the "not worthy of it's own thread" thread

The reason it takes so long to sail around the southern ocean south of the "Great Capes" like the old clipper ships or so many "around the world" sailboat races is that you are going around the far outside of the disk which is almost twice as long as just going around the equator. The strange thing, is that so many people have done it and never happened to notice how much further they had to sail.

Sanity check please.

I've had a couple back and forth messages with ForeFlight support regarding how PIREPs are displaying on the map -- starting ~last product update.
The badge/alert on the map says "004", which would normally indicate 400 feet. But the data behind it will show an entirely different altitude, in this case 33000 ft. I'm seeing this with about 10% of PIREPs on my iPad or desktop map.

They're saying the display of "004" is the intended value but they'll let their product designers know it's not intuitive.

My question.. they can't possibly be right... right? What the hell would 004 even mean for this PIREP?

They've affirmed it 2x with a human written message, not an automated one, and I am baffled.

1712686586929.png

Sanity check please.

I've had a couple back and forth messages with ForeFlight support regarding how PIREPs are displaying on the map -- starting ~last product update.
The badge/alert on the map says "004", which would normally indicate 400 feet. But the data behind it will show an entirely different altitude, in this case 33000 ft. I'm seeing this with about 10% of PIREPs on my iPad or desktop map.

They're saying the display of "004" is the intended value but they'll let their product designers know it's not intuitive.

My question.. they can't possibly be right... right? What the hell would 004 even mean for this PIREP?

They've affirmed it 2x with a human written message, not an automated one, and I am baffled.

View attachment 127651
Define human.

with ham, spicy mustard and lettuce on white? Sounds like lunch, but the closest I have is Swiss.

Ok, a little late with this but it will still work.

Brain teaser.

Today, 13 April 2024, I am 64 years, 365 days old and today is not my birthday. How is that possible.??

Ok, a little late with this but it will still work.

Brain teaser.

Today, 13 April 2024, I am 64 years, 365 days old and today is not my birthday. How is that possible.??
This year is a leap year, so your birthday would be on the 366th day (i.e. tomorrow).

I was going to guess you were born on a planet that orbits either faster or slower than earth...

and then we can, ahem, discuss, do you start counting at 0 or 1?

YouTube thinks I want to watch Norm Macdonald videos. So I've gone down the rabbit hole when he got fired from Saturday Night Live and now I think I like him. He was very genuine during an interview with David Letterman.

David Letterman was pumping him to throw NBC under the bus and leave for CBS. It made me think that Dave was looking for someone to identify with his own departure from NBC to CBS.

YouTube thinks I want to watch Norm Macdonald videos. So I've gone down the rabbit hole when he got fired from Saturday Night Live and now I think I like him. He was very genuine during an interview with David Letterman.

David Letterman was pumping him to throw NBC under the bus and leave for CBS. It made me think that Dave was looking for someone to identify with his own departure from NBC to CBS.

Ok, I just saw the youtube clip where Norm does stand up on David's show "for the last time." His ending bit (before the break) was very touching.

Norm was one of the all time greatest comedians evarrrr

Norm's hilarious SNL monologue when he returned to the show after getting fired

Two best days. After 13 years of ownership, we sold our 21’ bowrider Saturday. We used to love going out on the lake when the girl was younger, but last year we went out twice and only once in 2022. Not good for vehicles to sit, time for it to move on to someone who will love it and use it!

We have another big decision to chew on this summer and act on next spring.

Two best days. After 13 years of ownership, we sold our 21’ bowrider Saturday. We used to love going out on the lake when the girl was younger, but last year we went out twice and only once in 2022. Not good for vehicles to sit, time for it to move on to someone who will love it and use it!

We have another big decision to chew on this summer and act on next spring.
I'm pondering selling our 21' bowrider as well. My dad bought it when I was around 10yrs old, and gave it to me about 12 years ago. We took it out once last year and maybe 2 times the year prior. Our issue is that my FIL already owns a 25' tritoon and has two lakefront houses with docks. It doesn't make a ton of sense for me to drag my boat 45 minutes to the lake when there's already a boat there at the dock that does the same thing. I don't like pontoons/tritoons for the poor handling aspects, but for dragging my kids around on a tube it doesn't make much difference. Probably get mine (351w v8, 1976 model) cleaned up and see if I can get $5-$6K out of it from someone who will use it. I'd probably upgrade to a 26'-27' Cobalt when we get another one, since the lakes we frequent can get rough with a 20'-21' boat on the weekends.

I miss our boat for poking around the ocean when its calm and all the rivers and inlets around coastal NH, but I don't miss working on it.

i-DbbpKkn-L.jpg

i-bBSwN6B-L.jpg

I also discovered that I suck as a saltwater fisherman.

i-tJZgX64-L.jpg

I miss our boat for poking around the ocean when its calm and all the rivers and inlets around coastal NH, but I don't miss working on it.

i-DbbpKkn-L.jpg

i-bBSwN6B-L.jpg

I also discovered that I suck as a saltwater fisherman.

i-tJZgX64-L.jpg

It was still a good looking boat, but time to move on.

1713369736372.jpeg
1713369760945.jpeg

United sucks. Show up 2 hours before my flight. ONE agent checking bags for approximately 200 people. Finally get checked then missed the flight by 10 minutes. Now rescheduled through Denver. Flight is delayed and my connecting flight begins boarding 4 minutes before I land. My only hope is that my next flight is delayed too.

United makes American look good

United sucks. Show up 2 hours before my flight. ONE agent checking bags for approximately 200 people. Finally get checked then missed the flight by 10 minutes. Now rescheduled through Denver. Flight is delayed and my connecting flight begins boarding 4 minutes before I land. My only hope is that my next flight is delayed too.

United makes American look good
Q: What does a United check-in agent say to a passenger with a black eye, no suitcase, and a dead dog?
A: Thank you for being a MileagePlus member!

Meanwhile, Mr. Zevon would be glad to help you plan for the weeks that you are about to spend in Denver...

FYI: If anyone is planning on driving I-40 through New Mexico this week might want to plan another route.

Due to a train wreck about 6 miles west of the Arizona/New Mexico state line has closed both directions of I-40.

As soon as the NTSB gets here and completes their investigation then I-40 might reopen sometime next week.

The standard of communication from most of the airplanes in that audio talking to tower leaves a lot to be desired.

FYI: If anyone is planning on driving I-40 through New Mexico this week might want to plan another route.

Due to a train wreck about 6 miles west of the Arizona/New Mexico state line has closed both directions of I-40.

As soon as the NTSB gets here and completes their investigation then I-40 might reopen sometime next week.

It even has it's own TFR TFR Info

New theory... If you've caused a TFR to happen, you've done something you're going to regret. Examples: Caused a forest fire or huge accident. Been involved in a high speed chase. Successfully ran for office or invited one to your house. Took a job at Disney. Volunteered to help at an airshow.

Bad case of Carpenter Bees around here the area this spring; lots of neighbors have them as well. I've been stuffing their holes with steel wool, and also the pest control variety of foam insulation / Great Stuff. Not sure if the foam insulation is making the bees move somewhere else, or if I'm just making their homes more insulated and appealing.

(Just for clarification, "holes" refer to their nest holes.)

Bad case of Carpenter Bees around here the area this spring; lots of neighbors have them as well. I've been stuffing their holes with steel wool, and also the pest control variety of foam insulation / Great Stuff. Not sure if the foam insulation is making the bees move somewhere else, or if I'm just making their homes more insulated and appealing.

unlike this clip from "Get Smart", eh?

Lots of tornados this past weekend from a pretty wicked line of storms from TX all the way through IL. NWS in Norman, OK did a pretty bang-up job on forecasting the outbreak a few days in advance, so very low loss of life compared to the damage done. This storm coming just on the heels of the one that tore through Omaha and did quite a bit of damage to Eppley Airfield.

1714405275947.png

Last edited:

We had them bad a few weeks ago as well. If you cover up the holes to their nests, they'll probably just drill into somewhere else and connect the old nest to the new hole. I convinced the rental company a few weeks back to let us paint the porch so I didn't have to play "Whack-a-Bee" with the holes they were drilling all over the porch and I haven't had any more attempts to build nest holes and only one visit by the bees (a day after we painted). Apparently, the paint convinced them there was better real estate to be had and they moved on.

Back