COVID Vaccine Booster

I got the Moderna booster last week. Based on the reaction I had to it (minor feeling of fever for a while) I think waiting 48 hours before flying is not a bad idea. I know some folks have no reaction, but until you actually have the booster and see if you have one you might as well wait. Now, the soreness in the arm lasted more than 48 hours, but that isn't what the FAA is talking about (I think).

Most, though not all, use eggs in the production.

There is a lot of work being done now on mRNA flu vaccines, partly as another way to avoid egg proteins, and mostly because they are so quick to develop and produce. If successful, it would be possible to wait longer each year before making the prediction of which flu strains are headed our way. Right now, the predictions have to be made 6 months early to allow for vaccine production, and that allows a lot of time for the viruses to mutate or simply for ones that weren't part of the initial prediction to become more dominobsolescence.

This approach may become obsolescent. There is a "universal" flu vaccine in Phase 3 trials that targets non-variant parts of the influenza virus. That will be a huge step forward if it is efficacious.

Last edited:
The number of ml in the Pfizer vs. Moderna means squat. They're all diluted with a carrier so the volume means nothing in comparison (even with the Pfizer you have to check the vial to see what the dilution is, they're color coded).

Back