You guys- I've got a jet

That dude was hilarious! Basically dictating how others fly their pattern to avoid him. Nobody cares that you have a jet or that the pattern is busy or that you got a TCAS alert. I get those on a daily basis. Please don’t ever fly to either Oshkosh or Sun N Fun...or any fly in for that matter.

So did he report it to the FAA while he was flying downwind?

What a tool! Obviously not comfortable being an at uncontrolled airport, and seriously needs to quit trying to play ATC using his TCAS screen. He'd had a lot of fun at my home field, especially because I'm sure one or more others would put him in his place or drive him somewhere else.

I find it interesting that he knowingly put himself into an unsafe situation...sounds like a 709 ride might be in order.
I thought the same thing. I didn’t realize it was him saying this is unsafe at first, I thought it was someone else telling him his entry would be unsafe.

Respect for the restraint of the others on frequency.

I’m probably gonna get crucified for this but here goes. I didn’t hear ‘restraint,’ I heard cooperation from other pilots who had the picture. On the “...I reported this to the FAA...” thang, listen to right after that when someone keys up and says “sweet.” I got no feeling that he was ordering other planes around. I got no feeling he was an I’m a jet, I’m special, get outta my way type. I heard no ego. How many threads have we had here about the adventures of Uncontrolled Airports. Oops, I meant Non Towered. How many times has it boiled down to ‘ya gotta communicate’? I give Kudos to everybody, him and all the other pilots. Yeah, he did say West instead of East. He did say ‘overhead approach’ which is not what he was doing. Two checks in the boo boo column for him. Doesn’t change my opinion. Here ya go, take your best shot.

I’m probably gonna get crucified for this but here goes. I didn’t hear ‘restraint,’ I heard cooperation from other pilots who had the picture. On the “...I reported this to the FAA...” thang, listen to right after that when someone keys up and says “sweet.” I got no feeling that he was ordering other planes around. I got no feeling he was an I’m a jet, I’m special, get outta my way type. I heard no ego. How many threads have we had here about the adventures of Uncontrolled Airports. Oops, I meant Non Towered. How many times has it boiled down to ‘ya gotta communicate’? I give Kudos to everybody, him and all the other pilots. Yeah, he did say West instead of East. He did say ‘overhead approach’ which is not what he was doing. Two checks in the boo boo column for him. Doesn’t change my opinion. Here ya go, take your best shot.
He was clearly directing traffic, not just trying to fit in. He specifically stated that he was hoping the other traffic would get out of his way, because he didn’t want to do a go around. Maybe no ego, but definitely superiority. “This is unsafe...you guys are a problem” came through quite clearly.

I still think Mr. Cranium should be reevaluated by the FAA.

Last edited:
That Citation driver is a tool. No way he contacted the FAA while on downwind if he was paying attention to his flying and traffic. Besides, who elected him God to say whether there was too much traffic in the pattern to be safe?

That Citation driver is a tool. No way he contacted the FAA while on downwind if he was paying attention to his flying and traffic. Besides, who elected him God to say whether there was too much traffic in the pattern to be safe?
More than likely the contact was made previous to the flight. He was just wasting additional congested air time letting everyone know he had informed the FAA that everybody was a safety problem in his airport traffic pattern.

I’ll just say.. perhaps the “I’m a jet” thing was so others know he’ll be faster and not part of 85 knot pattern conga line

The “I’m reporting this to the FAA” is stupid and he was a bit too chatty and espousing an un-earned alpha status

But I can also appreciate that he was doing his best to remain safe..

I will still take this over somebody who is simply not on the radio or oblivious to everyone else and just flying straight in while there’s 10 people in a pattern

PS - Gillespie airport last year had some severely limited tower operating hours part of the pandemic. One afternoon a Challenger jet was coming in. Dude was making diligent radio calls from several miles out, somebody else in the pattern obviously oblivious decided to turn base and then base to final right in front of the jet.. jet pilot goes “did you just turn in front of me? I am a jet” .. Skyhawk dude says yes, you’ll be number two, to which the jet simply said “negative you will go around”

The Skyhawk dude obliged and me and my friend had a laugh.. we were coming back from Ramona and had sequenced in on the localizer behind

This is unsafe, I reported this to the FAA. Says the guy who squeezed in with his jet. What a tool!

His best clearly isn’t good enough.

he was operating beyond his abilities and requiring everyone else to compensate for that.

Exactly. Who looks at a situation and says... Wow thats unsafe! I’m going to join them, tell them what to do, then report them because it’s clearly unsafe! Lol.

I don't understand why a Citation was telling a Skyhawk behind him to slow down repeatedly. I mean "Slowtation" is a thing but come on.

I don't understand why a Citation was telling a Skyhawk behind him to slow down repeatedly. I mean "Slowtation" is a thing but come on.
I'm certain he was afraid the guy might have the audacity to fly a normal pattern and land, which means he'd have to go around.

You didn't see his video? Jerry moved to Bend and traded the Golden Eagle for the Citation.

Last edited:
"Just so you guys know I did report this to the FAA you guys there are too many people in this pattern. It is unsafe." :rolleyes:

So what makes everybody else unsafe and you are not a part of the problem? Because "I'm a jet?" Nobody else was having a problem with all the traffic. I agree with @Cervieres on the restraint.

The comments on YT are good though.

He specifically said he was in a jet. There’s no reason to state that. Citation is a giveaway. He told one aircraft to extend downwind and another behind him to fly as slow as possible. He’s telling other aircraft while on final that he hopes he doesn’t go around and hopes he doesn’t get another TCAS alert. Basically saying you all are in my way.

All he had to do is get established on downwind 500 ft above and slightly wider than a piston downwind. Once N9012H is on final, he could easily turn base and have a big enough gap. His calls were nonstandard, inaccurate and took up way too much time on a busy freq in making them. He has no business flying a jet if he can’t plan around slower aircraft. I fly a helicopter and I can plan around faster aircraft in the pattern.

I didn't listen to all of this but I sympathize with guys flying faster aircraft trying to get into small uncontrolled airports with slow movers doing repetitive patterns of touch and go after touch and go like moths around a light. Sometimes the repeat pattern guys are polite and make room for the full stop fast mover to coordinate a straight in merge with traffic. Sometimes I have had guys who fly repeat patterns at fully half my pattern airspeed get their undies in a twist when I don't want to try and get in behind them in the conga line.

If he thinks there are too many airplanes in the pattern and it's unsafe he should go somewhere else where there aren't so many airplanes in the pattern. What a tool! At my home field we have everything from gliders to corporate jets. I really prefer the jets to do straight ins calling where they are every two miles or so rather than entering on downwind when there's bunches of light SEL aircraft in the box pattern. We can just extend the downwind when the jet gets in close. It's relatively rare for the jet to have to go around unless a glider is committed to land.

Last edited:
If you're defending this guy, you too might be spending too much time looking at the fish finder and not enough with your eyeballs outside. One glider or NORDO aircraft and this guy would have been royally ****ed.

November 41ND you failed to enter the downwind on a 45 at a congested airport, I have a number for you to call. Advise when able to copy.....

Today's aeronautical knowledge quiz:

Q - What's the most appropriate action if you find it unsafe to land at your destination airport?
A - Go somewhere else!

If a pilot considers a situation unsafe, as this guy did to the point of repeatedly saying so, and then proceeds into the situation, I'd say his ADM is horribly flawed. Especially when he makes the situation less safe himself by giving an erroneous position report! I hope someone has a chat with this guy for his own good.

I commend the patience and tolerance of the other pilots. I doubt I would have been so generous.

That pattern wasn’t all that busy. He should visit EQY on a Saturday where squeezing in with 8 in the pattern is just a normal day. On second thought...nah, just stay in Bend.

1. Citation bro needs to spend a bit less time chatting on CTAF. It is congested enough. Where I fly, it is basically useless even with people making clear, concise reports... just too may aircraft sharing too many CTAFs close enough by. I didn't hear any squealing and/or skwaaanking on that CTAF.... wtf?
2. Citation bro needs to come out to HWY or CJR on a nice, sunny day. You want helicopters? They got em. You want flight schools? They got 'em. You want E/ABs doing acro stuff on the west side of the field? Sure! They got 'em.

That traffic pattern looked tame compared to several of the smaller, untowered aero-ports just outside the DC SFRA.

How do you get to fly a money jet and not be able to deal with a moderately-busy, untowered airport?

Back