Shortcuts to an aviation career?

Can we confine this discussion to something close to the OP's question? We are getting into Spin Zone type arguments now in this thread.

You do know about the mainly Saudi hi-jackers taking out the 2 World Trade buildings, and flying into the Pentagon, and the one that the passengers fought the terrorists that ended up crashing in PA. Would you consider than an invasion? Would you consider all the attacks before 9-11 occurred attacks against us? There were other attacks before 9-11 James, on our soil, one being an attack on the World Trade buildings also.

James you know terrorism is the only way these cowards fight right? If they had a way to "invade the coast of CA" they would. You're unaware of other attempts to hi-jack planes headed for the USA? I think you're being your typical self trying to get a rise out of people, but c'mon man. Better to kill their ass over there than on our soil. Don't you think?

But what did that have to do with Iraq? Oh yeah, nothing.[/QUOTE]

I'll give you that one. I believe that too. Afghanistan another matter and we should have got it done when we initially went after Bin Laden. A good read on the initial response is "Horse Soldiers".

B5AE48F8-E8AF-48A3-B75B-398733066C75Img100.jpg

But what did that have to do with Iraq? Oh yeah, nothing.

I'll give you that one. I believe that too. Afghanistan another matter and we should have got it done when we initially went after Bin Laden. A good read on the initial response is "Horse Soldiers".

B5AE48F8-E8AF-48A3-B75B-398733066C75Img100.jpg
[/QUOTE]

This is how 9/11 should have been handled.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Wrath_of_God

Along with the firing, stripping of all benefits and government "status" of every person who had information on these individuals and did nothing, as well as the other people who did not respond when the airliners were figured to be compromised.

I also haven't seen many Iraq army vehicles attempting to invade the coast of CA, or their war planes dropping bombs in GA, you don't have to be over there to realize our occupations are not for he benifit of the average American citizen

You do know that the whole point is to make sure they don't do all that, right??

Are you doing this now?

@Greg Bockelman - in fairness, my day gig isn't all day every day, so I teach more than weekends. I'm a new CFI, but in the 10 months since I got my ticket, I've taught 75 hours ($140/hr wet dual @ 8gph) and have turned down more hours than I've taught. My commercial insurance is $3,500, hangar is $200/month, and I bought the plane outright, so there's no payment.

ADS-B will be a setback, but I didn't buy it to make money as much as to fly and travel and have it pay for itself.

If @msmith3972 's desire is to fly bigger planes and keep his day job, I don't know a better way to build hours on his schedule than that - I'm all ears if you do!

Related: I just passed my multi commercial add-on and am hunting for 15 more multi hours towards my instructor ticket, if you have any ideas...

@Greg Bockelman - in fairness, my day gig isn't all day every day, so I teach more than weekends. I'm a new CFI, but in the 10 months since I got my ticket, I've taught 75 hours ($140/hr wet dual @ 8gph) and have turned down more hours than I've taught. My commercial insurance is $3,500, hangar is $200/month, and I bought the plane outright, so there's no payment.

ADS-B will be a setback, but I didn't buy it to make money as much as to fly and travel and have it pay for itself.

If @msmith3972 's desire is to fly bigger planes and keep his day job, I don't know a better way to build hours on his schedule than that - I'm all ears if you do!

Related: I just passed my multi commercial add-on and am hunting for 15 more multi hours towards my instructor ticket, if you have any ideas...

Randall is doing what I would LOVE to get into myself. The tough part for me is going to be the plane and justifying the cost. As an alternative I'm trying to find other ways to make a buck on weekends with my commercial license (no CFI). I may have an opportunity to do some aerial surveying, but that's not guaranteed.

I want to go the CFI route, but just can't do it at the moment.

@Caramon13 - the 172 I bought last year is the same one I'd been renting for 4 years beforehand - from a guy who kept it hangared and maintained but never flew it. He rented it to me (insurance policy allowed it) for $50/hr dry, I paid my pro-rata share of the insurance. When I flew aerial photography runs for him, or took the plane to maintenance, he reimbursed me in hours. It was a GREAT setup. I was resistant to buy because it was so cheap to rent, but when the chance came, I grabbed it. There may be situations like that near you if you snoop around.

You're an engineer, right? Ever thought about building planes? Didn't Cub Crafters start out with a guy doing something else who was passionate about aviation?

I'm in a similar situation. Engineer, plenty of residual income, would love to eventually retire from my current career to work in aviation. Seems like running a small airport would be an option as well. There were a few small grass strips near me growing up. With a little capital and the right location, seems like that would be a possibility.

@Caramon13 - the 172 I bought last year is the same one I'd been renting for 4 years beforehand - from a guy who kept it hangared and maintained but never flew it. He rented it to me (insurance policy allowed it) for $50/hr dry, I paid my pro-rata share of the insurance. When I flew aerial photography runs for him, or took the plane to maintenance, he reimbursed me in hours. It was a GREAT setup. I was resistant to buy because it was so cheap to rent, but when the chance came, I grabbed it. There may be situations like that near you if you snoop around.

I'm definitely keeping an eye out. I'm starting my multi/instrument addon to my commercial next week. There are some opportunities for flying with that combination nearby. It's a bit frustrating to work so hard and have absolutely zero opportunities available.

However, I'm used to it. Flying has been a passion of mine for over 20 years now and sometimes you have to make your own opportunities. I'm no stranger to that. I'll keep looking and keep flying! I always enjoy reading about my fellow airman's successes :)

Spent a bit of time in Africa, but no haven't been over to much of a ****ty parts of the Mideast...

How do you know the mindset of people in Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria, Libia, HOA, etc? Have you seen these "caves" they live in or the rifles older than most servicemen? Have you seen how little they clean their weapons (not true in many cases)?

When you're going after people who live in caves, have a mindset that's from a few hundred years in the past, and a rifle older than most servicemen, which hasn't probably been cleaned or lubed since before many of the soldiers balls dropped, well that's not fighting for the American people, that's flighting for the all mighty dollar, which you just so happen to be making worth less and less too

Great attempt at trolling for whatever cause you are toting today. Typically you would get your desired reaction (I'm guessing you're looking for someone to blow their top?) from most people. Implying that military members are purposefully doing damage to their country while they are serving long months away from their families in beyond sub-standard conditions by someone who has neither been there nor done that will usually get the "I'll show you damage" or "meet me at such and such an address you commie" reactions. Not today though, I laugh at this as another example of people who talk a lot about what they know little-to-nothing about. No amount of proof, examples or first person accounts changes minds anymore; people are happy to sit on their self appointed high horse and preach.

Preach on brother... preach on.

Can we confine this discussion to something close to the OP's question? We are getting into Spin Zone type arguments now in this thread.
Absolutely!

OP: I don't know any shortcuts other than 85 hour work weeks! Good luck though!

Back