Someone's going to be an airline pilot!

In this case JS is not an employee of the Co but a special approval guest. Co was doing this Capt a favor by allowing his son to ride along. Myself I wouldn't have allowed it, but that's me. I saw lesser things get folks in hot water during my 24 years at ASA. But when you're a Capt you can do what you want and deal with any consequences. Also remember, everything in that cockpit is recorded.
I assume he is now in CASS, and jumpseated through proper protocal.

Co was doing this Capt a favor by allowing his son to ride along.
Not quite true. The compnay was not "doing this Captain a favor." The jumpseat is a privilege spelled out in the CFRs, and CBAs. There have been many battles fought (and won) when a company tries to quash "Captain's authority" when it comes to who can and can not ride the jumpseat. The moment we start thinking that it's the company's jumpseat and the benevolent company is doing us the favor of allowing us to take jumpseaters is the moment we take a step down a slippery slope of losing or at least weakening Captain's authority.

I am CASS approved. I don't think they would be able to let me jump seat if I wasn't
Just be aware, that CASS let you sit in the cockpit. CASS doesn't control whether you can jumpseat or not. Just realize going forward, that your company may experience a CASS outage where they (for some reason) can't send the CASS data out. You can still "jumpseat," but you'd need to ride in the back. This has happened at my airline a couple of times due to both scheduled and unscheduled outages. The tricky part is getting a gate agent that understands that CASS doesn't determine whether or not you can jumpseat, just whether or not you can ride in front.

Nice... I had to do four observation flights. Jmo, but that was 10 hrs of my life I will never get back. Learned ZERO.
same here, i think for a first time airline pilot it is a benefit, but for someone with 121 time its just a new airplane and some new flows.

bob

same here, i think for a first time airline pilot it is a benefit, but for someone with 121 time its just a new airplane and some new flows.

Does anyone require observation flights for pilots with previous 121 experience?

Does anyone require observation flights for pilots with previous 121 experience?
With us everyone has to do four and another four for upgrade, two of which need to be international. I have no idea if that's a fed rule or company rule.

With us everyone has to do four and another four for upgrade, two of which need to be international. I have no idea if that's a fed rule or company rule.

Interesting. SkyWest encourages them, but they're not mandatory. I did 2-3 roundtrips between ground school and sims just to give me a better understanding of things. It proved quite valuable to me.

Interesting. SkyWest encourages them, but they're not mandatory. I did 2-3 roundtrips between ground school and sims just to give me a better understanding of things. It proved quite valuable to me.
If that's the case I'll assume it's all company specific.... Perhaps written into the training manual.

Yikes... That sounds a bit overboard.
Your company doesn't have captains fill out evaluations for new hires? I know Delta does it. Since Delta does it, we do it. I'm pretty sure DL does everything online though. We have to give captains physical forms.

First day of FTDs started today. My sim partner and I flew in on the same flight after we were done with our observation flights on Friday. We get to MSP and my sim partner gets a voicemail from training scheduling saying our schedule has changed and we won't start until Monday. Originally we were supposed to start on Saturday. Our instructor has to sit as a seat support for an LOE so everything got changed. I looked at the new schedule and they put our 4th procedures training lesson the day before my sister's wedding and PV on my sister's wedding! I immediately called and emailed training scheduling. They were really good with getting back to me and assured me I'd have a few days off. I had requested certain days off the first week of ground school and they were aware I needed these days off. We had a 0700 start and we met out instructor. We do about an hour brief about to expect for today's lesson, checklist philosophy, call outs, and he gave us a tour of the building. After, we got down to the electrical power up and cockpit pre flight procedure. It took almost two hours to get lined up with the runway. We went though each first flight of the day items nice and slow and he wanted us to verbalize what we were doing. Plane was all ready to go and he told me to do the pushback flow. Everything I had studied in my time off went out the window. I drew a blank and just stared at the overhead panel. I caught back up after a while but I completely blanked the first few minutes. We took off and I was way behind the plane with my call outs. After we got to 10000ft, we switched and I became PM and my sim partner became PF. The goal for PV is to have the push back checklist complete in 30 minutes or less. The second time we ran through things, we did it in close to 30 minutes and we started to get into a nice rhythm. Today was a little difficult for me since the fastest thing I've ever flown is a Cirrus and I've never really operated in a crew environment. Tomorrow is another 0700 start time and we'll be ding everything we did today plus a STAR, 2 approaches (ILS and B/C), and everything up to the secure checklist.

Your company doesn't have captains fill out evaluations for new hires? I know Delta does it. Since Delta does it, we do it. I'm pretty sure DL does everything online though. We have to give captains physical forms.
No, we don't do evals. That said, I do know of Capts that have reported incompetence during probation, so there is nothing stopping a poor review.

Yikes... That sounds a bit overboard.

Yeah, just a bit. Wait, more than a bit, it's so stupid. Like everything, if you aren't having problems, its a waste of time. If you are having problems, at least its a chance for them to get corrected.

Just because Delta does it, doesn't mean it's a great idea... And be prepared for captains to tell you they don't fill the forms out.

Yeah, just a bit. Wait, more than a bit, it's so stupid. Like everything, if you aren't having problems, its a waste of time. If you are having problems, at least its a chance for them to get corrected.

Just because Delta does it, doesn't mean it's a great idea... And be prepared for captains to tell you they don't fill the forms out.
Yea but pretty much anything that Deta does they're going to pass down to us whether we think it's good or bad.

I looked at the new schedule and they put our 4th procedures training lesson the day before my sister's wedding and PV on my sister's wedding! I immediately called and emailed training scheduling. They were really good with getting back to me and assured me I'd have a few days off. I had requested certain days off the first week of ground school and they were aware I needed these days off. .

Things must be changing! In the past it's been tough sheet, be here in class. Now I've seen a pilot excused for a death in the family and emergencies, but then they either had to start all over or wait for the next class to start. You're going to miss other personal important dates at the airlines until you get enough seniority to bid for those days off. Hope you get off for the wedding though, just surprised they're going to try work it out.

Once you physically touch everything in the cockpit during flows it becomes easier and quicker each succeeding day. I doubt your IP was concerned as what you described is normal. The important thing is attitude. Keep it positive, don't blame others for your shortcomings, and be prepared for each class. Training departments will work with a pilot who displays these traits. You'll be fine.

Things must be changing! In the past it's been tough sheet, be here in class. Now I've seen a pilot excused for a death in the family and emergencies, but then they either had to start all over or wait for the next class to start. You're going to miss other personal important dates at the airlines until you get enough seniority to bid for those days off. Hope you get off for the wedding though, just surprised they're going to try work it out.

Once you physically touch everything in the cockpit during flows it becomes easier and quicker each succeeding day. I doubt your IP was concerned as what you described is normal. The important thing is attitude. Keep it positive, don't blame others for your shortcomings, and be prepared for each class. Training departments will work with a pilot who displays these traits. You'll be fine.
Yea today went alright. Got way behind the airplane while we shot the ILS 30L into MSP. Other than that, I thought the lesson went well. I just needed to slow down earlier. I missed a few callouts and I was feeling overwhelmed.

548d7255da31129bb4a8d8a321118eee.jpg

This might help you now that you're a big jet pilot

Yea today went alright. Got way behind the airplane while we shot the ILS 30L into MSP. Other than that, I thought the lesson went well. I just needed to slow down earlier. I missed a few callouts and I was feeling overwhelmed.

At least you were doing something better than sit in the classroom for recurrent all day. Nothing like spending 3 hours getting told the same rumors from management and then the MEC.

Like a pp said, when you are junior get use to missing important family functions and needed days off. It's the nature of the beast. And senior folks will have zero remorse about giving you the shaft....

Great news tonight. I just got awarded JFK 200. No Detroit for me!

I'm glad somebody is crazy enough to want JFK 200. I could see dealing with LGA, but JFK has always rubbed me wrong for some reason.

And senior folks will have zero remorse about giving you the shaft....

You do realize that those senior folks flew similar if not schedules when they were junior right? Sorry everyone has to pay their dues. No one is giving you the shaft.

You do realize that those senior folks flew similar if not schedules when they were junior right? Sorry everyone has to pay their dues. No one is giving you the shaft.
Ahhhh.... No. Not always the case. And some much longer than others.

Procedures Validation complete! We had an 0700 start time and got started with a brief oral. Basic stuff like limitations and immediate action items. We got our paperwork and I was PF first. I flew from MSP to CWA. It was a quick up and down flight. We held at a fix along the way, shot the ILS 8, then took a break and swapped seats. I made some minor errors but overall it was a good flight. I then became PM on the way back to MSP. Pretty much the same thing going back. We were complimented on how well we worked together and he congratulated us and said we should have no issues in the simulator. Currently flying to Phoenix for the sims for a week or two!

Awesome.

After reading about all the training you have to do, it amazes me that so many accidents are pilot related, air france, colgan, etc.

Procedures Validation complete! We had an 0700 start time and got started with a brief oral. Basic stuff like limitations and immediate action items. We got our paperwork and I was PF first. I flew from MSP to CWA. It was a quick up and down flight. We held at a fix along the way, shot the ILS 8, then took a break and swapped seats. I made some minor errors but overall it was a good flight. I then became PM on the way back to MSP. Pretty much the same thing going back. We were complimented on how well we worked together and he congratulated us and said we should have no issues in the simulator. Currently flying to Phoenix for the sims for a week or two!
Just in time. Going to be 120 degrees this weekend.

What city is going to be 120? Just got back from Tucson and it was warm, but not 120.

Tucson hit 106 when we were there. Hot, but truly not unbearable due to no humidity. Didn't even sweat. The same day it was 106 in Tucson, where we live in Florida it was 93, but felt like 106. Would have been drenched in sweat.

Tucson hit 106 when we were there. Hot, but truly not unbearable due to no humidity. Didn't even sweat. The same day it was 106 in Tucson, where we live in Florida it was 93, but felt like 106. Would have been drenched in sweat.
It's amazing the difference between 115 in the sun and in the shade. If I get too hot I'll just stand in the shade and be fine. The Florida crowd doesn't get that luxury though. I'm hoping for a new record and kinda want them to shut down the airport for excessive heat just to say I was there.

Edit: unless of course I have to fly that day. Then I want the airport open until the gear is in the wells spinning down.

I was visiting my son in Austin and were were out all day and not much in the shade. HOT! So the sun went down, we were sitting on the porch having a cold one, a little breeze came up and it felt downright comfortable, and I said so. Son says, "Dad! It is still 100."

That was the only place I've been where 100 felt cool.

If I get too hot I'll just stand in the shade and be fine. The Florida crowd doesn't get that luxury though.

What, you don't think there is shade in Florida? I think having the sunlight directly on you, or not, makes a difference where ever you are.

What, you don't think there is shade in Florida? I think having the sunlight directly on you, or not, makes a difference where ever you are.
I guess you haven't heard of humidity. Thats what you can't hide from in Florida

Back