The Great Monkey Race - volunteers needed

I thought there were some PoAers around SBA. Maybe getting it to the coast will help? There are quite a few people in the L.A. Basin who might be able to take it East. I wouldn't think many PoAers fly to Bakersfield on a regular basis (no offense to those in Bakersfield), though I know quite a few that stop around Visalia for fuel on their way south.

It would be desirable but not absolutely necessary that the transfer happen in person. I'm sure most FBOs will be willing to stash it for a while.

Isn't Camarillo the same distance and nicer stop over than Bakersfield?

Isn't Camarillo the same distance and nicer stop over than Bakersfield?

Camarillo is just south of Santa Barbara and near the coast, so a little further than Bakersfield which is in the Central Valley. That said, the Camarillo/SBA area might be a better stop or maybe even San Luis Obispo which would probably be about the same as Bakersfield. I was just trying to think where there might be pilots willing to participate.

Well if for some reason the monkey gets lost and ends up going north, I'm in ND and it'd be fun to participate :)

if it comes to Mississippi I can take it across the state to Alabama.

I'm flying from O69 to Las Vages next Thursday and would be happy to bring it along. I saw something about 500 mile restriction. Are there rules somewhere?

I'm flying from O69 to Las Vages next Thursday and would be happy to bring it along. I saw something about 500 mile restriction. Are there rules somewhere?

That could work. I might be able to drop it off at O69 by Wednesday. Any takers to get it from Vegas? (VGT? Henderson?)

if it comes to Mississippi I can take it across the state to Alabama.

Okay, so we've got MS to AL to GA to NC pinned down. It's up to you westerners to get him moving eastbound! :yes:

I think when eman gets the monkey he is only allowed to keep it for a certain time period before it has to continue its US journey.

I think when eman gets the monkey he is only allowed to keep it for a certain time period before it has to continue its US journey.

Some rules were meant to be broken!!!!

But yeah, maybe we start building a 'states I've landed in' monkey map.

Still 33 miles over the limit from here, direct. Hahah.

Come on Nate! I talked to you for all of about 30 seconds on my way into Grant and Leslie's Jambalaya party. You should make the trip to Vegas. We should have a proper introduction! :)

Well if Sac won't let us play with his monkey we could always still fly places and meet up again. Haha.

Ugh. Forecast models right now show 20"+ of snow here Monday. Ughhhhh. Not ready for that.

Come on Nate! I talked to you for all of about 30 seconds on my way into Grant and Leslie's Jambalaya party. You should make the trip to Vegas. We should have a proper introduction! :)

Well if Sac won't let us play with his monkey we could always still fly places and meet up again. Haha.

Ugh. Forecast models right now show 20"+ of snow here Monday. Ughhhhh. Not ready for that.

Well am I handing off the monkey or not? If yes, I will plan an O69 run sometime before Thursday.

Possibly tomorrow.

Well am I handing off the monkey or not? If yes, I will plan an O69 run sometime before Thursday.

Possibly tomorrow.

Sure. I can take it to Las Vegas. That gives us a few days to convince Nate to make the trip. NBAA will just be concluding -- so if all else fails, I'll just toss it into a jet on the ramp. Chances are it will be moving east.

Anytime tomorrow mid day through afternoon, I can probably pop on down to the airport to meet you and pick up the "package". First thing in the am, I'm headed down to Gnoss (probably driving) to have pancakes and listen to a Scott Beach presentation on Skew-T.

Checking next weekend's schedule if I have an official "waiver" from Mr. Sac on the 500 nm leg rule.

Let me get my ducks in a row. I could probably do Gnoss in the morning, or leave it with the office at O69 in the morning. I think we can consider the 500 mile rule to be waived.

Let me get my ducks in a row.

Have you stopped to consider that proving your ability to herd ducks may be a very bad thing. Once a talent such as herding fowl is demonstrated you may be stuck doing that the rest of your natural born life.

My advise is to never herd ducks. Next thing you know they will want you to herd cats. Mark my words...

do I have this somewhat close:

SAC + Monkey
KCCR/KMHR -> O69 (Oakland, CA to Petaluma, CA)

Sam D + Monkey
O69-> KHND(?) (Petaluma, CA to Vegas area)

Checking next weekend's schedule if I have an official "waiver" from Mr. Sac on the 500 nm leg rule.

I'll be in Las Vegas from Thursday to Sunday. That ought to give a big enough window!

I'll be in Las Vegas from Thursday to Sunday. That ought to give a big enough window!

Very cool. Alright barring the weather going to total crap, I'll plan to head to HND sometime next weekend. I'll know more as the week goes on.

Clark, looks like you're next. Wanna transfer at BJC or would EIK be easier? (Don't care... Just asking...)

Very cool. Alright barring the weather going to total crap, I'll plan to head to HND sometime next weekend. I'll know more as the week goes on.

Clark, looks like you're next. Wanna transfer at BJC or would EIK be easier? (Don't care... Just asking...)

Don't care at all. EIK and BJC are samey-same to me. BBQ at BJC...no food at EIK but CSRs are usually spectacular...

edit: I go to the public parking at BJC so coordinating through DenverJet or whoever they are now is potentially a pain. Prolly best if I can meet you there.

Last edited:
Ok I'm in. My intention is to complete the initial run to Sam D tomorrow

LET THE MONKEY RACE BEGIN!!!!!!!!

Wait, so Clark, are u meeting at EIK or BJC and where is your destination?

LET THE MONKEY RACE BEGIN!!!!!!!!

Wait, so Clark, are u meeting at EIK or BJC and where is your destination?

I will fly the damn monkey all the way to APA. Mark that on your map!

no monkey breath...I offered to fly the damn monkey from BJC to APA. Do try to pay a bit of 'tention now...

Ya, that's why I asked you WHERE you were meeting Sam D, which u didn't answer. I'll update the map.

Ya, that's why I asked you WHERE you were meeting Sam D, which u didn't answer. I'll update the map.

Good god, Nate may meet sam d....I cannot and will not answer who will meet sam d. Frankly I doubt sam d and the monkey even exist...

Because he's not meeting Sam D. I am.

Sam, does HND work for ya? Just making sure. Could do VGT if that's where you'll be. Or whatever.

The only downside to either is the wonderfully happy and joyous Vegas TRACON folks who are always in such a great mood. Haha. :) Six of one or half dozen of the other, at either airport so that doesn't matter at all. LOL.

(Last time I went to Vegas the controller wanted to descend me into the ridge line east of HND... at night... because I was head on with a 737 turning left base for the main airport... and he wondered if I had him in sight. In the dark. With 20 billion candlepower pointed my way. Nope. Can't seem him at all. Here's your sign.)

Good god, Nate may meet sam d....I cannot and will not answer who will meet sam d. Frankly I doubt sam d and the monkey even exist...

I met Sam. But like he said it was all too brief at OSH.

Sometimes I wonder the same thing.

I wonder if any of us are really here.

Because he's not meeting Sam D. I am.

Sam, does HND work for ya? Just making sure. Could do VGT if that's where you'll be. Or whatever.

The only downside to either is the wonderfully happy and joyous Vegas TRACON folks who are always in such a great mood. Haha. :) Six of one or half dozen of the other, at either airport so that doesn't matter at all. LOL.

(Last time I went to Vegas the controller wanted to descend me into the ridge line east of HND... at night... because I was head on with a 737 turning left base for the main airport... and he wondered if I had him in sight. In the dark. With 20 billion candlepower pointed my way. Nope. Can't seem him at all. Here's your sign.)

I met Sam. But like he said it was all too brief at OSH.

I wonder if any of us are really here.
No we are not here and Nate is unreal. Is there anything else you require?

Good question Nate. We're flying in Thursday which happens to be the last day of NBAA at KHND. I'm planning on calling to see if it's even possible to park there. I'll let you know what I decide on. In any event, I'll have a car.

Good question Nate. We're flying in Thursday which happens to be the last day of NBAA at KHND. I'm planning on calling to see if it's even possible to park there. I'll let you know what I decide on. In any event, I'll have a car.

Roger. We'll figure it out. No worries. This all assumes the stupid weather pattern doesn't hold and we get dumped on on Monday and then again the next weekend anyway. Haha.

Back