Trevor Jacob Crash and Burn

Surely not your own.
As I recall the the law states "any person" and "any aircraft". The 2 instances of this I have personal knowledge of involved the owner purposely damaging their own aircraft and this was part of the discussion. So I believe it doesnt matter who owned the aircraft.

As I recall the the law states "any person" and "any aircraft". The 2 instances of this I have personal knowledge of involved the owner purposely damaging their own aircraft and this was part of the discussion. So I believe it doesnt matter who owned the aircraft.
Yes, read literally, the statue criminalizes tearing up a paper airplane. I'd be surprised to find anyone had been prosecuted for that though.

He put out a video on his channel admitting what he did wrong and talking about his prison sentence etc . He sounds like a complete psychopath

I'd be surprised to find anyone had been prosecuted for that though.
No clue. But I do remember once that specific topic was brought to the table the "issue" was resolved at a lower level. So I imagine there is some clout behind that law for people and counsel to react to it in that manner.

Yes, read literally, the statue criminalizes tearing up a paper airplane. I'd be surprised to find anyone had been prosecuted for that though.
Seems it would have a chilling effect on airplane salvage operations…

This reminds me of the argument that you must be an A&P to legally work on a certified aircraft. An argument that is completely wrong.

I’d bet there’s more verbiage than just “it’s illegal for any person to destroy any aircraft” that would provide for a more reasonable literal reading.

Overcrowding and a prosecutor that wants an easy case.... It's how a customer of mine screwed me out of 8k. They should have been in prison after selling a rented skid steer in a tractor supply parking lot...they got probation!

The red bull guys jumped out and crashed a plane. Did anyone get time there? I guess they didn't have the intent this knuckle dragger did.

I’d bet there’s more verbiage than just “it’s illegal for any person to destroy any aircraft” that would provide for a more reasonable literal reading.
The reasonable reading is that it isn't criminal to destroy your own stuff or someone else's stuff with their permission. "Consent" is a common defense. It's why dozens of football players don't get booked for assault every Sunday.

I am sure he will be out quick, but still... nice to see he will actually see the inside of a prison... as white collar as I am sure it will be. I assume lifelong ban from flying as well?
IMG_8120.png

Jacobs pleaded guilty to obstruction of justice by lying and destroying evidence during the course of an investigation. If a conspiracy theorist want to make more of it than that, i guess that’s the way it goes.

The reasonable reading is that it isn't criminal to destroy your own stuff or someone else's stuff with their permission. "Consent" is a common defense. It's why dozens of football players don't get booked for assault every Sunday.
And that defense probably works because of the literal reading.

sorry I started a whole new thread about him because I didn't see this. according to his YouTube he has gotten his license back. I am absolutely shocked and frankly upset that the FAA would let this guy get those privileges back. Not fair.

I refuse to even start watching any of his videos, but don't discount the fact that he's already been proven to be a lying sack of poo.

Under his record (He's Trevor D Jacob) he's got the medical as 11/2023 (but apparently is color blind and botched or didn't try the OCVT).
He has no pilot certificates.

Is a Rans S-21 technically a light sport - hence no pilot license needed? I didn't watch his video, just know he owns N63BG and assume that's the airplane.

Is a Rans S-21 technically a light sport - hence no pilot license needed? I didn't watch his video, just know he owns N63BG and assume that's the airplane.
Light-Sport requires at least a Sport Pilot certificate, but no medical. You may be thinking of ultralights, which require no pilot certificate but are limited to only one seat.

The Rans S-21 is too heavy and too fast to be either.

Light-Sport requires at least a Sport Pilot certificate, but no medical. You may be thinking of ultralights, which require no pilot certificate but are limited to only one seat.

Rans has two versions of the S-21: S-LSA factory built, and the kit which is normally E-AB but could be done as LSA.

That's right, I was getting my light sport and ultra light confused. Woops :)

Rans has two versions of the S-21: S-LSA factory built, and the kit which is normally E-AB but could be done as LSA.
Oh, OK. Wikpedia has the S-21 as being 1800# gross, but of course it can be artificially limited to 1320 to meet LSA at the cost of useful load. I was mistaken on the speed, it looks like it's OK there.

Under his record (He's Trevor D Jacob) he's got the medical as 11/2023 (but apparently is color blind and botched or didn't try the OCVT).
Gonna guess he does, given he posted a video of himself piloting a plane.
Or at least he believes he does.

I am sure he will be out quick, but still... nice to see he will actually see the inside of a prison... as white collar as I am sure it will be. I assume lifelong ban from flying as well?

Waste of our money IMO. Fine him, pull his cert, and ban him from social media. The world will be a better place.

Now he is just using it for more attention…

What the actual F. I feel like the FAA is trolling us. He got his license back? Is that real?

What the actual F. I feel like the FAA is trolling us. He got his license back? Is that real?
Under existing law, after one year has passed since a revocation, the former certificate holder is eligible for reissue. He has to pass the written test, complete checkride prep (three hours dual) and pass a checkride. The FAA has no choice. They can’t deny a certificate to someone who meets the criteria because they’re unpopular (Trevor Jacob). This seems to be the opposite of many - not all, but many - pilots who were mad about the FAA revoking Martha Lunken’s certificate for a stunt. The difference is one is a young dude who makes videos of adrenaline flying, and one is an old lady who wrote a column in a print magazine.

He didn’t get an ATP, did he?
I don’t know for sure, so I’m going to be really careful to glance into the flight deck every time I board an airliner. The pilot shortage is real.

I checked the airman registry today. It appears that the system updated. I am not sure how he did it or if the FAA is just dumb, stupid, lazy, or just too rigid. Another member posted an image from https://s30121.pcdn.co/wp-content/uploads/2022/04/Jacob-EOR-2022WP010003-FOIA_Redacted.pdf, but it was back from 2022.
I remember in the video around the 7 minute mark, he explains everything he did to get his license back, which really wasn't that much, hence why he also got the medical. I just don't understand - truly flabbergasting.
They can’t deny a certificate to someone who meets the criteria because they’re unpopular
Do they ever just deny if due to a concern to public safety - for a federal authority that is supposed to be safety oriented? I am immensely surprised because this is very dumb. in the meantime, I commenced the tango in the HIMS maze of endless hell. We need both the license and the medical to fly and somehow he did this and gets all his flying privileges back all whilst potentially lying on item 18 of the medical.

Not that I want to stick up for the douche, I mean dude, but is there actually a regulation regarding "willful crashing of an aircraft"?
18 USC 32a: "Whoever willfully- 1)...wrecks any aircraft...shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than twenty years or both.

Do they ever just deny if due to a concern to public safety - for a federal authority that is supposed to be safety oriented?
FAA has no say-so in the matter. US law allows for a person to obtain a new certificate 1 year after their original certificate was revoked. Know several people who did something 100x worse than Jacob and are now flying again at the commercial level. I'm sure if the FAA could ban people from flying again they would without hesitation.

Why do I think it’s going to be hard for him to get insurance?

Back