Shortcuts to an aviation career?

And we can end the discussion of GG here...

I wasn't trying to troll, I sincerely did not know that such topic was heresy on here. Personally I don't have a dog on that fight, but in the interest of keeping the thread on topic, it could be said that being a female in professional aviation can lend itself to having a quicker line to a six figure income. This of course, is an avenue not available to the OP, so we can effectively cease buzzer on its discussion as well.

I wasn't trying to troll, I sincerely did not know that such topic was heresy on here. Personally I don't have a dog on that fight, but in the interest of keeping the thread on topic, it could be said that being a female in professional aviation can lend itself to having a quicker line to a six figure income. This of course, is an avenue not available to the OP, so we can effectively cease buzzer on its discussion as well.

We know. And definitely off the original topic. But she came up in normal discussion like happens in normal discussions.

When a multinational aviation company is getting free marketing from an attractive blue eyed blonde girl all over social media, and their lawyers (who usually have better things to do) hand her a cease and desist order, that's enough information right there, to know everything isn't kosher in Denmark. But a lot of people miss that.

The usual PR reaction to that, is to invite the social media personality to corporate HQ and film them taking a tour. Haha. Give 'em a nice company logo jacket. Freeeeeee marketing baby.

So... if common sense is taboo, I guess I'll be taboo.

We pick on all sorts of well known aviation personalities here when they do crazy stuff.

One Eyed Jack, Imhofe, Wagstaff, Earhart (the modern one), you name it, we discuss it. But not this one. The place has a phobia about picking on this one, and you couldn't possibly have known.

When Gulfstream Girl first appeared on the scene, I felt she demeaned the profession just by combining glamour shots and aviation. She also, at first anyway, called herself a "Gulfstream captain" because someone dropped the coin to type her, although she was by no stretch of the imagination capable of actually acting in a true PIC capacity in a turbojet aircraft. I didn't discuss her or respond anytime she came up - felt it was best just to ignore her. Then the sex scandal stuff popped up, which was really the icing on the cake.

There's a crewmember at my operation who has ten years of experience in Gulfstreams, was a chief pilot for an international pt. 91 BBJ operator and is a damn good pilot. Also happens to be female. She'd be a better choice to represent females in our profession, although she's the age you'd expect for someone with that experience and has spent her time honing her craft, not... doing what Nadia Marcinko was doing to get where she did.

She's not the ambassador we need for business aviation, or general aviation for that matter. Wish she would just disappear back into anonymity. She's a travesty.

Not just a phobia. Could find yourself in hot water like Wiki did last year when they posted a certain connection of hers. Power and money.

Huh. Didn't know that. Wiki is usually better than that. Got a link? Oh wait... LOL.

It's still a phobia... of lawyers and money.

How does the Barenaked Ladies song go?

"Get me a degree and I can work weekends. If I work real hard, I can mow your back yard..."

Fascinatingly, there's the real answer to the OPs question. Get the ratings and start kissing a LOT of very rich asses. It works. I've seen it. We all have. In every industry.

Not exactly a popular truth, but there it is. That is the only shortcut in any expensive endeavor. Kiss the ass of everyone you meet in that biz. In person. When you're broke, it's the only option you have.

Highly recommended as an add-on: Stay debt free in the process. It's much easier to walk out of a bad scene when you don't need the money. It also allows you to be honest with the boss, and there are bosses who value that. If they don't, you definitely want to move on anyway.

The only place I've ever worked where the bosses didn't value the truth for a number of years, the CEO was walked out in handcuffs. Everyone silently cheered, but only a few could make it happen. Most were scared. After you've seen that happen, you're not quite as scared anymore.

At least the OP wasn't scared to ask. The answer may not have been great news, but it's reality.

Online research complete! Go find some folks doing the job and start practicing your pucker face. The stories about stumbling into great gigs aren't how it usually goes.

Global Girl aka Gulfrsteam Girl (before Gulfstream sued her to knock it off, as they didn't want to have their branding associated with an accessory to human sexual traffcking and rape of a minor).

Ok, I have heard of her but not this controversy. Yikes!

Could it be the mission?

I mean it's got to get old working indirectly to bankrupt your neighbors, kill folks you have no personal beef with, all to help special interests. Ain't like you're fending off the Germans from invading.
Sad, slow, eye-rolling golf clap for the L O N G reach into a back handed insult jab..... must've been a slow day at the office.

Sad, slow, eye-rolling golf clap for the L O N G reach into a back handed insult jab..... must've been a slow day at the office.

Sorry, truth at times isn't popular, but with what we're doing nowadays, most of our occupations put our nation at MORE risk than if we weren't there, and it's not like habibe and his friends are going to ride their army of camels, or drive their fleet old truck across the oceans and storm the beaches of Santa Barbara.

When you're going after people who live in caves, have a mindset that's from a few hundred years in the past, and a rifle older than most servicemen, which hasn't probably been cleaned or lubed since before many of the soldiers balls dropped, well that's not fighting for the American people, that's flighting for the all mighty dollar, which you just so happen to be making worth less and less too

What was your award for winning the PPL race?
Being worn out, and getting a PPL. Was no race involved. If I can do it anyone can do it.
Just be prepared to fly a lot, and study a lot.

Paying for the lessons isn't the problem. I work at night, sometimes 12 hours. For about 2 1/2 months I couldn't go at all, which basically made me start over. Not everyone's situation is the same, and taking longer in calendar time doesn't necessarily equate to lack of aptitude. If I had 80 hours I could see your point, maybe. And even then not so much. I talked to one instructor who said he won't sign off on PPL before 90 hours!
I was not referring to aptitude (or lack thereof), but that one must work out a schedule that includes more than an hour a week devoted to committing aviation. I had to re-work my schedule so I could devote 2 hours every other day after work, and 8 hours on weekends, to flying.
Then study at home for an hour or so every evening, 7 days a week.
I had simply gotten tired of the "weekend warrior" training thing, and committed myself to getting it done.

Just for the record. There is a shortcut. Attend one of the approved aviation colleges, get your degree + certificates and hire on with a regional. 4 years and 250k in (+ opportunity cost for 4 years of lost income) and you are qualified for an entry level job flying RJs for 30k in year one. That is if the professional pilot market doesn't saturate until then and the regionals again have a good supply of 2500hr CFIs and banner pilots to chose from.

... and a rifle older than most servicemen, which hasn't probably been cleaned or lubed since before many of the soldiers balls dropped, ...

Yeah, but it's an AK. You mistreat it like that, it calls you "big daddy" and just keeps chucking 7.62 in the general vicinity of where it's pointed. LOL.

I'd love a nice long range setup AR10, 7.62 is a beauty of a round.

Sorry, truth at times isn't popular, but with what we're doing nowadays, most of our occupations put our nation at MORE risk than if we weren't there, and it's not like habibe and his friends are going to ride their army of camels, or drive their fleet old truck across the oceans and storm the beaches of Santa Barbara.

When you're going after people who live in caves, have a mindset that's from a few hundred years in the past, and a rifle older than most servicemen, which hasn't probably been cleaned or lubed since before many of the soldiers balls dropped, well that's not fighting for the American people, that's flighting for the all mighty dollar, which you just so happen to be making worth less and less too

How many Afghan cities or towns have you visited to get this vast array of experience that parted the heavens and showed you the truth of which you speak? Been doing a lot of vacationing in Iraq over the last 20 years? How much time do you have in the horn of Africa? Libya?

How many Afghan cities or towns have you visited to get this vast array of experience that parted the heavens and showed you the truth of which you speak? Been doing a lot of vacationing in Iraq over the last 20 years? How much time do you have in the horn of Africa? Libya?

Spent a bit of time in Africa, but no haven't been over to much of a ****ty parts of the Mideast, I also haven't seen many Iraq army vehicles attempting to invade the coast of CA, or their war planes dropping bombs in GA, you don't have to be over there to realize our occupations are not for he benifit of the average American citizen

@msmith3972 - I'm in similar situation now. My recommendation would be to buy an IFR capable 172 and instruct on weekends.

Make your instructing something more interesting for you than normal primary students. One of the things that I offer is cross country trips with a pair of students. One flies out, one flies return. You could offer one-day round trips to Canada or Ohio or Chicago, and offer them really good training in complex airspace - and also get good cross country time and travel out of it.

You'll save on rental costs, build hundreds of hours in the next few years while your children are growing up, the 172 will pay for itself, and then you'll have enough hours to move on to something else and move to a larger plane when it's time.

[James331, post: 2220000, member: 18843"]Spent a bit of time in Africa, but no haven't been over to much of a ****ty parts of the Mideast, I also haven't seen many Iraq army vehicles attempting to invade the coast of CA, or their war planes dropping bombs in GA, you don't have to be over there to realize our occupations are not for he benifit of the average American citizen[/QUOTE]

You do know about the mainly Saudi hi-jackers taking out the 2 World Trade buildings, and flying into the Pentagon, and the one that the passengers fought the terrorists that ended up crashing in PA. Would you consider than an invasion? Would you consider all the attacks before 9-11 occurred attacks against us? There were other attacks before 9-11 James, on our soil, one being an attack on the World Trade buildings also.

James you know terrorism is the only way these cowards fight right? If they had a way to "invade the coast of CA" they would. You're unaware of other attempts to hi-jack planes headed for the USA? I think you're being your typical self trying to get a rise out of people, but c'mon man. Better to kill their ass over there than on our soil. Don't you think?

@msmith3972 - I'm in similar situation now. My recommendation would be to buy an IFR capable 172 and instruct on weekends.

Make your instructing something more interesting for you than normal primary students. One of the things that I offer is cross country trips with a pair of students. One flies out, one flies return. You could offer one-day round trips to Canada or Ohio or Chicago, and offer them really good training in complex airspace - and also get good cross country time and travel out of it.

You'll save on rental costs, build hundreds of hours in the next few years while your children are growing up, the 172 will pay for itself, and then you'll have enough hours to move on to something else and move to a larger plane when it's time.

Are you doing this now? When I was looking into setting up a flight school, what we found out was that it took a LOT of hours to break even. The increased insurance premiums made doing this sort of thing unfeasible for someone doing it on a weekend basis.

[James331, post: 2220000, member: 18843"]Spent a bit of time in Africa, but no haven't been over to much of a ****ty parts of the Mideast, I also haven't seen many Iraq army vehicles attempting to invade the coast of CA, or their war planes dropping bombs in GA, you don't have to be over there to realize our occupations are not for he benifit of the average American citizen

You do know about the mainly Saudi hi-jackers taking out the 2 World Trade buildings, and flying into the Pentagon, and the one that the passengers fought the terrorists that ended up crashing in PA. Would you consider than an invasion? Would you consider all the attacks before 9-11 occurred attacks against us? There were other attacks before 9-11 James, on our soil, one being an attack on the World Trade buildings also.

James you know terrorism is the only way these cowards fight right? If they had a way to "invade the coast of CA" they would. You're unaware of other attempts to hi-jack planes headed for the USA? I think you're being your typical self trying to get a rise out of people, but c'mon man. Better to kill their ass over there than on our soil. Don't you think?[/QUOTE]

But what did that have to do with Iraq? Oh yeah, nothing.

Back