Would you leave your Job

So Is that forced retirement at 65 even though you can still pass Class 1 medical?

Yeah, have you seen old people behind the wheel of a car? Now imagine them in a plane. Good thing 737's don't have a turn signal. It would be left on from Orlando to Dallas.

So Is that forced retirement at 65 even though you can still pass Class 1 medical?

Yes airline, Part 121, 65 it is. One can still fly commercially though, like Part 135, just not Part 121.

Last edited:

Yes. It's a hard limit in 121 regs. But the FAA is currently studying 67 and 70. Many believe they'll up the age sooner rather than later due to the massive cluster they created with the 1,500 hour SIC rule.

Flying is one of the best ways to see the word, if I were you I would use my military history to get me into the air guard or air force. If you long for travel and adventure then this is the best way to do it.

Like mentioned previously, Flying as a job would take the joy out of it for me. At this point in my life being told what to do really sucks!

Maybe when I was a rookie in the IT field but I couldn't take a cut in pay now. And I'm not sure I could handle the responsibility of 100 other souls. Fedex, UPS, or now Amazon package delivery maybe.
When I was a young rookie in IT, I had a couple of part time jobs, one teaching and one in retail. Both kept me out late nights. With a young family, you miss a lot of time with them. And if I wasn't working Sundays for my primary job (IT changes were mostly Sundays or very early days), the retail job was always Sunday. Beats you up and doesn't do a thing for the family either.

Last edited:
Flying is one of the best ways to see the word, if I were you I would use my military history to get me into the air guard or air force. If you long for travel and adventure then this is the best way to do it.

Nothing says adventure like blowing people up...

And when most talk about travel they don't mean places with mass carnage and places where no one wants you there.

I would say if you want to have tax payers forced to pay for your flight training, want to fly phenomenal aircraft and don't mind killing some people for your government representive and lobbyists in trade, sure.

Personally if I wanted to travel and see the world I'd rather pay my own way and get on with someone like Atlas.

Like mentioned previously, Flying as a job would take the joy out of it for me. At this point in my life being told what to do really sucks!
I see it as getting paid to do what I love. I fly everyday as an instructor and don't pay a dime for it.

We will check in with you in a few years.

I've been flying for a living for over have a decade, still love it and don't really view it as work.

Think it's just being picky about who you work for and hour QOL, this gets easier as you get more hours, just don't let anyone ruin it for you, don't stick around crumby operators or toxic environments.

Yup... I still enjoy my job, but not always. Anytime you're working on someone else's timeframe, going to a place someone else wants to go, and flying in miserable weather because someone else needs to get there....
Well, let's just say that after a number of years that changes the equation a bit.

Been flying professionally full time for roughly 17 years now. Still enjoy it, although I admit some of the BS that doesn't necessarily involve the flying part of the job gets onerous sometimes.

Then again, I don't have a typical airline type job.

Flew airlines for 24 years. I was more than ready to go, and don't miss it. A lot of BS goes with that job.

Being a 50 yo low time PPL, if an airline offered to train me and give me a job, yep......I am outta here. But, chances are I will win the lottery first.

Been with the airlines for 25 years now. Still enjoying it. Can't think of anything I'd rather do. Enjoy the flying and the people I fly with and the time at home between trips.

Back