Someone's going to be an airline pilot!

I didn't think so either. I was doing the math on your flight numbers to number of hours left. Ha. 3 flights (one plus the "two more" and 25 hours.

What'd I miss?
Sorry. Long day yesterday. I get what you're saying.

I'm just over 1400 now. Still got 2 months to get 1500. I was supposed to fly the multi yesterday but the left alternator failed. I'm back on the schedule for Thursday and Sunday. I really can't swing more than 25 hours. I'm spending about 400-800 each flight depending on how long we fly. Recruiter says don't bother with more than 25.

Well I flew a crap ton of hours in the past week and I just eclipsed 1450. Between scheduling issues, maintenance, and weather, I finally was able to finish off my multi time and can now just finish up my 50 hours. I'm going to try to get an earlier class and CTP date. Hopefully they'll still have openings in April!

Well I flew a crap ton of hours in the past week and I just eclipsed 1450. Between scheduling issues, maintenance, and weather, I finally was able to finish off my multi time and can now just finish up my 50 hours. I'm going to try to get an earlier class and CTP date. Hopefully they'll still have openings in April!
You're flying along. Is there a reason you didn't do the ATP knowledge exam prior to Aug 14? I had friends do it and they didn't get near 1500TT, but you still have some months of breathing room had you took it.

You're flying along. Is there a reason you didn't do the ATP knowledge exam prior to Aug 14? I had friends do it and they didn't get near 1500TT, but you still have some months of breathing room had you took it.
I got my CFI last April and didn't think I would make 1500 this quick so I didn't bother with the written. Dumb move on my part:mad:

I got my CFI last April and didn't think I would make 1500 this quick so I didn't bother with the written. Dumb move on my part:mad:
You'll have fun in whatever sim you use A320? So there's that. A taste of a real plane before the CL65. Jk, you'll have fun and learn some cool things I'm guessing.

You'll have fun in whatever sim you use A320? So there's that. A taste of a real plane before the CL65. Jk, you'll have fun and learn some cool things I'm guessing.
Yea they're sending me to Dallas CAE for the CTP. They said I could be in any plane. Could be a Gulfstream, could be a Lear.

Yea they're sending me to Dallas CAE for the CTP. They said I could be in any plane. Could be a Gulfstream, could be a Lear.
I hope they don't put you in a Lear due to size. G450/550 would be nice. Fly a rocketship then fly a CRJ

I thought the sim had to duplicate an airplane above a certain max gross weight. I doubt any Lear would qualify. I forget what the weight is but I remember the CE-680 wasn't heavy enough.

I thought the sim had to duplicate an airplane above a certain max gross weight. I doubt any Lear would qualify. I forget what the weight is but I remember the CE-680 wasn't heavy enough.
This is interesting. I am curious to know the weight requirement.

This is interesting. I am curious to know the weight requirement.
I was curious enough to look it up.

§61.156 Training requirements: Airplane category—multiengine class rating or airplane type rating concurrently with airline transport pilot certificate.

After July 31, 2014, a person who applies for the knowledge test for an airline transport pilot certificate with an airplane category multiengine class rating must present a graduation certificate from an authorized training provider under part 121, 135, 141, or 142 of this chapter certifying the applicant has completed the following training in a course approved by the Administrator.

>snip<

(b) FSTD training. The applicant for the knowledge test must receive at least 10 hours of training in a flight simulation training device qualified under part 60 of this chapter that represents a multiengine turbine airplane. The training must include the following:
(1) At least 6 hours of training in a Level C or higher full flight simulator qualified under part 60 of this chapter that represents a multiengine turbine airplane with a maximum takeoff weight of 40,000 pounds or greater. The training must include the following areas:
(i) Low energy states/stalls;
(ii) Upset recovery techniques; and
(iii) Adverse weather conditions, including icing, thunderstorms, and crosswinds with gusts.

Essentially a 3 hour a day average. Wow. [Edit: Seven days a week.]
I was working about 6.5 days per week. Sundays I took off until the afternoon. I totaled up yesterday and I'm at 1484. Flying about 6 hours today.

Last edited:
Yeah, that's hard core. But it paid off!

Yeah, that's hard core. But it paid off!
For sure! April will be my first year as a CFI. I've only signed off 4 people though but all passed on the first try. I've got 1 more that's ready and 2 that are very close.

Did they have an April date for you or are you still on the same scheduled timeline?

I liked reading this thread. Congrats!

Did they have an April date for you or are you still on the same scheduled timeline?

I liked reading this thread. Congrats!
They had a few April class dates but I didn't think I'd get 1500 by then. So I chose the May class date. I'm calling today to see if they still an April class available. I still have to do the CTP course and pass the written before I get to class so it might be close.

They had a few April class dates but I didn't think I'd get 1500 by then. So I chose the May class date. I'm calling today to see if they still an April class available. I still have to do the CTP course and pass the written before I get to class so it might be close.

Gotcha. I suppose at this point it might not make that much of a difference. You should think about starting an "Airline Training" thread. I'd love to read about that experience.

Gotcha. I suppose at this point it might not make that much of a difference. You should think about starting an "Airline Training" thread. I'd love to read about that experience.

A month of seniority is going to be 60 or so spots lower on the list. Might not make much of a difference now, but down the road it could be the difference between getting furloughed or not or staying a captain versus being downgraded.

A month of seniority is going to be 60 or so spots lower on the list. Might not make much of a difference now, but down the road it could be the difference between getting furloughed or not or staying a captain versus being downgraded.
Exactly which is why I'll try to see about getting an earlier class date.

Exactly which is why I'll try to see about getting an earlier class date.

I'm amazed at the numbers of people behind me already, and I started in November. I know that each month so far in 2016 has had nearly 60 in class. I've probably got 200 people behind me on the list already, in less than 6 months, which is hard to complain about.

Congrats on this!!!!

Fun to see someone lay out a career path, and then chase it.

Logged hour 1490 and snapped a great shot. 10 more to go!

cirrussun_zpsev6m6fuz.jpg

I'm amazed at the numbers of people behind me already, and I started in November. I know that each month so far in 2016 has had nearly 60 in class. I've probably got 200 people behind me on the list already, in less than 6 months, which is hard to complain about.

I celebrated a year late February and just bid for April at 41%. A decade ago one of my Captains sat at 99% for two years with no movement.

So i submitted my request in writing for an earlier CTP and class date. I'll see what they have available.

Damn - I better get a LGA overnight soon so I can buy you that beer!

Back