Too late to start Flying?

CessnaTom

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Thomas_McCray
I'm 34 years old and have had a passion for flying for about 5 years now. Not looking to fly Boeings or anything. Looking to start a career flying smaller aircraft. Is is too late for me to start at my age?

Not at all. There are several success stories on here of folks who started older than you.

I though about volunteering at the local Airport and meeting pilots and getting to know the ropes before i start. It will likely take me 3-4 years before i take the plunge. I hear it's more about the people you know than anything.

I though about volunteering at the local Airport and meeting pilots and getting to know the ropes before i start. It will likely take me 3-4 years before i take the plunge. I hear it's more about the people you know than anything.

No. It’s more about you, your attitude, work ethic, dedication, etc.

Go take a Discovery flight, or three. See what you think. Any medical problems, DUIs, ADd, etc?

What steps did you take to start? What was it like financially?

Financially I sold everything I had from a previous business so I was cash rich at the time. (flight school took care of that pile of money...:lol:)

I went to an accelerated flight school, that is ground school was 8 to 5 every day except weekends, until that part is finished, then fly twice a day, weather and maintenance permitting. It wasn't a push through school, every student had to fly within standards before moving on the next lesson.

I went up to multi commercial, then changed schools for CFI and CFII. Money made that decision for me. The second school was not as fancy like the first school was, but they got the job done.

First step is health. Find an AME and do a consultation to make sure there won't be any problems health wise.

Yes, you are too old. You need to lessen your expectations to a thankless job you don't like that pays you just enough to stay at home, eat bad food and watch drivel on TV and anesthetize yourself to it all with copious quantities of alcohol.

Steingar, the guy who started flying when he was way older than you, you stinking ****** kid.

Yes, you are too old. You need to lessen your expectations to a thankless job you don't like that pays you just enough to stay at home, eat bad food and watch drivel on TV and anesthetize yourself to it all with copious quantities of alcohol.
This explains why your location is listed as "Land of Savages" :p

I'm 34 years old and have had a passion for flying for about 5 years now. Not looking to fly Boeings or anything. Looking to start a career flying smaller aircraft. Is is too late for me to start at my age?
I have socks older than you.

Go take a Discovery flight, or three. See what you think. Any medical problems, DUIs, ADd, etc?
Drugs, alcohol, ADD, not an issue. Don't do drugs. Okay you got me on alcohol, had Bookers last night with a friend. Maybe 1-2 a month. I have flown before and taken a flight lesson for my birthday 2 years ago. Almost died. The screw on the trim wheel shimmed out and got stuck in the nose down position. A mile more and we would not had made the runway. Immediately went in and talked about lessons. Had other things in my life at the time to worry about and didn't start.

You are much too young. Wait 20 or 30 years before starting. That way you'll be risking less of your life, and you'll probably be in a better financial position besides.

Seriously, you can start at any age. The older you get, the more hours it will likely take for you to acquire the physical skills and coordination, but it's hardly insurmountable.

Beware - this is a big commitment in time and money, and once licensed you will need to fly regularly to maintain your skills. Many people start lessons; few finish. Go in with your eyes open and be fully prepared to devote your life, your fortune, and your wife's sacred honor.

Looks like they ask about "Have you ever had any intestinal trouble?" I used to have ulseritive colitis. Had my large intestines removed. But everything is fine now and have no issues. have been for years. Only thing is i have to use the bathroom more than the average person. would this disqualify me from flying?

Looks like they ask about "Have you ever had any intestinal trouble?" I used to have ulseritive colitis. Had my large intestines removed. But everything is fine now and have no issues. have been for years. Only thing is i have to use the bathroom more than the average person. would this disqualify me from flying?

Get that answered before you do the medical for score. Have a "consultation" with an AME first. If you are told that it will be difficult or very expensive to get the medical, you can still get a Sport Pilot certificate using only a driver's license as your medical qualification. If, however, your FAA medical is denied, Sport Pilot is no longer an option. UNDERSTAND YOUR SITUATION AND OPTIONS BEFORE PROCEEDING.

The best medical resource to answer your questions is Dr. Bruce Chien, aeromedicaldoc@comcast.net . He hangs out on the medical forum quite a bit.

Okay. Thank you everyone for the informative and sarcastic responses! Looks like i know where to start!

I doubt you'll have a problem but you will likely need to get a special issuance. Discuss with the AME before hand what documentation he or she will need to see. More info here.

I soloed at 32, ended up with an ATP certificate and a Lear type rating.

Bob

I don't think this would disqualify you. However, since this was a significant healthcare issue, the FAA will want to be assured that the situation has been adequately addressed and that there are no ongoing issues or complications that would become a safety of flight problem.

During the consultation, the AME can advise you on what items you need to obtain and send in to the FAA for your UC and removal of the large intestine. And if the consulting AME is really good, he or she can advise you on how to keep the doctor letters simple and on point, making the reviewer's job easy. If the doctors want to show off how much of a medical thesaurus they swallowed, that's when the reviewers job gets difficult. Moral: all doctor's letters should be in plain language easily understood by lay people and five year olds.

If you are currently on medications for the bowel removal, and declared those, but didn't declare the operation that removed the bowl, that is one way to get yourself wrapped around the axle. As your file is reviewed, the reviewer is crosschecking the meds you declared against conditions these meds are prescribed for. So if you said you were taking Medication XXX but didn't say why, then your application won't pass the reviewer's sniff test and you created your own deferral hell.

This is why many of us here advocate the consulting with the AME whenever you are uncertain about when and how to declare something on your medical.

If you want some more direct advice, I would say to 1) pull together your complete medical history as you might declare on the 8500-8 form, then 2) provide that history to Dr. Bruce Chien via his webpage, http://www.aeromedicaldoc.com/how-to-start.html , with the direct question being, "These conditions are in my history. For each one, what items do I need to bring to the AME for my initial medical?"

My experience is that, while there are several items that will result in an immediate denial (or at minimum, a long deferral while additional positive history is developed), most medical conditions are permitted as long as the right documentation is obtained and submitted.

Consulting with good AME's like Dr. Chien can really help to educate you about the process. And greatly increase your chances of success once you are ready to formally submit your information.

Consulting with good AME's like Dr. Chien can really help to educate you about the process. And greatly increase your chances of success once you are ready to formally submit your information.

@CessnaTom this is great advice. Recently had two students consult Dr Chien. One waited too long and did things on his own vs taking my advice to contact Dr Chien first. The other immediately consulted Dr Chien and now is the proud owner of a medical certificate.

Thanks again to @bbchien for his generous assistance.

One of my classmates at my airline didn't start til in his 40s. Originally didn't intend to go airline, but ended up there. You never know where life will take you!

As for just learning to fly, never say never. My first student 38 years ago was 60 and one my recent students is 65.

I was in my forty’s when I got serious about flying .had a good career going for myself ,but did do some charter work ,now I fly for fun.

I hope you have washed them since they were new......:lol::lol:
Once.
yoajv.jpg

I passed my private ride two days after turning 49 and my instrument ride when I was 59. You're never too old to start flying.

Okay, Clearly I'm at home here! I just made it in to work and, what a great way to start the morning with a damn good laugh with great people. I didn't expect to find great advice with a bunch of sarcastic responses. I think i'm going to be a part of this forum for a LONG time. @angiemike88 Thank you for the direction. I emailed Dr. Bruce Chien last night. Very helpful and put my mind to ease slightly more than it was. I'll have to go to a AME and sort things out before I get started. I would honestly love to hear some stories about you guys and your background in flying. Good stories i'm sure.

I'll tell you mine while i'm here. All started when I went on a sky diving trip in Cap May. First time i had ever been in a plane. Jumped out! Second time...a few years later, jumped out of that one too. Third time I flew with a friend who's a maintenance manager at N27. Great time. First time I took controls. Had a blast and he got me into a flight sim where i learned VFR, IFR, VOR and ILS,
radios and other things. Yes I know what you are thinking "Flight sims are video games and are nothing like the real thing. You want the real thing (In a aggressive deep voice ) GET AFTER IT!" But it taught me how to read maps and get virtually familiar with the C172. I have fun. Being around him fueled the flame until i became more interested and decided i wanted to peruse the goal. HE gave me his study books and materials and other great resources. All and all I think I have a lot of great support and help.. Just need to get past the wedding and the house. this year and I'll be set.

Steingar, the guy who started flying when he was way older than you, you stinking ****** kid.

Yep, better to be a pilot where you are seldom home, eat bad food, watch drivel on TV and anesthetize yourself to it all with copious quantities of alcohol.

Back