Someone's going to be an airline pilot!

Isn't that always the way it goes?

One mans trash is another mans treasure in this business! I always bid to work weekends, holidays, and late nights, most people think I'm crazy, but hey I generally get what I want

Isn't that always the way it goes?

Good luck!

They are saying no displacements for now, but who knows what's actually going to happen. I guess the JFK base will be bigger than LGA on the 200, when it's all said and done, which is ironic, because up until this month, we hadn't operated scheduled 200 flying out of JFK in over a year.

I'm not worried about it, I've got something like 30-40 guys under me in DTW already. I actually enjoy the flying over there, just you couldn't pay me enough to be based there. LGA flying is great for making money.

They are saying no displacements for now, but who knows what's actually going to happen. I guess the JFK base will be bigger than LGA on the 200, when it's all said and done, which is ironic, because up until this month, we hadn't operated scheduled 200 flying out of JFK in over a year.

I'm not worried about it, I've got something like 30-40 guys under me in DTW already. I actually enjoy the flying over there, just you couldn't pay me enough to be based there. LGA flying is great for making money.
I live in NY so it's great news for me.

Day 1 of CTP complete. Ground instructors are awesome and have lots of stories and experience. I met two people that are going to be in my class. One is an A10 pilot and the other one is an Airbus pilot that's been flying in the Middle East. Today we went over high altitude aerodynamics, physiology, weather, wind shear, wake turbulence and microbursts. Started at 9am and just ended about 30 minutes ago. Back to the hotel to study now!

Sounds fun.... No Mach tuck teachings??

Sounds fun.... No Mach tuck teachings??
Surprisingly not. A lot the stuff we talked about in the first day related to the aerodynamics questions in the written. We all agreed to come in an hour early to get out an early. Today we talked about stall prevention ad recovery, upset prevention and recovery, turbine engines, transport aircraft performance, automation, and navigation and flight path warning systems. Lots of videos about accidents. It was very interesting.

You're at Endeavor? If you are, why are they not using a CRJ sim?

You're at Endeavor? If you are, why are they not using a CRJ sim?

He's not at Endeavor. He's at an Endeavor provided CTP course, so that he may pass the written and start training at 9E.

He's not at Endeavor. He's at an Endeavor provided CTP course, so that he may pass the written and start training at 9E.
Yep. Sim was cool. The instructor didn't turn on any motion. It was more familiarization. There were three of us in the sim plus the instructor so we each rotated. I was the PM and the Airbus guy was the PF. We did some taxiing, got a clearance, flew the SID, STAR and ILS into SEA and we each rotated to PF. It was a really cool experience.

Falcon 900EX. The one thing that tripped me up was the crew environment. I'm used to do everything on my own so I was reaching for the gear, flaps, answering both the call and response part of the checklist, MCP, etc.

falcon_zps6yudsrgw.jpg

Welcome to the falcon. All the amazing flying characteristics of the plane you can forget about when you go to fly the crj. Dassault's wing is a feat of engineering, the CRJs on the other hand is not a feat at all.

Welcome to the falcon. All the amazing flying characteristics of the plane you can forget about when you go to fly the crj. Dassault's wing is a feat of engineering, the CRJs on the other hand is not a feat at all.
Any jet is fine with me! The sim was awesome though. Tomorrow we're doing a flight from SEA to PDX. We're going to cover high altitude stalls and upset prevention and recovery.

Any jet is fine with me! The sim was awesome though. Tomorrow we're doing a flight from SEA to PDX. We're going to cover high altitude stalls and upset prevention and recovery.
Should be fun. I have 3 more IPTs before sim time. But since nobody is in the SIM we do IPT in the sim. Just no motion. Its a fun experience for me so I know you'll like it too.

Sim was fun today. We departed SEA on the HAROB5 departure. Got up to FL330 and did an AP induced stall up to FL410, clicked off the AP and A/T and recovered. We lost about 3000 feet on the stall. After we got in the wake of a heavy 747 that rolled us and we had to recover followed by a terrain warning and an escape maneuver. We joined the KRATR2 arrival and let the AP follow all the step down fixes, crossing altitudes, and speed restrictions. Got vectors for the ILS 10L and shot the approach down to minimums. Since one of the guys flies the A10 in the ANG we decided to have some fun at the end and let him try a barrel roll. He did a nice job! Tomorrow is the last day and we're doing V1 cuts and wind shear escape. I can't wait to get to training in the CRJ.

Last day of CTP was today. Off for week then back to Minneapolis for airline training!

Passed the written today but didn't get the score I was hoping for. Only got an 86 but I'm glad it's over. Onto airline training on Monday!

Passing is passing, that's all that really matters. And for what it's worth, my guess is your class will be the first one awarded NYC 200 in training.

Passing is passing, that's all that really matters. And for what it's worth, my guess is your class will be the first one awarded NYC 200 in training.
True. I already know two guys in my class that want Detroit as a base and are older than me so I may actually get NYC. We'll see how big and what age the other classmates are.

Passed the written today but didn't get the score I was hoping for. Only got an 86 but I'm glad it's over. Onto airline training on Monday!
Since You have the job, would the airlines even care if you got a 70?

Since You have the job, would the airlines even care if you got a 70?
The instructors at CAE where I did my CTP course said they wouldn't care. As long as I passed, that's all that matters. 2/3 instructors were former check airmen at their airline.

True. I already know two guys in my class that want Detroit as a base and are older than me so I may actually get NYC. We'll see how big and what age the other classmates are.

Your class will be the first class after the vacancy to fill the 200 in NYC closes. It wouldn't surprise me to see the whole class get NYC either 200 or 900. Those were the only open FO positions in this vacancy.

Not saying you are wrong, but do you have a reference for that? I would think it would be similar to taking a commercial ride with only a third class medical, which is permitted. Moot point at any rate. The airline will require the First class anyway.

Greg, we are both right. The regulation is indeed that only a 3rd class medical is required. However, airlines as you know, have their own manuals and it is a requirement at mine to have a 1st class medical. Without thinking, I spouted out my airline's policy.

Bid for our bases/planes today and was told the 200 vacancies in NYC would not be available to us. Friday is the Indoc test.

I'm reading along with this thread and enjoying it!

I'd imagine you could get NYC placement pretty quickly even if not right out of training. Hope you get the base you want!

Bid for our bases/planes today and was told the 200 vacancies in NYC would not be available to us. Friday is the Indoc test.

Bummer. I would still suggest the 200 and bidding to NYC at your first chance vs the 900. You will get off reserve exponentially quicker on the 200 than the 900

Bid it as your #1 choice anyway. Never know what could happen. When I flew at ASA we had unlimited choices. Just be prepared to fly what you bid. Also there may be someone wanting out of NYC and maybe you could trade. This also was allowed at ASA but at pilot's expense, not the company's.

Back