the "not worthy of it's own thread" thread

I tried early retirement once. I got bored and went back to work 3 months later.
Which is a good indicator that you weren't really ready for retirement.... and/or didn't properly prepare to remain active doing interesting things.
Both statements further justify the #1 one thing I was told before retiring early: be sure you are retiring TO something and not retiring FROM something. That and the fact I would have zero free time once retired have rung true in the last 8 years.

I retired last year at 62. Early? I suppose so. So far I've finished up my CP-ME, relaid dance studio floors (my daughter is studio director), helped rebuild a 1980's vintage house for friends, built a coupld of very large charcuterie boards from raw wood, taken a vacation for Glacier NP last year, one to Yellowstone this year, am relearning photography with digital cameras and playing bass (and improving my playing dramatically) for the church worship band. I've got multiple projects stacked up that I haven't gotten done yet including finishing furniture that will be a room divider in our MIL suite, replacing the countertops in the MIL suite and building a storage table with slide out for the MIL suite kitchen.

I didn't have a particular plan, but I've definitely not thought about going back to work, though I have been asked.

With my family's medical history I will be lucky to make it to 70. But at least that means not working to 102 ;)

you might be surprised. A friend's family medical history had all his male relatives dying before age 60. He is now, I think, in his 70's and a cancer survivor on top of that.

Ok, now we all hate you... :lol::lol:

I am 63 and retirement is just not in the future for me.
I’m 61, and trying to figure out if I can actually retire now or not consumes too much of my non working time. I don’t hate my job, but I hate the growing pile of stuff I just don’t have the time to do. If I were to retire now, I’d be busy for years and years.

Early retirement seems to be worthy of its own thread. I think I'll hit my number in the next year or two, but I have no plans to stop working. Mainly because deep down I enjoy it, and the way inflation is working I'm no longer as certain my number is big enough. Also, I'd like for my kids to have the opportunity to be involved in the farm if they desire. It's almost impossible to start farming from scratch. Plus figure that if I work another 15 years I might be able to afford to fly a kerosene burner in retirement. We all have to dream, right?

The way this business is though, I could be out of business tomorrow if a couple of my landlords pass and their kids decide to sell the land. There's a lot of peace of mind in knowing if that happens we'd be okay financially. At this point I'd definitely pursue a flying job, which is what I'd probably do even if I didn't need the money.

but I hate the growing pile of stuff I just don’t have the time to do. If I were to retire now, I’d be busy for years and years.
A word of caution: the "To Do Lists" you make before you retire tend to get trashed and new lists are made. Once everyday becomes Saturday priorites tend to change and those "piles" can take on a different meaning.

A word of caution: the "To Do Lists" you make before you retire tend to get trashed and new lists are made. Once everyday becomes Saturday priorites tend to change and those "piles" can take on a different meaning.
I'm aware that my post-retirement management of some of these projects may involve a dumpster or a for-sale ad, but I have no doubt they will be replaced with other things to do or places to go. I stopped working primarily for the joy of working a couple of years ago. The new company has brought back some of it, but not enough to keep me from wishing I were doing something else a good share of the time.

Hoping to punch out at 63 in two years. The tanking market has put a hold on that. 2022 has been bad so far. I figure 3 years just to get back to the Jan 1 2022 level.

So what is correct-

Sock, shoe, sock, shoe?

Or sock, sock, shoe, shoe?

I had a 3 way call this morning with my brother, his wife, and myself. They seemed very angry about me contemplating the sale of the farm, and retiring.
When asked why, neither could give me a reason.
Could? Or would?

Last edited:

some other considerations:

When approaching retirement, there is the trap of I-can-do-that-once-I-retire.

And once retired, you don't have to be in a hurry to do anything.

I need to get up to the Jet Room and try the ones @Martin Pauly is always raving about.
I don't think you'll be disappointed! I suspect one of my first trips after I get the Bonanza back will be to the Jet Room in Madison for some quality control activities on their Eggs Benedict. :)

- Martin

Is the correct way. That way if you get one shoe on and a bear gets in your room, you still have one foot covered to run with....

Monday is the day to put on fresh socks and skivvies....
I'd rather run barefoot than with one shoe lol. Of course then they could figure out what happened to you when the find the shoe in the bear ****.

Last edited:
Monday is the day to put on fresh socks and skivvies....

I do that on Sunday morning when I take my weekly shower (whether I need it or not) and put on my best go to meetin' clothes!

Last edited:
So what is correct-

Sock, shoe, sock, shoe?

Or sock, sock, shoe, shoe?

I purposely switch up and every other day its Sock Sock Shoe (boot) Shoe.

I flash back to my combat zone days when there was only enough time to either put on both boots, or grab your weapon when the siren went off...

I'd rather run barefoot than with one shoe lol. Of course then they could figure out what happened to you when the find the shoe in the bear ****.
This reminds me of the most important advice I've ever heard for backcountry camping. You should always have a bear bell and bear (pepper) spray with you, and you should be familiar with the different characteristics of bear scat that you might encounter on the trail. Black bear scat will reflect their diet, containing for example seeds from local berries. Grizzly bear scat will smell peppery and contain shiny parts from bear bells.

Non flying day at work, no socks. FYI in the picture. I am standing in the forward cockpit and my Dad is beside the Curtiss Pusher that he built. Guessing it was taken around 1971.

20220606_125709.jpg

Last edited:
I think people get upset about early retirement because too often, people retire and let go. No plans and then their health and all start to spiral down. I know plenty of people who "retired" as early as 40 years because they had major tech exits and they became a mess after retirement because they had no plans about what to do with their lives. I also know a ton of people who retired at 40 but had plans like specific travel plans, doing their side hustles full time, not because they had to for the money, but because they enjoyed doing it... They are doing well, stay in shape and are killing it. I'm in my early 30s and hopefully I'll hit a major exit by the time I'm 40. I have a few horses in the race. If I do, I would definitely "retire" but man, I have so many plans I want to do while being "retired" - some would consider them work, but to me they are pet projects I currently simply don't have the time for. In addition, I'd probably spend as much time up in the air as I'd spend on the ground so that'll hopefully keep me sharp and going once retired as well.

I would like to build furniture part time if I retire, fly more, maybe teach floats and tailwheel part time, and have a big garden.

12 hours later and I'm still not wearing socks.
I took my socks off at lunch.

I'm going flying tomorrow. I'm looking forward to it. I love flying.

I took my socks off at lunch.

I'm going flying tomorrow. I'm looking forward to it. I love flying.
Nice! I’m also going flying tomorrow… but I’ll have socks on, and shoes… Maybe pants too…

Back