The Great Monkey Race - volunteers needed

bflynn

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Brian Flynn
Interesting challenge here: The Monkey is in California. The desired owner is in Charlotte. Can the Monkey travel from Oakland to Charlotte via GA flying? How many different people and flight segments will it take to move it from point west to point east?

Rules of the Great Monkey Race

- If you have the Monkey, you are responsible for finding someone closer to Charlotte than you are and for transferring the Monkey to them.
- you and the person you're transferring it to must meet at a "3rd party" location to hand off the Monkey. You cannot do it at your or their home 'drome.
- the Monkey must be flown to all locations.
- No leg can be more than 500 miles.
- You must maintain custody of the bag and flight log for The Monkey.

Sealed and ready to go.....

attachment.php

So - the objective is to get said Monkey from Oakland, CA to Charlotte, NC solely by GA flights. This is intended to be fun and help build community.

Right now we need a first volunteer to coordinate with Sac Arrow. You will need to meet him someplace between 0 and 500 miles from Oakland. Then post here and find the next person that you can transfer the Monkey to. If you're close enough to make the final leg, contact eman12 and arrange to meet somewhere to complete the leg.

:needpics:

If it gets to BJC I'll pick it up there and fly it to APA...

If the Monkey gets anywhere near Charlotte I say I meet the deliverer at the coast so the Monkey can fly coast to coast in the name of GA.

I think the key here is to move it South in California, then East towards Texas. There are a few takers there.

For reasons of time availability, my practical limitation is Bakersfield for the next couple of months out.

If the Monkey gets anywhere near Charlotte I say I meet the deliverer at the coast so the Monkey can fly coast to coast in the name of GA.

I'm in Atlanta and could make the delivery to Charlotte whenever it makes it this far.

I'm in the Odessa area once a week. If someone can get it there, getting it do the Dallas / Ft. Worth area is easy.

^^^yeah this^^^deliver to Spartanburg- or someplace else within an hour of Spartanburg, I pick-up and deliver to Eman at coast, Eman takes it to Charlotte. I like the coast to coast idea, then back to Charlotte.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^^^yeah this^^^deliver to Spartanburg- or someplace else within an hour of Spartanburg, I pick-up and deliver to Eman at coast, Eman takes it to Charlotte. I like the coast to coast idea, then back to Charlotte.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh,now you are just monkeying around.

I'll take it across Alabama for near-Atlanta pickup. Hey, I live in thencountrynand drive a pickup,it's natural . . .

The biggest problem I see is the apparent inability to traverse Colorado, Utah or New Mexico.

The biggest problem I see is the apparent inability to traverse Colorado, Utah or New Mexico.

El Paso is the key. At 115kts it's only 2 hours from Tucson to El Paso and then another 2 hours from El Paso to Odessa.

would it then be known as the Odessa file?

Has the monkey left Oakland yet? Let me know if there's anyway I can help coordinate.

Has the monkey left Oakland yet? Let me know if there's anyway I can help coordinate.

Nope. Until I have a recipient in California or Nevada, there is no point in taking it someplace.

The 500 mile leg restriction is not helping.

WX looks great for a westbound flight this weekend out of here, and I'd even go further than 500 miles west, but the rules are the rules.

How far could you bring him into Nevada?

WX looks great for a westbound flight this weekend out of here, and I'd even go further than 500 miles west, but the rules are the rules.

You could always apply for a waiver on the leg length rule...and what if you had two pilots aboard? could you then have a 1,000 mile leg?

Maybe Tonopah, if I have the time.

You could always apply for a waiver on the leg length rule...and what if you had two pilots aboard? could you then have a 1,000 mile leg?

While we're talking about relaxing the rules, handing off to an FBO as an intermediary rather than pilot-to-pilot would make scheduling a lot easier.

Also, what's the reasoning behind the home 'drome restriction?

I don't understand why so many of you guys are so eager to get your hands on some guys monkey.

While we're talking about relaxing the rules, handing off to an FBO as an intermediary rather than pilot-to-pilot would make scheduling a lot easier.
It looks like that is already covered on the paper on the package - and that was what I was figuring might have to happen at Odessa, anyway. I should be there tomorrow, probably stopping for an overnight in Lubbock (Town and Country for the evening).

Maybe Tonopah, if I have the time.

Hmm. Direct it's still 582 nm for me, and I'm not going straight west over the highest portion of the Rockies in winter, not enough survivable territory when it's covered in snow, and way too cold to spend a night out, waiting on the kids with the Chinooks from Ft. Carson -- so I guess I'm out -- unless someone can hop it over Nevada to me somewhere.

(Plus we are still 82 nm past the rule... Even direct.)

If we get him a little further east, I could get it to BJC and Clark could take over from there...

Just getting it up to BJC from home at APA (and avoiding Clark's home base of FTG) adds about 50 nm.

No matter what I'd have to do a doggy-sitter, if Karen is out, which this time of year is a given for a singer (holiday performances -- the WalMart Dance re-write of the Nutcracker song is a cute crowd-pleaser but I've seen it already about a hundred times), but I'd do that if the weather and the distance requirement can be met.

It'd be a nice long day of flying and I wouldn't mind an excuse to disconnect from the rest of the world for a day and go play with the airplane.

What was the inspiration behind it being a monkey?

If it comes around VA, I can get it to Virginia beach and head towards Charlotte. Or even better, I'll get it to the Wright Memorial.

Who said spank the monkey,I thought the idea was to fly the monkey.

Let's take this by steps and find people in CA, AZ and NM who can handle parts of the route. i'm hesitant to fly too far for something that is, well, a folly (although a fun folly). i'm in Modesto,CA, flying out of KTCY. i'm more than willing to pick up the monkey and fly south, but i'd prefer to fly no more than 200NM, perhaps stopping in Bakersfield where someone could fly it south/east to Palmdale or Palm Springs.

Last edited:
However you guys wanna do it. Every hour in my logbook is essentially folly so folly never bothers me. Haha.

Let's take this by steps and find people in CA, AZ and NM who can handle parts of the route. i'm hesitant to fly too far for something that is, well, a folly (although a fun folly). i'm in Modesto,CA, flying out of KTCY. i'm more than willing to pick up the monkey and fly south, but i'd prefer to fly no more than 200NM, perhaps stopping in Bakersfield where someone could fly it south/east to Palmdale or Palm Springs.

Tell you what, can I unload it on you?

I don't think a Rockies route is going to be very attractive for the reasons denverpilot has mentioned. I would have to cross a lot of nasty, inhospitable terrain for a very long distance myself, just like he would. I think for practical purposes it needs to travel South, maybe through Palm Springs except that Easterly routes there are full of restricted areas and MOA's.

Tell you what, can I unload it on you?

I don't think a Rockies route is going to be very attractive for the reasons denverpilot has mentioned. I would have to cross a lot of nasty, inhospitable terrain for a very long distance myself, just like he would. I think for practical purposes it needs to travel South, maybe through Palm Springs except that Easterly routes there are full of restricted areas and MOA's.

WOAH....do we have our first leg filled? Not sure where Sac flies out of but if it's HWD then we have our first 32.4nm leg filled, HWD -> TCY !!!

I thought there were some PoAers around SBA. Maybe getting it to the coast will help? There are quite a few people in the L.A. Basin who might be able to take it East. I wouldn't think many PoAers fly to Bakersfield on a regular basis (no offense to those in Bakersfield), though I know quite a few that stop around Visalia for fuel on their way south.

WOAH....do we have our first leg filled? Not sure where Sac flies out of but if it's HWD then we have our first 32.4nm leg filled, HWD -> TCY !!!

Depending on the timing, I may leave from either CCR or MHR.

Back