Someone's going to be an airline pilot!

And honestly, as a young guy without a family needing you home, you might find the crash pad thing with a bunch of other pilots to be more fun than you'd think.

I think the HoJo is about 45 bucks a night in DTW. Don't really know any crashpad prices other than what guys told me, I never looked, living right here in DTW.

Can you guys commute day of as long as you try for a certain number of flights?

You can commute in during your call out period, as long as the company knows you are doing it. In terms of actual commuter clauses in the contract, there isn't really one. There is a company call in honest policy of having 2 chances to make it to base, then they'll work with you to do something.

I'm not real sure on how it all works, living in base you kind of ignore that stuff.

I'm not real sure on how it all works, living in base you kind of ignore that stuff.
That's the best thing. Not many cities I'd move to so that I could live in base however. Commuting would be difficult and I admire the determination of anyone doing it. Living in Detroit or almost any city would be worse so I don't know what I would do.

Of course I have to post a picture of myself in front of our plane

9e_zpspkneco1x.jpg

900 is nice, but embrace the 200...you'll probably spend more time in it early on! Congrats on your Indoc. Now the fun begins!

900 is nice, but embrace the 200...you'll probably spend more time in it early on! Congrats on your Indoc. Now the fun begins!

Loren, we don't fly both. Its one or the other, each is a separate pilot group, which requires a differences ground and sim course. Speaking of that, how's DTW opening for you guys going to effect you in MSP?

Congrats, now spend this weekend relaxing. You literally have nothing to study, and it's the last weekend where that's the case.
Yep! Didn't really do much this weekend but relax and read a little more of the FOM. Tomorrow starts General Subjects.

Took 2 more tests today but they were open book. We'll have our final 50 question exam on General Subjects next Monday. After that will be systems which I hear is the hardest exam. For luggage I've decided on the Luggageworks 22" Stealth and some instructors gave us links to cheapo flight cases because we are supposed to get EFBs within a year. Looks like half of my paycheck will go to these items as well as a Telex 850 headset which a lot of the guys seem to like because it's relatively inexpensive, small, and has ANR but doesn't require batteries!

Doesn't the airline provide headsets there? Save some money and use theirs.

Uniforms are another big expense in your near future...

Uniforms are another big expense in your near future...
As new hires we get uniforms half paid for and every year we get either 240 or 250 I don't remember towards new uniforms. Hat was optional but I elected to get it because our Chief Pilot likes us to wear it and Delta wants us to wear it. Why not? Plus if I'm going to go 90% with a uniform, why not complete it with the hat. The new CEO of Delta is coming in tomorrow so that's pretty exciting.

As new hires we get uniforms half paid for and every year we get either 240 or 250 I don't remember towards new uniforms. Hat was optional but I elected to get it because our Chief Pilot likes us to wear it and Delta wants us to wear it. Why not? Plus if I'm going to go 90% with a uniform, why not complete it with the hat. The new CEO of Delta is coming in tomorrow so that's pretty exciting.
Very nice they pay half!!! The hat is your choice, but you will find most colleagues in the terminal will be hatless.

I don't think that typically works if you are on reserve. Usually for the reserve days you have to be within so many minutes/hours of base which makes commuting difficult.

Very nice they pay half!!! The hat is your choice, but you will find most colleagues in the terminal will be hatless.
Yea that was one big expense they helped pay for. I figured since my boss wants me to wear the hat (even though it's optional) and the boss that I'd like to work for in the future makes his pilot's wear the hat, I'll play along. I want to look the part and if Delta says so, I'll do it.

Referencing Feerless' post:
Exactly right, at least for our airline. I suppose if you tried two flights the day PRIOR to reserve duty that *might* work. Still, a guy on reserve is likely still on probation (at least at the regionals).

There are several types of reserve which I'm still not very familiar with. Some have very short call outs and some they'll give you a few hours to report. The longest call if I'm not mistaken (KSCessnaDriver correct me if I'm wrong) is a 2 hour call out. Since I'm in NY and I'm based in DTW that would be impossible for me to commute day of unless my reserve starts at let's say noon and I catch a flight out there in the morning. Again still not sure of how everything works.

There are several types of reserve which I'm still not very familiar with. Some have very short call outs and some they'll give you a few hours to report. The longest call if I'm not mistaken (KSCessnaDriver correct me if I'm wrong) is a 2 hour call out. Since I'm in NY and I'm based in DTW that would be impossible for me to commute day of unless my reserve starts at let's say noon and I catch a flight out there in the morning. Again still not sure of how everything works.
Jordan, we have a few different reserves as well. Long call is a 12 hour report. Usually doable for a commute, but there is a "dark zone". If you get called around 6 pm for a 6 am report, can you get to the airport and reasonably have a couple flights that get you there in time?? Usually not.

I don't think that typically works if you are on reserve. Usually for the reserve days you have to be within so many minutes/hours of base which makes commuting difficult.
I forgot that pilots have to be on reserve. It all makes sense to me now.

2 types of reserve, home reserve (which is either 1:45 or 2:00, depending on the base) and airport reserve, where as the name implies, you sit at the airport. 3 different reserve times, P1 P2 and P3, all start at different times, but are basically morning, mid-day and evening reserve. Commuting to P1 reserve on your first day of work, probably isn't going to happen. P2 and P3, are probably commutable on the first day of the reserve stretch you get. Per a recent LOA, you are able to commute in during the call out period on the first day of reserve. P2 is generally a 1000 start (local time), so say you are commuting to DTW, as long as the flight was scheduled to be into DTW by 1145 (when you would be first expected to have arrived at the airport from a call on reserve), you would be fine, as long as you let crew scheduling know that you are doing such a thing.

*This is all how I understand it to be, as a non-commuter, so don't take my word as 100% correct* Talk to some guys who do commute for the truth on the whole thing.

Jordan, we have a few different reserves as well. Long call is a 12 hour report. Usually doable for a commute, but there is a "dark zone". If you get called around 6 pm for a 6 am report, can you get to the airport and reasonably have a couple flights that get you there in time?? Usually not.

No long call for us, only short and ready reserve.

Sure it does, you just commute in and make it there by the time you are responsible to answer the phone, if you are short call/airport reserve. Have a crash pad, problem solved.

Jordan, on a side note, in the next several weeks you are going to learn why airline guys talk about procedures and standardization. That is truly why 121 ops are safer than GA. Many here may take issue with that, but you will soon see the wisdom of that.
That's not to say most here are not capable of that, but just saying they haven't gone through the training.
2 types of reserve, home reserve (which is either 1:45 or 2:00, depending on the base) and airport reserve, where as the name implies, you sit at the airport. 3 different reserve times, P1 P2 and P3, all start at different times, but are basically morning, mid-day and evening reserve. Commuting to P1 reserve on your first day of work, probably isn't going to happen. P2 and P3, are probably commutable on the first day of the reserve stretch you get. Per a recent LOA, you are able to commute in during the call out period on the first day of reserve. P2 is generally a 1000 start (local time), so say you are commuting to DTW, as long as the flight was scheduled to be into DTW by 1145 (when you would be first expected to have arrived at the airport from a call on reserve), you would be fine, as long as you let crew scheduling know that you are doing such a thing.

*This is all how I understand it to be, as a non-commuter, so don't take my word as 100% correct* Talk to some guys who do commute for the truth on the whole thing.

You have crappy reserve rules.

Does anyone know where TSA sends new hires for the ATP-CTP course?

Congrats to Jordan93 on your successful ATP-CTP course and results. Good luck with the CL65!

I don't think the TSA is involved in that whatsoever.

They will do a background check for new hire KCM badges, but that has zero bearing on your pilot certificate.

Not the TSA, Trans States Airlines....?

Nope. We have to provide our own. I would use the aircraft headset if it was available.

Wow. This is Endeavor correct? Company requires pilots to wear headsets but doesn't supply them. That's not right.

I hated the hat. When we changed our name from ASA to ExpressJet we went from silver to gold to match the other airline (ExpressJet) that we merged with. Company realized what it would cost to replace hats and made the hat optional, cheap bastards :p. If one wanted to wear a hat one paid for it. Not too many did. Company provided our 'gold' belts and 'gold' wings at company expense.

Last edited:
Hats are optional for us too. I don't wear mine - I'm tall and skinny as it is, I think the hat will just make me look more like a complete dips***t than I already do. Heh! :)

Generally it's just the older guys that wear the hat around my airline. That and the long sleeved shirts.

Does anyone know where TSA sends new hires for the ATP-CTP course?

Congrats to Jordan93 on your successful ATP-CTP course and results. Good luck with the CL65!
We were sent to Dallas CAE. Not sure where you are going to be sent.

Back