the "not worthy of it's own thread" thread

collegehumor's batman series, although like 10 years old, is some funny freakin stuff right thar. do yourself a favor and look it up on the 'tube.

I'm probably a terrible person for thinking this, but it popped in my head that it's completely possible to make a pressure fryer out of titanium, and make some really good chicken in it. It would work with aluminum, too. But not with carbon fiber...the fry oil would not be compatible with the epoxy. And that's even loading it the right way, in tension...and my background is in electronics and computer systems and I still figured that out. So I'm left sad and a little hungry. Ok, returning the thread back to its original purpose...

Been flying for 50 years but would never have been able to capture this amazing occurrence lurking nearby on my flight today, unseen in the haze, without a flight display.

Attachments

• 20230626_081208.jpg
    20230626_081208.jpg
    446.4 KB · Views: 58
Had to cancel flying this morning. Plane broke. Specially, the seat went full "dental chair" position, flopping front and back. Luckily it was during the pre flight when you rock the seat front and back to make sure it's locked in the rails. Now, I know I should lose some weight, but hey - it wasn't my fault, really LOL.

I'm probably a terrible person for thinking this, but it popped in my head that it's completely possible to make a pressure fryer out of titanium, and make some really good chicken in it. It would work with aluminum, too. But not with carbon fiber...the fry oil would not be compatible with the epoxy. And that's even loading it the right way, in tension...and my background is in electronics and computer systems and I still figured that out. So I'm left sad and a little hungry. Ok, returning the thread back to its original purpose...

What is the Bear callsign? Googled a bit but didn't see anything on it.

If you have Apple and like Hijack movies…if not there’s still (100% accurate like all tv shows and movies) plane stuff and atc stuff…but it’s mostly the usual mix of heroes and heels and villains. Oh, and idiots.

3 episodes by the 4th of July, rest weekly

Signed up for a tour in Duluth next week at Cirrus. They don't allow kids under 16. Asked if they would make an exception for my 13 and 15 year olds that are well behaved. Said they'd get back to me. I doubt they'll get back to me. I guess if we show up and they don't let them on the tour, I'll just let them loose around the airport. :)

Today I bought a $130 chuck for a $100 drill press. I'm not sad about that, but the phrase "lipstick on a pig" keeps popping into my mind.
When I bought my first table saw it was a $75 Builders Square Chinese made junky 10" bench top. I also bought a $35 (at the time, probably around 1990) carbide blade. I did a ton of projects with that combo and eventually built a stand for it. I was still using it in 2016 when my wife bought me a Bosch replacement. I gave it to my son who used it a for a year or so until I bought him a Home depot version (that had safety gear on it). It was a pain to set up, but it cut great with a good blade on it. So, I get your feeling but I commend your judgement.

What did we ever do to Canada to deserve this? I canceled another practice session today (VFR Com maneuvers) because you couldn’t see the horizon. Heck, the airport was even “no overcast / sky clear” but still marginal VFR because of the Canadian Haze.

Side Note: “Canadian Haze” would be a great name for a rock band.

Have people forgotten the reduced in-flight visibilities following the eruption of Mt St Helens?

I debated shooting some approaches as I have not experienced 1 mile viz with no ceiling but opted to avoid what was likely to be a pack of cigarettes in one hour.

Have people forgotten the reduced in-flight visibilities following the eruption of Mt St Helens?

I was too young to fly then. But I do remember that it absolutely, positively ended any discussion of the dangers of "nuclear winter". And I remember that many scientists of the time were absolutely stunned at the amount of energy and debris released by that thing. If I have it right, a scientist on an adjacent mountain several miles away was killed by the blast.

Yep - sad story.

David Alexander Johnston (December 18, 1949 – May 18, 1980) was an American United States Geological Survey (USGS) volcanologist who was killed by the 1980 eruption of Mount St. Helens in the U.S. state of Washington. A principal scientist on the USGS monitoring team, Johnston was killed in the eruption while manning an observation post six miles (10 km) away on the morning of May 18, 1980. He was the first to report the eruption, transmitting "Vancouver! Vancouver! This is it!" before he was swept away by a lateral blast; despite a thorough search, Johnston's body was never found, but state highway workers discovered remnants of his USGS trailer in 1993.[1]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_A._Johnston

Yep - sad story.

David Alexander Johnston (December 18, 1949 – May 18, 1980) was an American United States Geological Survey (USGS) volcanologist who was killed by the 1980 eruption of Mount St. Helens in the U.S. state of Washington. A principal scientist on the USGS monitoring team, Johnston was killed in the eruption while manning an observation post six miles (10 km) away on the morning of May 18, 1980. He was the first to report the eruption, transmitting "Vancouver! Vancouver! This is it!" before he was swept away by a lateral blast; despite a thorough search, Johnston's body was never found, but state highway workers discovered remnants of his USGS trailer in 1993.[1]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_A._Johnston
Here’s another guy who died. Not really all that sad though. He did it his way.

I bought a battery-powered weed trimmer.

It came with a pair of safety glass. nice touch.

What struck me as odd was that the safety glasses had a clear plastic protective coating (like saranwrap).

Safety glasses, with a protective coating.

um...

Holy cr@p I cringe every time I hear that stupid song in their commercial.

I had to look up the commercial. It gave me my first case of homesickness ever...

My favorite Blue Bell was Double Fudge.... let it melt half way, then refreeze it. Pure heaven.!!

Even jets have to circle to climb over terrain.

View attachment 118626
That would be about traffic, not terrain. Like the conga lines going into SFO and OAK. Probably doing the LOUPE FIVE DEPARTURE. Look at the Approaches going int the 28's at SFO. You'll get a clue about why the Top Altitude is 5000.

Last edited:
We're still without power. Generator has been running about 55 hours. Ameren estimated they'll have us back on by 8pm. We shall see.

Spent most of the day cleaning up a giant crabapple that went down at the old house. Little tractor/ grapple were worth EVERY penny I spent on them.

IMG_20230701_111457792_HDR.jpg

We're still without power. Generator has been running about 55 hours. Ameren estimated they'll have us back on by 8pm. We shall see.

Spent most of the day cleaning up a giant crabapple that went down at the old house. Little tractor/ grapple were worth EVERY penny I spent on them.

View attachment 118627
What happened? Tornado or something.

Holy cr@p I cringe every time I hear that stupid song in their commercial.

I cringe every time I see an image of a young child with a swimming pool in the background. I hope the parents have taught the child to swim or at least given it "drown-proofing" training.

Back