the "not worthy of it's own thread" thread

I'm going flying tomorrow. I'm looking forward to it. I love flying.

I went today. Neighbor wanted to take an airplane ride. He just had a birthday and I told him that was his gift from me. Hasn't flown since he was a child (he's 51 now). He seemed to really enjoy it but was clear that he didn't want no steep turns. Well his definition of a steep turn was about 15º so I honored his wishes and kept the flight very gentle.:)

What is this flying thing you people speak of?

It's gravity-defying whimsical magic usually practiced by those with a license for the craft. Some see it as a mundane mode of transportation with few joys. Others see it as pure joy, and yet they go nowhere in particular. In either case, a lot of money is spent which funds a great economic engine.

I found out today that the avgas pump at Paris, IL pre-authorizes your card for $400, and shuts the pump off when you hit it...:confused:

Went to Stewart last week, someone just an hour ago asked me why. I said well for lunch. They told me that was silly.
Then 2 minutes later asked if I go do it again, can they come along.
Take them. Then when the bill comes say, oh silly me, I forgot my purse.

Egads... how old are you?!
Still weeks away from turning 70.

Started walking a lot last fall (3-10 miles a day) and my fat ass(and gut) puts a lot of load on the feet - Plantar fasciitis - fun fun fun. It's not a problem now, and I do what I can to make sure it doesn't become a problem again...

Still weeks away from turning 70.

Started walking a lot last fall (3-10 miles a day) and my fat ass(and gut) puts a lot of load on the feet - Plantar fasciitis - fun fun fun. It's not a problem now, and I do what I can to make sure it doesn't become a problem again...

Walking is the best thing for you. I got my parents walking a bunch a couple years ago and they lost weight and were feeling/ moving better. Then they stopped. Frustrating.

When you are a pilot, you see planes everywhere.

View attachment 107620
Clearly a B17

We had a guy at work who I'd agree with, once in a while, just because I knew that doing so meant he'd question his entire plan. It was kinda funny, and a little bit mean, but he entirely deserved it.

We had a guy at work who I'd agree with, once in a while, just because I knew that doing so meant he'd question his entire plan. It was kinda funny, and a little bit mean, but he entirely deserved it.

Used to work for/with a guy that wouldn't use an idea from anyone regardless of how good it was. Once we learned how to make him discover the idea as if it were his own we got a number of things done. Yeah, he got to steal some thunder but sometimes you do what you have to do to get to the endzone.

a while back I worked a project where, when we traveled, we agreed not to discuss work at dinner. Well, the group leader didn't quite get the memo. Fortunately, we quickly discovered topics (e.g., wine) to bring up at dinner that would completely distract him from any work discussion.

I think after a certain number of likes you get a free toaster oven. Or maybe a glass with a tiger on it.

They should pony up one of them hot new POA shirts ... hopefully the newer style with a pocket.:D

Last edited:
This forum awards points to us the users for certain things.

But from what I can tell the points have 0 use, so why bother.

Maybe the point system is a default feature and modifying it would require work on the part of the volunteer admins?

Fuel just went over $9 here, and club had to raise rates. Our basic 172 is $145, our 182 is now $195. The complex I need to use for part of com training is $205. Ouch

Stumbled upon one of my old COVID projects, which was to data-mine the d-TPP. As of the 2206 cycle, in the CONUS there are:

2953 airports with instrument approach procedures (128 military).
1023 airports with a VOR IAP
39 with "VOR OR GPS"
192 with a non-overlaid NDB IAP (i.e. excluding those with "...OR GPS")
1 airport with an NDB IAP and no RNAV approaches: KPHH
852 airports with an ILS
3 airports with an ILS but no GPS approaches (excluding AR and military): KEAT, KMCC and KVNY

Stumbled upon one of my old COVID projects, which was to data-mine the d-TPP. As of the 2206 cycle, in the CONUS there are:

2953 airports with instrument approach procedures (128 military).
1023 airports with a VOR IAP
39 with "VOR OR GPS"
192 with a non-overlaid NDB IAP (i.e. excluding those with "...OR GPS")
1 airport with an NDB IAP and no RNAV approaches: KPHH
852 airports with an ILS
3 airports with an ILS but no GPS approaches (excluding AR and military): KEAT, KMCC and KVNY
Does that include our Pacific airports e.g PHNL?

Does that include our Pacific airports e.g PHNL?
I filtered out any state/region/territory that wasn't CONUS (contiguous US). If you're curious about the Pacific islands, I can probably scrape that data pretty easily.

Back