You guys- I've got a jet

What a lovely side effect of ADS-B. Now some self-important jackass can pretend he’s a controller. Haha.
I guess it's a question of degree. I had a fellow pilot remind me to turn on my transponder once, which was perfectly fine with me.

What the heck is wrong with those guys down there in the pattern? Don’t they know that they’re supposed to clear the pipers and Cessnas out of the pattern for the almighty jet driver?
The jet driver was flying a Cessna, too. :D

What the heck is wrong with those guys down there in the pattern? Don’t they know that they’re supposed to clear the pipers and Cessnas out of the pattern for the almighty jet driver?

the student pilot is the only one who complied.

I guess it's a question of degree. I had a fellow pilot remind me to turn on my transponder once, which was perfectly fine with me.

I assume he just asked randomly “airplane over such and such”? He couldn’t have known who you were.

Also assuming you were in some airspace where it was required. Otherwise, who cares?

I assume he just asked randomly “airplane over such and such”? He couldn’t have known who you were.

Also assuming you were in some airspace where it was required. Otherwise, who cares?
We were on the same CTAF. He took off after I did, and he knew my tail number because I used it when I announced my departure.

He was flying a plane that was capable of overtaking me, which is probably why he cared. I cared too, because a collision would have been bad for both of us.

Per 91.215(c), having it turned on was required as soon as I climbed into controlled airspace (above 700 agl).

I was under the impression that I wouldn't show up on his screen at all with my transponder turned off. (I think the plane did not yet have ADS-B out.)

Some folks just overstep.
This guy was an extreme case.
I had a guy being a little less extreme a while back.
It was 500ft overcast at my airport (uncontrolled field).
I was doing my runup, getting ready to get clearance, and a guy hops on the radio and asks me if I know the field is IMC.
I replied, "Yes, thank you", but wondered why he felt the need to ask.

I don’t think he was clueless, just felt entitled.

Well the hoops of a type rating are no joke, but I agree not insurmountable by any stretch.

We can debate hours vs experience if you like, but probably in a different thread.
you're mellowing in your old age. ;)

Some folks just overstep.
This guy was an extreme case.
I had a guy being a little less extreme a while back.
It was 500ft overcast at my airport (uncontrolled field).
I was doing my runup, getting ready to get clearance, and a guy hops on the radio and asks me if I know the field is IMC.
I replied, "Yes, thank you", but wondered why he felt the need to ask.
People jump to conclusions.

It occurs to me to wonder how many of my own radio transmissions may have featured in "What an idiot" threads! :eek2:

I hate to tell the almighty Citation pilot, but he can probably slow down to around 110-120 knots and fit right into the pattern! He has obviously never been to Destin, before the tower, on a holiday weekend!!:D:D Or pretty much any destination airport during busy times. He was trying to fit one Citation in with a few piston singles, try it with 2 or 3 jets and turboprops, throw in a couple piston singles and twins! It’s fun!!

Being based there, I haven't thought about this, but of course you're right. On the other hand, I imagine something like "not familiar" would get the message across.

By the way, I've noticed that the controllers often (usually?) just say "the auto bridge" instead of the Dumbarton, which I imagine is obvious enough. On the other hand, one time when I was approaching from the northwest over the bay, they told me to fly over the end of the bridge without specifying which end. :rofl:

You're right that they usually use Auto Bridge instead of Dumbarton. Kinda funny, that. The Dumbarton and the Train bridges are actually called out on the sectional. I hadn't realized that until today.

I've been going to and from Palo Alto on a semi regular basis since 2011, and I'm still not quite sure where the duck pond and the bird house are.

You're right that they usually use Auto Bridge instead of Dumbarton. Kinda funny, that. The Dumbarton and the Train bridges are actually called out on the sectional. I hadn't realized that until today.

A lot of the train bridge burned down some years ago.
I've been going to and from Palo Alto on a semi regular basis since 2011, and I'm still not quite sure where the duck pond and the bird house are.
PAO Landmarks.png

Bird House.png

He must know the secret frequency to report little people to the FAA while in the pattern. I think they give you that frequency when you pick up your shiny new jet.

I was once cleared to land straight in from 7 miles out in a cub. The line of planes at the hold short line when I finally touched down......

I was once cleared to land in a 172 from about 25 miles out. I responded with something like "You know I'm not going to be there until Tuesday, right?" :D

Last edited:
He must know the secret frequency to report little people to the FAA while in the pattern. I think they give you that frequency when you pick up your shiny new jet.
Nah, I’m sure he just did it on Guard.

Sounds like an AWACS cockpit crew that had the fish, and one of the guys in back had to come up front and land.

You know, we make jokes about the guys in the really nice winged chariots, but my experience with them in my real world is extremely positive. For our size airport we have a pretty good number of Citations and a few King Airs.

I think the count is six including one who hangars nearby, but operates mostly out of our airport. Of those planes I know all but one of the pilots and know them reasonably well. A couple of them I know really well. None of the ones I know have an attitude that is at all objectionable. They are all very professional and courteous and just all around good guys. They always work well with whoever is in the pattern.

Of course there’s a you know what in most any group.

You know, we make jokes about the guys in the really nice winged chariots, but my experience with them in my real world is extremely positive. ... Of course there’s a you know what in most any group.
I agree.

I once landed at Clemson (CEU) for a bio-break on my way from Knoxville to Port St. Lucie in my Warrior. It was a Saturday, the Clemson Tigers were at home playing the Virginia Tech Hokies. The ramp was covered with bizjets. The infield was covered with spamcans. I was marshalled into a parking spot at the end of a long line of spamcans on the grass. Orange and purple was everywhere. The Alumni association had a table set up at the entrance to the FBO.

Of course, someone asked me where I was from. "Seattle," I said.
"You came all the way from Seattle in THAT?" He turned to his buddy. "Hey! This guy flew a Piper Warrior from Seattle."
It seemed such a trip was hard to fathom for someone who has a pilot fly them anywhere in a few hours. Everyone was very friendly and supportive, and I was invited to join a couple guys at the game. I declined as I was headed to visit an ill friend.

Back