Trevor Jacob Crash and Burn

The US Attorney has agreed to recommend a sentence no higher than 18 months (assuming Trevor has no prior criminal record).

No, the prosecution agreed to recommend a sentence at the minimum of the range if the offense level is at least 15. At level 15 the minimum sentence is 18 months, but the judge could use a higher level with a longer minimum sentence. IOW, the plea deal sets 18 months as the shortest possible sentence, not the longest.

This whole thing is backwards. He’s a modern era shock jock… this can only help him. Any exposure…. Blah blah blah.

The best way to punish a narcissistic histrionic is to ignore them. Quietly make him a felon, take away the right to free speech. Problem solved.

Well, I reckon if they can take away your right to FREEDOM, GUNS and VOTING… why not?

Just gotta get a sentence more than a year, right? Probate that, why waste a bed when you can give it to a wife beater or kid molester?

Almost daily! Let me tell you, while it isn’t what it used to be (used to be much better) most of it ain’t half bad. Fried chicken patties are a personal favorite, and depending on the day, the fish is pretty good.

Where I grew up in Texas, almost 50 years ago a local and well respected prominent restaurateur was convicted of running a drug ring. Really shocked the town, ya just never know. He worked a plea deal that if he could stay in county he would cook for the county jail.

The agreement was worked out and he was given 5 years to be served in the county jail. Local politicians could be seen eating there as well as county employees. The town joke was, "I'm gonna run a stop sign so I can eat at county''...

The guy was paroled after 24 months, and the county prisoners almost rioted. The county offered him a job running the county prison kitchen. He took the job and stayed with it for around 24-25 years. He was in his mid 80s when he retired.

My almost FIL was a sheriff in Alabama. He told me prison meals there cost him $2.50 per person. (20 years ago) It was sort of a low cost MRE made specifically for prisons. Just awful. I thought it constituted cruel and unusual punishment.

The local federal prisons around here served prepared box meals. I understand it is not very good. I would venture a guess that prison meals are different in every location.

No, the prosecution agreed to recommend a sentence at the minimum of the range if the offense level is at least 15. At level 15 the minimum sentence is 18 months, but the judge could use a higher level with a longer minimum sentence. IOW, the plea deal sets 18 months as the shortest possible sentence, not the longest.
Nope, it just sets the USAO's recommendation at 18 months. Again, nothing is binding on the judge.

The amusing part of the agrement is while he's on probation he promises not to get a pilot's certificate.

Nope, it just sets the USAO's recommendation at 18 months. Again, nothing is binding on the judge.

The amusing part of the agrement is while he's on probation he promises not to get a pilot's certificate.

I didn’t say it was binding on the judge. I said the agreement sets the prosecution’s recommendation at the minimum of the range for the offense level IF the offense level is at least 15. Read the excerpt I posted. The agreement doesn’t say 18 months; it refers to the guidelines table.

Y
I didn’t say it was binding on the judge. I said the agreement sets the prosecution’s recommendation at the minimum of the range for the offense level IF the offense level is at least 15. Read the excerpt I posted. The agreement doesn’t say 18 months; it refers to the guidelines table.
I read what you said, but you didn't say the prosecutors recommendation, you said the sentence was so limited. You said:
At level 15 the minimum sentence is 18 months, but the judge could use a higher level with a longer minimum sentence. IOW, the plea deal sets 18 months as the shortest possible sentence, not the longest.
That's not true. Zero is the shortest possible sentence. 18 months is the shortest the recommendation might equate to. Yes, if they adjust up the offense level, the recommendation increases.

The plea agreement says they will recommend a sentence at the lower end of the Guideline range (18 months) and reserve the right to appeal the sentence if the judge goes lower.

Correct, normally either side can appeal the sentence. This agreement has waivers on appeal by both parties qualified by certain conditions.

That's not true. Zero is the shortest possible sentence.

Yes, but in that case the plea deal is no longer valid and the prosecution wouldn't be bound to drop the other charges. Under the constraints of the plea deal, the sentence can be 18 months (offense level 15 minimum sentence) or longer, but not shorter.

As always, the judge has no obligation to abide by the plea deal. And if he chooses to go shorter than the recommendation, the prosecution will no longer be obliged to adhere to it either.

I would venture a guess that prison meals are different in every location.

Not only every location, but different inmates cooking can make a difference. One guy gets really good at some dish and then he gets released/transferred/sent to the hole/etc. Next guy doesn’t have a clue how to make it so it’s garbage.

Tonight’s dinner wasn’t that great, but ironically, the no meat tray was pretty decent!

(But the fly-in breakfast I had this morning at KRVL was MUUUUUUCH better!)

Yes, but in that case the plea deal is no longer valid and the prosecution wouldn't be bound to drop the other charges. Under the constraints of the plea deal, the sentence can be 18 months (offense level 15 minimum sentence) or longer, but not shorter.

As always, the judge has no obligation to abide by the plea deal. And if he chooses to go shorter than the recommendation, the prosecution will no longer be obliged to adhere to it either.

OK, now we agree.

He would have been better off just doing the stunt, removing the plane and discarding it. Why file the paperwork where you know you are going to have to lie to the feds.

When the FAA found out about the crash and if they came knocking be like oops and take the slap on the wrist.

Never. Ever. Ever. Never lie to the feds

How long do the experts think it will take for the sentence to be passed?

Does anyone know if his plane was insured, and if so was a claim filed?

He would have been better off just doing the stunt, removing the plane and discarding it. Why file the paperwork where you know you are going to have to lie to the feds.

When the FAA found out about the crash and if they came knocking be like oops and take the slap on the wrist.

Never. Ever. Ever. Never lie to the feds
More than a slap on the wrist; he destroyed evidence. It's possible the helicopter company could have suffered some grief, as well. And, ya know, the FAA would see the YT video.

But can he fly his paramotor? I hope not.

This whole thing is backwards. He’s a modern era shock jock… this can only help him. Any exposure…. Blah blah blah.

The best way to punish a narcissistic histrionic is to ignore them. Quietly make him a felon, take away the right to free speech. Problem solved.
There have been precious few instances where someone was silenced, and if so, it was a condition of their release.

But can he fly his paramotor? I hope not.
Yes, as no pilot certificate is required for an ultralight.

There are a few other morons that the paramotor community wishes could be grounded, but there's no legal way.

My almost FIL was a sheriff in Alabama. He told me prison meals there cost him $2.50 per person. (20 years ago) It was sort of a low cost MRE made specifically for prisons. Just awful. I thought it constituted cruel and unusual punishment.

The local federal prisons around here served prepared box meals. I understand it is not very good. I would venture a guess that prison meals are different in every location.
As Joe Arpaio always said it, if it's good enough for our soldiers, it's good enough for prisoners. I don't condone a lot of what he did, but he had some good points. If you don't want to eat a meal from a box, don't go to prison. One of the biggest complaints about Joe's tactics were he was running a jail, not a prison, so a lot of people there were not convicted yet and presumed innocent. In a prison, you've been convicted.

My almost FIL was a sheriff in Alabama. He told me prison meals there cost him $2.50 per person. (20 years ago)

Did you ask him how much he received to cover the costs of the meals? I think this is a pretty standard form of "compensation" for sheriffs. They receive X amount to pay for meals, and if they spend only Y amount, they get to personally pocket X-Y. Needless to say, many tend to be bargain hunters when it comes to shopping for prisoner food.

Did you ask him how much he received to cover the costs of the meals? I think this is a pretty standard form of "compensation" for sheriffs. They receive X amount to pay for meals, and if they spend only Y amount, they get to personally pocket X-Y. Needless to say, many tend to be bargain hunters when it comes to shopping for prisoner food.
Nope and like I said, I don't support a lot of things he did. I do agree that giving a prisoner a meal that is the same thing as a soldier gets is not 'cruel and unusual'. At one point, he switched to a no-meat diet and only two meals a day, which supposedly caused riots. To be clear though, I don't know much about him, but if prisons want to serve military-grade MREs... I'm okay with that.

I never asked, but I noticed that the county credit card used to purchase the meals for the county jail was also used to fill the sheriff's pantry at home, and pay for the family's lunch on Sunday. This was a charge he had to answer to when the opposing party was trying to get him voted out. They were unsuccessful.

I never asked, but I noticed that the county credit card used to purchase the meals for the county jail was also used to fill the sheriff's pantry at home, and pay for the family's lunch on Sunday. This was a charge he had to answer to when the opposing party was trying to get him voted out. They were unsuccessful.
That's illegal. Did he get charged? Or was he filling the DA's pantry to?

That's illegal. Did he get charged? Or was he filling the DA's pantry to?

Apparently it was allowed at the time. It was dismissed at the hearing and no further charges. One time the sheriffs wife gave me the county credit card to use to pick up Sunday lunch. I did not feel comfortable doing that so I paid for lunch.

The opposing party was told there was no misuse and to not bring it up again, so next they tried to charge him with using county property for personal use. Turned out he was allowing the deputies to drive their county sheriff's police car home after their shift was over.

The DA probably had a state credit card. :lol:

Yes, as no pilot certificate is required for an ultralight.

There are a few other morons that the paramotor community wishes could be grounded, but there's no legal way.
There are likely local nuisance laws that would work. But only for a small jurisdiction.

The opposing party was told there was no misuse and to not bring it up again, so next they tried to charge him with using county property for personal use. Turned out he was allowing the deputies to drive their county sheriff's police car home after their shift was over.
That's one of the big perks now! I'm still surprised when I a police car parked at a house 4 or 5 towns out of their jurisdiction.

Take-home cars are pretty common in many places. Here in Florida, it seems to be nearly universal. The advantage is that it gets officers available in the field more readily. An officer goes on duty from his driveway instead of driving to work in his personal vehicle, changing into uniform and loading his gear into his patrol car. If there is an emergency call in his way in, pr they need to call in off-duty personnell for some major incident or just a staffing shortage, they’re available anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour sooner.

The department I worked for didn’t have take-home marked cars (only detectives got take-homes), but we did go from pool cars (grab the nearest, drive a different patrol car every day) to assigned cars which were only shared with one deputy who worked the opposite days off. They found that the cars were kept cleaner, maintenance squawks were reported sooner, plus it improved morale.

If it was I’d think we would already be seeing reports of being charged with insurance fraud.
That would require the insurance company to be victim, and they don't like to do that. They would just deny the claim. If the police/feds tried to charge him, nearly all insurance companies refuse to cooperate with criminal investigations of simple fraud.

That would require the insurance company to be victim, and they don't like to do that. They would just deny the claim. If the police/feds tried to charge him, nearly all insurance companies refuse to cooperate with criminal investigations of simple fraud.
I don't believe that last statement; I know of two large insurance companies that I've used that go out of their way to help prosecute fraudsters.

Juan Brown summarizes the situation on the Blancolirio Channel.

That's one of the big perks now! I'm still surprised when I a police car parked at a house 4 or 5 towns out of their jurisdiction.

This depends on the agency, and purpose, among other things. In some cases LE is required to take a car home if they're on call, because they can't respond otherwise. In NY at the state level it depends on the agency.

Back