Camp Scholler Tips

There’s no meal gap. There are a number of on-site venders that offer breakfast. IMO the variety and quality of food has gotten better over the years, but it’s still not restaurant quality, more like good state fair. As mentioned there’s also off site options as well.

thanks for the insight on food vendors, everyone.

more like good state fair. As mentioned there’s also off site options as well.
Is there usually Funnel Cakes there ?!? Please let there be….

I saw a map - in theory, EAA chapters cannot stake out all the close spots this year. They can in Paul's Woods and a small RV section west of Doolittle. Otherwise, they're west of 23rd and in the SW quadrant.

In theory.

How is the cell-phone coverage at camping and in the events themselves?

I'm afraid with 600,000 + attendance in a small area, the network would get swamped and unable to txt or get data service?

Worried about getting TXT message capability to stay in-touch with my family incase we get seperated, etc.

what's been your experience?

It's been getting better. Voice calls and texts are fairly reliable. They bring in special cell equipment for the show. Cellular data (at least on ATT) gets pretty dog awful once the show gets in full swing. I had to drive up to the Starbucks on the highway to get decent throughput.

The most amusing thing was a few years ago, right after I get to Oshkosh a text message from a friend of mine shows up from a YEAR earlier. I guess it was stuck inside the temporary cell since they shut it down the previous year.

Never had any issues with calls or texts. Internet data, on the other hand, whether cellular or WiFi has been problematic, but it has gotten better.

First time RVer at Camp Scholler. I bought a camping pass, when you show up, are you marshaled into a spot similar to parking a car for an event or do you just go drive around until you find something open that you like?

Have they ever reached max capacity and turned people away?

We bought a pass starting Sunday, is that too late to get a decent spot? What time of day is best to show up so as not to sit in a parking lot waiting to get in?

Depends on your definition of decent. On Sunday, you'll be on the west side, near the highway.

After you check in, drive around, pick your own spot.

I saw a map - in theory, EAA chapters cannot stake out all the close spots this year. They can in Paul's Woods and a small RV section west of Doolittle. Otherwise, they're west of 23rd and in the SW quadrant.

In theory.

Not sure where you saw this but we are doing chapter camping and there was no such disclaimer or guidance different than past years.

I usually bring my bike, and it's been very useful at AirVenture and (to a lesser extent) at Sun 'n Fun. You can't bike inside the show area, but there are long ways outside the main area where the bike comes in handy. It's also been great to go get to nearby stores (e.g. Target) and off-field restaurants. Last year a few of us rode to Fisk on Sunday afternoon to visit the controllers at their outpost. And it's an easy and fast way to get back to your campsite after the SOS beer tent closes (when the shuttles no longer operate).

- Martin
+1 on the bike We find it useful to find new friends and to wander around the campsite to see how other people camp. It's great for the fly in theatre to avoid the traffic leaving and for carry ice/food back from the camp stores.

There used to be water trucks and septic trucks that come around, you can ask for them at the red barn.

Last year I had a great breakfast on the flight line. Was a big white tent near show center. Sorry, don’t remember the name if the vendor.

Also, near the Red Barn in Paul’s Woods, various EAA chapters put on pancake breakfasts all week.
Near the camp entrance blue barn pavilion I believe every morning is a chapter breakfast hosted by various chapters who sign up.

Earlier in this thread we were talking about bugs. I haven't seen one mosquito the entire week. Wind keeping them away? Did they spray or something?

Earlier in this thread we were talking about bugs. I haven't seen one mosquito the entire week. Wind keeping them away? Did they spray or something?
My first year so I can’t compare, but here In North 40 I noticed the same. I fully expected bugs/mosquito chasing me around, have not seen a single mosquito. Even after a shower walking back to my campsite (no bug spray), not a problem.

No bug bites, but the grass seems to be very harsh on my skin. I knelt-down to put my tie-down anchors for airplane, and my knees instantly got irritated. Next morning had lots of small cuts on them. So I’ve been avoiding all skin contact with the grass.

Bugs have been good this year mainly because there hasn't been as much rain in the spring and early summer months as in previous years. And the weather during the show was fantastic!

Circling back to the food question and IMO it keeps getting better. This year in addition to the normal fare, Chick-fil-A and Papa Johns returned from last year and I counted at least 5 other new local food trucks bringing additional variety to the grounds.

Circling back to the food question and IMO it keeps getting better. This year in addition to the normal fare, Chick-fil-A and Papa Johns returned from last year and I counted at least 5 other new local food trucks bringing additional variety to the grounds.

There's been a slow and steady improvement from 20 years ago when your options were pretty much limited to brats with a side of cheese curds. And I love brats and cheese curds but not for a week straight.

In Scholler, it was quite easy to do breakfast in camp (microwave sausage egg and cheese muffin), lunch in the show, and dinner back in camp, with different people pitching in to make dinner each day.

Too late for this year, obviously, but for breakfast we did the Catholic Church one at the bus park every day (can’t remember their name - they’ve been there a good while). We split two pancakes, two scrambled eggs, and three sausages each morning - $8, I think. We brought our own OJ because they were forced to charge the in-park rate for drinks. The food was delicious and the service was fast. They do brats, etc too and we’ve had them before but not this year. Outside the gate and prices drop off quite a bit.

For dinner, we discovered Mineshaft. It’s HUGE and apparently they have a shuttle from the North 40. We had a group of about 30, walked up, and they gave us our own 50-person room within 15 minutes. The food was decent, the beer good, and the arcade was cute. Talking with them, I bet they’d run a pickup and drop-off from Camp Scholler if arranged.

THere was the Cheese Curd Taco truck down in the South 40. People tell me it was good, but I didn't try it.

The BBQ place up behind the Homebuilt Cafe was a pretty good change in the typical burger/brat and fries gig.

This is a pic of the Chick-fil-A at Oshkosh. No doubt the biggest crowd of patrons in line for food. 4F084FDD-E241-44A8-898C-2155331FDEC9.jpeg

For dinner, we discovered Mineshaft. It’s HUGE and apparently they have a shuttle from the North 40. We had a group of about 30, walked up, and they gave us our own 50-person room within 15 minutes. The food was decent, the beer good, and the arcade was cute. Talking with them, I bet they’d run a pickup and drop-off from Camp Scholler if arranged.

Haven't been to the one in OSH yet but the original (?) one in Hartford is a favorite spot. Great to take kids of all ages to the arcade before and/or after dinner, food is good, and they have Sprecher root beer on tap with free refills which is very rare. Just saw the Oshkosh one for the first time this year as we were leaving.

They also had a shuttle sitting in the entrance to Sleepy Hollow right across from SOS Bros. The shuttle and the driver looked sketchy as hell and I never saw him pick up anyone but he was selling it hard to the constant steam of pedestrian traffic walking to and from one of the parking lots.

They also had a shuttle sitting in the entrance to Sleepy Hollow right across from SOS Bros. The shuttle and the driver looked sketchy as hell and I never saw him pick up anyone but he was selling it hard to the constant steam of pedestrian traffic walking to and from one of the parking lots.
That might be good feedback for them. We have a group that might book for the Sun before the show and I may pass that on when we do. It sounded like they were struggling to get noticed even though they’re about as far as Target from the hole in the fence.

They have a really big “regular” restaurant area plus the 50-seat we were in, I believe two 20-seaters and two 10-seaters back behind the arcade. They can hold a lot (if they have the wait staff).

SOS is another favorite of ours. We do a ribeye sandwich at least once per trip.

That might be good feedback for them. We have a group that might book for the Sun before the show and I may pass that on when we do. It sounded like they were struggling to get noticed even though they’re about as far as Target from the hole in the fence.

They have a really big “regular” restaurant area plus the 50-seat we were in, I believe two 20-seaters and two 10-seaters back behind the arcade. They can hold a lot (if they have the wait staff).

SOS is another favorite of ours. We do a ribeye sandwich at least once per trip.

"Sketchy" is probably an overly harsh description, and truth be told just because I never saw any takers doesn't mean there weren't any --I mean I only saw this bus a few minutes out of each day after all. But there is room for improvement. The bus itself looked borrowed from some local tire place (at least that was the advertising painted on it) and the actual signage indicating it was a shuttle for the restaurant appeared hand written/DIY. That coupled with a driver a bit rough around the edges for an unknown restaurant didn't scream "lets jump on and go there" especially when there's a ton of well known and easily accessible options.

Last edited:
We ate at Mineshack the Sunday before the show. Half Fried Chicken dinner special with sides for $10.

It was greatness. And we were in and out in 30 minutes when the wait for Friar Tucks was 45 minutes. I don't see what people see in that place...

The best food was the Prime Rib at the Hangar. Like $24 for a 16 oz Prime Rib that was probably the best I've had in 20 years. We went twice during the week.

And you ain't had Oshkosh breakfast until you've had the Brat breakfast burrito

Attachments

• 6EC75C9B-333A-46E3-8F32-CDB5F45F85E0.jpeg
    6EC75C9B-333A-46E3-8F32-CDB5F45F85E0.jpeg
    290.8 KB · Views: 21
Back