Someone's going to be an airline pilot!

Discussion in 'Flight Following' started by jordane93, Feb 18, 2016.

1. KSCessnaDriver

KSCessnaDriver Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    KSCessnaDriver
    I've heard people talk about it, but if you know how to bid, it doesn't really make much of a difference what plane your on. Just as long as you enjoy where your at, that's all that matters. There's a chance I could get captain on this 16-06 vacancy, not sure if I really want to commute to NYC for it though.

2. jordane93

jordane93 Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Jordan
    Damn we could have flew together! I haven't looked at 16-06 yet. You wouldn't be able to hold DTW? The NY really worked out for me

3. Abram

Abram Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Abram
    That is what I keep telling her! I travel quite a bit for work now, so I am taking the position that it really won't be that different....

Of course, the reality is that it isn't about them missing me; it's about the need for me to help to get the kids to all of their activities!

Abram Finkelstein,
    N48KY

4. mscard88

mscard88 Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Mark
    They worry about the coke dispensers in the cabin too and you fooling around with them. :eek::)

Cpt_Kirk likes this.
  5. KSCessnaDriver

Display Name:

Display name:
    KSCessnaDriver
    There have been zero upgrades outside of DTW for about 6 months. Welcome to New York Endeavor, it's beyond stupid, had I known that this place was going to go that route when I came, I probably wouldn't have been here. Now I'm commuting to DTW, as I've moved, but its just a drive. A drive + 2 leg to NYC seems not much fun at all.

6. JOhnH

JOhnH Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Spun Out
    Thanks. I wasn't trying to be a dick. My post was mostly tongue-in-cheek. I didn't think it would get a bunch of panties all twisted up. (Now that was me being a dick)

Jeez; some people are really uptight. Maybe we need a "safe space" here.

7. mscard88

Display Name:

Display name:
    Mark
    Nah, it's just POA. Another day. lol

8. jaybee

jaybee Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    jaybee
    Might want to up your sarcasm game then it's pretty weaksauce

9. JoseCuervo

JoseCuervo En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    JoseCuervo

Not sure what was funny' sarcastic, amusing, entertaining, or tongue in cheek.

Hopefully you got entertained by your comment, and enjoyed your accomplishment.

10. jordane93

jordane93 Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Jordan
    FTD's and sims scheduled. I'll be in MSP the 7th-12th if anyone is around for a drink!

11. jordane93

jordane93 Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Jordan
    Passed differences Maneuvers Validation today. I was originally set for yesterday at 5pm but instructor called in sick so I took it at 5am today and passed. Check airman only took about 20 minutes to brief me because I was the only one doing the maneuvers. I had a Captain/sim instructor sit as my seat support. Got into the sim and did my PM first flight of the day checks. There are lot less FFOD items and the overhead panel is simplified compared to the 200. Everything took place out of JFK. We started off with a low visibility/cross wind takeoff. Pretty straight forward and climbed up to 10000 where I was asked to slow to slowest practical speed. Below 15K we can slow down to Vref + 10 for given flap setting and weight. He set me up for a clean stall. Recovered and got vectors for the ILS 13L. Winds were right down the runway and it was OVC001. CATII was straight forward and we ended going missed and did the published hold. We got repositioned to 13L where we did a rejected takeoff due to a left thrust reverser unlocked caution message. Next came the V1 cut. It was a right engine fire. We ran the checklists and QRH and set up for a hand flown single engine ILS 13L with a cross wind from the right. After, we got our second engine back and did a two engine RNAV 22L. That completed the checkride and we did spot training on a zero flap/visual approach. Got done with everything at 715am and the sun wasn't even up yet! We debriefed and the check airman said I could have leveled the wings earlier in the stall as he gave a turn into the stall. V1 cut was within limits but I drifted slightly to the right and delayed my rotation a little too much for his liking. He said landings were awesome and they were above average from what he's seen. I have 2 days off now and then 6 legs of OE. Looking forward to flying the CRJ heavy!

Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
  12. jaybee

jaybee Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    jaybee
    Awesome, good job.

13. mscard88

Display Name:

Display name:
    Mark
    Congrats! I guarantee you'll enjoy the 700/900 birds, if you have both. Big difference from the 200. Enjoy!

jordane93 likes this.
  14. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    ChemGuy
    Congrats.
    Whats upgrade time like now there?

15. jordane93

jordane93 Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Jordan
    Basically as soon as you hit 1000 hours of company time. If they can't fill the vacancies they'll pick guys with previous 121/135/91K.

16. kayoh190

kayoh190 Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    Kayoh@190
    Cool! Will you be able to upgrade right into your NYC base?

17. jordane93

jordane93 Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Jordan
    When that time comes I assume so. Nobody wants to go to NYC. I'll take it! Upgrade is still a long ways away but still trying to learn as much as I can because I know it will sooner than I think.

18. KSCessnaDriver

Display Name:

Display name:
    KSCessnaDriver
    Right now you can have any base you want at Endeavor, as long as it's New York

19. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    ChemGuy
    Cool. So upgrade the end of 17 or early 18 then? Then start applying to the big boys, or go straight to brand B or A jets w/o upgrading?

20. jordane93

jordane93 Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Jordan
    If I actually pick up open time and not work only 15 days s month I could upgrade by the end of 17 assuming vacancies are open. Haha not even close to moving on to another airline. I only have like 2K hours and 300 of that is in the CRJ. Majors are looking for at least 4K TT and at least 1000 jet PIC

21. KSCessnaDriver

Display Name:

Display name:
    KSCessnaDriver
    4K and 1000 TPIC? In what world? There are people getting picked up from regionals to majors with zero TPIC. Then there are guys with thousands of hours of TPIC who can't get a call. Right now it seems like you have to be able to check the management/checkairman/instructor box.

22. Tarheelpilot

Tarheelpilot Ejection Handle Pulled

Display Name:

Display name:
    Tarheelpilot
    The three G's

23. jordane93

jordane93 Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Jordan
    Bare minimums are around 4K and 1000 PIC. There will always be exceptions.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
  24. KSCessnaDriver

Display Name:

Display name:
    KSCessnaDriver
    Bare minimums? According to who? Dear old dad? Sorry man, I know there have been multiple people picked up way under 4K total time at Delta, with zero total time...

The 1000 TPIC thing is dead, only place you have to have it is UPS/SWA at this point.

25. jordane93

jordane93 Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Jordan
    Don't pop a blood vessel. Relax dude. I know you like to pick apart everything I type on here and it's getting annoying.

26. KSCessnaDriver

Display Name:

Display name:
    KSCessnaDriver
    I'm not, but you need to get your info from somewhere outside the family man... Spend some time on APC

27. jordane93

jordane93 Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Jordan
    You just made a false assumption:thumbsup:. Cool.

28. rsleeds

rsleeds Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    RSLeeds
    There recently was the discussion comparing Jordan's thread and journey to Loren's. Both are awesome because both of these guys - no matter the differences in their life stages and their career paths forward - are absolutely loving life and have such great attitudes about what everyday brings.

Having KSCessnaDriver's consistently negative outlook on everything about his career is a good counterpoint for those considering following all of these guys into the career. Like all things in life, what's garbage to one is treasure to another.

JoseCuervo and jaybee like this.
  29. kayoh190

kayoh190 Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    Kayoh@190
    I don't know squat about Delta, but our off the street hiring numbers are still pretty stout. Last email I saw had the class average well above 8K (and I assume it's actually more for the civilians, since the military guys drag the average down), with everyone coming out of the left seat somewhere. We all know people that get on with far less, or from 91 only, or without the degree, or with a DUI, but I still don't think we're at the point where this is the norm.

Besides, for Jordan, why does this matter? He wants to live in NYC and doesn't have (as far as I know!) a woman or kids at home to make QOL factor into the decision. Might as well take the soonest upgrade available. If Delta calls in 2 years or 10, who cares? The thing about this airline seniority thing is that we really don't control squat, so there's no sense in getting all worked up about stuff.

My advice to you damned whippersnappers (sheesh, I still have a couple of years to 40, and I'm sounding like an old man) is to remember to have fun, keep the shiny side up, and try not to knock up any flight attendants. :)

KSCessnaDriver likes this.
  30. hawk25u

hawk25u Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    Jim
    Timing...getting hired by the majors is all about timing. I retired 10 years ago when I hit 60, 8 months before they raised the mandatory age to 65, and the previous 20 years flying taught me that having your resume cross the right persons desk at the right time when they are looking for someone with your qualifications is what it is all about. The hiring at the majors goes in cycles. One airline may be hiring when others are not. Another item they sometimes look at is your age. If they hire you how many will they have retiring at the same time in years to come? Most do like to see 1000 PIC in a 135, 121 or 91K as that is about a year of flying so it would include both winter & summer with the problems involved with the seasons. There are many factors involved with getting a call for an interview. Many majors require a college degree. As one HR lady told me this shows you have the capability of learning and to them it is a cut off point. She said they have so many resumes that they added that to trim down the number for consideration. Remember, this is from years ago things do change fast in this industry.

31. KSCessnaDriver

Display Name:

Display name:
    KSCessnaDriver
    I'm not saying jordan is wrong, but the realities of this job are vastly different when you're a 23-25 year old fresh from CFIing guy to having bounced around between jobs and not even having jobs really available when you graduated from college.

I just bypassed the left seat, because I'm not sitting reserve in NYC. When it gets to where I might be a line holder, the situation might change. And the situation would be different if regional FO's still made jack-all for pay. But considering I'm going to clear north of 70K, I'm doing alright.

32. KSCessnaDriver

Display Name:

Display name:
    KSCessnaDriver
    I wouldn't call it negative, you should come to work and see some of the guys I work with. I'd call it a realistic outlook on where I'm at and what I need to do to move on. Unfortunately this business has turned into one that isn't about skills or length of being someplace, but nepotism and ability to check the correct minority/sex boxes on an application.

33. denverpilot

denverpilot Taxi to Parking

Display Name:

Display name:
    DenverPilot
    Smartest thing I've ever read about it here.

Throw in that nobody on the line has any control over the corporate merger and bankruptcy shenanigans either, and you've pretty much got it covered.

Some of the folks I went to school with got SO screwed by furloughs and company mergers and such back in the 90s... after they survived a far worse regional scene back then, and had really awful life changing stuff.

Some recovered and flew again, some never did, some liked the whole process, most got real cynical but kept their mouths shut and flew the planes, whoever's logo was on the tail this month.

Most who survive seem to just enjoy the flying as much as they can, and they don't expect a whole hell of a lot from the company... doesn't really matter which company it is.

Bid what ya want, after a long time you'll always get it, and like the man says, try not to knock up anyone or be knocked up, depending on gender.

Another odd but real plus the military folks seem to have that's not obvious at first, is they AND their families are much more used to picking up the house and moving everything and everyone, whenever necessary, without nearly as much whining about it from family. The guy I know who's been flying since he was a kid, did the AF thing, and is really stable and happy at UA, in his 50s... his duty stations read like a travel guide to the world. He'd pick up and move tomorrow again if he had to. He's also a serious cheapskate, so we get along well. Heh. He has money habits that make sure he's never worried about paycheck to paycheck, he had quite enough of that in the AF and after, he's well "over it". His family are just awesome people too.

Another just hit all the timing right. Flew for a major-owned regional back when that was a thing, and you got seniority at a slower rate at main line flying for the regional, hit all the right timing to upgrade regularly, now putting around in the 787 and finally did a Captain upgrade... didn't do it forever because it would have meant crappy schedule. Now just a few years from retirement. Guy never held a single crappy flying job, ever.

One, started having health issues while flying for a big regional. Let that get into his head and started busting checkrides. Quit the whole biz before it got bad. Had major surgery and multiple car wrecks (not his fault) which messed him up even more. He doesn't even fly GA anymore.

You just can't tell what life is going to throw at you, and sometimes it's a hardball, sometimes it's a softball, and sometimes the pitching machine beans you in the head and cracks your skull.

All three of those people are HAPPY, and I think there is the real key... happy is a choice. Or at least not whining and depressed. Except for the guy who had to quit completely (and he's fine with that), you've got a better view from your "office" than most folks. Execs in many office jobs would literally kill to have a window with a view.

I'll get my instructor stuff done and then find a few students and I'll be in my "happy place"... already am, really, but new stuff is always fun too. May have to keep a little private notebook on how many times they try to kill me... heh. Masochist. I guess.

kayoh190 likes this.
  34. Greg Bockelman

Greg Bockelman Administrator Management Council Member

Display Name:

Display name:
    Greg Bockelman
    Nate, do you ever write a short post? LOL

JoseCuervo, farmerbrake and mscard88 like this.
  35. mscard88

Display Name:

Display name:
    Mark
    Wait until he writes out his lesson plans for his students! ;):)

36. Greg Bockelman

Greg Bockelman Administrator Management Council Member

Display Name:

Display name:
    Greg Bockelman
  37. Catalo

Catalo Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Catalo
    With a few more posts he'll have a part 141 tco ready for faa approval

38. denverpilot

Display Name:

Display name:
    DenverPilot
    Yep. They were that bad. On drafts one, and two... hahaha. Could have been textbooks.

mscard88 likes this.
  39. denverpilot

Display Name:

Display name:
    DenverPilot
    Never know. Maybe I'd be that stupid with my money. Maybe someone else can buy the airplanes and pay the bills and I'll just write for them. Haha.

Catalo likes this.