Gaston's V in 2008...attendance list

oh quit your kidding nick, you know you'll make it somehow

Newbie here, but would like to join the fun (thanks for the tip, Brent!). Please include my wife, two dogs (she won't travel without them) and myself.

Look forward to meeting everyone.

THANKS, Will
N9282M

Another Mooney at Gaston's. Excellent! We're glad to have you, Will.

we should probably get a picture of the 4+ mooneys that will be there so you can send it to all the people who say no mooneys on grass.

we should probably get a picture of the 4+ mooneys that will be there so you can send it to all the people who say no mooneys on grass.

Ain't that the truth. Got my complex in a Mooney, and all the airport bums said no grass ever ever ever. Then last year Ed let me land his Mooney in the grass....what a sweetheart.

Kaye (who's trying to talk the Trinnie owner into grass)

Thanks, Lance. Look forward to meeting everyone, and displaying another Mooney's grass landing technique!

Who said we can't make the short fields anyway?

THANKS, WT

Newbie here, but would like to join the fun (thanks for the tip, Brent!). Please include my wife, two dogs (she won't travel without them) and myself.

Awesome, Wil! You have reservations, or are you just flying in for the day?

Let me know if anyone is looking to get into a cabin. The Bride would like to do Sun-n-Fun, ok MGM and Universal in April, vs hot and muggy June in Arkansas. I am working up reservations for Lakeland today. We have Cabin 11 reserved, PM me for more info.

Yep. The regular Mooney attendees seem utterly unfazed by the grass, and their airplanes seem unconcerned. The grass is good. The field is good. The fellowship... good.

Come on in, the fly-in's fine!

Another Mooney at Gaston's. Excellent! We're glad to have you, Will.

We converted Will. After flying in the J with us, he just had to go out and buy a Mooney for himself!

Let the assimilation continue...

Hey Troy:

I got reservations for the weekend, and look forward to meeting everyone.

THANKS, WT

P.S. Bill J is correct: Flying in their J model was a lot of fun. Even though I "settled" for a C model, I am quite content.

OK Leah will not be making it :( But she will be having a lot of fun as a camp counselor/trip leader at a YMCA camp in the middle of the woods, Wisconsin. What days are midwest people planning on going/coming? I'd like to go down thursday, come back sunday. Im not sure what my money situation will be so not sure if I'll need a ride or not. Anyone have a free couch for the weekend?

OK Leah will not be making it :( But she will be having a lot of fun as a camp counselor/trip leader at a YMCA camp in the middle of the woods, Wisconsin. What days are midwest people planning on going/coming? I'd like to go down thursday, come back sunday. Im not sure what my money situation will be so not sure if I'll need a ride or not. Anyone have a free couch for the weekend?

Tony, if you can make it to Dubuque, (or maybe I can make it over to where ever you are) I may have a seat in the 195 assuming we don't max out weight. I might have a couch also. Not sure.

Caveat is that as of now, I am planning on going down Friday. I won't know about Thursday until middle of May.

that could work Greg, will keep it in mind. Ill be at 200 lbs or so with a 20 lb bag. thanks!

Tony,
My plans are still formulating...is that such a word. But I plan to be diddy-bopping on my way to or from or both to Gaston's. One way or another I'm sure we can get you to and from, and I have a couch Thursday thru Sunday!
Kaye

Okay, I booked the 210 today for Friday - Sunday, and will extend it to Thursday as soon as Leslie reconfirms her availability that day!

Tony, I can get you too. It's just not a 195. CID is just NOT THAT FAR.

And you already know what I fly......

Tony,
My plans are still formulating...is that such a word. But I plan to be diddy-bopping on my way to or from or both to Gaston's. One way or another I'm sure we can get you to and from, and I have a couch Thursday thru Sunday!
Kaye

Kaye - that would be cool if you are willing. Will have to keep in contact as we get closer.

Tony, I can get you too. It's just not a 195. CID is just NOT THAT FAR.

And you already know what I fly......

Bruce - same as above. Im not in Cedar Rapids anymore, back to school in Ames, but could meet you somewhere in between. Maybe I could right seat on the way down and give you some dual this time :D

At least its nice to have options...will just have to see how things pan out as we get closer.

Tony, don't you know that we will make sure you get to to Gaston's one way or another? :yes:

Tony, don't you know that we will make sure you get to to Gaston's one way or another? :yes:

well i was always planning on making it one way or another. its just the specifics of the transportation that I was unsure of. I've basically done it that way for the last 2 years and its worked out fine both times!

Isn't Ames between California and Gaston's? More importantly, is there cheap fuel? :D

-Felix

Isn't Ames between California and Gaston's? More importantly, is there cheap fuel? :D

-Felix

Hmmm.

Well, it is closer to being between California and Arkansas than, say, Patchogue or Quogue, New York. :D

-Felix

as far as time added, if you were to fly generally direct ames then direct gastons, it would really only add the ames-gastons leg as far as time, probably 2-2.5 hrs in your bonanza. 100LL at Ames is currently 4.42.

I may have a seat in the 195 assuming we don't max out weight. I might have a couch also. Not sure.

Greg,

I bet you won't be able to bring that couch along and still be under gross. Tony, you might just have to sit in the seat. Don't worry-it's pretty comfortable.

But wait - if a 1-lb man stands on a 600 ft lever....

Matthew

Hmmm.

Well, it is closer to being between California and Arkansas than, say, Patchogue or Quogue, New York. :D
Hey, it's not _that_ far out of the way :redface:

as far as time added, if you were to fly generally direct ames then direct gastons, it would really only add the ames-gastons leg as far as time, probably 2-2.5 hrs in your bonanza. 100LL at Ames is currently 4.42.
True, I just looked at that, looking at 7:30 hours from here direct Gaston's vs. 8:30 via Ames. So, if you still need a ride when the time comes, I'll pick you up.

It is written...

"Where there may be cheap 100LL, aviators shall gather as one."
Very true. Although I met a Mooney owner the other day - he asked me how far and how many gph I plan for. He said he'd sell his Mooney when I told him 170 knots/11.7 gph :D

-Felix

sba55;263513 He said he'd sell his Mooney when I told him 170 knots/11.7 gph :D -Felix[/quote said:
Why would he do that:D? I don't know what at altitude your Bo figures are given, but let's assume 9000'. My M20J conservatively cruises at 145 kts TAS 10dF LOP using 8.5gph. So...you're 17% faster, but using 37% more fuel. I'm not selling mine just yet.
Mooney honor upheld!:D

Why would he do that:D? I don't know what at altitude your Bo figures are given, but let's assume 9000'. My M20J conservatively cruises at 145 kts TAS 10dF LOP using 8.5gph. So...you're 17% faster, but using 37% more fuel. I'm not selling mine just yet.

Yeah, and somehow, I could never catch you in one, neither! :D

Slippery little sucker.

Hey, Mooneys are awesome. I'm not going to argue with a guy who compliments my plane, though :D

He also hadn't heard of LOP before and said he was burning ~11 gph...

-Felix

He also hadn't heard of LOP before

-Felix
Ask him if it's been cold living in a cave for so long:D.

And I'm going to admire your plane too. I will try to avoid drool on the upholstery as I contemplate the new Aspen avionics.

Ask him if it's been cold living in a cave for so long:D.

And I'm going to admire your plane too. I will try to avoid drool on the upholstery as I contemplate the new Aspen avionics.
He also had a carb'd engine, and I didn't know how well the carb heat trick would work for him, so I didn't mention that he was wasting 8/hour ;)

As for the Bo - other than the new PFD, there isn't much to admire. The upholstery is pretty terrible. I blame it on the fuel prices! :yes:

-Felix

As for the Bo - other than the new PFD, there isn't much to admire.

Felix,

You got the Aspen PFD??? Does that mean they're done with the certification? How long did the install take (labor hours-wise)?

Coooooooooooollll!!!

Felix,

You got the Aspen PFD??? Does that mean they're done with the certification? How long did the install take (labor hours-wise)?

Coooooooooooollll!!!
No, not yet. We're scheduled for the first week of April, though <fingers crossed>

-Felix

When we get it where every cabin has pilots inside- THAT is a success!

Oh man.

I hate to say it, but I think Gaston's is now officially overcrowded.
Well, maybe not. I just found out that our 9th annual Cavalcade of Planes will be that same weekend at 1C5, so at least one of the club members who was planning to come down to Gaston's won't be able to make it.

For those in the midwest who can't make it down to Gaston's, stop by Clow (SW Chicago suburbs) Saturday or Sunday and join in the festivities!

Oh man.

I hate to say it, but I think Gaston's is now officially overcrowded.

Man, Kent I was just thinking the same thing to myself. I have been trying to scrape some coin together and work out a plan to see if I can make it again this year by either going SWA to STL and bumming a ride from a midwesterner going south or twisting Andrew's arm to go in his 182. But it seems like this is going to be a mini Osh and there may be no room at the inn ( so to speak) :(

And Spike there won't be a pilot in every cabin because that Drug Rehab group " Casting for Recovery" is always there when the pilots are there.

But it seems like this is going to be a mini Osh and there may be no room at the inn ( so to speak) :(
Now Adam, you KNOW that we will find a place for you to stay if you make it. :yes:

And Spike there won't be a pilot in every cabin because that Drug Rehab group " Casting for Recovery" is always there when the pilots are there.
Actually, they are a cancer survivor group...I think maybe breast cancer.

Back