Student drug tests

You seem to be confusing me with someone who is an advocate for this plan. As I said above, I'm indifferent. If applicants don't like it they'll find another aviation program to attend. If they drive away too many prospective students they'll either change their policy or end their aviation programs.

Maybe you should tell that to this school instead of me. Touting an aviation program that mirrors airline training and operations seems to attract more applicants than it dissuades, though, so I'm not convinced this hurts their enrollment figures.

The thing is these kids ain't going to a airline after school, that's like job number 2 or 3, and the airline will teach them what they need to know airline specific, these students be learning fundamental stick and rudder skills.

The thing is these kids ain't going to a airline after school, that's like job number 2 or 3, and the airline will teach them what they need to know airline specific, these students be learning fundamental stick and rudder skills.

Wait what? LOL.

You mean there won’t be a dispatch desk or any epaulets at their first paid gig? Surely you jest! :)

If you don't have a drug problem why do you care if they drug test or not?
fancy-i-have-nothing-to-hide-quotes-if-you-hide-information-from-people-don-by-john-i-have-nothing-to-hide-quotes.jpg

Maybe.

I'm pretty good with my you're/your, then/than, and to/too/two, though. Would you like me to start proofreading your posts for those common errors?

I'm always typing 'visibility' wrong, too, but spellcheck catches that mistake. I could use a good trick for remembering affect vs. effect, too, if you know one.
If you try the affect the opinions of POAers, it will have little effect.

If you don't have a drug problem why do you care if they drug test or not?
I have been looking for a new school. My big issue is that Im using the GI Bill and a degree program is my best option. This is the only school in my area with a degree program. Luckily my wife is currently in salary negotiations for a job that will take me closer (2,500 miles from where we are currently) to a different school that has a degree program.

This is also just the most recent step in a pile of bullsh!t from the school.
Care to mention what state this school is in?

First of let me say that if I were to take a drug test, I'd pass with streaming color. It looks like my flight school is trying to implement drug screening not only for employees but also students. I get it for employees but isn't student drug screening a bit much?

This policy sounds really surprising.

The only explanation that I can think of is insurance. I could imagine an insurance company offering a lower rate to a school if every student pilot passes a drug test before flying solo.

Why are you telling me? That doesn't negate any of the reasons I've suggested for why a college program might want to include drug testing.

It took me ten months from graduation until my first airline job. I graduated in 1989. No drug tests when I was in school. I only did one flight course with the university as I was a CFI before entering the program and that all transferred in with the completion of that one course. The most important thing I learned in that one flight course was how to adapt to a training program instead of expecting the training program to adapt to me as it does in (good) G.A. training. That lesson helped prepare me for the training I'd receive from future employers where it was my job to adapt to, and succeed in, their structured program.

This entire thread is silly imo. If you are going to a school to be a professional pilot, you had better get use to drug tests.... palm swipes, bag searches, fingerprint background checks, you name it. It’s what you signed up for if you joined a professional pilot program.

This entire thread is silly imo. If you are going to a school to be a professional pilot, you had better get use to drug tests.... palm swipes, bag searches, fingerprint background checks, you name it. It’s what you signed up for if you joined a professional pilot program.

Aaand this is the thinking that digs us deeper into living in a more and more controlling, big government state. I know.... freedom is scary for the weak.

I really hope there was some sarcasm in that statement of yours.

Wait what? LOL.

You mean there won’t be a dispatch desk or any epaulets at their first paid gig? Surely you jest! :)

Don't call me surely

There’s a number of professional pilots here who rarely do any of that.

It’d be accurate if you said professional *airline* pilot. Maybe even professional *cargo* pilot at some locations.

But not just “professional pilot”.

I’m sure anyone at a puppy mill is probably thinking they want to fly airliners, so yeah, accurate for them maybe as well. But they won’t be anywhere near an airliner for a few years.

Back when I started, more like five to seven years. But things are in mass hiring mode again now, until it crashes again. Might take longer to crash this time around.

Haven’t had a good old airline failure now in quite a while. Almost feeling nostalgic for one. LOL.

Aaand this is the thinking that digs us deeper into living in a more and more controlling, big government state. I know.... freedom is scary for the weak.

I really hope there was some sarcasm in that statement of yours.

Don't call me surely
No sarcasm. It’s hard truth. It’s the way it is and if anyone doesn’t like it, get out of the business.

There’s a number of professional pilots here who rarely do any of that.

It’d be accurate if you said professional *airline* pilot. Maybe even professional *cargo* pilot at some locations.

But not just “professional pilot”.

I’m sure anyone at a puppy mill is probably thinking they want to fly airliners, so yeah, accurate for them maybe as well. But they won’t be anywhere near an airliner for a few years.

Back when I started, more like five to seven years. But things are in mass hiring mode again now, until it crashes again. Might take longer to crash this time around.

Haven’t had a good old airline failure now in quite a while. Almost feeling nostalgic for one. LOL.
I respectfully disagree. I flew professionally, pre airline, for roughly 20 years. I was still exposed to all those things. Drug tests mandated, but bag searches and so forth because we airlined to and fro work. And that’s even with KCM.

No sarcasm. It’s hard truth. It’s the way it is and if anyone doesn’t like it, get out of the business.

You make your masters so proud, remind them and they might give you a little treat or a pat on the head.

I go through the random drug testing too, and I don't like it, I find it insulting, and unless I'm exhibiting behavior that would warrant it I think they should take their testing and shove it, that's my opinion and I do make it known.

If people didn't stand up or speak out for their beliefs black people would still be second class citizens, we'd still be subjects of the crown, and so on.

Also....we are talking about .....a..FLIGHT SCHOOL, these students ARENT IN THE "BUSINESS" lol

Let's not put the cart before the horse.

OP: "looks like...trying to..."

I respectfully disagree. I flew professionally, pre airline, for roughly 20 years. I was still exposed to all those things. Drug tests mandated, but bag searches and so forth because we airlined to and fro work. And that’s even with KCM.

Lots of people don’t commute on airlines and fly professionally. You’re reaching pretty hard there.

My entire home airport is full of pilots that don’t do the vast majority of those things. Corporate, Medevac, Freight, you name it. Granted it’s likely one of the busiest “GA” airports in the country, but the place is littered with professional pilots who don’t do that stuff very often.

They’re subject to the pee tests from time to time, but haven’t had a bag searched in decades unless they flew somewhere as a tourist or bought an airline ticket to get home from a deadhead to position an airplane, or fly to a simulator somewhere, a couple times a year.

They’re definitely not in the daily TSA fondling crowd. Hahaha. Their usual path to the airplane is through an FBO where they’re tempted by the cookies but settle for a cup of bad coffee while they sign the fuel receipt.

You seem to be confusing me with someone who is an advocate for this plan. As I said above, I'm indifferent. If applicants don't like it they'll find another aviation program to attend. If they drive away too many prospective students they'll either change their policy or end their aviation programs.

The problem with the schools that prey on the GI bill system is that the students have their funds tied up with the school. Its not as simple as just packing up and going next door.

Other than that.

The lady doth protest too much, methinks

Maybe.

I'm pretty good with my you're/your, then/than, and to/too/two, though. Would you like me to start proofreading your posts for those common errors?

I'm always typing 'visibility' wrong, too, but spellcheck catches that mistake. I could use a good trick for remembering affect vs. effect, too, if you know one.
Obviously my response to your ‘collage’ post has affected you. Your reply has no effect on me because quite obviously you’re unable to proofread.
HTH and HAND

The last time I had to pee in a cup was 1995 when I had an offer from Intel. Clean and your offer is good. They never looked again, and I retired from there with just over 20 years with the company. HR gets a little silly now and then. It's an invasion of privacy with too many ways for a false positive. I'm glad I don't have to worry about that anymore. And I would still pass.

It's an invasion of privacy with too many ways for a false positive. I'm glad I don't have to worry about that anymore. And I would still pass.

At the airline I was at, our ALPA contract specified split samples for that very reason.

So let me make sure I understand this.....

The airlines, as part of preventing pilot fatigue, make their pilots do a pee test to ensure that the pilots are taking enough amphetamines.

Do I have that right?

The problem with the schools that prey on the GI bill system is that the students have their funds tied up with the school. Its not as simple as just packing up and going next door.
This is exactly my problem and unfortunately, outside of a degree program, the GI Bill doesnt go very far.

I did not think this would turn into a big thing lol. I kind of figured Id just get called a pothead since I think its ridiculous to pee test students and the thread would die

That's not necessarily true, if it's a good school program. My program allows me to pick from 7 different flight schools in the region. I picked right the first time, but I know several people in the program who switched flight schools very easily.

That's not necessarily true, if it's a good school program. My program allows me to pick from 7 different flight schools in the region. I picked right the first time, but I know several people in the program who switched flight schools very easily.
Unfortunatly the only degree program I know of in my area is contracted with a single flight school. I know one other school was exploring options with a school but I have not heard of any progress.

Unfortunatly the only degree program I know of in my area is contracted with a single flight school. I know one other school was exploring options with a school but I have not heard of any progress.

Ah well that sucks in that case. They really should expand to at least a couple, that flight school goes under or gets shut down and they are going to have a real mess on their hands.

Ah well that sucks in that case. They really should expand to at least a couple, that flight school goes under or gets shut down and they are going to have a real mess on their hands.
I do know that the VA stopped allowing new entrants to the program over the summer so hopefully the college is searching for other flight schools. I know since Ive been in the program the flight schools quality has been in steady decline. And the school Im at has a large contract with an international airline that they seem to be propped up on.

Obviously my response to your ‘collage’ post has affected you. Your reply has no effect on me because quite obviously you’re unable to proofread.
HTH and HAND
My observation is that Larry does a better job of proofreading his posts than 90% of the people here.

My observation is that Larry does a better job of proofreading his posts than 90% of the people here.
Well either he failed to proofread his post or he doesn't know the difference between college or collage. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt on knowing the difference so we are left with one conclusion. QED.

Well either he failed to proofread his post or he doesn't know the difference between college or collage. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt on knowing the difference so we are left with one conclusion. QED.
I'll try again.

Argumentum ad hominem

Did I spell that correctly?

And what exactly is it that you think you've proven?

I've seen far fewer misspelling from him than most participants on this board.

What state is this school in? Maybe we can help find another school to give your Federal $$$ too!

My university only required the instructors to pee in a cup for obvious reasons. I had several students that I knew first hand smoked weed. I told them the first time I caught them that they needed to quit as it was against our rules. The second time I gave their names to the Chief and he took it from there. College kids are going to do dumb ****. That's why I just warned them the first time.

After you solo, the school gives you their plane to fly around. Why do you think it is unreasonable that they want to make sure you are not a pothead ?

You make your masters so proud, remind them and they might give you a little treat or a pat on the head.

I go through the random drug testing too, and I don't like it, I find it insulting, and unless I'm exhibiting behavior that would warrant it I think they should take their testing and shove it, that's my opinion and I do make it known.

If people didn't stand up or speak out for their beliefs black people would still be second class citizens, we'd still be subjects of the crown, and so on.

Also....we are talking about .....a..FLIGHT SCHOOL, these students ARENT IN THE "BUSINESS" lol
Nobody said you have to like it. I’m just saying it’s the way it is so get use to it.
Personally I don’t see the big deal here. Someone training to be a professional pilot has to take a drug test. Could actually save them a bunch of heartache and moola down the road.

Back