Student drug tests

Lots of people don’t commute on airlines and fly professionally. You’re reaching pretty hard there.

My entire home airport is full of pilots that don’t do the vast majority of those things. Corporate, Medevac, Freight, you name it. Granted it’s likely one of the busiest “GA” airports in the country, but the place is littered with professional pilots who don’t do that stuff very often.

They’re subject to the pee tests from time to time, but haven’t had a bag searched in decades unless they flew somewhere as a tourist or bought an airline ticket to get home from a deadhead to position an airplane, or fly to a simulator somewhere, a couple times a year.

They’re definitely not in the daily TSA fondling crowd. Hahaha. Their usual path to the airplane is through an FBO where they’re tempted by the cookies but settle for a cup of bad coffee while they sign the fuel receipt.
Granted, if they don’t filter through commercial airports their bags don’t get searched. But this thread is basically about drug tests, and yes... they are subject just like the airline folks.
All commercial aviation folks need to get over the drug testing. There’s no way around it. And there shouldn’t be.

Nobody said you have to like it. I’m just saying it’s the way it is so get use to it.
Personally I don’t see the big deal here. Someone training to be a professional pilot has to take a drug test. Could actually save them a bunch of heartache and moola down the road.
The collective is proud of your response and will see that you receive an extra ration at the next holiday.

Were I spending my money I think I'd walk. Depends on how much of my money I'd have to burn in order to do it, but if it's my money I'd feel free to burn it. That said, if I was using someone else's money for the training I think I'd just put up with it, especially if said money could only be used for certain types of training. My guess is the flight school knows they have their students by the short and curlys because lots of them are in the same boat as our valiant OP.

Using other people's money often comes with strings attached. Given the obvious benefits the strings don't seem so bad to me.

The problem with the testing program is that it’s drug AND alcohol, as if alcohol were not a drug. And alcohol gets special treatment because as long as you are not under the influence at the time you are on duty it’s okay whereas you may have smoked a joint a week ago when you were on vacation and it’s not okay. Even though you could very likely have a much worse alcohol problem you get kind of a free pass.

For the OP, if he has no problem passing the test and it’s a hassle to move somewhere else it’s not really worth it just to make a statement on principle. The drug testing industry is just that - a huge industry, there’s a lot of money involved in it and sooner or later in life at one point or another it’s gonna steamroll right over you anyway so may as well get used to it.

The problem with the testing program is that it’s drug AND alcohol, as if alcohol were not a drug. And alcohol gets special treatment because as long as you are not under the influence at the time you are on duty it’s okay whereas you may have smoked a joint a week ago when you were on vacation and it’s not okay. Even though you could very likely have a much worse alcohol problem you get kind of a free pass.

For the OP, if he has no problem passing the test and it’s a hassle to move somewhere else it’s not really worth it just to make a statement on principle. The drug testing industry is just that - a huge industry, there’s a lot of money involved in it and sooner or later in life at one point or another it’s gonna steamroll right over you anyway so may as well get used to it.
I think one reason why they treat alcohol differently from other drugs is that alcohol is not an illegal drug.

The drug testing industry is just that - a huge industry, there’s a lot of money involved in it and sooner or later in life at one point or another it’s gonna steamroll right over you anyway so may as well get used to it.

Being somewhat indirectly in that industry, I can’t think of anyone who’s ever been steamrollered by it unless they were doing drugs. I guess.

If you’re saying employers and others tend to overuse the services, perhaps. The “others” is this example here. I don’t see any particular reason for a flight school who’s paying any attention whatsoever to student’s behavior would need it.

A massive flight school “puppy mill” perhaps. Mostly because they’re not building any sort of relationship with the student nor noticing their behavior. Just slap another instructor with the student and send them up. But even then, the instructors should know when someone’s acting odd.

Before I worked for a place that has Docs that talk to people who’ve failed a simple employment drug test, and heard the stories, I would have thought not that many people are perennially high.

But I’ve lost that naïveté for sure. There’s a lot of people high on all sorts of drugs out there. A lot.

My “favorite” calls to overhear when walking by the Docs usually go like this, “No, I don’t think you’ll get the job. According to this report you had so much cocaine in your system you probably should have died walking from your car to the test center. Did you do that in the parking lot?”

Unfortunately hearing those calls as you walk by, becomes darkly comical after you’ve overheard enough of them. Nobody in my office trusts a dang thing that most of the callers say, either. Because addicts lie. A lot. They’ll say nearly anything to delay a positive result being reported to an employer, etc.

I’m just “the IT guy” and I see this. I wouldn’t want to be in the team that talks to them all day every day.

By “steamrolled” I just mean you’re gonna end up having to pee in a cup at some time. The whole thing is grossly overused similar to one nut trying to make a bomb out of his shoe and now everyone on Earth has to take their shoes off to get on an airplane.

By “steamrolled” I just mean you’re gonna end up having to pee in a cup at some time. The whole thing is grossly overused similar to one nut trying to make a bomb out of his shoe and now everyone on Earth has to take their shoes off to get on an airplane.

I suspected that’s what you meant but I really wasn’t sure. Yeah, it’s used a lot by a lot of places.

I can’t complain too much since it partially pays my bills. We do have aerospace customers.

Always makes me wonder who at those places is failing tests and whether they build the planes and rockets and things... but we sanitize the data in such a way as only they know, and I’d have no way to find out that information if I wanted to.

Probably better that way. I don’t want to know.

But not federally. Your pilot certificate is not state issued.
Id say its only a matter of time before it is federally legalized. It will be interesting to see if they can develop a test that determines if a person is currently under the effects rather than it just being in their system.

Id say its only a matter of time before it is federally legalized. It will be interesting to see if they can develop a test that determines if a person is currently under the effects rather than it just being in their system.
States have already set limits for THC intoxication. That was a fundamental part of the legalization process in Colorado.

Back