Someone's going to be an airline pilot!

Only got a 90 on my systems exam but I'm glad I passed and it's over. Done with my first airline ground school! I'm heading home tomorrow and will come back to MSP on the June 4 for FTDs.

Only got a 90 on my systems exam but I'm glad I passed and it's over. Done with my first airline ground school! I'm heading home tomorrow and will come back to MSP on the June 4 for FTDs.

What are FTDs?

Flight Training Device. anything from a wood and paper mock up to a non motion simulator with working lights, buttons, and screens. It is used to learn flows, procedures and call outs. saves a lot of time and money in the box.

bob

Flight Training Device. anything from a wood and paper mock up to a non motion simulator with working lights, buttons, and screens. It is used to learn flows, procedures and call outs. saves a lot of time and money in the box.

bob
I wish I could do PV on an actual sim. For me to learn it the best I need to feel the actual button, switch or knob. Apparently our FTDs are touch screen panels.

I wish I could do PV on an actual sim. For me to learn it the best I need to feel the actual button, switch or knob. Apparently our FTDs are touch screen panels.
Congrats on finishing ground training, Jordan.

Before I started my FTD's, I had the paper tiger set up in my kitchen. The main panel was held up by tucking it in the oven door, the overhead panel held by tucking in the overhead microwave, and the pedastel was on a trunk between two kitchen chairs that faced this contraption. It worked. Flows were nailed by first FTD.

Congrats on finishing ground training, Jordan.

Before I started my FTD's, I had the paper tiger set up in my kitchen. The main panel was held up by tucking it in the oven door, the overhead panel held by tucking in the overhead microwave, and the pedastel was on a trunk between two kitchen chairs that faced this contraption. It worked. Flows were nailed by first FTD.
Yea chair flying is the way to do it. We have just one giant panels not several separate ones. I'm making my dad chair fly with me too because he never works!

Since we were treated like customers and the sim wasn't overbooked for days we got to all of our IPTs (FTDs) in the SIM. By Sim session #1 we had been in the sim 6 times already. Additionally, my sim partner had more experience than me with the Honeywell EASY2 avionics. We both knew what we were doing needless to say. By sim 4 of 9 they said we were ready for the ride.

Jordane, quick question: when you interviewed, how much time did they give you to reach 1500 before your class date?

So you could have taken as much as 6 months to reach 1500?
Yep. If you get your hours in earlier just give them a call and they'll try to put you in an earlier class if they have a spot available. I moved my class date up by 2 weeks it ended up putting me about 30 numbers senior.

Yep. If you get your hours in earlier just give them a call and they'll try to put you in an earlier class if they have a spot available. I moved my class date up by 2 weeks it ended up putting me about 30 numbers senior.
Dang, that is tempting. I'm at 1000 TT now with almost 500 ME. I have all the night/IMC/x-country wickets done. I've been told I can interview now and need 450 hrs before showing up for training. I was crunching numbers and I could fly that much in less than 6 months for about the same cost as it would take to do an accelerated CFI/I/MEI program.

I'm just wondering if I'd be less desirable from a hiring standpoint showing up with that much personal flight time?

Dang, that is tempting. I'm at 1000 TT now with almost 500 ME. I have all the night/IMC/x-country wickets done. I've been told I can interview now and need 450 hrs before showing up for training. I was crunching numbers and I could fly that much in less than 6 months for about the same cost as it would take to do an accelerated CFI/I/MEI program.

I'm just wondering if I'd be less desirable from a hiring standpoint showing up with that much personal flight time?
Hours are hours. They don't care as long as you meet their minimums. Go for it man! They want to hire people.

Your time may be personal time, but night ME IFR time is high quality time.

One more week until I go back for FTDs. Lots of flows, procedures, and call outs!

image9_zpsgfmchqhb.jpg

Theres more to it than;
PF: "We've got a plane full of pax, 1/2 a tank of gas, its night/IMC and we're wearing sunglasses."
PNF: "Hit it"
You left out:
"Kick the tires and light the fires."

My dad got a trip to Dominican Republic and he called his Chief Pilot to see if I could ride in the jump seat but no can do. I guess I'll have plenty of opportunities to ride in the jump seat

Does your Dad do any domestic flying? Not sure there's any way to offline jumpseat on international trips.

Does your Dad do any domestic flying? Not sure there's any way to offline jumpseat on international trips.
I'd say he does about 50/50 between Caribbean and domestic. Yea I don't think so either. I'm pretty sure only our pilots can jump seat international (only Canada:)) on our planes. My dad said he'll show show me how little a CA actually does.:D

Pictures as promised. I got to make 2 PAs. One when we in cruise and one when we began the initial descent. It was also a good time to test out my new Telex 850 headset which sounded great.

Dad finishing up last minute paperwork in JFK

737_zpsoty43fzt.jpg

Quick taxi out to JFK. We had to hold our position and call up ground for some FOD on the taxiway. The HUD on the top left was also pretty cool

7372_zpsnr7hljpf.jpg

Deviating around some storms around Denver

7373_zpsbbu67faz.jpg

7374_zpsuklkyqtx.jpg

Friggin' cool! That's awesome that you got to fly with your old man.

Hmmm.... Don't mean to sound like a fuddy-duddy, but I may think twice about posting about touching anything in the cockpit, including the pa inter phone. Probably being over cautious, but that's my nature....

Hmmm.... Don't mean to sound like a fuddy-duddy, but I may think twice about posting about touching anything in the cockpit, including the pa inter phone. Probably being over cautious, but that's my nature....
But I didn't break anything:D

I got to make 2 PAs. One when we in cruise and one when we began the initial descent. It was also a good time to test out my new Telex 850 headset which sounded great.
I hope you remembered to pause with a few "ahhhhhhhhhh......s" in there. If not back to ground school. :)

I agree. If someone complained (like the FO over there) or a passenger to the company, your dad could be called on the carpet. Just saying, his ship, his decision.

Meh - on the off chance someone bitched, I'd bet Dad would be willing to chat with his chief in exchange for sharing the moment with his kid. But I do agree, my comfort level with coloring outside the lines depends on how tightly I can control who knows about it. ;)

I did my two jumpseat observation flights today on the CRJ200. Being 5' 6", the CRJ is the perfect size for me! Both crews were very friendly and accommodating. I did DTW-AZO-DTW. They were very quick flights so I didn't have time to ask a lot of questions. It was cool to see the flows and procedures I have been practicing put into real life. They were very quick and efficient. I got a call from training scheduling a few hours ago and they had moved our FTDs starting from tomorrow (Saturday) to Monday. I checked the rest of my schedule and they put my 5th PT lesson on Friday and my PV on Saturday. Problem is, Saturday is my sister's wedding. Everything was pushed back because our sim instructor was needed to be a seat support for an LOE. I had requested off these days the first day of training and was assured I'd get these days off. I was able to get in touch with scheduling and they told me someone would be in tomorrow to rearrange the schedule. My sim partner and I were on the same flight from DTW-MSP after our jump seat flights and we were able to meet up with class mates from the CRJ900 for some beer and wings. it was a much needed break as I had been up since 530am. I'll be going back home first thing tomorrow morning and flying back Sunday late afternoon for a 700am PT on Monday. So much for a relaxing weekend!

Must have just missed you in DTW today, I did 2 turns today. Good luck going forward.

Nice... I had to do four observation flights. Jmo, but that was 10 hrs of my life I will never get back. Learned ZERO.

Nice... I had to do four observation flights. Jmo, but that was 10 hrs of my life I will never get back. Learned ZERO.
Yea for me it was just nice to see the actual buttons, switches, knobs etc and all the flows and checklists in use.

I agree. If someone complained (like the FO over there) or a passenger to the company, your dad could be called on the carpet. Just saying, his ship, his decision.

My understanding is a jumpseater can be considered essentially an auxillary crewmember, so I'm guessing the CA was within his rights to delegate a task he thought appropriate.

I've picked up a number of little tips and trips doing observation flights. Never considered any of them a waste of time.

In this case JS is not an employee of the Co but a special approval guest. Co was doing this Capt a favor by allowing his son to ride along. Myself I wouldn't have allowed him to make PAs, but that's me. I saw lesser things get folks in hot water during my 24 years at ASA. But when you're a Capt you can do what you want and deal with any consequences. Also remember, everything in that cockpit is recorded.

Last edited:
Back