Youtube Pilot and her dad perish in TN

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I was a student pilot, I mentioned to my instructor that once I got my license, I wasn't going to bother with maintaining a particular altitude. He responded with "That would be like letting your car wander across the lanes."

I found his argument persuasive.

After that, I discovered the satisfaction in striving for excellence.

Agree in general, but as to the "boss" part, the video that Dmspilot posted makes me think that she didn't understand the pilot-in-command concept.
In a previous post I alluded to her, seemingly not to wanting to, BE in command of an airplane, but to be SEEN as being in command. Those are two entirely different things. She was a poser, literally posing as a pilot.She selectively chose what to be competent at. She was apparently a successful businessperson, but chose not to take driving or flying seriously. She was going to get someone killed running red lights or playing with a broken AP, instead of reading her POH and AP manual, sooner or later. She didn't WANT to understand anything more than she knew about piloting. If she wanted to be solid she would have had a CFI sitting right seat instead of her dad. It wasn't like she couldn't afford more training. She knew exactly what she was doing, we just don't like it. We only see the vidoes she shared, not the ones where she might have been properly corrected. She didn't like being corrected, not even by her father. She just wanted the AP to do its dang job, so she could catch Stevie in likes! But Stevie hand flew a c140 from California to Osh Kosh.

As a flight instructor I can try to save people from themselves.

Based on what I have learned from this accident I will try harder.

I do not share your resignation.
Hillarious. I'm not resigning from anything. Do what you must to make yourself feel good. But do know, it's for you. People have free will. You have no control over what they do with the information you share. You can only hope your efforts aren't in vain. Will some heed your wisdom, sure, but you must resign yourself to the fact, that there are those like Jenny, who won't. Speaking of Hazardous Attitudes Jenny had a couple.

The Federal Aviation Administration's (FAA) literature defines five hazardous attitudes that can undermine a pilot's aeronautical decision making. They are antiauthority, impulsivity, invulnerability, macho, and resignation.

Somehow I get the impression Ms. Blalock was doing the helpless heroine act on purpose. May have come by it naturally, but I do believe there was forethought in it.

I too have thought that some (or maybe all) of her antics have been manufactured drama in the hopes of getting likes and clicks. And that leads me to another hypothesis that y'all can shoot down and flame me over. (this is the internet :))

Suppose most of this HAS been manufactured drama, and we know she's been riding this "autpilot bad" thing for a while. Oh no, what's it doing? Where's it taking me? Whatever. But, this line of videos was coming to an end, she was headed to the avionics shop for a new autopilot. No more milking vids on autopilot bad.

So, maybe she wanted to make that last flight to the avionics shop very dramatic. Maybe those altitude excursions towards the middle of the flight weren't bad autopilot, or even bad piloting. Maybe she was doing that on purpose, and somehow either broke the airplane or found herself in an unusual attitude that she couldn't recover from.

Yeah, I have an active imagination, but at least someone else must have had this thought.

Roast away!

Hillarious. I'm not resigning from anything. Do what you must to make yourself feel good. But do know, it's for you. People have free will. You have no control over what they do with the information you share. You can only hope your efforts aren't in vain. Will some heed your wisdom, sure, but you must resign yourself to the fact, that there are those like Jenny, who won't. Speaking of Hazardous Attitudes Jenny had a couple.

The Federal Aviation Administration's (FAA) literature defines five hazardous attitudes that can undermine a pilot's aeronautical decision making. They are antiauthority, impulsivity, invulnerability, macho, and resignation.
Resignation: the acceptance of something undesirable but inevitable.

In my opinion based on my experience people exercise their free will in ways contrary to their best interest because they are ignorant of the consequences.

I feel as a flight instructor it is my job to teach the aviation culture of risk mitigation.

Success is not certain and that is part of the allure for me.

Suppose most of this HAS been manufactured drama, and we know she's been riding this "autpilot bad" thing for a while. Oh no, what's it doing? Where's it taking me? Whatever. But, this line of videos was coming to an end, she was headed to the avionics shop for a new autopilot. No more milking vids on autopilot bad.
I don't think she had the self-awareness or the forethought to do that.

And if all else failed, there was a (presumably functional) compass sitting right in front of them at eye level.

Reminds me of one of my early flight lessons when I got turned around, and my instructor asked me "Which way is the ocean?"

"West!" (Duh!)
Funny thing about that...in the Coast Guard we're FINALLY catching up to the 21st century and abandoning paper charts. Now don't get me wrong, I love the art of navigation. I'm a certified Navigator and can do celestial navigation. But the usefulness of paper charts is long gone. When we first started making the transition, I had a few guys ask me "well, what if the chartplotter fails?" I tell them "Seaman's Eye or turn west. You'll hit land eventually."

I too have thought that some (or maybe all) of her antics have been manufactured drama in the hopes of getting likes and clicks. And that leads me to another hypothesis that y'all can shoot down and flame me over. (this is the internet :))

So, maybe she wanted to make that last flight to the avionics shop very dramatic. Maybe those altitude excursions towards the middle of the flight weren't bad autopilot, or even bad piloting. Maybe she was doing that on purpose, and somehow either broke the airplane or found herself in an unusual attitude that she couldn't recover from.

Yeah, I have an active imagination, but at least someone else must have had this thought.

Roast away!
This is the most reasonable explanation I've heard on the matter! Tragic ending still, but it cleans up her image a bit.

Resignation: the acceptance of something undesirable but inevitable.

In my opinion based on my experience people exercise their free will in ways contrary to their best interest because they are ignorant of the consequences.

I feel as a flight instructor it is my job to teach the aviation culture of risk mitigation.

Success is not certain and that is part of the allure for me.
You sound like my current CFI. I hope to be as good at it as you and him. I really do. I don't want my students to feel I didn't give them everything I had for them to succeed.

There’s a difference between ignorance and ignorant indifference. I see far more pilots demonstrating the latter than I do the former.

One thing about this whole situation that really bothers me...and tells me more about her character than anything is the complete lack of TRYING to learn. A couple months ago, I took a joy-riding trip in the club Skyhawk. It has a Garmin 430 on it which I only had basic knowledge of from Flight Sim and the few minutes of demonstration I got from the club CFI. I had entered a route that I intended to loosely follow...more just for situational awareness and practice than anything else. When I got airborne, I had some trouble getting it to start tracking so autopilot was out. No big deal, I can hand fly a plane...and did so for about 3 hours. No worries. When I got back home, I downloaded the manual, read it cover to cover, downloaded the practice software and played around with it a little. Next time, I knew exactly what I was doing with the box. I invested probably 2 hours total into understanding the 430 better.

Similarly, I get aggravated when people get a certification (Coast Guard, not FAA) and never invest another moment into expanding their knowledge. The whole "certification is a license to learn" seems to be a rare understanding. In my experience, I can tell my new Coxswains (boat drivers) until I'm blue in the face that they need to keep honing their skills and push their comfort zone but they won't heed that until they're presented with a real-life "oh, $**t" moment. Then, next day they're usually in my office saying something akin to "You were right, Senior Chief." Fortunately it's not cost anyone under my command their lives. Hopefully it never does.

Oh good, so it’s not just me being annoyed there… I don’t watch much YT aviation content, but some stuff shows up on my YT feed and occasionally I’ll give it a look. Most videos just bug me with too much “look at me!”… and the flying/camera chatter is just, ehh. I’ve watched a few minutes of Kay’s videos here and there, and while she looks to be a competent pilot, it seems that most of her videos are too long at 45-ish minutes with too much chatter and droning along in a Cherokee 180… boring.

One of the guys I do like to watch is Hermann, the German dude videoing his travels in his RV-8. No silly chatter or ”look at me”, but just well produced videos with a bunch of cool flying and beautiful scenery.
There's a British ferry pilot I like to watch occasionally. Guido Warnecke is his channel name. His videos are almost mundane enough to put you to sleep...the kind of thing only real pilots might appreciate. I find great pleasure in watching him handle various different aircraft especially since I'm going for my Instrument certification now. Most all his videos are in IFR.

Start making at least one 15 minute video every week. Stick to a schedule, release Friday afternoons when people are doing nothing at work or Saturday mornings eventually youtube will tell you when your best time to launch is.

Try to make content that is trending or news YouTube is the second biggest search engine behind Google That's why all this plane crash video nonsense does so well.

Chinese spy balloons, Trevor Jacobs, Trent Palmer lawsuits anytime that type of news happens You don't have to make a video about it but you can make a video about a topic that loosely relates to it and include that verbiage somewhere near the end of your title and in your description.

You need to feed your core audience so whatever you're good at that people like about you you need to do that once a week but you also have to reach out to a larger audience that's where news and trending stuff comes in. You probably won't convert most of those people but they'll pay your bills.

Also this is the most important thing... How do you look in yoga pants?
So we should be expecting an episode from you where you strut it in lululemons?

I too have thought that some (or maybe all) of her antics have been manufactured drama in the hopes of getting likes and clicks. And that leads me to another hypothesis that y'all can shoot down and flame me over. (this is the internet :))!
You do have an imagination and I can see some people believing this, but like others have said, I think we were seeing it like it really was. Mind blowing as it may seem.

Last edited:
When I got back home, I downloaded the manual, read it cover to cover, downloaded the practice software and played around with it a little. Next time, I knew exactly what I was doing with the box. I invested probably 2 hours total into understanding the 430 better.
This is the way many pilots do it. Oops I didn’t know it. Let me learn it. Now go out and use it.

So we should be expecting an episode from you where you strut it in lululemons?
Oh, God, NO! Step away from the GoPro!!!
Dislike! Unsubscribe!!!

There's a British ferry pilot I like to watch occasionally. Guido Warnecke is his channel name. His videos are almost mundane enough to put you to sleep...the kind of thing only real pilots might appreciate. I find great pleasure in watching him handle various different aircraft especially since I'm going for my Instrument certification now. Most all his videos are in IFR.
I'm in IFR training now as well. Thanks for bringing this guy to my attention!

I'm pretty sure Guido is German. He spent a lot of time in South Africa too.

Wow!

Anyone here with Sporty's IFR course. Section 5:Advanced IFR, part 3.IFR Use of Autopilot. The guy mentions the use of runaway trim from fighting the autopilot. Couldn't help but think of this thread. @4:23 "Never, ever try to help an AP! Only one pilot can fly the plane at a time". Last sentence in video.."Lacking autopilot information, can lead you into a world of hurt!" OUCH!

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure Guido is German. He spent a lot of time in South Africa too.
Guido is a German who became an American citizen several years ago. I love his older, more plentiful videos. Great series in ferrying a Mooney. The man makes using checklists look like an art form,

Wow!

Anyone here with Sporty's IFR course. Section 5:Advanced IFR, part 3.IFR Use of Autopilot. The guy mentions the use of runaway trim from fighting the autopilot. Couldn't help but think of this thread. @4:23 "Never, ever try to help an AP! Only one pilot can fly the plane at a time". Last sentence in video.."Lacking autopilot information, can lead you into a world of hurt!" OUCH!
I have the Sporty’s course. And I agree. The most recent Garmin AP checklists I’ve seen don’t even have overcoming as part of the pre-flight check and warn not to try to overcome in flight. I’ve dropped that part even from APs which include it. Problem is that when you fight the trim, all you are doing is making the AP roll the trim in the opposite direction, making it worse, so when you finally get around to pulling the breaker, you are fighting a waaaaay out of trim condition.

As a flight instructor I can try to save people from themselves.

Based on what I have learned from this accident I will try harder.

I do not share your resignation.
I think the point is, you can do the best you can to instill the skills and knowledge, but in the end, they are on their own and in their own hands.

Yes, all CFIs should take this mishap and learn from it. And NOT pass people along that do not have the required skills. This is NOT no child left behind.

It is my observation that learners often get lost and confused.
True but she had 400hrs..also she had one ipad w FF, two garmin products that 430 and another gps I saw as well, a magnetic compass, a heading indicator and at least one iphone (android users don't make these mistakes) lol.

True but she had 400hrs..also she had one ipad w FF, two garmin products that 430 and another gps I saw as well, a magnetic compass, a heading indicator and at least one iphone (android users don't make these mistakes) lol.

And, Rockwood is right next to I-40. Fly east along I-40 (correct direction) and big mountains are easily seen. Fly west, and it’s flat.

Hell, my CFI used Rockwood as one of my cross country solos. I somehow found the place and got back as a < 40hr goober student pilot.

And, Rockwood is right next to I-40. Fly east along I-40 (correct direction) and big mountains are easily seen. Fly west, and it’s flat.

Hell, my CFI used Rockwood as one of my cross country solos. I somehow found the place and got back as a < 40hr goober student pilot.
Her lack of airmanship and general situational awareness is simply incomprehensible to me. Back in the day when I was working on my Private Pilot cert, I did all of the X/C's with a precessing DG, one VOR, and a Sectional across relatively featureless Lower Alabama, FLA, and GA without issue. It ain't that hard. With all the tools she had at her disposal it's child's play.

Her lack of airmanship and general situational awareness is simply incomprehensible to me. Back in the day when I was working on my Private Pilot cert, I did all of the X/C's with a precessing DG, one VOR, and a Sectional across relatively featureless Lower Alabama, FLA, and GA without issue. It ain't that hard. With all the tools she had at her disposal it's child's play.
I used to know a pilot whose dad bought her a portable LORAN to help find her way as a student pilot. She did all of her solo cross countries for Private and Commercial within the Approach cControl airspace of a major metropolitan airport so that when (not if) she got lost, she could call for vectors.

fortunately she was smart enough not to fly outside that airspace without an instructor, even with a Commercial/Instrument. I have no idea what happened to her.

Did she do any videos of her landings? That would be enlightening considering her "level" flights were all over the place.

Gravity and physics overruled Girl Boss.

can you imagine her not having the magenta line?
I wonder if she would have done better without. As her dad pointed out- they were right over I-40. She had a 50/50 shot at picking correctly ;)

I used to know a pilot whose dad bought her a portable LORAN to help find her way as a student pilot. She did all of her solo cross countries for Private and Commercial within the Approach cControl airspace of a major metropolitan airport so that when (not if) she got lost, she could call for vectors.

fortunately she was smart enough not to fly outside that airspace without an instructor, even with a Commercial/Instrument. I have no idea what happened to her.
My wife's instructor told her no GPS use (not that we owned one at this point) while learning. The plane she learned in did have an old clunky VOR-DME RNAV in it. I had showed my wife how to look up the RNAV coords of the destination airport in the brown book and put them into the system. She did that one time with the instructor and he then restated the restriction NO RNAV PERIOD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back