the "not worthy of it's own thread" thread

I filtered out any state/region/territory that wasn't CONUS (contiguous US). If you're curious about the Pacific islands, I can probably scrape that data pretty easily.
I was asking out of curiosity. Since it is excluded, it’d be interesting how it compares.

I was asking out of curiosity. Since it is excluded, it’d be interesting how it compares.
It's pretty easy to do.

CONUS:
  • Airports with procedures: 2953 (128 military)
  • Airports with VOR: 1023
  • Approaches with VOR OR GPS: 39
  • Airports with NDB (excluding OR GPS): 192
  • Airports with ILS: 852
Outside of CONUS, there are no airports with a NDB IAP that you couldn't otherwise get in with GPS. Same goes for ILS without GPS.

CONUS+AK:
  • Airports with procedures: 3112 (141 military)
  • Airports with VOR: 1054
  • Airports with NDB (excluding OR GPS): 214
  • Airports with ILS: 874
CONUS+AK+HI+PAC:
  • Airports with procedures: 3143 (141 military)
  • Airports with VOR: 1070
  • Approaches with VOR OR GPS: 40
  • Airports with NDB (excluding OR GPS): 229
  • Airports with ILS: 886

It's pretty easy to do.

CONUS:
  • Airports with procedures: 2953 (128 military)
  • Airports with VOR: 1023
  • Airports with NDB (excluding OR GPS): 192
  • Airports with ILS: 852
Outside of CONUS, there are no airports with a NDB IAP that you couldn't otherwise get in with GPS. Same goes for ILS without GPS.

CONUS+AK:
  • Airports with procedures: 3112 (141 military)
  • Airports with VOR: 1054
  • Airports with NDB (excluding OR GPS): 214
  • Airports with ILS: 874
CONUS+AK+HI+PAC:
  • Airports with procedures: 3143 (141 military)
  • Airports with VOR: 1070
  • Approaches with VOR OR GPS: 40
  • Airports with NDB (excluding OR GPS): 229
  • Airports with ILS: 886
So only 159 in AK? And only 31 combined in HI & PAC?

All these number seem relatively low.

How about a yearly based comparison database showing the change over the last few decades? I wonder how many approaches we have lost?

All these number seem relatively low.
Let me know if you'd like me to name names within a (hopefully not large) category.
How about a yearly based comparison database showing the change over the last few decades? I wonder how many approaches we have lost?
OK, ping me in a year and I'll repost here. :)
I don't think the FAA has historical d-TPP's.

That's weird. The 4th paragraph says 1550 ILS but the graph shows ~1050. Typo?
You'd have to ask Fred. Their numbers don't quite jive with yours either. Maybe just a sloppily drawn chart? The chart and article are interesting though. The proliferation of RNAV approaches has really changed the game. Lots of airports that previously had no or maybe one circling approach now have straight-ins to each runway.

Their numbers don't quite jive with yours either.
That one might be explained away because of the way we count. I count airports while he seems to count approaches. If there's an airport with several runways and several LPV's, I'll tally 1 while I think he's counting several.

Edit: I also don't count RNP AR since us pokey piston planes can't fly those.

Last edited:
Are Honda Ridgelines any good?
Thinking about getting a different truck, I don't haul much in my F150 anyway. If going to haul or tow a large load I take the company F350.

B1's were doing pattern work at Ellsworth this evening. Didn't get a video though, so not worthy of its own thread.

Two of them. In formation.

I'm moving to South Dakota.

Used to work for/with a guy that wouldn't use an idea from anyone regardless of how good it was. Once we learned how to make him discover the idea as if it were his own we got a number of things done. Yeah, he got to steal some thunder but sometimes you do what you have to do to get to the endzone.
I used to work for a guy that we likened to an unguided rocket. Left alone he would light the world on fire and ruin everyone's day, but point him in the right direction and he'd move mountains out of your way.

I'm a flat lander. I saw CU OMTNS in the KFAT metar today and apparently it means cumulus clouds over the mountains. Is that significant for turbulence? Obscuration? Or something else? Why do I care about CU over the mountains?

I spent a good part of yesterday sitting in court watching my friends trial, and also speaking as a character witness for him.
He was found not guilty, but the injustice system really needs a major overhaul. Those who should be in prison often seem to be free, and the ones who should be free are in prison.

What should be innocent until proven guilty, is really guilty until proven innocent, unless you are rich, or have a union backing you.

Last edited:
Congrats on your friend's not guilty outcome. Allowed to say what the charges were?

Technically speaking he did beat the guy up, but there was extenuating circumstances. He was defending his mother, who had been assaulted by the guy he beat up. But then he pressed charges against my friend.

Wow Did the mom press charges against the guy?

Technically speaking he did beat the guy up, but there was extenuating circumstances. ....

"extenuating"... yeah, I think that would qualify as "extenuating".

I wonder if the "victim" was harassed during his jail time...if you know what I mean.

"extenuating"... yeah, I think that would qualify as "extenuating".

I wonder if the "victim" was harassed during his jail time...if you know what I mean.

Hopefully.

Since he tried stealing a 71 year old woman's purse, and when she hung onto it tight, he punched her 6 times, before her son started throwing punches.

I'm a flat lander. I saw CU OMTNS in the KFAT metar today and apparently it means cumulus clouds over the mountains. Is that significant for turbulence? Obscuration? Or something else? Why do I care about CU over the mountains?
"Here be dragons..."

I’ve recently taken up (again) smoking an occasional pipe. I like it. I’ve smoked a pipe before, my Dad and my uncle both did for decades. It never really occurred to me to keep any of Dad’s pipes, but now I wish I had… especially the massive hand carved briar eagle.

52 weeks ago today I earned my instrument rating. Since then I've flown 175 hours with 13.6 of those in the clouds. I've maintained currency mostly by flying in actual but had to supplement with hood work over the winter.

Finally got our straight tail 172 done today. Added a Garmin 430, a glideslope indicator, and a PS engineering audio panel. Also added red post lights for every instrument so I can see at night now. Can't say enough good things about the audio panel, that thing sounds amazing. Before and after pics.

Attachments

• 20211217_121015.jpg
    20211217_121015.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 31
  • 20220618_132806.jpg
    20220618_132806.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 30
I went and got current in the twin today. Now I’m current in everything except AMEL night and gettin’ paid (I haven’t renewed my second-class medical lately). I also got some “cheap” gas before coming home. And now I am googling how to trap a robin since a fledgling decided to sneak into the hangar while I had it open and doesn’t seem interested in leaving, even when harassed by a drone, wolf-imitating dog, and cell phones playing hawk sounds.

I own the hangar and the planes in it. So the most I would use inside is a .22 shotshell. But that's the last resort and I am going to try some other ideas first. Probably all of which will lead to more birds and maybe a rabbit inside, but I got the idea from an old lady who swallowed a fly.

I went and got current in the twin today. Now I’m current in everything except AMEL night and gettin’ paid (I haven’t renewed my second-class medical lately). I also got some “cheap” gas before coming home. And now I am googling how to trap a robin since a fledgling decided to sneak into the hangar while I had it open and doesn’t seem interested in leaving, even when harassed by a drone, wolf-imitating dog, and cell phones playing hawk sounds.

Set up a mist net ...

Do you have video of the drone attack?

Well, it happened again. After a somewhat turbulent approach into short final, right deep in the flare my (1st time GA) pax says, “wow, nice landing”. To which I respond, “wheels aren’t quite on the ground yet”... :rolleyes: IYKYK (@masloki @Jim K)

Whatever you do, make sure to watch that Hitchcock movie the night before you carry out the plan.

Back