Someone's going to be an airline pilot!

I got a call with 1300TT and 11 multi. The captain said I'll need to have 1500TT by the class date. I'm not sure how much sim time I can credit towards the 1500.

(6) Not more than 100 hours of the total aeronautical experience requirements of paragraph (a) of this section or §61.160 may be obtained in a full flight simulator or flight training device provided the device represents an airplane and the aeronautical experience was accomplished as part of an approved training course in parts 121, 135, 141, or 142 of this chapter.

and congratulations.

Yea I'm trying for the 900. We'll see what the age makeup of the class is. I probably won't have much of a choice.

I flew the 200, 700, and 900 at ASA. 200 is ok but the 700 and 900 are much better and can get a lot higher and perform better than the 200. You'll find that you might have an ok schedule on the 900 but might have a much better schedule on the 200, which is probably the most junior jet. It's all about seniority in the airlines.

Last edited:
Congrats, Jordan!
I am sure you'll be a terrific airline pilot.

I flew the 200, 700, and 900 at ASA. 200 is ok but the 700 and 900 are much better and can get a lot higher and perform than the 200. You'll find that you might have an ok schedule on the 900 but might have a much better schedule on the 200, which is probably the most junior jet. It's all about seniority in the airlines.
Yea the trips in the 900 will probably be a lot better.

(6) Not more than 100 hours of the total aeronautical experience requirements of paragraph (a) of this section or §61.160 may be obtained in a full flight simulator or flight training device provided the device represents an airplane and the aeronautical experience was accomplished as part of an approved training course in parts 121, 135, 141, or 142 of this chapter.

and congratulations.
Good to know. My school has a Redbird but we are a 61 school. We have 2 other 141 schools on the field and I'm sure they'll let me use their simulator.

Congrats! Yeah, the 900 rocks but the trusty old 200 is still fun to fly. I just spent the last couple of days flying around California in the 200 after finishing my 700/900 OOE (Other Operating Experience for the acronym followers!) I still enjoy the 200!

Loren

Congrats! Yeah, the 900 rocks but the trusty old 200 is still fun to fly. I just spent the last couple of days flying around California in the 200 after finishing my 700/900 OOE (Other Operating Experience for the acronym followers!) I still enjoy the 200!

Loren
Honestly I'll be happy in any plane. Just hoping for a NY base.

Congrats, I like hearing people come in behind me. Don't get to disappointed about getting the 200 if you do initially. The way things are going, you'll only have to wait probably 2-3 months after finishing training to be able to bid over to the 900. You can swap bases during training, but you can't swap airplanes until you finish OE.

In terms of quality of life, if you live in NYC, reserve in NYC is going to be better than commuting to a line, I would assume. Right now, the quickest way to a line is DTW 200, which someone just got less than 2 months off OE.

Congrats, I like hearing people come in behind me. Don't get to disappointed about getting the 200 if you do initially. The way things are going, you'll only have to wait probably 2-3 months after finishing training to be able to bid over to the 900. You can swap bases during training, but you can't swap airplanes until you finish OE.

In terms of quality of life, if you live in NYC, reserve in NYC is going to be better than commuting to a line, I would assume. Right now, the quickest way to a line is DTW 200, which someone just got less than 2 months off OE.
Yea my buddy started in October and got DTW out of training but just recently got NY. So even if I get DTW it will only be temporary.

Yea my buddy started in October and got DTW out of training but just recently got NY. So even if I get DTW it will only be temporary.

Yeah, I got MSP in training and was able to bid to DTW before I even got to the airplane. Thankfully I'm happy to "slum" it in the 200

Honestly I'll be happy in any plane. Just hoping for a NY base.

Good attitude! Fortunately you're a NYC kind of guy - that's a junior base at pretty much every airline out there. That'll be huge for your QOL.

Good attitude! Fortunately you're a NYC kind of guy - that's a junior base at pretty much every airline out there. That'll be huge for your QOL.

Believe it or not, at 9E, it takes longer to hold NYC than some of the other bases. That isn't helped by the fact that both LGA & JFK are 900 only, and right now all the growth is on the 200.

Believe it or not, at 9E, it takes longer to hold NYC than some of the other bases. That isn't helped by the fact that both LGA & JFK are 900 only, and right now all the growth is on the 200.

Really? I had no idea. It's certainly junior at the big 3. That's what I get for making assumptions!

Really? I had no idea. It's certainly junior at the big 3. That's what I get for making assumptions!

A lot of it has to do with fleet growth. With no 200's over there, there is no growth in NYC. So the only reason they add FO's is because people are either leaving or upgrading. In terms of junior base, DTW is probably the absolute junior base, but like has been said, there isn't a base/equipment combo you couldn't hold within 6 months.

Hopefully my class isn't filled with old dudes so I can have a fighting chance of getting NY:)

Really slow week at work. I have 1375TT. Doing an x country in the multi today. I'll probably have to do 2 more flights in the multi to get my 25 hours. Weather is starting to improve but it's been very windy the past couple of days. It should start to pick up again. I only flew about 65 hours this month.

Just remember, things change very quickly in the 121 world. Look at the mess that Republic is in now, the sucking sound there is going to be loud from the pilots bailing quicker than they ever have before.

Just remember, things change very quickly in the 121 world. Look at the mess that Republic is in now, the sucking sound there is going to be loud from the pilots bailing quicker than they ever have before.
Truth. My buddy is on his third week training with RAH. Word is 170/5s won't be touched? They'll get rid of the 145s?

Good to know. My school has a Redbird but we are a 61 school. We have 2 other 141 schools on the field and I'm sure they'll let me use their simulator.

If they are giving you your ATP rating then you'll do 25 hours in their simulator, so plan accordingly to have the required 25 multi engine land in actual

What RAH management wants and what the creditors want may be two different things. Creditors have the advantage here.

Last edited:
If they are giving you your ATP rating then you'll do 25 hours in their simulator, so plan accordingly to have the required 25 multi engine land in actual
Yep. Finishing up my 25 hours of multi this week weather permitting. Captain said don't get anymore than 25 hours.

Really slow week at work. I have 1375TT. Doing an x country in the multi today. I'll probably have to do 2 more flights in the multi to get my 25 hours. Weather is starting to improve but it's been very windy the past couple of days. It should start to pick up again. I only flew about 65 hours this month.

8 hour flights??

Yep. Finishing up my 25 hours of multi this week weather permitting. Captain said don't get anymore than 25 hours.

I'm curious, why would more multi time be detrimental? Or just unnecessary?

I don't think my students can swing that.

I didn't think so either. I was doing the math on your flight numbers to number of hours left. Ha. 3 flights (one plus the "two more" and 25 hours.

What'd I miss?

No need to spend more money than he needs to, in order to get the job.

That's what I figured. It just seemed odd the way he was instructed "no more than 25 hours," as if there was a problem that would arise if he showed up with more.

That's what I figured. It just seemed odd the way he was instructed "no more than 25 hours," as if there was a problem that would arise if he showed up with more.
Probably was more of a "don't bother" than "don't you dare!"

Back