Camp Scholler Tips

benhar77

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
benhar77
This will be my family's first time camping at AirVenture (and first time camping in a long time). I've rented a trailer, and we'll be coming in Thursday-Sunday. I understand available spots might be in the boonies of Camp Scholler, by that time, but I'm wondering what other Camp Scholler tips experienced pros might have. e.g. What to bring, where to find good social gatherings, what to do at night, how to enjoy our experience the most, etc.

I've been to AirVenture many times before (live only an hour drive away), so I'm not looking for general show tips.

If all goes well, and the wife isn't too miserable, we'll plan to come earlier and longer next year.

TIA!!

As you are already well familiar, having attended Oshkosh numerous times, there will undoubtedly be at least one major weather event during Oshkosh. Plan for that, meaning, do all of the planning you would do for an absolute soaker of a storm, including high winds. That would include:

• footwear appropriate for soggy grounds (lots of folks use Crocs)
  • somewhere to take off your shoes and dry your feet before getting in your camper, so think mud mat or something and something to dry your feet with
  • be sure that you roll up your awning every time you leave the camper for any appreciable amount of time. The number of awnings that get wrecked every year at Oshkosh has to be a big part of keeping places like Camping World in business!
  • bring boards to roll the camper onto and place beneath your jacks. Seen plenty of campers sink in the much during serious gulley washers.
  • If you are using a generator, bring a sturdy lock and cable or chain. There have been isolated cases of people's personal effects disappearing. Remember that not everyone in Scholler is in aviation (although... plenty of questionable aviation folks out there, too)
  • If you are dumping on Sunday, know that the line in the morning is... impressive. Like HOURS long. This will be the first year I'm bringing a self-contained camper, and I'm not leaving until the afternoon to hopefully avoid the conga poop line. You can also engage the services of a sewer truck that does rounds, but I hear it isn't cheap, and depending on how they hook up to your camper could potentially damage your system due to the high suction on those trucks
  • bug spray
  • more bug spray
  • maybe some more bug spray

Great tips from @Steve Costello

With regard to your question about things to do:

Ford sponsors the Fly-in Theater. It's a 5-story tall inflatable movie screen where they show movies every night. Sometimes they even debut a film there! Popcorn is free, just bring some camp chairs.

If the kiddos are asleep or you can find a sitter friend, there's the beer tent over on Waukau. Live music, fire pits, and beer. What more you ask for?!

You probably already know, but worth mentioning anyway, they typically have a night air show on Wednesday and Saturday. Really something to see. I had low expectations, but it's really neat when you start thinking about how the performers are flying visual maneuvers at night. Impressive airmanship on display.

Of course you could venture off grounds and go on the hunt for good local spots. Plenty of them on Main. A few out in the boonies. Typically lots of live music that week all over town.

But really the best fun is making friends in the campground and exchanging stories. People become like family out there. Reminds me of the time I ended up having beers with a bunch of off-duty cops while we watched Walker Texas Ranger. I now know what it's like to watch an aviation movie with us pilots haha

I'm excited to go!

Coming in on Thursday you shouldn't have much problem finding a spot. There are alot of people that leave mid week after they see the Wednesday night airshow. Drive around the camp some and see what is available as mid week the open sites will be scattered all around.

You don't say what type of trailer. If its a bigger trailer with a built in bathroom/shower there is a service that comes around to pump out the tanks and refill your water for a reasonable price if you don't want to deal with doing it yourself the day your arrive/leave.

As mentioned above make sure you close up the awning any time you leave the site. It doesn't take much wind to destroy one and you are looking at quite a bit of money if it rips and even more if the frame needs to be repaired.

Make sure you close up any windows before you leave for the morning. It is a very long walk back to the campground if an unexpected rain shower comes up.

Bring some bicycles if you have them. You can't use them on the show grounds but they are really nice to have to get around the campground and to/from the entrance to the show each day. There are bike corrals at most entrances to park them at. Bike locks aren't really needed unless you have a very expensive bike.

For things to do at night there are plenty. There is almost always someone interested giving a talk at the Theater in the Woods each night. There is also a giant blow up movie screen in the campground where they show a movie each night and give out free popcorn. You will want to bring some folding camping chairs to sit on. Blankets work but if it is a popular movie you will be below everyone else with chairs.

As far as what to bring, make sure you bring some rope and stakes to mark out your campsite. Each site is allowed a 20x30 area and if you don't mark it out you may come back to your site to find someone setup right next to you. The rest of it is just regular camping stuff. One thing to note is that there isn't a place to do dishes if you decide to cook at the campground. You need to bring buckets to fill with water to wash your dishes but even then there isn't a place to really dump the dirty water other than at your campsite.

If you are a light sleeper make sure you bring some ear plugs. With 10,000 people all camping next to each other in a giant field there is always some sort of noise to be heard.

I would add bring a least 2 pairs of footwear--at the minimum. Don't forget personal items like sunscreen, hats, rain gear, sun glasses, etc. A hoody, sweat shirt, or light jacket can be useful too -- it can be pretty hot during the day but cool off considerably at night. If you're out at night watching a movie or whatever it can get kind of chilly, especially after spending all day in the sun. Camping chairs and some kind of table are nice to haves as well.

Great tips so far, thanks!!

I’ve also read somewhere, or maybe it was a podcast, there’s a guy with a coffin for a beer cooler.

Ah yes...I thought about mentioning the casket party but the deal is, you've got to find it. If you do, bring the strangest beer from your local place you can find to add to the collection, then you're welcome to sample one that someone else brought. The master of ceremonies will give the traditional and ceremonious toast, and then you drink and enjoy the company of like-minded people.

Pro tip: 9/10 times he's set up in Audrie's Woods...

It’s an 18’ trailer.

Does it have a shower? If not or you simply don’t want to use it add Flip-flops or some kind of shower shoe that you can wear into the shower to your list.

There will be more than a few BYOB type parties in Scholler and in the aircraft camping areas. Plus there’s the SOS Bros tent (IIRC they are cash only but they’ll have an ATM) and the bar in Sleepy Hollow.

Sadly, I agree with chain/locking things like generators, Yeti at your site. remember to lock your camper. As was stated, there have been increasing accounts of theft from campsites. Not certain, but my theory is it’s “townies” coming into the campground for easy pickings. Years ago it was just kids stealing beer out of coolers. Now it’s a more serious problem.

When folks see multi-million dollar rigs and double stackers pulling in, they know there's some good stuff floating around in there. Not surprised at all. I think I remember an actual golf cart being stolen in 2019. Yikes.

When folks see multi-million dollar rigs and double stackers pulling in, they know there's some good stuff floating around in there. Not surprised at all. I think I remember an actual golf cart being stolen in 2019. Yikes.

Yes, I seem to recall that incident. I believe the perps ran it into someone’s truck in the wee hours of the morning.

Beer coffin was in Paul’s woods when I was there last, but yeah, it should be findable if you find someone that knows.

Thursday will have spots open to grab around noon. No saying how many are coming and going but definitely worth the grand tour before settling in the boonies. They have added a lot of trees which was my biggest complaint about the out lots.

Bring money, sun screen, camera, good shoes, 3 season gear. I don’t think it will snow but everything else is fair game. At night, take a walk, find a crowd and say hey. Go to the SOS Bros tent one night.

Elastic bands to hold the shower valve open.
A good, light weight backpack.
Loved going to the float base.
Restaurant in a quonset near the vintage section had the nicest breakfast sandwiches.

- I’ve heard there is a Target (grocery store) within walking distance of the campground ? Wondering if i can get resupply of provisions / groceries / beverages easily.

the campsites have no power, so I plan to bring my small Honda inverter generator. (It’s quiet) I hear generators are allowed?

- is there a place / way for me to get fuel for the generator ? Eg gas station nearby ? Self-serv pump at the FBO ?

Walking distance of flyin camping. Hello of a hike for Scholler. Just drive there.

Gas stations no problem for your generator. And yes, generator is fine just mind the quiet hours (after 10 pm I think). And for the oops, forgot stuff, the campgrounds have the Red Barn with the basics squared away.

Best part of camping at OSH is waking up @ 6:00 am to the sounds of ultralights flying 500 above you.

- I’ve heard there is a Target (grocery store) within walking distance of the campground ? Wondering if i can get resupply of provisions / groceries / beverages easily.

the campsites have no power, so I plan to bring my small Honda inverter generator. (It’s quiet) I hear generators are allowed?

- is there a place / way for me to get fuel for the generator ? Eg gas station nearby ? Self-serv pump at the FBO ?
North of the North40, across the street (20th) is a Target and Kroger grocery store in a strip mall. Take a look at this map

https://www.google.com/maps/@44.0000992,-88.5688582,14.57z?hl=en-us

Target and the grocery store are about an hour walk from Scholler or an hour and a half walk/bus ride. The grocery store isn’t branded as Kroger, but it’s part of the chain and my Kroger card worked there.

Bicycles if you can bring them. Ditto about locks.

Don't forget bug spray....you'll need some Deet....mosquitoes multiply nicely this week.

So the Grocery store, called Pick ‘n Save, and Target are approximately 2 miles from the middle of Scholler. Not a bad walk there but I wouldn’t want to hump a bunch back. IMO better to take shuttle from the bus park. There’s a decent pizza joint in the shopping center so in the past we’ve grabbed a meal on the shopping run. Also the camp stores have some basics which can preclude a trip to the store.

There’s a decent pizza joint in the shopping center so in the past we’ve grabbed a meal on the shopping run.
If you're talking about Christianos down the sidewalk from Pick'n Save that location has closed.

Debating on bringing my bicycle. How useful around the campsite? Worried it will be a muddy mess, being all grass/dirt.

E.g. what if I have to go a long ways to get water for my campsite (buckets or large bags) water is very heavy to carry by hand… do I take the bike with me, but I dont' have a way to carry bulk water on the bicycle. Maybe I need to just drive my car down the (dirt) road to the water spigot ?

Edit to add: or, use a fold-up wagon instead, like the other replies say.

Last edited:
Debating on bringing my bicycle. How useful around the campsite? Worried it will be a muddy mess, being all grass/dirt.

E.g. what if I have to go a long ways to get water for my campsite (buckets or large bags) water is very heavy to carry by hand… do I take the bike with me, but I dont' have a way to carry bulk water on the bicycle. Maybe I need to just drive my car down the (dirt) road to the water spigot ?
Have you got a foldup wagon? Or better yet, do you have room for a foldup wagon? Or even one of these foldable carts?

71Seq8+S6rL._AC_UL320_.jpg

I usually bring my bike, and it's been very useful at AirVenture and (to a lesser extent) at Sun 'n Fun. You can't bike inside the show area, but there are long ways outside the main area where the bike comes in handy. It's also been great to go get to nearby stores (e.g. Target) and off-field restaurants. Last year a few of us rode to Fisk on Sunday afternoon to visit the controllers at their outpost. And it's an easy and fast way to get back to your campsite after the SOS beer tent closes (when the shuttles no longer operate).

- Martin

Oooh… I don’t have a folding wagon, but I just realized I _do_ have a really good but old (no longer needed) 4-wheel stroller I can use !!!

* slaps top of stroller * you can carry so many water cans on this thing !!!!

This question is not specifically about Camping but about the show and vendors in general:
I'd expect to be buying meals on-site for the most part... seems like a hassle to try to cook my own food and cleanup all that without a water spigot at the campsite.

1) I hear you can mostly make-do with the onsite food vendors but morning breakfast / morning coffee might be a gap, so maybe I'll just bring my own coffee maker and quick stuff for breakfast?

2) how are all of the food vendors taking payment, do I need to bring alot of cash for alot of stuff? Or are most things now digital with Square readers or Apple Pay etc.??
Asking about inside Airventure gates and out nearby the Campsite, I'm guessing there are lots of food-truck type things?

This question is not specifically about Camping but about the show and vendors in general:
I'd expect to be buying meals on-site for the most part... seems like a hassle to try to cook my own food and cleanup all that without a water spigot at the campsite.

1) I hear you can mostly make-do with the onsite food vendors but morning breakfast / morning coffee might be a gap, so maybe I'll just bring my own coffee maker and quick stuff for breakfast?

2) how are all of the food vendors taking payment, do I need to bring alot of cash for alot of stuff? Or are most things now digital with Square readers or Apple Pay etc.??
Asking about inside Airventure gates and out nearby the Campsite, I'm guessing there are lots of food-truck type things?

The Red Barns have coffee, donuts, pop tarts, etc.

You don’t need cash for food.

Understand that there is very little variety of food on the grounds. I'd plan for an off-field meal every now and then, because pizza, burgers and cheese curds - while part of the Oshkosh experience - do get old after a few days.

- Martin

Last year I had a great breakfast on the flight line. Was a big white tent near show center. Sorry, don’t remember the name if the vendor.

Also, near the Red Barn in Paul’s Woods, various EAA chapters put on pancake breakfasts all week.

Last year I had a great breakfast on the flight line. Was a big white tent near show center. Sorry, don’t remember the name if the vendor.

Also, near the Red Barn in Paul’s Woods, various EAA chapters put on pancake breakfasts all week.

Does the local group still put on a breakfast just off site near the Lindberg gate, outside Scholler?

I love grilling or campfire cooking in Scholler. Some beer and flame grilled foods after a long day walking is divine. I usually hit the butcher on the way up grab some steak, sausages and pork chops enough for a few dinners. Some zucchini on the side, yum! Aeropress or bodum for coffee, some fresh fruit for breakfast, then wing it the rest of the time. And there are plenty of spots to fill some buckets with wash and rinse water. Try to get close enough to the bathrooms it is a shorter walk but not too close you hear the doors banging in the middle of the night.

Back