Too late to start Flying?

Ha. I saw that and was gonna tease ya. ;)
If the two of us ever find ourselves in the same bar at the same time, we gonna be like the two liars who stopped to relieve themselves at the river bridge.

One said, “Man, that water sho is cold.”

The other replied, “Yeah, and it’s deep too!”

If the two of us ever find ourselves in the same bar at the same time, we gonna be like the two liars who stopped to relieve themselves at the river bridge.

One said, “Man, that water sho is cold.”

The other replied, “Yeah, and it’s deep too!”

And probably evolve to a Bama vs Aggie fight, eat, discussion. :)

Not sure what is going on here!!! lol

I'm 34 years old and have had a passion for flying for about 5 years now. Not looking to fly Boeings or anything. Looking to start a career flying smaller aircraft. Is is too late for me to start at my age?
Welcome To POA. One question you have not ask yet. After paying thousands of dollars getting your license, how much money can you make flying smaller aircraft? Got to pay those bills while having fun flying. :)

Welcome To POA. One question you have not ask yet. After paying thousands of dollars getting your license, how much money can you make flying smaller aircraft? Got to pay those bills while having fun flying. :)
And I think there has been mentioned of impending wedding and home purchase.

@CessnaTom ya from Joisey? Saw you mentioned Cape May.
I once knew a guy who moved to Texas from the NE, and everyone always made fun of him by how he said he was from New Joisey.

Finally it was suggested he attend a local TSL class (Texan as a Second Language). A few weeks later, I came across him and asked how the class was helping him.

"It's awesome! I now can say New Jersey poifectly."

Just a friendly rivalry between Ol' Sarge and Big Al and why their football team was named after laundry soap.

Actually the story goes back in the day it rained and rained, and, well here:

Hugh Roberts, former sports editor of the Birmingham Age-Herald, is credited with coining the phrase "Crimson Tide" in an article describing the 1907 Iron Bowl played in Birmingham with Auburn a heavy favorite to win. The game was played in a sea of red mud which stained the Alabama white jerseys crimson.

Leave y'all with this Aggie:

What do you get when you breed a ground hog and an TEXAS A & M football player?

Six more weeks of bad football. :D

What's the best way to make what i'm making now. 50k/yr. Will i need to graduate to a larger aircraft. How to go about doing that?

Actually the story goes back in the day it rained and rained, and, well here:

Hugh Roberts, former sports editor of the Birmingham Age-Herald, is credited with coining the phrase "Crimson Tide" in an article describing the 1907 Iron Bowl played in Birmingham with Auburn a heavy favorite to win. The game was played in a sea of red mud which stained the Alabama white jerseys crimson.

Leave y'all with this Aggie:

What do you get when you breed a ground hog and an TEXAS A & M football player?

Six more weeks of bad football. :D
Haha. Never heard that story.

I'll counter with this news story that appeared in The Batallion (A&M's daily newspaper).

A Cessna 152 plane crashed into a cemetery near Easterwood field early this afternoon.

The Texas Aggie Search and Rescue Squad have found two survivors and recovered 300 bodies so far and expect that number to climb as digging continues into the evening.​

LMFAO! I have a easy sense of humor. It's terrible. Also, I looked into joining CAP (Civil Air Patrol) To get some time around aircraft. and get some flight time at reduced cost. That a good idea?

What's the best way to make what i'm making now. 50k/yr. Will i need to graduate to a larger aircraft. How to go about doing that?
Unfortunately, spend about $40-50k (some variance depending on where you live) for training, supplies, and time building.

Once you obtain your commercial pilot rating, you can start gaining income by flying. But the employers who will take a minimum time pilot are not many.

Once you obtain your CFI rating, you can build time and earn income instructing. And often the flight school who trained you to be a CFI might be willing to interview you for employment. The per hour amount you will earn varies regionally and by the school. And but the amount of hours you work each week/month can vary in a big way depending on weather, number/availability of students, aircraft dispatchability (aka the airplane is in the maintenance shop versus on the line for rental), and more factors. Using a CFI gig to get to 50k annual is possible, but might be a multi-year slog to get there.

Flying for the regional airlines can eventually get you above 50K... emphasis on eventually. You will need a minimum amount of total time (1,500 hours) and a good part of that time will be experience in aircraft other than a single piston engine plane. Plus you will need more training and ratings (such as Multi-engine "regular" and Multi-Engine commercial and turbine). These more advanced aircraft cost more per hour to rent, so the cost to time build goes up quickly.

We have several members who recently have made the journey from zero to airline hero. Hopefully they will provide more detailed information of their journey.

LMFAO! I have a easy sense of humor. It's terrible. Also, I looked into joining CAP (Civil Air Patrol) To get some time around aircraft. and get some flight time at reduced cost. That a good idea?
That can really depend on the squadron. I know @murphey has some CAP experiences and will share. Some others too.

But let's work on setting the right cart and horse order..... My suggestion is to get the medical squared away before you go spending lots of money and/or time on anything where you have to pay for training. Once medical is squared up, that's done and you can proceed. But if medical becomes a showstopper, it's no good to have spent lots of money just to have your "dream balloon" popped for good.

For now, another "no cost" activity is to download these free FAA books and start studying. These two are the basis of the ground school for private pilot, instrument airplane, and commercial pilot. Absorbing the information contained therein will get you a good leg up once medical is dealt with and you're ready to start training.

Airplane Flying Handbook (AFH): https://goo.gl/FNiJqX
Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge (PHAK): https://goo.gl/8n1spg

These are in PDF form that can be downloaded and read on your PC or mobile device. Or printed out if you have some extra dead trees to consume. Bound versions can be found at bookstores, Amazon, and online pilot supply stores.

Wow, Thank you for the help! I'll get the medical handled right away because I have a few concerns. Best to get the bad/good news out of the way!

Build hours by flying for companies that are cheap and pay pilots the least amount of money they can get away with.

The first time I made more than 50K/yr was went I went to Alaska, and I was there a year before I made that. Times are a changing, and it is possible to make 50K/yr in the lower 48 after about a year. Find a company that has people sitting in the right seat, then build the time and go for a left seat job.

Okay. Thank you everyone for the informative and sarcastic responses! Looks like i know where to start!

You have been here 2 days and ya recognize PoA style sarcasm already... there might be hope for ya after all...!!! :lol::lol::lol:

Build hours by flying for companies that are cheap and pay pilots the least amount of money they can get away with.
With this in mind, you and @CessnaTom might enjoy this book...

http://a.co/4iZlfQb

415ayDTZ-UL._SX326_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

You have been here 2 days and ya recognize PoA style sarcasm already... there might be hope for ya after all...!!! :lol::lol::lol:
Add "fogs a mirror" and "listened to the PoA gallery when we suggested Dr. Bruce be involved", and I would say you're right!

I'm 34 years old and have had a passion for flying for about 5 years now. Not looking to fly Boeings or anything. Looking to start a career flying smaller aircraft. Is is too late for me to start at my age?

If you have the money or can borrow it you can go to a school like ATP that has a pipeline to regionals and you can be in the right seat of a regional in 2 years making 50k your first year with the bonuses they offer now. Of course you gotta have a way to survive financially while you're training.

CessnaTom, it appears Mark and I agree your best option is to join the USAF. I’m pretty sure this the closest POA has ever come to a consensus opinion.

Let us know once you’re in.

CessnaTom, it appears Mark and I agree your best option is to join the USAF. I’m pretty sure this the closest POA has ever come to a consensus opinion.

Let us know once you’re in.

Best kept deal is the Air National Guard or AF Reserves.

Thought about heading to ATP. Did my research. but 76k damn...That's quite a bit!

@CessnaTom are you still in the N27 area? I'm getting my training there right now. Solo'd in February 2018, a month before my 51st birthday but I'm not looking for a revenue job.

@CessnaTom are you still in the N27 area? I'm getting my training there right now. Solo'd in February 2018, a month before my 51st birthday but I'm not looking for a revenue job.
Well yes and no, Who is your instructor? Neil?

Thought about heading to ATP. Did my research. but 76k damn...That's quite a bit!
Plus, many Part 141 "puppy mills" will require you to have a First Class medical before you can start your training.

With what you have shared, a third class medical likely won't be difficult to obtain. But a First is more restrictive. So, "Can I qualify for a First Class" needs to be another Dr. Bruce question if you choose to go to a Part 141 school.

-----------------------------------------------

Also, be careful with your choice of Part 141 schools, especially with those who ask for all or most of the money upfront. There are many examples of student's losing all of their training funds when the school would suddenly close, the owners vanish, and the bank accounts emptied.

Looks like they ask about "Have you ever had any intestinal trouble?" I used to have ulseritive colitis. Had my large intestines removed. But everything is fine now and have no issues. have been for years. Only thing is i have to use the bathroom more than the average person. would this disqualify me from flying?
I remember reading an article a few years ago about a couple that loves to fly coast to coast (in all directions). Their airplane has a large fuel capacity, more than they do. Solution - Depends. Just in case. Avoided an extra landing just to use the potty.

I can sympathize - the cherokee has a 5 hr limit, I have a 2.5 hr limit.

No I'm training with Jerry. Was supposed to start with Neil, he cancelled on me twice, then got sick and was going to cancel again but asked Jerry to take me up. Stuck with him. I'm at the airport fairly often, see Neil all the time. New airport manager too... Small world.

Back