Schools are closed. SMH

SixPapaCharlie

May the force be with you
Display Name

Display name:
Sixer
WTH? Both my kids schools (2 different districts) are closed today.
This is insanity.

Everyone at my office is WFH because of this or their kids schools being closed.

I just looked out front and realized how not bad it is.
Texas is shut down because of this:

attachment.php

Attachments

• noschool.jpg
    noschool.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 375
Last edited:
I'm expecting to see a horse drawn carriage pass by there for some reason.

Pffffttttt, that would barely qualify as frost up here........

Wow,what will they ever do if they get real bad weather?

My cousin moved to Atlanta from Anchorage, he had never heard of a "snow day" until he got here! :rofl:

They were closed here all but one day last week because of temps in the low teens and up to 10 inches of snow on one day. At least the forecast came true this time, as last time the closed school for snow and it was sunny and warm

I left my TX house yesterday. Had to drive to Austin since American Eagle cancelled flights from the regional airports in advance of the weather. I had wifey take me early enough to get back home before the freezing rain hit. I wasn't concerned about her driving skills, we've driven on ice and snow all our lives. I was much more worried about all those TX drivers who have no ice experience. Staying off the roads may be a good idea. School buses aren't the most nimble slick street performers and neighborhood streets where they operate are always the slickest.

Last edited:
Is freezing rain in the day's forecast?

It was icy yesterday in the morning. No snow, that is just sleet collected there.

Nothing today but there is supposed to be "wintry mix" (AKA Texas apocalypse) late tonight.

better run to the grocery store and stock up on groceries. that's what everyone around here does when they hear the "S" word in the forecast.

I'd be surprised if the schools were running on time here, but morning temps are well below zero, quite unusual for this part of the country. I doubt schools in Alaska would close for anything short of hell freezing over.

Staying off the roads may be a good idea. School buses aren't the most nimble slick street performers and neighborhood streets where they operate are always the slickest.

Which is why the ISD's around here are shut.

Roads yesterday were okay, but the slight melt caused by traffic and sunshine froze hard overnight. My residential street this morning at 7:30am could have been used for ice hockey. And there were a few lightweight FWD's that weren't doing so well up the slight hill headed to the main artery.

Major travelled roads such as freeways were okay, because of TxDOT's efforts. But residentials were still very slick.

Since winter road conditions like this isn't a common enough event, most North Texans are never prepared for it like folks in the northern latitudes where winter is a way of life. So we venture out, slip slide around, and have fun remembering to go slow and turn into the skid.

But, as a business person, I'm glad for this. Weather events like this create both demand and fresh inventory.

Schools in Alaska close for freezing rain and snow conditions that make operating school buses difficult. We have mountains here. Some of the schools are halfway up. Take a school bus up a slick hill, let alone down, while all the drop-off moms are parking in the ditch along the way. Sometimes we just have to accept that a day in school isn't worth the trouble. Some parents get annoyed that they're forced to deal with their own kids that day. Others make time to enjoy them. It's all about attitude.

I'm expecting to see a horse drawn carriage pass by there for some reason.

No horse drawn carriages here. Just these jack wagons driving their weird crap up and down the street all GD day and night. They have tons of motorized nonsense and they cruise them all up and down the street constantly. It is all unique stuff and it is all as loud as they can make it.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Jackass.jpg
    Jackass.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 390
I have ice all over my drive and the streets around my house. No one has driven down my street since Sunday night when I got home around 11pm. If you live in the metro area, it's not much problem, but the 'first mile' from driveway to a sanded road is a mess.

Maybe something with how my neighborhood sits or something. I only looked out the front window.

better run to the grocery store and stock up on groceries. that's what everyone around here does when they hear the "S" word in the forecast.

Milk and bread, gotta go out and get milk and bread. Because yeah, we'll be snowed in for weeks. :rolleyes2:

BTW, everything closed here because we got 1/2" of snow last night.

We have lots of horse drawn carriages not far from me. The Amish, don't you know.

Nah, I am calling it. We're wimps

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• 20150224_121436.jpg
    20150224_121436.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 308
  • 20150224_121510.jpg
    20150224_121510.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 309
Nah, I am calling it. We're wimps
No argument here.

I remember a few years ago when the TV weather guessers were predicting winter gloom and doom. ISD's and businesses reacted by preemptively closing.

The day dawns on a nice 40-45°F day, all sunshiney and no wind...

Yeah, so? It's all a risk benefit ratio that has to be dealt with in a litigious nanny society. Heck, most school districts don't even operate their own busses anymore, and if the bus company calls it, the school has to call it.

Walking around my property, I'm afraid we may be in the middle of a major extinction event:

16428814547_ea9f203f03_c.jpg

For sure.
And I am sorry about your dog. You are supposed to bring them inside though. Poor guy.

It was explained to me that in southern climates (like where I am in Tennessee) that if the temperature is forecast to be at a low enough number that school will close because they don't want kids who might not have clothing appropriate to the weather to wait outside for a bus. I dunno about all that, but yes, I do think we're becoming wimps. It's no wonder that other countries just look at us and laugh and/or can't stand us.

Schools here close for a couple wx reasons:

snow/ice that make for hazardous driving conditions
extreme windchills

Pretty much that's it.

We've had days where there was a lot of snow, but driving conditions weren't too bad so the schools were open. We've had other days where there wasn't that much snow but it glazed over on the roads so schools were closed.

Normally, the windchill won't cancel school itself, but when it's combined with even a little bit of bad wx, the schools use it as an excuse to call it a day.

I lived in Texas for many years. We got measurable snow about once every ten years. We got freezing rain and ice covered streets about twice a year. Everything and everybody closed down until it melted away.

Lived in Kotzebue, Nome and Barrow Alaska. Schools stayed open on weather days so people that lost heat and power would have someplace to go to stay warm.

I now live in New Mexico. When it snows (like last night and today) the only cars I see in the ditch are from either California or Colorado...:lol:

I got stuck in Lake Minchumina, Ak once for 3 days because of weather. They opened the school so I had a place to sleep and stay warm. The school was closed that year for lack of students. Different families fed me so I wouldn't starve. The only store there had closed for the winter. Life is so easy in the lower 48, no wonder I gained so much weight....:rofl:

They generally don't close the schools here. Ever. We had about 14 inches of snow overnight a couple of weeks ago. The kids went to school. The morning temperatures have been below zero F every day this past week save one (when it was a balmy 3 F). The kids went to school. This morning it was -12 F. The kids went to school.

Poor little stinkers, lol. They never get a day off.

The SUNY colleges shut down if there are rumors of snow: Governor Cuomo has a crippling phobia of snowflakes. The urban school districts shut down if more than a few inches of snow are predicted. The usual excuse is safety, but I think it has more to do with teachers and staff enjoying a snow day just as much as the kids do.

New York City used to be an exception. Under Giuliani and Bloomberg, the schools almost never closed. Their thinking was that a lot of parents worked and might not be able to arrange childcare on short notice, and a lot of students' families were poor and counted on the kids being fed in school (all NYC schools serve lunch and many serve breakfast). So their position was that if you thought it was too cold / dangerous to send your kids to school, then you could keep them home. But if you needed a warm, safe place where your kids would be warm, fed, and supervised, the schools were open. They would usually spend the days singing songs and playing games because half the teachers wouldn't show up, but it was better than being left unsupervised and unfed.

I don't know what the policy in The City is now, but I suspect that that hand-wringing ninny de Blasio probably closes the schools if a snowflake is rumored to be fluttering to the ground somewhere over Jersey or Connecticut. He and Cuomo have repeatedly made fools of themselves this winter by overreacting to predicted snowstorms that never happened or didn't live up to their expectations.

Rich

Last edited:
School bus routes in my town can't reach the students, and parents would have to deliver the kids by driving to school. Both are bad cases. If I could link pics you would see what I mean.

The problem most people forget about snow days is that they have to be made up. In Washington state the kids are supposed to get 180 days of instruction each school year. In my wife's district the first day that is a make up day is the second day of President's Day holiday, making it a 3 day weekend instead of a 4 day weekend. Then they start tacking days on the end of the year. The teachers hate it when that happens. In case of bad weather they root for a late start, rather than a shut down. You don't have to make up late starts.

Nice thing this year - there haven't been any snow days (knock on wood).

Milk and bread, gotta go out and get milk and bread. Because yeah, we'll be snowed in for weeks. :rolleyes2:

Grocery store is packed the day before a snow. Clear out all the eggs, milk and bread. I just picture everyone stranded inside making french toast.

Grocery store is packed the day before a snow. Clear out all the eggs, milk and bread. I just picture everyone stranded inside making french toast.

On what? The camp stove? (when the power goes out)

I should have taken a picture this morning. It has all melted now.

So many wrecks.

Don't forget the beer and wine, just in case! :D

Not that it will make you feel any better, but schools are still open here in Michigan.....thats not a problem.:nono:.But trying to find the local burger king in a few hours, may be a problem.:rofl:

Attachments

• IMG_20150224_144746_417.jpg
    IMG_20150224_144746_417.jpg
    898.2 KB · Views: 24
Which BK is that?

North side or South Side?

Back