pilotshashi

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
pilotshashi
Help.. Help.. Help..!

FAR 61.129
Cessna 150/ 18G on Fuel Tank, endurance approx 3-4 hrs. cutting corner "How can I do a Commercial Long CX-Country total distance of 300NM with 250NM straight? There is no way possible. CAN I DO FUEL STOP in the middle, is it LEGAL or VALID? Departing from KHWO.

Last edited:
Reactions: Llk
“landings at a minimum of three points, one of which is a straight-line distance of at least 250 nautical miles from the original departure point“ does not create a single 250 nm leg.

Even in a tiny tank, abnormally high fuel burning 150.

Affirm it's 18G usable also I just corrected it's b/w 3-4 hrs. Max endurance. So my question is CAN I DO FUEL STOP IN B/W NM range?
No. You are required to run out of fuel and divert to a field on this flight. It’s for the commercial, after all.

OF COURSE YOU CAN DO FUEL STOP!

Affirm it's 18G usable also I just corrected it's b/w 3-4 hrs. Max endurance. So my question is CAN I DO FUEL STOP IN B/W NM range?
See above.

What model 150 has 18 gallons usable?

More importantly why are you asking us and not your CFI?
I’d say that if it were a student solo or even the instrument dual, but this is the commercial solo long cross country. Perhaps not, but typically a commercial applicant has a private certificate and instrument rating. Many just do it. Some already have one in the normal course of flying without even thinking about the commercial. Really shouldn’t need to ask the CFI at this point.

I’d say that if it were a student solo or even the instrument dual, but this is the commercial solo long cross country. Perhaps not, but typically a commercial applicant has a private certificate and instrument rating. Many just do it. Some already have one in the normal course of flying without even thinking about the commercial. Really shouldn’t need to ask the CFI at this point.
Fair point.

“landings at a minimum of three points, one of which is a straight-line distance of at least 250 nautical miles from the original departure point“ does not create a single 250 nm leg.

Even in a tiny tank, abnormally high fuel burning 150.
Perfect I got my answer Thanks
Planing from KHWO-KLAL(Fuel Stop)-KLCQ (Approx +250NM)- then back to KLAL (Again Fuel Stop)-KHWO

KHWO...KLAL...KLCQ...KLAL...KHWO

The commercial xc isn’t about non stop, it’s about getting into airspace and possible weather differences, they want you get out beyond your normal area.
It can even be done in two days,
Enjoy the trip!

Perfect I got my answer Thanks
Planing from KHWO-KLAL(Fuel Stop)-KLCQ (Approx +250NM)- then back to KLAL (Again Fuel Stop)-KHWO

That route meets the rules, but why go to LAL twice? Why not replace the second stop at LAL with a different airport? Looks like there are about a hundred choices which would all be about the same distance. Heck, Winter Haven GIF or Lake Wales X07 are right on your course and would offer some variety at least.

That will work. The only thing I might do a bit differently in that area is choose an airport other than LAL for the return fuel stop instead of backtracking my outbound. I haven't looked at fuel pricing (and you might not care) but still using LCQ as your 250 Nm point, there seem to be a bunch of options without substantially increasing the distance/cost.

That route meets the rules, but why go to LAL twice? Why not replace the second stop at LAL with a different airport? Looks like there are about a hundred choices which would all be about the same distance. Heck, Winter Haven GIF or Lake Wales X07 are right on your course and would offer some variety at least.
The only thing I might do a bit differently in that area is choose an airport other than LAL for the return fuel stop instead of backtracking my outbound.
I think we did it again, Russ.

It doesn't have to be nonstop and you don't have to land where you started.

https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/commercial-question.89340/

Also, how do you figure a 150 has 18 gallons of fuel? It's more like 4+ hours of endurance unless you're running full rich/rental power.

Check with your DPE. A local DPE didn’t even start a checkride with a CPL candidate because his long XC did not include a 250nm nonstop leg. It seems some FSDOs are interpreting it like this.

Check with your DPE. A local DPE didn’t even start a checkride with a CPL candidate because his long XC did not include a 250nm nonstop leg. It seems some FSDOs are interpreting it like this.
…and if your DPE interprets it this way, find another one.

…and if your DPE interprets it this way, find another one.

Yup, but in this case the applicant found out at the checkride so had to pay, postpone and go fly another long XC. Best to find out beforehand. I’d bring it up directly as I have heard of others running into this. We really need a letter of interpretation from the FAA to make it clear. Of course, it is completely clear in my mind…. No non-stop needed.

Switching DPEs can mean a 4 month wait for a checkride.

With that knowledge, why any CFI would send a CSEL candidate to that DPE is beyond me.

Especially if the DPE took money before qualifying the applicant.

When I did my commercial long cross country, not only did I stop for fuel, I even had lunch!

The commercial xc isn’t about non stop, it’s about getting into airspace and possible weather differences, they want you get out beyond your normal area.
It can even be done in two days,
Enjoy the trip!
Make sense!

That will work. The only thing I might do a bit differently in that area is choose an airport other than LAL for the return fuel stop instead of backtracking my outbound. I haven't looked at fuel pricing (and you might not care) but still using LCQ as your 250 Nm point, there seem to be a bunch of options without substantially increasing the distance/cost.
Got it, sir will change my KLAL to something different airport! 5 star for your suggestions

I'll cross-verify with DPE for sure before I depart.

Long range tanks are 17.5 gallons useable PER SIDE.... so 35 gallons useable

1707417809201.png

I'll cross-verify with DPE for sure before I depart.
If the DPE says it has to be a 250-mile leg, then you should go to a different DPE. Ideally one whose pilot certificate says he is English proficient. What’s next, claiming that the 250 hours have to be flown nonstop?

If the DPE says it has to be a 250-mile leg, then you should go to a different DPE. Ideally one whose pilot certificate says he is English proficient. What’s next, claiming that the 250 hours have to be flown nonstop?
Based on his reaction to my earlier post, it appears the OP is not averse to check rides using arbitrary standards.

Help.. Help.. Help..!

FAR 61.129
Cessna 150/ 18G on Fuel Tank, endurance approx 3-4 hrs. cutting corner "How can I do a Commercial Long CX-Country total distance of 300NM with 250NM straight? There is no way possible. CAN I DO FUEL STOP in the middle, is it LEGAL or VALID? Departing from KHWO.
Confused about your fuel tank statement...you have two 9 gallon tanks totaling 18 gallons, or two tanks 18 gallons each?

When I did my commercial long cross country, not only did I stop for fuel, I even had lunch!
Me too! And I did mine in a C150 with an O-320, planning on 8GPH. I did NOT get 4 hour endurance out of that plane. :)

Must have the anti-ferry tank STC :rolleyes2:

I did look online to see what the capacity of various 150s were, because I too thought it seemed less than I remember. I wonder if it's a translation issue, as Wikipedia shows the 150 holds 22 US gallons usable or 18 imperial gallons usable. There was never a 150 with 18 US gallons usable.

Back