.... even Teresa admitted it was bad....
When are you headed up there? Is this for when you are picking me up for Oshkosh?

When are you headed up there? Is this for when you are picking me up for Oshkosh?
no, that's thursday the 25th. bring your own tent.

we're going to MI tomorrow. 16th anniversary. We were wanting to do something special for our 15th, but we're bad at math apparently.

I started to watch "split second"... couldn't make it past the first 30 minutes.

I enjoyed new-Dune... Can't stand old Dune

no, that's thursday the 25th. bring your own tent.

we're going to MI tomorrow. 16th anniversary. We were wanting to do something special for our 15th, but we're bad at math apparently.
Nice! enjoy!

Which one? The new one wasn't horrible, it was just a short bit of a movie. The 1984 version... one of the few movies I've actually walked out of in the middle.

Clearly you have not yet seen "The Velocipastor"

Nauga,
a man of the claw

I can’t quite grasp thinking about trying to find a really really bad movie if you know what I mean So I don’t think I’ll take a peak at velocipastor

I'm not so much into the trend of newer movies trying to be bad on purpose (Sharknado, et al.), but I do enjoy sincere but atrocious efforts at the craft. "Films" such as The Room, Samurai Cop, Troll 2, and Birdemic scratch my funny itch pretty well.

Then there are the movies that try to be preachy serious and end up being hilarious - over the top stupid kool-aid drunk.

"Extrapolations" is one such movie.

oops - my bad. "Extrapolations" is a "series" running on Apple TV+

I couldn't get through the first episode, but I was laughing at it the whole time.

Back