Would you leave your Job

I feel I should respond to this. I make good money and I don't have to get my hands dirty. You have to love technology because its ever fast pace and always changing. Job Security! The dependence on computer systems will ever grow each passing year. As an IT professional I can work in any industry. You name any industry and there will be an IT staff behind it. You can thank that IT guy for that computer system in your Boeing Jet. Make that Jet totally Manual controls with out a FMS and Auto Pilot whatever. Good Luck flying it.

So back on Topic, I'm not sure if I would leave my Current IT job for a flying job even though its my dream to fly big iron. Well dreams becomes reality and I fly for my own pleasure and flying an airliner will not happen ever in my situation.
My post was not directed at you at all. Just saying that people get burnt out in every industry. Seems like airline pilots are the punching bags on this forum and it baffles me. I could personally never work a 9-5 job.

btw....if I'm gonna go and quit my day job, I'll be doing this.:yes:

Attachments

• just sittn.JPG
    just sittn.JPG
    86.9 KB · Views: 28
The OP's proposal is a fantasy scenario as no major airline is going to hire a pilot who has no previous relevant work experience as an FO. I could say that I'm interested in emergency medicine but no one is going to let me walk in as an assistant in an ER.

You're wrong as that happened in the early 60s when airlines (think UAL did) even paid for training, and I mean pilot certificates. May not happen again, but then again if the so-called pilot shortage becomes factual who knows? Never say never in aviation.

Last edited:
You're wrong as that happened in the early 60s when airlines (heard UAL did) even paid for training, and I mean pilot certificates. May not happen again, but then again if the so-called pilot shortage becomes factual who knows? Never say never in aviation.
There isn't a shortage of pilots applying for major airline FO slots, though. In the early 1960s the regionals didn't exist to the same extent, if at all.

Take it from an old man who's been there and done that, that is NOT a good way to run your life. You are young and you have a choice between a mediocre career and following your passion. Make the right choice here, my friend. Inertia is the killer.

Amen! ^^^^^Words of wisdom right there!

I've said it before and I'll say it again - maybe and that's a big maybe you could get me to work a cubicle job for somewhere in the neighborhood of $450k a year - maybe.

Any less than that and I'll stay right here at Delta. We're currently in contract negotiations and just from what our brothers over at United got I have a pretty good feeling we're going to top it. With wide body captains making over 300 bucks an hour you get a couple of trips bought by the training department and throw in profit sharing and you're over 400k a year.

Hard to beat in a rat race job where you go in with all the traffic then come home with all the traffic and have the same crappy two days off a week as everybody else.

How would you rate the job satisfaction now, compared to flying AH-1s in the Marines? Probably an apples to oranges comparison with the monetary differences but just curious if it's something you miss doing.

In IT?
Sheesh, am I in the wrong field! :D

"IT" covers a lot of territory. It's almost such a broad term to make it meaningless. Everyone from PC repairmen to networking techs to systems programmers are in IT. The amount of skill and training varies wildly from one end of the spectrum to the other, as does the pay scale.

I just moved out of a job which required a bunch of travel. I'm in facility maintenance management for a big retail operation. The salary plus my military retirement allow me to fly for fun, but the corporate grind isn't much fun. Looking forward to early retirement in 4-5 years.

As a young guy, one of my very good flying friends went to work for the airlines. He never wanted to fly when he off and his days off rarely aligned with mine anyway. He finally bought an FBO he ran for several years. He now has fueling service contracts with several military use airports.

If I were to go into a flying job, I'd likely want to fly ag. I grew up in an ag flying. business and miss being around it.

This space intentional left blank.

Last edited:
In my late 20's that when I decided it was all about, job security, job stability, and secured pension.

There isn't a shortage of pilots applying for major airline FO slots, though. In the early 1960s the regionals didn't exist to the same extent, if at all.

Not yet. Not saying it will happen. Regionals will start disappearing until maybe 3-4 large ones remain, if even that many. Majors have already begun taking back routes that regionals have been flying for the past 25 years, especially Delta. So, as always, time will tell. :D

Last edited:
If pay was comparable? Yes. I love what I do, but I also love to fly. I just love to be in the air. I even get a sick enjoyment about being in the back of the big iron, so I have no doubt I'd love being up front.

That said, I know of more former airline drivers doing what I do now than vice versa, so there's got to be something to that. OTOH, I'd have to be one of those professional pilots that still flew as a hobby as well. No way could it ever just be a job for me.

I never had any desire to be a shuttle bus flyer...

...it would feel too much like being a bus driver to me...

?.."flying bus driver" never excited me.

I'm not cut out for bus driving...

This is by far the most common theme people here on PoA give for not wanting to become an airline pilot. I get not wanting to become a Part 121 guy/gal, but I never got that analogy. What exactly about being an airline pilot is analogous to being a bus driver? Can someone explain? I'm serious. I don't get the connection...

If pay was comparable? Yes. I love what I do, but I also love to fly. I just love to be in the air. I even get a sick enjoyment about being in the back of the big iron, so I have no doubt I'd love being up front.

That said, I know of more former airline drivers doing what I do now than vice versa, so there's got to be something to that. OTOH, I'd have to be one of those professional pilots that still flew as a hobby as well. No way could it ever just be a job for me.

Really?? Numerous retired big iron drivers work with you??

I find that odd.

I'm burnt out with my job, I'd take the pay cut and dive in head first

Really?? Numerous retired big iron drivers work with you??
You seem to have at least partially misunderstood what I wrote.
I find that odd.
Why is that?

This is by far the most common theme people here on PoA give for not wanting to become an airline pilot. I get not wanting to become a Part 121 guy/gal, but I never got that analogy. What exactly about being an airline pilot is analogous to being a bus driver? Can someone explain? I'm serious. I don't get the connection...

You pull into the station, pick up a few hundred PAX, then talk to dispatch and head off to the destination. rinse and repeat. I don't think the analogy is that far off at all. Now, that doesn't mean an airline pilot is no different than a bus driver, because the risk/responsibility as well as the level of training and skill are worlds apart. It's difficult to paint such a large portion of aviation with such a wide brush, but it's not without its merit. Similar comparisons are made in just about every profession.

I think I'd much rather work in a smaller flight department and make runs into the executive airports and slightly more varied destinations. Having done neither, my opinion is worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You seem to have at least partially misunderstood what I wrote.Why is that?

Well, your second question should answer your first.

In short, retired major airline pilots are not all over the place, especially seeking alternative employment post 65 years old.

Yes, and in a way that is along the lines of what I'm doing right now.

I am leaving active duty at 16 years (giving up the AD retirement) in order to get my ATP and throw in with the airlines while hiring is still good. It will be a significant paycut (at least for a few years), but while I have enjoyed the Navy, at my level, the job satisfaction is not what it used to be. I always wanted to be a professional pilot and I'd like to pursue that now for as long as I can.

I've been told I'm crazy/certifiably nuts. I do own a Beech 18, so maybe there is some truth to those allegations....

I have considered doing this. I would be taking a huge paycut but I do believe I could swing my bills for the first couple years until the pay gets a little better. Issues:

The 1500 hour rule is a major roadblock. Finding the time to do that much flying, I just don't know, it would take forever.

I'm not sure I could even get a 1st class medical with my sleep apnea.

And of course there is the fear that turning it into a job would remove all the fun.

So, I'll stick to the status quo. Life isn't too bad anyways:D

Not yet. Not saying it will happen. Regionals will start disappearing until maybe 3-4 large ones remain, if even that many. Majors have already begun taking back routes that regionals have been flying for the past 25 years, especially Delta. So, as always, time will tell. :D

You do realize that if the major airlines start needing to attract people in this way that the job itself probably does not seem desirable to enough people.

Ok.....how are you suited for beeper attire?....and limo gigs? Same difference. :goofy:

You do realize that if the major airlines start needing to attract people in this way that the job itself probably does not seem desirable to enough people.

Not sure I understand. Why wouldn't a major job still be desirable? Source of pilot applicants for the majors is mostly regionals and military, and others like corporate etc. It will be awhile before the shortage affects the majors but they are concerned about it in the near future. I think the problem now is not as many folks are starting the process, due to the cost at schools like Emery Riddle etc, and the ROI starting at a regional, although the salaries are slowly increasing. Banks aren't granting loans as they have in the past after the financial crisis a few years ago either. And there aren't as many military pilots either compared to years ago.

Isn't that a better life style? ....for a family man? :D

Depends greatly on the gig. There are some great corporate jobs with good pay and lot of down time and a lot where you never know when/where or for how long.

121 flying at least has a schedule that you can plan your life around.

Personally speaking, 121 appeals to me more than corporate.

Not sure I understand. Why wouldn't a major job still be desirable? Source of pilot applicants for the majors is mostly regionals and military, and others like corporate etc. It will be awhile before the shortage affects the majors but they are concerned about it in the near future. I think the problem now is not as many folks are starting the process, due to the cost at schools like Emery Riddle etc, and the ROI starting at a regional, although the salaries are slowly increasing. Banks aren't granting loans as they have in the past after the financial crisis a few years ago either. And there aren't as many military pilots either compared to years ago.
If they don't get enough applicants it must mean that they are not finding enough people who think the job is worth the struggle.

If they don't get enough applicants it must mean that they are not finding enough people who think the job is worth the struggle.

It's the regionals who are having a difficult time recruiting pilot. Majors have thousands of applicants on file, and they'll do something about it if they begin to have that problem. All subject to change of course.

It's the regionals who are having a difficult time recruiting pilot. Majors have thousands of applicants on file, and they'll do something about it if they begin to have that problem. All subject to change of course.
I know that, but your theory was that the major airlines will need to do this at some point.

Back