the "not worthy of it's own thread" thread

I found that dealing with their parents was much worse.
Amen brother. My wife is a special ed teacher. 9 / 10 parents are great. But the few can be a pain. Sue the district, get personal teachers, different lesson plans. Things that don’t help the kids at all but make the parents feel less guilty about something.

Or inability to see their kid as a great kid, kind, cheerful, a joy to be around. The world is a better place with that kid in it. Will have a great life - but won’t ever be able to speak, do math, drive a car, go to college, etc.

I found that dealing with their parents was much worse.
No doubt there. The stories I hear from my teacher friends, both in OK and TX, would make your head spin! There's not a chance that I could have gotten away with 99% of what kids/parents get away with now, my parents wouldn't have allowed it. That's what happens when schools are so afraid of lawsuits that they remove all authority from the teaching staff.

I realized something yesterday.
Even though I'm comfortable in cross-winds, I have a strong preference for a cross-wind coming from the left.
I don't know why exactly, it just feels like I have more precise control and I'm more at ease during final and touch-down.

Anyone else have a preference?

Even though I'm comfortable in cross-winds, I have a strong preference for a cross-wind coming from the left.
I don't know why exactly, it just feels like I have more precise control and I'm more at ease during final and touch-down.

I used to prefer left crosswinds in the Archer. In the Skycatcher, they're both difficult!

Your left arm prefers pulling versus pushing? Right leg more dextrous?

I also prefer left.

Front (unless at cruise in which case, tail)

Wonder if high wing/ low wing is a variable in the crossswind preference?

Spring time in Atl. Also known as the pine tree yellow pollen dust bowl. It covers everything! It’s so bad you have to pressure wash over and over. Left my car window down by accident for a few hours yesterday afternoon. Inside was coated with a fine yellow powder. Line at the car wash was long again today!

Also left

Did you fly into Clow today about 345/4pm?

Also left

Nope, but thanks for asking.:cool:

Also, no preference on crosswind. Just fly the plane to the tie-down/hangar.

Also left

Negative.
Coincidentally, I was around Clow at that time but about 4mi NE, not on CTAF, but headed to DuPage and helping tower figure out a rogue ELT.

Spring time in Atl. Also known as the pine tree yellow pollen dust bowl. It covers everything! It’s so bad you have to pressure wash over and over. Left my car window down by accident for a few hours yesterday afternoon. Inside was coated with a fine yellow powder. Line at the car wash was long again today!
Went last week to get the plane out of the hermetically sealed (OK not quite) hangar and low & behold ... it had a yellow haze on it!

Went last week to get the plane out of the hermetically sealed (OK not quite) hangar and low & behold ... it had a yellow haze on it!
Add just a little rain to that pollen, let it dry and you've got yellow concrete. Hate to think what that stuff does inside of a Pitot tube.

not that I recall - I haven't paid any attention.

Negative.
Coincidentally, I was around Clow at that time but about 4mi NE, not on CTAF, but headed to DuPage and helping tower figure out a rogue ELT.
Yeah I thought I heard you. I was monitoring approach and they said something like cleared direct Clow. I was going to shout out but then I didn’t.

I wonder if the crosswind preference is affected by whether you're a "slip" type or a "crab and kick" type. From the left seat, a left crosswind gives you a little better visibility of the ground with a slip, but worse with a crab.

Incidentally, when I used to ride motorcycles, I always felt more comfortable in a left turn than a right. Similarly, there were discussions on the motorcycle forums about this. Perhaps something to do with the throttle being in your right hand.

I have a strong preference for a cross-wind coming from the left.

Here where I am at, the wind favors runway 24, and the wind is usually from 180 to 240, so a left cross wind is to be expected.

Sometimes I would land on 06 just to get a different feel.

I wonder if the crosswind preference is affected by whether you're a "slip" type or a "crab and kick" type. From the left seat, a left crosswind gives you a little better visibility of the ground with a slip, but worse with a crab.

Incidentally, when I used to ride motorcycles, I always felt more comfortable in a left turn than a right. Similarly, there were discussions on the motorcycle forums about this. Perhaps something to do with the throttle being in your right hand.
That's a really good point on crab+kick versus slip that I hadn't considered.

For the first ~250h I used to kick in the rudder at the last couple seconds before touchdown but I gave that up in the last 300-400h and switched to slipping. As I ramped up the difficulty and took on more challenging XWs I wanted to be more stabilized going into the landing and rely less on punching just the right about of rudder in the last few seconds. Misjudging the x-wind and sideloading the gear is uncomfortable enough in a rental trainer plane, but it feels downright awful doing it to your own plane. EDIT: And I definitely have more consistency using the slip.

In the crab/kick approach I don't recall really having a preference, but now I definitely have a preference using the slip.

If I had to guess, I think it might have to do with being in the left seat? Maybe I feel like I can better gauge how much I'm dipping the wing against the wind? And as I think about it -- I have the same preference for steep turns. I prefer left steep turns. Right always makes me a touch more uncomfortable and feels steeper even though it isn't.

That's a really good point on crab+kick versus slip that I hadn't considered.

For the first ~250h I used to kick in the rudder at the last couple seconds before touchdown but I gave that up in the last 300-400h and switched to slipping. As I ramped up the difficulty and took on more challenging XWs I wanted to be more stabilized going into the landing and rely less on punching just the right about of rudder in the last few seconds. Misjudging the x-wind and sideloading the gear is uncomfortable enough in a rental trainer plane, but it feels downright awful doing it to your own plane. EDIT: And I definitely have more consistency using the slip.

In the crab/kick approach I don't recall really having a preference, but now I definitely have a preference using the slip.

If I had to guess, I think it might have to do with being in the left seat? Maybe I feel like I can better gauge how much I'm dipping the wing against the wind? And as I think about it -- I have the same preference for steep turns. I prefer left steep turns. Right always makes me a touch more uncomfortable and feels steeper even though it isn't.
Ha...I can barely time the flare right, let alone try to kick the rudder and straighten the plane out at the same time. I don't think I have a preference for crosswind, but I do prefer a left pattern over a right.

My preference usually it has to do with additional turbulence. Where are the trees / hangars / buildings / mountains , to the left or to the right?

Crab then Kick. Left Pattern.

Crab after turning final and kick 1/2 mile from the threshold.

Half the time when I want to order groceries, I ask "is it time to do an instragram order?", but not on purpose.

So I think, subconsciously, I want a Labrador retriever to bring me groceries. And really, who wouldn't want that?

The other day I was at the airport - saw a hangar open with a pretty Cessna 180 in it. I should have stopped by and said hi.

Been thinking about 180s lately...

Ha...I can barely time the flare right, let alone try to kick the rudder and straighten the plane out at the same time. I don't think I have a preference for crosswind, but I do prefer a left pattern over a right.
Did my night landings at a delta I had only landed at once prior during the day. Tower had me right pattern. Boogered up the downwind to base turn every time.

I might be weird but how can you say you are more stable if you fly the entire final with cross controls?

While eating dinner at the bar last night I noticed the usual sign many places have: "tabs left open at the end of the night will automatically be charged an 18% gratuity"
And I thought.. hmm... that 18% used to be a penalty... Now that seems like a bargain when most places are expecting at least 20%. Maybe I'll cash out tomorrow and save myself a couple percent :)

I Just found out, the new guy at work is a flat earth guy! Can’t wait for the conversations this will bring!

Well it’s not like that came up in the interview. Lol. Other than that he’s a pretty normal guy. He’s decent at his job so far. I honestly thought he was joking but he’s definitely not.
What does that say about a business that would employ him?

If the earth is flat, where is the east pole.??
I don’t know how much you have read about the subject but they believe the earth is a disk and Antarctica is basically a wall of ice around the outer edge of the disk. They have explanations for most things, but they quickly fall apart when you get past 3rd grade science.

I don’t know how much you have read about the subject but they believe the earth is a disk and Antarctica is basically a wall of ice around the outer edge of the disk. They have explanations for most things, but they quickly fall apart when you get past 3rd grade science.

Argue that the Antarctic is the center and the arctic is the ice wall. I just want see fireworks...

Back