COVID Vaccine Booster

Paul V

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Paul V
Does anyone know if the 48hr no fly / no safety related duty rule still applies to COVID booster shots like it did for the original doses?

I ran a quick search online and came up empty handed.

They probably haven't specifically ruled on it, this stuff has been happening a lot faster than the FAA usually reacts. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think it's the exact same shot so I would expect the same rule would apply by default.

They probably haven't specifically ruled on it, this stuff has been happening a lot faster than the FAA usually reacts. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think it's the exact same shot so I would expect the same rule would apply by default.

Pfizer is the same drug and dose. Moderna booster for those who are not in the immunosuppressed category is 1/2 dose.

The FAA being the FAA, until advised otherwise, I would apply the same rule as for the intial series.

I’d apply the same 48 hour no fly rule. My company said no flying for 48 hours after the booster so I assume that they’re just counting as another shot with the same rules.

The booster didn't bother me a bit for about 6 hours. From hours 6-24 or so it kicked my butt. I wouldn't want to be anywhere near an airport during that timeframe.

I was fine after 1/2 dose Moderna booster, but wifey was down for the day, same as the 2nd dose. Even if you think you feel fine, I wouldn't fly for at least 24.

I agree on waiting. I was spent after the second pfizer dose and took about 24 hrs to feel normal again. Not sure what to expect for the booster but was curious if there was any updated guidance from the FAA.

My wife and younger daughter both got their boosters last month. Both had low grade fever and minor flulike symptoms the next day, were fine the second day.

It would be wise to treat it the same. It is the exact same dosage. The post-dosage symptoms of the booster were very similar to that of the original two doses for me, maybe just slightly milder.

After what I went through after the second COVID shot, I'd not plan on flying for at least 48 hours. Shot beats COVID all to hell though.

About a week after I recovered from a "minor" case of COVID, I decided I felt well enough to take a few laps around the pattern. Got airborne and realized I was way behind the plane. Brain fog was really noticeable. Parked it after one landing and walked away.

First and second Moderna no reaction. Third dose nothing for 12 hours post dose then hard chills, terrible muscle aches along with high fever could not have stopped shaking enough to even climb into the airplane. 24 hours post 3rd dose all symptoms gone.

Pfizer is the same drug and dose.
Got my Pfizer booster Saturday (34 hours ago) and was asked if I wanted the "higher dose" the CDC recommends for those over 65. So I opted for it and have had no side effects whatsoever today, unlike with the initial dose when I felt like I was coming down with something for a whole day. Just another data point...

EDIT: Uh, I think the pharmacist was referring to the the higher dose (maybe she said "enhanced"?) flu shot I got at the same time while I had my mind on the Covid vaccine.

Last edited:
Might be worth a chat with your AME?

I’m curious when I am up for a booster. Got the Moderna back in Feb/March. As a low risk group person I might need to wait a bit for the original vaccinations to percolate.

61.53 and with the reports here, I would count on being down 48 hrs.

do you have a company to give guidance? If not, you are the company.

Got my Pfizer booster Saturday (34 hours ago) and was asked if I wanted the "higher dose" the CDC recommends for those over 65. So I opted for it and have had no side effects whatsoever today, unlike with the initial dose when I felt like I was coming down with something for a whole day. Just another data point...

EDIT: Uh, I think the pharmacist was referring to the the higher dose (maybe she said "enhanced"?) flu shot I got at the same time while I had my mind on the Covid vaccine.

As you noted he was probably referring to the higher dose flu vaccine for those over 65. With all the control measures for covid we didn't have a 2020 flu season. We may have a 2021 season.

There IS a higher dose (100mcg) moderna booster for those on immunosuppression for cancer, transplant etc.

My third Pfizer was kind of a non-event. Not even an overly sore arm. No shortage of vaccination slots here. Pretty much anybody who wants one can walk in and get them.

M wife and I and a friend all got the booster at the same time. All three of us were sore and lethargic for about 2 or 3 days. If I had planned a flight, I would have cancelled.
Even though the booster is half strength, it hit all of us harder than the first two.

When I was getting the Covid booster (Moderna), they told me that the booster was half the dosage as the first two shots.

I had no side effects. The wife felt a little down the next day.

The Pfizer booster is the same as either of the primary shots. (.3 ml each).
The Moderna booster is indeed half of the primary dose (.25 as opposed .5).
I think the J&J booster is the same as the primary.

Even though the booster is half strength, it hit all of us harder than the first two.

Those systemic effects to a vaccine are to some extent dependent on the size of the immune response your body mounts. After the first two doses, lots of memory cells in your immune system 'know' how the sars-cov2 spike protein looks like. As a result, you may experience the symptoms of that more extensive immune reaction.

Its Monday morning and I am working in a small hospital that is located in a highly vaccine skeptic part of the country (30odd% fully vaccinated). From what I see here, I can assure you that feeling crappy for a few days is a small price compared with the risk of an admission of any length for the real thing (just as a general comment, not 'accusing' you or anyone else here of whining, more of an attempt to assure anyone that the vaccine and the third shot in the series is the right decision).

Last edited:
When I was getting the Covid booster (Moderna), they told me that the booster was half the dosage as the first two shots.

I had no side effects. The wife felt a little down the next day.
It’s 1/2 the quantity, but my understanding is the Moderna booster still has more a
micrograms of “vaccine” than a full dose of Pfizer.
I have read a full dose of Pfizer is 30 micrograms, whereas Moderna full dose is 100.

It’s 1/2 the quantity, but my understanding is the Moderna booster still has more a
micrograms of “vaccine” than a full dose of Pfizer.
I have read a full dose of Pfizer is 30 micrograms, whereas Moderna full dose is 100.

Yes.

However, the amount in mcg is for the amount of substance at a particular step in the process, there is a concept or 'bioequivalent doses' that take modes of delivery and the delivery vehicle into account. Both BioNTech and Moderna arrived at their respective doses (30 and 100mcg) after a dose escalation study. Based on the initial neutralizing antibody response, there is not a 1:1 relationship on a 'per mcg' basis between the two products.

I'd plan to follow the 48-hr rule. Reaction to my Pfizer booster last week was a bit stronger than for the 2nd dose. My symptoms were headache, fatigue, and sore arm. Started within 6hr of booster, tailed off after about 36h.

Just another data point: The Pharmacist who gave me Pfizer shot 1 asked about my reaction. I told him basically none. I had a sore arm for a day. He said OK no need to wait around for a bad reaction from Pfizer shot #2 at the Pharmacy. Bye.

-Skip

Last edited:
...Its Monday morning and I am working in a small hospital that is located in a highly vaccine skeptic part of the country (30odd% fully vaccinated). From what I see here, I can assure you that feeling crappy for a few days is a small price compared with the risk of an admission of any length for the real thing (just as a general comment, not 'accusing' you or anyone else here of whining, more of an attempt to assure anyone that the vaccine and the third shot in the series is the right decision).
The second Moderna shot hit me pretty hard, and the effects lasted three or four days. I kept reminding myself that it would be worth it in the long run.

No real reaction to the first two shots (Moderna), bit of a sore arm. The third resulted in a noticeable sore arm, general body ache and the feeling my voltage was turned down by half. Good day to be a slug and catch up on some trash TV I wanted to see. All gone by the next day.

I'm reminded off how happy people are after doing a complete kitchen renovation. I can't help wondering if they are happy with the improvements or simply happy to have a functioning kitchen again...

I'm reminded off how happy people are after doing a complete kitchen renovation. I can't help wondering if they are happy with the improvements or simply happy to have a functioning kitchen again...
Probably both.

I’m reminded of the patients in their 30s and 40s who got severely sick with CoVid (and resulting complications) and then said they wish they’d gotten vaccinated before they ultimately died. It sucks to leave young kids behind, I’m sure. Not getting the vaccine is analogous to Alec Baldwin’s gun safety: it’s definitely not a guarantee, but both can help prevent bad outcomes. ;) Get vaccinated. Or don’t. If you choose not to, please don’t get CoVid. Be careful out there!

Im curious, any of you that had some negative reactions, did you also have reactions to other vaccinations? Flu vaccinations? My second Mod. shout only resulted in a sore about 2" around, then only if I pressed on the spot. Ive been getting flu shouts for about 5 years after a bad case, nothing since. Not even the slightest reactions. Makes me think Im getting the placebo shot sometimes.

Anyone mixing the booster? A different brand from the first doses because, some say....

Im curious, any of you that had some negative reactions, did you also have reactions to other vaccinations? Flu vaccinations? My second Mod. shout only resulted in a sore about 2" around, then only if I pressed on the spot. Ive been getting flu shouts for about 5 years after a bad case, nothing since. Not even the slightest reactions. Makes me think Im getting the placebo shot sometimes.

Anyone mixing the booster? A different brand from the first doses because, some say....
I don't recall any reactions to flu shots.

I don't recall any reactions to flu shots.

The manufacturing process for the flu vaccine introduced a small amount of egg proteins. Some individuals react to the egg rather than the virus itself.

The manufacturing process for the flu vaccine introduced a small amount of egg proteins. Some individuals react to the egg rather than the virus itself.

Most, though not all, use eggs in the production.

There is a lot of work being done now on mRNA flu vaccines, partly as another way to avoid egg proteins, and mostly because they are so quick to develop and produce. If successful, it would be possible to wait longer each year before making the prediction of which flu strains are headed our way. Right now, the predictions have to be made 6 months early to allow for vaccine production, and that allows a lot of time for the viruses to mutate or simply for ones that weren't part of the initial prediction to become more dominant.

Im curious, any of you that had some negative reactions, did you also have reactions to other vaccinations? Flu vaccinations?
I got hit pretty hard by both Moderna's - haven't gotten the booster yet, but will. No reaction to flu vaccines, but got hit hard by my second shingrix ( Shingles Vaccine )

I was talking about my own experience, but thanks for the info.

Back