Shortcuts to an aviation career?

msmith3972

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Mike
Hello Everyone,

After wanting to be a pilot my whole life, I finally began training last summer. I've almost completed my private pilots license, and I am looking to the future. I started all this thinking that being a charter pilot might be a good way to spend retirement, but I really don't want to wait that long to fly professionally. I've scoured the Internet trying to find a way to make a good income in aviation without having thousands of hours. Obviously while I'm building time for my commercial I'll be taking IFR, Complex, Twin, and whatever else I can afford. I'm thinking that the one thing that I have that most new pilots don't is a job paying 6 figures now. With some planning I'm hoping I can find a way in without having to spend years making $15 an hour. That is obviously not an option, I'm 45 and have responsibilities. Anyway, I have thought of a couple of ideas that might allow me to shortcut the normal hours requirements. I'd like to know if I'm on the right track or in the weeds here. Any help would be appreciated.

1) Buy a Cessna 206 and contract myself to cargo carriers.
2) Buy a Piper 300 and contract myself to air charter companies.
3) Pay for initial training on a Caravan or TBM, and try to leverage that to a small carrier.
4) Buy a Cessna 172/182 and flight instruct weekends to build time.(Least favorite option cause I have to keep my day job)

It seems the initial impediment to hiring low time commercial pilots is insurance risk. With that in mind, as an independent I wouldn't require their insurance carriers blessing, I wouldn't think. This seems to be the one route to get experience while making a decent income, IF those options actually exist... and that is where you guys come in. Am I off base? Something I haven't considered? Some law or regulation? Opportunities I may have missed?

Background: Married with 2 elementary school aged children, currently living in Michigan and not able to relocate.
Goals: A career in aviation that doesn't cause me to declare bankruptcy and live in a box. Not looking to Captain for AA necessarily, I just want to fly planes. I've read a ton of people say 'do it for fun!' and yes, that's great advice... but I really don't want to spend 22 more years in a manufacturing plant. Thanks!

What is a Piper 300?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In your situation? No, I don't think you can attain full income replacement in the timeline you're demanding or with the hours you wish to do so. Sorry man. 45 and with family overhead isn't the appropriate time to be having a Jerry Maguire moment and try to go zero-to-hero time building. The only way you can retain financial solvency in this almost too stereotypical to warrant a serious response mid-life crisis, is to pursue professional aviation on a strictly part-time basis.

In order to attain full income replacement from your current level, it requires a full time commitment to turbine time building, and that my friend comes with a steep paycut for ya. Since you can't afford that, you're priced out of that avenue until there's a time you can divest yourself from your current occupation. Sorry to be a wet blanket.

The good news is that part-time pro flying might just be enough to soothe whatever vocational frustration you may have with your pedestrian life. You are not in a position right now to know whether the lifestyle of the professional pilot (nomadism and time gone during holidays and weekends is common) is even something you'll enjoy after having had the benefit of a family life at home with small children in the prime of their school years. So beware what you're wishing for. Good luck to ya.

The first two ideas sound good, but reality is it will be hard to find anybody to take you up on that. Lots of red tape there, I don't think 135 charter will allow that with such low time, even in your own plane. Rules still have to be followed to fly goods for hire. Option 3, you'll still need more than 250 hours and a checkout, heard of things like this happening but it's not the norm with insurance requirements. I know a few that went and flew skydivers or aerial tours in the caravan but had more hours than commercial minimum usually over 500. Option 4 is probably the most realistic in your case unfortunately. Hopefully others have better info for you.

Thanks to each of you for the replies thus far. Just to be clear, this isn't a typical mid life crises moment. I've been an Engineer for over 20 years, but I've never been in one place for more than 5. Most of my career has been on the road, so the nomadic lifestyle isn't new to me. I'm just trying to think of some other ideas that may lead to what I'd like to do. At the very least, it's an interesting thought experiment.

Our EAA chapter president just got his ATP and his ATR-72 type rating this month. He retired from the same company that I work for last year and has been flying like crazy to finish his hours up. He already had a quite a few as a private pilot and has owned a C-310 for a number of years. He's now going to be flying right seat for a regional. He interviewed for a starting class somewhat as a lark right after retiring and meeting someone with the airline training program at Oshkosh last year, and was accepted into their program.

I guess I'll be the dream killer. There is no way you can shortcut the crappy pay on the frontside of a pro flying career. You can shortcut the time it takes to get your first job by spending a bunch of money on accelerated training but once you get there the pay sucks. Some of the regionals are paying bonuses now to help recruit pilots but it isn't enough to replace what you have based on the impression I get from your initial post. The freight idea is creative but essentially impossible Imo. If you want to fly you'll take a hit on the pay for a good while.

Get your cfi and teach while keeping the day job. As your network grows you never know what might come along. But keep your job until it does.

I guess I'll be the dream killer. There is no way you can shortcut the crappy pay on the frontside of a pro flying career.
Well, there is one way. Military aviator, but you take a chance. There is rarely a 100% guarantee when you sign on the dotted line tat you will get to fly.

Well, there is one way. Military aviator, but you take a chance. There is rarely a 100% guarantee when you sign on the dotted line tat you will get to fly.
At 45, he's well past the entry age for any military aviation program.

Meh....does the wife have a six figure job with bennies? That's possibly your road to flying.....

There are no shortcuts. Options 1 & 2 would require operating under FAA Part 135 and I believe 1200 hours minimum. Option 3 might make you preferable to an employer who operates that plane, maybe. That leaves option 4 which is feasible and gives you much more flexibility while you keep your present job and build hours. I don't mean to sound negative but unfortunately it takes time and sacrifice to get to where you want to be.

Thanks to each of you for the replies thus far. Just to be clear, this isn't a typical mid life crises moment. I've been an Engineer for over 20 years, but I've never been in one place for more than 5. Most of my career has been on the road, so the nomadic lifestyle isn't new to me. I'm just trying to think of some other ideas that may lead to what I'd like to do. At the very least, it's an interesting thought experiment.

I was in an similar situation. Worked IT, wanted to fly instead. Ended up getting all my ratings via Part 61. First job was flying 4 days a month. It was strictly a short term job (during the winter season) and the guy that hired me didn't want to hire a full time pilot. I took vacation and sick days to do it. After that gig, I flew jumpers on the weekend. I eventually got enough hours so I was attractive to other folks.

Short answer, there's no "short cut" to building your flight time. However, if you chip away at it, the time will come.

If it has taken over six months for you to just get your private I think you need to sit down and re evaluate. Don

I'd definitely do option 4, then just keep networking like crazy. As your time and experience builds, that network will start shaking out some job opportunities. Most will be low pay and QOL, but it's possible you'll luck into a situation that works for you and your family. Or not. But that's the advantage of keeping your current job - if the aviation thing doesn't pan out to your expectations/requirements, you have something still paying the bills comfortably.

@EvilEagle @Tarheelpilot

Open question (and I apologize for the thread drift): What is a realistic cut off for an age waiver? Particularly for reserves or Air National Guard.

@EvilEagle @Tarheelpilot

Open question (and I apologize for the thread drift): What is a realistic cut off for an age waiver? Particularly for reserves or Air National Guard.

Up to 30 at the start of UPT doesn't require a waiver; anything above that would require one. Reserves and ANG really is no different than active duty; same training/same regulations. I've never heard of anyone getting a waiver beyond 32. Doesn't mean that it hasn't happened, but I haven't heard of it. Fighter units have a much harder time justifying age waivers; for instance the last one we did the guy was 31, had over 2k' hours of GA and charter time. He's not doing very well in the Eagle. Older guys have a different mindset than the young guys that typically go through training in the 23-25 year old range. Most of the guys that get waivers fall into two categories: "political hires" and "this dude is so awesome we have to take a chance on him". You want to be the latter! For ANG units, you have to show up and "rush" the unit to get hired anywhere that is competitive. Lots of info on Baseops.net (http://www.flyingsquadron.com/forums/)

Remember starting UPT is still 2 years from getting to a unit as the "new guy".

Out of your list I would go with part time instructing. It's the only one that seems feasible

+1

I also wouldn't see it as a downside that you have to keep your current job, if you're instructing. Instead, I'd rather consider it a good thing that you can keep it, while you are evaluating a new career. Most students want to train in the evenings / on weekends - exactly when you are also available. Other than the money you need to spend on the training, this would be a pretty low risk approach.

At the beginning, working with a flight school is probably the best option. After you have gained some experience, you can however also accept your own students and the +/- $50/h will go into your own pocket. More, if you offer some advanced training. Not too shabby. If you have your own plane, you might also make a few additional bucks with renting it to your student.

Plus, instructing makes a really nice retirement job. My wife and I did last year a Van's RV-6 transition training and a tailwheel endorsement with a retired guy in Florida. He would have new students every week or two, charging them $160 / h for the plane + him. Again, not shabby at all, considering he is using an experimental, he built over 20 years ago, which doesn't cost much to operate.

The other thing is, since you are still a new pilot, that flying for a living might or might not be how you imagine it. Before you throw tons of money into your dream, you might want to go on some really long cross country flights. For me, watching farms passing by gets old pretty quickly. I always wanted to be an airline pilot, but now think that it is boring. The working hours are also not for everybody, be prepared to get up very early. Being a freight dog is probably even worse, as the working hours and the planes will be even worse.

I certainly don't want to kill you dream, just encourage you to first get a taste of the industry and make contact with professional pilots, before you make such a live changing decision.

I, for myself, decided to keep my well paying office job and to use that to support my flying hobby. Part-time instructing is however something I will quite likely do in the future - for fun and as a retirement job.

Last edited:
I, for myself, decided to keep my well paying office job and to use that to support my flying hobby. Part-time instructing is however something I will quite likely do in the future - for fun and as a retirement job.
this is a wonderful option.....that I too chose.

I'll chime in as well. There are no shortcuts to the better pay unless your dad or dad in law owns the company.

Flight hours rule. The more hours the better chance at getting hired.

Option 1 and 2: Get the contract first then get the plane that fits the contract. I have seen too many people buy the plane first, then either have too much plane or two little plane to fit the job.

Option 3: Paying for training usually only leads to small salary jobs lacking any QOL.

If you are unwilling or unable to relocate, and relocate often, then instructing may be your best option.

Good luck to ya buddy. It can be a hard dream to chase, but it can happen.

PM Jonesy. He'll give you some good advice. FWIW there are a couple of regionals that pay $60K first year and all you need is ATP mins.

Options 1 and 2 aren't legal without getting a part 135 operators certificate, which is gonna negate any kind of income you stand to gain over traditional flying for hire. Option 3 will cost you a bunch and only MAYBE make you more attractive to companies that actually fly those aircraft.

Option 4 is really the only reasonable one. There's a reason most professional pilots start with flight instruction. It has the lowest cost of entry, is legal, and is easy to get hired once you have the license.

If there were an easier way, people would do it.

Options 1-2 are going to cost a lot of money up front. You are proposing to do charter and/or cargo in small piston airplanes in Michigan. Do you know if there is even a market for that? As far as option 3 goes, are Caravans or TBMs used by operators in your area? I would talk to them first before spending money on your own training. Also, these jobs will not even approach 6 figures. I agree with most of the others and think that option 4 is the most logical choice. Is there a way for you to cut back on your present work schedule without giving up too much in the way of money, in order to have more time for flying?

You'll need a minimum of 1500 hours to even apply for a regional. At 45, with family that depends on you and not even private yet, I'd say enjoy the weekend flights in the 172 or Cherokee, and forget about the airline career. You're a few days late and a few dollars short (since you mentioned getting whatever ratings you can afford). The guys who have done in in their 40's and 50's are guys who are financially secure and not need to worry about being able to afford to get their ratings.

And there's that other thing... can you even be a good pilot? Not everybody can make it. If you're taking a long time to knock out the private, it only gets harder.

Short answer - no.
Long answer - the only viable "shortcut" to a part 121 cockpit is via the military. Specifically reserve military aviation and that's already been ruled out for you.

Before you even think about Options 1 - 3, you need to become very familair with Part 135.

Join CAP. You can be a 45 yr old LT. Just like being in the military but without a commitment. :D

I was in the same position as the OP, got my private done, then bought a Cherokee 180 got my instrument done, sold the Cherokee and finished up my commercial all within a year. I was on track to do my CFI and II so I could instruct part-time but all the debt I piled up from the plane and the training didn't make it possible.

I looked into being an AG pilot, sightseeing flights, etc. A buddy of mine is working on his CFI right now since instructors around here come and go like the wind. One flight school almost turned over all their pilots to regionals, I went back and hardly recognize anyone from a year ago.

For now, I'm going to be a semi-monthly rental guy, fly EAA YE when I can and just pay off the debt then maybe in a few years I'll get current again, get my CFI, maybe a 150 or something and just rent/train weekends and evenings. We'll see.

It is funny though, every CFI I flew with for my commercial and the DPE reminded me about regionals and that I should remember to do X and Y to get there at which point I had to remind them that I wasn't interested. Commercial was about honing my skills and preparing myself for my CFI at some point really..At 38 military is long gone as an option and I'm not interested in earning less than 1/4 of my current salary to live/work in squalor for a decade.

Before you even think about Options 1 - 3, you need to become very familair with Part 135.
If you put an airplane on someone else's 135 certificate, or are thinking about working doing charter, you need to be familiar, but that's different than actually trying to get your own 135 certificate which is another ballgame.

Without typing a novel, no.

There are no shortcuts in aviation, plus starting your own 135 without working for a 135 is a fools errand.

There's no zero to hero, gotta put in the time.

Without typing a novel, no.

There are no shortcuts in aviation, plus starting your own 135 without working for a 135 is a fools errand.

There's no zero to hero, gotta put in the time.

But GG got hired as a FO in a Gulfstream with only 250 TT...:)

iu

iu

This should stir up the hornets' nest. :D

If you put an airplane on someone else's 135 certificate, or are thinking about working doing charter, you need to be familiar, but that's different than actually trying to get your own 135 certificate which is another ballgame.

Correct but good luck with a 135 operator taking both you and your airplane if you don't have the hours and qualifications. They may want your plane but they may not want you.

Back