Too late to start Flying?

No I'm training with Jerry. Was supposed to start with Neil, he cancelled on me twice, then got sick and was going to cancel again but asked Jerry to take me up. Stuck with him. I'm at the airport fairly often, see Neil all the time. New airport manager too... Small world.
Yeah, Have you met Keith? I'm sure you have. He's the one that got me into flying. I hear the new manager is doing well. There was a HUGE dispute about the managers position. Frankly i thought it was BS but that's another story. I'm glad you are getting your PPL. Neil was going to train me when i was ready. Hope everything is Okay..Small world indeed

Check book(Check) Credit Card, Hate them.

Not sure what is going on here!!! lol
Statistically, once past post #25, there is huge divergence on topics, sorta like random chaos (or is that redundant?) altho the original question still had useful info. But the divergence is much more fun. I used to say I went off on tangents. Now it's taking a hyperlink.

Actually the story goes back in the day it rained and rained, and, well here:

Hugh Roberts, former sports editor of the Birmingham Age-Herald, is credited with coining the phrase "Crimson Tide" in an article describing the 1907 Iron Bowl played in Birmingham with Auburn a heavy favorite to win. The game was played in a sea of red mud which stained the Alabama white jerseys crimson.

Leave y'all with this Aggie:

What do you get when you breed a ground hog and an TEXAS A & M football player?

Six more weeks of bad football. :D

Aggie moved to Oklahoma. Raised the IQ in both states.

Statistically, once past post #25, there is huge divergence on topics, sorta like random chaos (or is that redundant?) altho the original question still had useful info. But the divergence is much more fun. I used to say I went off on tangents. Now it's taking a hyperlink.
It appears to be an off and on kind of thing. 10% maybe even 5% is actually useful information. The other is bullsh***ing around and talking smack. I like it here!

@CessnaTom -- Here is some advice I often dispense on how to fund your Private Pilot's license. Hearing that you hate credit cards is encouraging. So the info below might be of interest to you. And starting to fill your bucket is something you can do today, along with getting the medical sorted and reading the AFH/PHAK

One suggestion I like to make regarding the financials. Following this plan will ensure that lack of funds isn't the reason that keeps you from training. And this plan also works to avoid getting you into any debt.
  • Plan for ~$9000.00, plus or minus for regionality. This can include aircraft rental, supplies, testing fees, books, etc.
  • Do what is necessary to fill up your money bucket to at least 60% to 66% of the total funds required or budgeted.
    • This includes taking on additional hours at work, part time jobs, neighborhood handyperson jobs, mowing dogs, walking lawns, house sitting, etc.
    • Hold a garage sale. You might be able to get as much as 10% of your funding uncluttering your house.
    • Do anything legal that increases your income
  • Once you have 60% to 66% of the money, open the tap at the bottom of your bucket and start training.
  • As you deplete money from the bottom of your bucket, continue to work the extra income jobs to add to the top of the bucket.
  • If you finish with money left over in the bucket, plan for a celebratory flight with your sweetie to a really nice dinner.

after i get my PPL how soon could i get my CFI? and start working as a CFI?

Keith is a great guy! Should still be the manager if you ask me. Hopefully I'll see you at the airport soon!

LMFAO! I have a easy sense of humor. It's terrible. Also, I looked into joining CAP (Civil Air Patrol) To get some time around aircraft. and get some flight time at reduced cost. That a good idea?
Nope. As per CAP rules, you may not work on the entry-level cert (the private) for many reasons. One is that you are not allowed to solo in a CAP airplane because you're not allowed to be in a CAP airplane without a qualified CAP Pilot, and except under special circumstances, all CAP airplanes must be flown with a minimum of 2 members. The second member doesn't have to be a pilot. But....if any of qualified members are CFIs, you could negotiate a few entry level lessons. You'll still have to pay the rent on the 182, but it's usually much cheaper than a commercial flight school.

But once you have your private, you are eligible to work on the instrument if and only if the squadron has members that are FAA qualified as CFII (instrument instructor).

CAP, unfortunately, has developed a bad rep in some places for being a private flight club. My squadron certainly isn't, but it is an Old Boys club. But there's going to be much less of it in the summer, because we're part of the state of colorado firewatch program. The 5 or 6 flying squadrons in the state will be doing a fair amount of monitoring the danger areas.

We're cheap, what can I say?

Keith is a great guy! Should still be the manager if you ask me. Hopefully I'll see you at the airport soon!
There is lies that "BS" I was talking about!! He should be the Manager. He's been there for a long time! He knows everything about that place and does everything for that airport. He's my mothers Fiance. So i talk to him all the time. Great guy. I'm sure ill see you at the airport. Need to get down there more. I'm not sure being up in Williamsport would be worth the cost to drive there for a lesson or not. May take the training up here.

after i get my PPL how soon could i get my CFI? and start working as a CFI?
Here's your first FAA Homework assignment. Download the FARs (legally known as 14 CFR Part 61) from:

https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/retrieveECFR?gp&r=PART&n=14y2.0.1.1.2

Or this link to the entire book and all the other books you'll need:

https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aviation/

and read the requirements for the Private (ASEL) certificate, the Instrument rating, the Commercial certificate, then the Certified Flight Instructor (CFI) rating.

You may want to book mark the FAA site which is everything you ever wanted to know about learning to fly:

https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/

Nope. As per CAP rules, you may not work on the entry-level cert (the private) for many reasons. One is that you are not allowed to solo in a CAP airplane because you're not allowed to be in a CAP airplane without a qualified CAP Pilot, and except under special circumstances, all CAP airplanes must be flown with a minimum of 2 members. The second member doesn't have to be a pilot. But....if any of qualified members are CFIs, you could negotiate a few entry level lessons. You'll still have to pay the rent on the 182, but it's usually much cheaper than a commercial flight school.

But once you have your private, you are eligible to work on the instrument if and only if the squadron has members that are FAA qualified as CFII (instrument instructor).

CAP, unfortunately, has developed a bad rep in some places for being a private flight club. My squadron certainly isn't, but it is an Old Boys club. But there's going to be much less of it in the summer, because we're part of the state of colorado firewatch program. The 5 or 6 flying squadrons in the state will be doing a fair amount of monitoring the danger areas.

We're cheap, what can I say?
Could i volunteer with them to build flight hours after i got my PPL??

Aggie moved to Oklahoma. Raised the IQ in both states.
The Texas Aggie Football team was 2hrs late for the annual Texas Football grudge match played in Austin against t.u.

When they finally showed up, the coach of the T-sips went over to the Aggie coach to find out why they were so late.

"Well, it was like this," said the coach. "As we got to the outskirts of Austin, we needed to put gas in the bus. So we pulled over to this gas station that had a sign saying 'clean restrooms'. So we did."

Could i volunteer with them to build flight hours after i got my PPL??
Lots of hoops to work thru before you can be qualified in one of the 3 pilot positions (Mission, Transport, Orientation). O-Rides are taking the cadets on a scripted orientation ride. And again, you're not allowed to take one of the airplanes alone except under very special circumstances (e.g. taking it back from maintenance). Our squadron bases at one airport but our maintenance shop is somewhere else. So the transport pilot has special privs to be solo.

Every squadron has its own personality, I'd suggest you visit those in your area. Avoid the squadrons with cadets, go only to the senior squadrons - those are the one's that have the airplanes. See what it's like. Talk to the squadron's chief pilot. Decide for yourself. I'm a pilot, I own an airplane, would really like to get qualified for O-Rides, because I fly Young Eagles, but I'm not willing to jump thru the hoops.

The Texas Aggie Football team was 2hrs late for the annual Texas Football grudge match played in Austin against t.u.

When they finally showed up, the coach of the T-sips went over to the Aggie coach to find out why they were so late.

"Well, it was like this," said the coach. "As we got to the outskirts of Austin, we needed to put gas in the bus. So we pulled over to this gas station that had a sign saying 'clean restrooms'. So we did."
Even the national sportscasters still bemoan and complain that there's no more UT-A&M Turkey Day matchup since A&M joined the other conference. Of course most of the SW Conference members are not happy about the Big 12, but money rules.

Disclaimer. I'm a Longhorn, Mike's an Aggie. But Mike stayed in Texas, I escaped.

It's just not that much fun anymore, since the conference changes.

Drugs, alcohol, ADD, not an issue. Don't do drugs. Okay you got me on alcohol, had Bookers last night with a friend. Maybe 1-2 a month. I have flown before and taken a flight lesson for my birthday 2 years ago. Almost died. The screw on the trim wheel shimmed out and got stuck in the nose down position. A mile more and we would not had made the runway. Immediately went in and talked about lessons. Had other things in my life at the time to worry about and didn't start.
You don't drink enough to be a pilot.

Even the national sportscasters still bemoan and complain that there's no more UT-A&M Turkey Day matchup since A&M joined the other conference. Of course most of the SW Conference members are not happy about the Big 12, but money rules.
For sure for sure.... Some of the best football when I was there was between the Aggies and the T-sips.

Then there was the "Hurricane Bowl" of 1988 when the Bama team was a no-show due to Hurricane Gilbert. They cancelled their trip being worried about bad weather on Game Day and unable to return home for class on Monday. Saturday happened with some of the best CAVU football playing weather ever. One of the best "fart off" t-shirts ever was made and sold that week... On the front was "Hurricane Bowl 1998", on the back was an image of a box of Tide over a yellow stain saying something like, "sometimes even 'Tide' won't get rid of a yellow streak"

Speaking of @SixPapaCharlie .... he does have a video about a product to help you pass your medical.

@CessnaTom -- Here is some advice I often dispense on how to fund your Private Pilot's license. Hearing that you hate credit cards is encouraging. So the info below might be of interest to you. And starting to fill your bucket is something you can do today, along with getting the medical sorted and reading the AFH/PHAK

One suggestion I like to make regarding the financials. Following this plan will ensure that lack of funds isn't the reason that keeps you from training. And this plan also works to avoid getting you into any debt.
  • Plan for ~$9000.00, plus or minus for regionality. This can include aircraft rental, supplies, testing fees, books, etc.
  • Do what is necessary to fill up your money bucket to at least 60% to 66% of the total funds required or budgeted.
    • This includes taking on additional hours at work, part time jobs, neighborhood handyperson jobs, mowing dogs, walking lawns, house sitting, etc.
    • Hold a garage sale. You might be able to get as much as 10% of your funding uncluttering your house.
    • Do anything legal that increases your income
  • Once you have 60% to 66% of the money, open the tap at the bottom of your bucket and start training.
  • As you deplete money from the bottom of your bucket, continue to work the extra income jobs to add to the top of the bucket.
  • If you finish with money left over in the bucket, plan for a celebratory flight with your sweetie to a really nice dinner.
This is a good idea! I'll start saving yesterday!

Here's your first FAA Homework assignment. Download the FARs (legally known as 14 CFR Part 61) from:

https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/retrieveECFR?gp&r=PART&n=14y2.0.1.1.2

Or this link to the entire book and all the other books you'll need:

https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aviation/

and read the requirements for the Private (ASEL) certificate, the Instrument rating, the Commercial certificate, then the Certified Flight Instructor (CFI) rating.

You may want to book mark the FAA site which is everything you ever wanted to know about learning to fly:

https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/
I have a few reading materials at home. But ive downloaded this anyway. Not sure if it's the same thing.

I have a few reading materials at home. But ive downloaded this anyway. Not sure if it's the same thing.
For a good mobile device version of the FAR/AIM, look for the app created by ASA (Aviation Supplies & Academics). It's about 10$US in the app stores, weighs significantly less than the paper version, and is automatically updated each time the folks on the Hill or OKC change something.

Part 61 explains in gory detail how to get to the CFI.

Private
Instrument
Commercial
CFI

Listen. investing 20k into this is relitivly low cost for a dream. Get PPL the CFI, CFII and get a job doing that. Work up from there.

Listen. investing 20k into this is relitivly low cost for a dream. Get PPL the CFI, CFII and get a job doing that. Work up from there.
Listen? To what? Any time somebody says listen I know they are talking only for their own benefit and chances are quite good they are the one who should be listening.

Hence the 3 page forum on getting help! and talking myself up for this is something that is going to benefit me

For sure for sure.... Some of the best football when I was there was between the Aggies and the T-sips.

Then there was the "Hurricane Bowl" of 1988 when the Bama team was a no-show due to Hurricane Gilbert. They cancelled their trip being worried about bad weather on Game Day and unable to return home for class on Monday. Saturday happened with some of the best CAVU football playing weather ever. One of the best "fart off" t-shirts ever was made and sold that week... On the front was "Hurricane Bowl 1998", on the back was an image of a box of Tide over a yellow stain saying something like, "sometimes even 'Tide' won't get rid of a yellow streak"

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Get PPL the CFI, CFII
Whoa there pahdner! You skipped two important steps .... Instrument airplane (often referred to as IFR) and Commercial Pilot.

IFR can be about $7500 for the specific training, testing, etc.
Commercial Pilot about $5000 for the specific training, testing, etc.

Not factored in is the time building to get the min experience required before you can sit for the practical exam. That requires airplane rental at $100-125 ish per flight hour.

Whoa there pahdner! You skipped two important steps .... Instrument airplane (often referred to as IFR) and Commercial Pilot.

IFR can be about $7500 for the specific training, testing, etc.
Commercial Pilot about $5000 for the specific training, testing, etc.

Not factored in is the time building to get the min experience required before you can sit for the practical exam. That requires airplane rental at $100-125 ish per flight hour.
crap....

I'll counter with this news story that appeared in The Batallion (A&M's daily newspaper).

A Cessna 152 plane crashed into a cemetery near Easterwood field early this afternoon.

The Texas Aggie Search and Rescue Squad have found two survivors and recovered 300 bodies so far and expect that number to climb as digging continues into the evening.​
Mike, I love the one where the Aggies are marching on Washington in protest. Today they are 100 mile from Seattle!!!

Back