the "not worthy of it's own thread" thread

Why do high wing planes like the Skyhawk, Skylane, Tecnam need wing struts, but low wing planes don't?

Why do high wing planes like the Skyhawk, Skylane, Tecnam need wing struts, but low wing planes don't?
There are exceptions:
cessna_210_ext.jpg

cessna-cardinal-640x427.jpg

N4780R-1975-Cessna-A188B-AgWagon-1090x500.jpg

tschopp.jpg

Curious as to why the expense of a stronger spar doesn’t offset the expense of the struts and increased drag?

Space & cost. The spar carrythrough in the 177 & 210 is a beautiful and EXPENSIVE piece of machined aluminum:

cessna-1710703-8-use-1710705-2-cessna-177rg-carry-thru-spar-repaired-w-8130__49161.jpg

On a piper it's a sheetmetal box. They can do that because your back seat is sitting on it, so the size matters less. Move that same box overhead and it's a problem. Instead Cessna made it much smaller and used struts to essentially make the whole fuselage into the carrythrough.

The one I don't understand is the Aerostar.

Reactions: WDD
This might actually be worth of a post but...

Every once in a while I'll get an email from a fellow club member seeing if I want to split XC time. I have to be honest, I don't understand what this means, nor why I would want to do it. I can't log time unless they're under the hood, or it's a two pilot plane... So are these folks planning on flying under the hood for hours on end? I actually don't recall that being appropriate as sim IMC is meant for approaches and maneuvers? Or am I expected to sit there not booking hours? only to get TT/PIC when I'm PF? and only pay then?

I can do that by myself.
I'll take a stab at making this make sense. If you and I fly from Chicagoland to Nashville to log some X-C, You would fly to BNA and I would fly back. You would log PIC there and I would log PIC back. We would split the rental fee. Instead of me flying the same 51 NM trip over and over, I got to fly to Nashville and only pay for half of that trip.

Two years ago today, I had just passed my checkride! I am hoping that I get my act together and that the next two years have a significant increase in hours flown over the last two years. :)

Two years ago today, I had just passed my checkride! I am hoping that I get my act together and that the next two years have a significant increase in hours flown over the last two years. :)
Go get that instrument!

What about your act is stopping you?

Part of it is just life in general and all its little crises and budgetary considerations and me allowing them to get in the way, but frankly, it is most likely primarily nervousness about the airspace/new airport. I will hopefully alleviate most of it through my upcoming flight review (which I need to bite the bullet and schedule...:p ). If you take a peek at the sectional for KHEG, and then at KEST, it may shed some light on my difficulties getting comfortable flying in this very different environment!

Part of it is just life in general and all its little crises and budgetary considerations and me allowing them to get in the way, but frankly, it is most likely primarily nervousness about the airspace/new airport. I will hopefully alleviate most of it through my upcoming flight review (which I need to bite the bullet and schedule...:p ). If you take a peek at the sectional for KHEG, and then at KEST, it may shed some light on my difficulties getting comfortable flying in this very different environment!
Are you afraid of magenta rockets?

Send it!!!!

Are you afraid of magenta rockets?

I probably should be afraid of those, but I'm more worried about the fact that even a little wider of a pattern than normal will result in busting another airport's airspace. The margins are just a lot smaller than I'm used to, I think, so it is a lot more stressful than it was when the nearest airspace to bust was at least 30 nm away. :cool:

I think you'll get used to it pretty quick. Maybe another flight with a CFI or another pilot who knows the area well after the Flight Review. I remember when you was getting your private a few years ago and sharing the journey here on POA. You seem pretty sharp.

If you hang with the POA, you must be sharp :) .

FWIW - my airport is under the ATL bravo, right next to an Air Force base, right next to another D airport, etc. If I can figure it out, trust me - you’ll be fine. Great idea by Luvflying to fly with a CFI wi get the feel of it.

Last edited:
...it is most likely primarily nervousness about the airspace/new airport....

I'm going to assume you aren't the first one to do pattern work there. maybe hang around the airport and just watch planes, bring a radio and listen on freq (since it doesn't look like they're on liveatc).

One word: landmarks!:)

I'm working on it! I already know my landmarks for staying in the pattern for the "usual" runway, and I just need to get out my sectional and really study the surrounding area so I am more comfortable with the lay of the land.

I'm going to assume you aren't the first one to do pattern work there. maybe hang around the airport and just watch planes, bring a radio and listen on freq (since it doesn't look like they're on liveatc).

It is a very busy airport, so I am definitely not the first one to do pattern work there! When I took the plane up two weeks ago, there were five of us in the pattern, a couple planes transiting the area overhead (low, probably to stay under the Jax airspace), a guy wanting to come in on a practice approach, and a guy doing taxi testing on the other runway. During one of my checkout flights there, I was doing circuits and a glider towplane was doing circuits just slightly offset and lower from mine without bothering to talk to me, towing gliders up (which I had to avoid on downwind. :p ). It is a non-towered airport, so it can get super "interesting" at times. :)

Well crap. Was driving my forklift between buildings, and felt a big bump. Turned around to see it was my cordless driver.

Kind of sad because it's the first cordless tool I ever bought, almost 20 years ago now, and I wanted to see how long it would last. I probably use it more than any other tool I own. Good news is the battery survived. Also kind of excited that Amazon had the new brushless version available, with a battery, for about the cost of the battery alone. So I ordered two.

And because I know someone will ask: Makita

Although unknown to the populace at large, you have been confronted with a most powerful force of nature: "The most useful tool is the first to be lost, destroyed or "borrowed" never to return." R.I.P. cherished tool.

I think there's a pun lurking somewhere within that second sentence, but I'm not sure ...

Well crap. Was driving my forklift between buildings, and felt a big bump. Turned around to see it was my cordless driver.

Kind of sad because it's the first cordless tool I ever bought, almost 20 years ago now, and I wanted to see how long it would last. I probably use it more than any other tool I own. Good news is the battery survived. Also kind of excited that Amazon had the new brushless version available, with a battery, for about the cost of the battery alone. So I ordered two.

And because I know someone will ask: Makita
Can you still leave a review for the original purchase 20 years ago? "Unable to support weight of forklift. Would not recommend using as a heavy equipment ramp."

How did you know?
Driving over a painted lane marker with a forklift results in a big bump.
This a "pneumatic" tire forklift. In quotes because they are foam filled. It actually does pretty well in the gravel driveway, and even in the yard if it's not too wet. Of course as you say, it's a bumpy ride..which is what bounced the tool off the pallet it was riding on. Running over the impact damn near threw me out of the seat :rollercoaster:

I did a few things today. not too much, just about enough for a sunday. oh and I also just ate dinner. a homemade calzone. well mostly homemade. actually not homemade at all, let's call it "home assembled". pretty good actually but now my fat a$$ is stuffed.

I did nothing today. Relaxed by the shore of a lake in MN on vacation. Didn’t even fish, which netted me just as many walleye as the rest of the crew. And someone else is making dinner, whatever it is, then it’s time to hone my backwoods cocktail craft.

I did nothing today. Relaxed by the shore of a lake in MN on vacation. Didn’t even fish, which netted me just as many walleye as the rest of the crew. And someone else is making dinner, whatever it is, then it’s time to hone my backwoods cocktail craft.
That sounds amazing.

I just finished mowing the yard of a house I no longer live in, in 90+ degree heat and a similar number for humidity. It hasn't rained for 3 weeks, so my eyes feel like they're coated with sand. MN sounds real, real nice right about now.

I didn’t buy an airplane this weekend.

I just spent 10 minutes watching a video about a wheel nut. And my geek spirit animal approved.
I'm not to the end yet, but did you catch that he said (at 7:00) that right-side wheel nuts are anodized red and left-side nuts green? I paused and looked at the document closer and it does show LEFT HAND - RED and RIGTH [sic] HAND - GREEN. One wonders how the debate on this went, between using the nautical green/red colors to mean the threadedness of the nuts or to mean the side of the car they go on. I say "one wonders" because I believe I'm the only one wondering this.

No, I did not notice the discongruity that you did of the red vs green left / right vs standard nautical protocol. That is why you are our great leader …. :)

I don't know but I'm truly getting sick and tired of renting. One place has students book all day every day into forever. The next place books big long trips into forever. The third place has one rental in the middle of my desired XC trip. The fourth place (DA40) requires flight school owner approval to fly XCs and grounds all planes around holidays (i.e. July 4). Because of the mission, I can't take the J3 and don't want to take the 170. The Mooney is still in the shop and I don't have hours in the PA30 (that is always available) for insurance. The DA42 is a 3 hr daily minimum at 385/hr and has inop aux tanks so a simple flight - say Chicago to KC requires a fuel stop.

:mad:

I don't know but I'm truly getting sick and tired of renting. One place has students book all day every day into forever. The next place books big long trips into forever. The third place has one rental in the middle of my desired XC trip. The fourth place (DA40) requires flight school owner approval to fly XCs and grounds all planes around holidays (i.e. July 4). Because of the mission, I can't take the J3 and don't want to take the 170. The Mooney is still in the shop and I don't have hours in the PA30 (that is always available) for insurance. The DA42 is a 3 hr daily minimum at 385/hr and has inop aux tanks so a simple flight - say Chicago to KC requires a fuel stop.

:mad:
How much PA32 time do you have now? Fly the J3 down here and take mine. I'm sure we can work out the financials. :)

Back