the "not worthy of it's own thread" thread

K What we’re winds when we landed KBPK? I that was totally my max haha.
As I recall, they were (ludicrous) G (plaid).

@Terry M - 3CK (Chicago) id say you made the right call. I've flown in a bit more than that, but daytime, in my airplane that I have a decent amount of time in (and is a little heavier & more stable), and I had a place to be. Remove any of those factors and I wouldn't do it either.

@Jim K What we’re winds when we landed KBPK? I that was totally my max haha.
KBPK was reporting 260@7 for RWY23. Eezy peezy if it wasn’t such a blatant lie. FLP was 260@12G24 which was closer to reality.

Pro tip: If your windshield is frosted over on your car, take a dime and put it on the outside of the windshield and hold it there with a bare thumb. After just a few seconds, you will have a dime sized clear spot to look through so you can drive.

Pro tip: If your windshield is frosted over on your car, take a dime and put it on the outside of the windshield and hold it there with a bare thumb. After just a few seconds, you will have a dime sized clear spot to look through so you can drive.

U need a bigger dime!

Shhhhh....don't tell my wife, but I ordered her valentine's day present today. Unfortunately between the shop & Garmin, she won't get it until June. Oh well, it's the thought that counts :blowingkisses:

Shhhhh....don't tell my wife, but I ordered her valentine's day present today. Unfortunately between the shop & Garmin, she won't get it until June. Oh well, it's the thought that counts :blowingkisses:

find something else (even better) for this year and save the one you just ordered until next year.... maybe?

What's the record for delays in getting a tax refund?

My 2019 tax forms were filed 2 years ago and .... nada yet. (the IRS did receive the forms)

What's the record for delays in getting a tax refund?

My 2019 tax forms were filed 2 years ago and .... nada yet. (the IRS did receive the forms)
I'm thankful farmers don't have to make prepayments. Every year something gets screwed up and I'm writing letters back and forth. I finally got a letter last week that they re-examined my 2019 return, and agree that I don't owe anything more than I already paid (they had missed a supplemental attached page). Two days later I get a letter that they don't have my 2020 return. It was in the same envelope as the check they cashed..... So I re-printed and signed everything and wrote a nice letter and spent another $1.16 on postage.

I'm thankful farmers don't have to make prepayments. Every year something gets screwed up and I'm writing letters back and forth. I finally got a letter last week that they re-examined my 2019 return, and agree that I don't owe anything more than I already paid (they had missed a supplemental attached page). Two days later I get a letter that they don't have my 2020 return. It was in the same envelope as the check they cashed..... So I re-printed and signed everything and wrote a nice letter and spent another $1.16 on postage.
I don't think they're going to read your love letter.

Send your next return in the middle of a big box of cow manure…..which is often used as packing material. I think.

I don't think they're going to read your love letter.
It feels like there is some intelligent people there who can read, but not many, and they're 2 years behind.

as a Nor'easter is predicted to hit the Boston area, there is a newspaper article that starts with

"Grocery store parking lots were filled on Thursdat as Bat Staters grabbed essentials -- with wine near the top of the list..."

It's always comforting to know people have their priorities straight. :-/

So, the university where I work gives me a paycheck twice a month.
Once a year, the university has a "Faculty and Staff Campaign" where we are expected to give the university some of the money they gave us.
And, as an incentive to participate if my department reaches 100% participation, everyone gets a 50% off coupon for the university book store.

So they give me money, I give some back, then they give me back some of what I gave back.

How does this make sense?

Once a year, the university has a "Faculty and Staff Campaign" where we are expected to give the university some of the money they gave us.
And, as an incentive to participate if my department reaches 100% participation, everyone gets a 50% off coupon for the university book store.

So they give me money, I give some back, then they give me back some of what I gave back.

hhmmm, kinda similar to how my company says "oh, if you do any volunteer work, document it here" and then at the end of the year they post how much volunteer work 'the company' does for the community.

I got my Covid booster shot Wednesday. My first and second shots were Maderna but now its pretty hard to come by for some reason. So instead, I got the Phyzer booster. I'm just now feeling back to normal.

So, do they tell everyone who did and didn't participate? Like who's the cheap fargin bastige who is responsible for no one getting their coupon that year?

If none of you like where you work and you're an awesome data scientist, I'm hiring.

If none of you like where you work and you're an awesome data scientist, I'm hiring.
Location and what career level? I deal with data scientists on occasion and would happily see if any can be steered in your direction.

Location and what career level? I deal with data scientists on occasion and would happily see if any can be steered in your direction.
This job can be remote. Illinois is preferred but the last person was doing it from South Dakota.

Career level is 5 to 7 years experience in the data analytics area. I'll have a job posting up on Tuesday that I can link you to.

This job can be remote. Illinois is preferred but the last person was doing it from South Dakota.

Career level is 5 to 7 years experience in the data analytics area. I'll have a job posting up on Tuesday that I can link you to.
My sister is a data analyst for Walgreens. Mostly health related. But I'll send it her way. She's in Illinois as well.

Book store operates at 90% margin, they still make money on you, just a little less with the coupon.

I now have progressive lenses and I hate them. There's no peripheral vision.

Of course where I want to go today is all MVFR and everything else is severe clear. January has hated me.

https://w1.weather.gov/data/obhistory/KBOS.html
https://w1.weather.gov/data/obhistory/KBED.html

Blizzard Warning
URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Boston/Norton MA
337 AM EST Sat Jan 29 2022

MAZ007-015-016-019-022-023-292145-
/O.CON.KBOX.BZ.W.0001.000000T0000Z-220130T1000Z/
Eastern Essex MA-Suffolk MA-Eastern Norfolk MA-
Eastern Plymouth MA-Barnstable MA-Dukes MA-
Including the cities of Gloucester, Boston, Quincy, Plymouth,
Chatham, Falmouth, Provincetown, and Vineyard Haven
337 AM EST Sat Jan 29 2022

...BLIZZARD WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 5 AM EST SUNDAY...

* WHAT...Blizzard conditions expected. Total snow accumulations
of 18 to 24 inches with localized 30 inches possible. Winds
gusting as high as 70 mph.

* WHERE...Portions of eastern, northeastern and southeastern
Massachusetts.

* WHEN...From midnight tonight to 5 AM EST Sunday.

* IMPACTS...Travel could be extremely difficult to impossible.
Very strong winds could cause extensive tree damage.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Considerable blowing and drifting snow
along with near white out conditions at times. Snowfall rates
of 2 to 4 inches per hour is possible at times.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

Travel should be restricted to emergencies only. If you must
travel, have a winter survival kit with you. If you get stranded,
stay with your vehicle.

&&

Is this the first time you’ve had any type of bifocals ?

Are your progressives HD? HD’s big selling point is the better peripheral vision.

I got regular bifocals once - never again. The HD wide progressives are much better at reading as well as peripheral - or at least as much as the physics of light allows.

I went flying today for the first time in 6 weeks and it was cold and windy* but worth it.

*for Florida panhandle anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went flying today too. Not windy at all, but kinda cold - AWOS said -8C. Clear sky. 10+ miles vis - some steam coming up where there was open water in Lake Erie. Runways and taxiways were clear. And I shoveled out the 2 feet that the plow left in front of the hangar while waiting for the pre-heat.

Just got off the phone with a customer service agent where I needed to read off the ID# of a piece of equipment.

Me: "The ID# is 123, A as in ALPHA, B as in BRAVO, C as in CHARLIE and D as in DELTA."
Her: "Ok, that's 123, A as in AWESOME, B as in BRILLIANT, C as in CELEBRATIONS and D as in DELIGHTFUL. Is that correct?"

Also, she seemed to be afraid of dead air and apparently gets paid by the word. I'd hate to be her CFI.

Just got off the phone with a customer service agent where I needed to read off the ID# of a piece of equipment.

Me: "The ID# is 123, A as in ALPHA, B as in BRAVO, C as in CHARLIE and D as in DELTA."
Her: "Ok, that's 123, A as in AWESOME, B as in BRILLIANT, C as in CELEBRATIONS and D as in DELIGHTFUL. Is that correct?"

Also, she seemed to be afraid of dead air and apparently gets paid by the word. I'd hate to be her CFI.

next time do the readback with some really obscure words... preferably ones where the first letter is "silent", like knife or pneumonia.

I went from contacts to progressives... I'm not sure why you lost peripheral vision

the prescription is pretty strong, so the lenses get blurry toward the edges. Same for the reading magnifiers on the bottom. Because my monitor sits about 2’ away, I now have to turn my head to read my computer screen

the prescription is pretty strong, so the lenses get blurry toward the edges. Same for the reading magnifiers on the bottom. Because my monitor sits about 2’ away, I now have to turn my head to read my computer screen

I also have a pretty strong prescription (-6.5, -6)... it took me some time to get used to wearing glasses again (wore contacts for 35 years). I guess I didn't fully expect to have to turn my head rather than just moving my eyes like I used to (with the contacts).

Back