Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Flight Following' started by Ryanb, Nov 6, 2018.
Correlation or causation?
I hadn’t announced my intentions, so I’m going with dumb ass luck.
If I go, you are welcome to come with me. I'm iffy weather wise, though. I'm taking a DA40 and haven't flown G1000 regularly for 5+ years. This is a nice post-checkout "reacquaintance" flight, but my personal IFR minimums are pretty high due to the layoff.
And, of course, if too many can't go, it is not quite as much fun.
We will see how the WX goes. And whether my airport scrapes the snow off the runway by then.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where are you based? Sounds like not GSO
W88 (7nm NE of GSO)
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks Mark, I wouldn't mind riding in a shiny new DA40 G1000...
Thanks Mark... This time I have my wife with me to bring to GMU. But if she decides to back out, I'll give you a shout..
Just going by the hourly it looks like I might be able to get a quick flight from Clemson to Greenville in for lunch. Will start looking at the charts later today and make a game time decision tomorrow.
I hate it when the weather guys predict bad weather and then wind up being accurate.
Not looking good, will make the call tomorrow.
I’ve really been looking forward to this fly-in. This sucks.
Temperature in Greenville is forecast to be 57dF. Guessing ice won't be an issue.
The system is moving east. It gets better at GMU before it gets better at RDU. And the MOS for that time frame at both was actually better about an hour and a half ago.
This is GMU:
TOMORROW AT 11:00 AM EST
Wind 060° at 5 kts
Visibility 2 sm
Clouds (AGL) Overcast 300'
Temperature 11°C (52°F)
Dewpoint 9°C (48°F)
Expires Tomorrow at 1:00 PM EST
TOMORROW AT 1:00 PM EST
Wind 210° at 8 kts
Visibility more than 6 sm
Clouds (AGL) Overcast 2,500'
Temperature 14°C (58°F)
Dewpoint 9°C (48°F)
Expires Tomorrow at 4:00 PM EST
TOMORROW AT 4:00 PM EST
We are waiting to see what the 18z TAF looks like and then make the call. I have my doubts that it'll work out, so I'll throw out some alternate dates for a meetup after the first of the year in a day or so.
Ceiling forcasts are for 500-900 over the mountains, that isn't going to cut it for either of us at the moment.
Not hardly. No joy!
So have I man. We'll reschedule here soon! I still wouldn't mind doing a DKX meetup and trying Calhoun's on the River.
If it's just the mountains, couldn't you head to NELLO? That wouldn't be too much of a detour.
That's what we did last time on the return. There's still a good bit of high terrain out there that would require ceilings well above the 500-900 forecasted. Plus I'm still VFR so that rules that out.
Not sure I’d even want to fly it in LIFR with 300’ ceilings forecasted, to be honest.
SkewT-LogP for Atlanta at 10am tomorrow indicates a layer between 4 and 5,000'. For KGSP at the same time, not so good. But 24 hours is a long time in the weather game. I plan to go. So there should be 5 of us at least.
So it looks like we need to implement Plan B....
drive to Twin Peaks.
Not looking good for the VFR pilots:
KGMU 141737Z 1418/1518 04011G23KT 1 1/2SM -RA BR SCT004 OVC020
FM142100 03011KT 4SM -SHRA BR OVC004
TEMPO 1421/1501 2SM -SHRA BR OVC004
FM151400 07005KT 1 1/2SM BR VCSH OVC004
FM151700 14006KT 6SM BR VCSH BKN007
Every time I look it's worse.
Lastest (just now) predicts 700' ceilings at noon. And that would be the best weather for my trip. 300' ceilings at home throughout the day until about 4 pm.
Not the cup of tea for this IFR pilot.
Yeah, the GFA tool is depicting IFR and LIFR across the region and the TAFs aren’t looking any better.
I’m out fellas.
Let’s get a reschedule in the works!
Anything in your neck of the woods? I've never landed in Tennessee.
We’ve (@eman1200 and I) talked about doing DKX in Knoxville and then having lunch at Calhoun’s on the River which is about 3-5 miles away (Uber or Lyft). Maybe we can get something in the works after the new year.
Other than that, there’s not many local airfields that I know of with an onfield restaurant.
"Other than that, there are no local airfields with an onfield restaurant."
I’ve lived in the south my whole life, can you tell?
Feel free to schedule a new event, but the Southeast Pre-Christmas Meet-up (Runway Cafe Cafe @ GMU is going to happen. Apparently and unfortunately with fewer attendees, but the event is still on.
It’s still on for anyone who intends to go, didn’t mean to imply anything different. Doesn’t sound like the majority of us will be there, which is why I suggested a reschedule.
I wasn't correcting grammar, I was whining that there are no restaurants on airfields in East Tennessee!
CHA - Nope
RZR - Nope
MMI - Nope
MNV - Nope
KGT - Nope
TYS - Nope
MOR - Nope
RKW - Nope
JAU - Nope
I could go on, but I'd bore you to tears!
THA has a great barbeque place, but not on the field. It's only 5-10 min away and they have a SUV crew car.
Yeah it’s a bummer! Several years ago FGU (formerly 3M3) had a restaurant on field called the Sky View Café, but it’s no longer in business.
Damn western states.
Did anyone end up reserving the backroom for tomorrow?
From now on should we book the fly ins midweek? That way we're sure to have awesome weather on Saturday.
So we chat it up about Wednesday, but secretly we all know we're really gonna meet on Saturday? I think the Gods are smarter than that...
Not that we dont already know how this song sounds.. but here goes...
From my neck of the woods..
METAR: KRDU 151151Z 00000KT 1/4SM -RA FG OVC001 06/06 A2999 RMK AO2 SFC VIS 1/2
TAF: KRDU 151139Z 1512/1612 03005KT 1/2SM -RA FG OVC001
TEMPO 1512/1514 4SM RA BR SCT002 OVC012
FM151400 04005KT 2SM -RA BR OVC003
TEMPO 1515/1518 5SM RA BR SCT006 OVC016
FM151900 04005KT 1SM -DZ BR OVC005
FM160300 23002KT 1/2SM -DZ FG OVC002
FM161000 23005KT 2SM -DZ BR OVC004
METAR: KGMU 151153Z 02007KT 7SM OVC005 09/09 A2994 RMK AO2 SLP141 60009 70084 T00940089 10094 20089 53004
TAF: KGMU 151139Z 1512/1612 04004KT P6SM VCSH OVC004
FM151700 19004KT P6SM VCSH BKN006 OVC009
FM152300 22005KT P6SM BKN013
FM160300 25006KT P6SM SCT022 BKN040
well i dont like the last dance music, aka 712zulu TAF. I was holding out some glimmer of hope... but i am offically out.
will await some makeup dates...
I think some of the earlier, more optimistic forecasts were expecting the system to move through a bit more quickly.
We've had to cancel Young Eagles today.
N882BC will be wheels up in about 10 minutes.