Schools are closed. SMH

Snowing again. They're wrecking 'em good up in the mountains...

57dfb63c40ab53dfa9c54e5ad827494e.jpg

c83f5cc42c8a857ba869d55bb1e8366f.jpg

that one has the lanes blocked

That's in Colorado???

You'd think they'd be used to snow...

Rich

C'mon, skiers have been mixing snow and weed for 43 years. That I know of, anyway. :rolleyes:

0acb2833e12e6a9c539273615e55954d.jpg

That's my car over there. Brrr. I'm still at work.

And Denver's light pollution. Like the orange clouds? Ha.

Blow baby blow!

Sell that Ngas!

I just ordered $600 worth of stuff from Aircraft Spruce. Daddy need's a new pair of shoes! C'mon!

Blow baby blow!

Sell that Ngas!

I just ordered $600 worth of stuff from Aircraft Spruce. Daddy need's a new pair of shoes! C'mon!

I'm on Propane... sorry. :)

They did put a HUGE NatGas pipeline down the county road last year though... Texas to Greeley, CO I hear... dunno...

Was amazing how fast they put that thing in the ground...

They replanted the "prairie grass" and it's been kinda fun to watch that... it's not the same grass species/mix so in summer it looks normal, in winter (now) it's still a wide strip of flat white snow when it snows, whereas the normal prairie grass doesn't get flattened by the snow...

0acb2833e12e6a9c539273615e55954d.jpg

That's my car over there. Brrr. I'm still at work.

And Denver's light pollution. Like the orange clouds? Ha.

I remember when I was a kid all the lights were still Mercury instead of Sodium and snowy nights in St Louis would be bright green.

I'm on Propane... sorry. :)

They did put a HUGE NatGas pipeline down the county road last year though... Texas to Greeley, CO I hear... dunno...

Was amazing how fast they put that thing in the ground...

They replanted the "prairie grass" and it's been kinda fun to watch that... it's not the same grass species/mix so in summer it looks normal, in winter (now) it's still a wide strip of flat white snow when it snows, whereas the normal prairie grass doesn't get flattened by the snow...

Pipeline companies are so pleasant to deal with.

NOT!

They jammed one across our property. In the middle of negotiations, and we were being cooperative, they filed an imminent domain motion. :mad2:

Newest storm almost stuck me in Castle Rock as it turned to ice immediately. Was on the phone with Spike when I got stuck on the on ramp to I25 South.

Last edited:
I recall one of the blizzards back in 90s in Denver area. I think it was 98 because the Broncos got out for a playoff game with dozens of cars stuck on Pena, lotta people ****ed about that.

Anyway, I was living down south and I was headed out of the tech center. Heard there was a pileup on I-25 south of Linc and I did the side road down county line to Univ, then over to Highlands Ranch to Santa Fe south. Was being followed by a Honda or something, all the way past Castle Rock. I found out I was the only one to make it home that night as everyone else was stuck in town behind a 200 car mess on I-25. It was Friday and I stayed in until Tue. Broncos won, and went on to win the SB that winter. We had another blizzard in Mar two years later and wife had had enough by then, off to TX.

Worst long distance drive I did was from Co Springs back to the KC area after one Thanksgiving. Blizzards closed I-70 in CO for a couple days, then I heard that one lane was finally open, so I hopped in the car about 3 pm.

That drive from the Springs to Limon is always an adventure in bad weather, too.

I finally got onto I-70, blowing snow made vis very poor, and there was just the one lane so you basically got in line and went with the flow. By the time we got into KS, the storm that passed through had changed to freezing rain, so the road (which was back to all lanes again) wasn't covered with inches of snow, it was covered with inches of ice. As long as you kept your tires in the worn down ruts, like a slot car, you were fine. It was going on 1am by then, and I noticed headlights in my driver's side mirror coming on a little faster than I was comfortable driving. Most of us were around 30mph. It got just off my front corner and I noticed it was not in the ruts, but on top. Then it wiggled just a bit, I let off the gas, his brake lights went on, then he went around, into the median backwards, and rolled over. I pulled off onto the right shoulder, stepped out, and immediately fell flat on my back in the right lane and had to swim back off the highway before I got run over.

I eventually made it home around 7am.

As far as the worst local driving conditions - well, I've never needed to be towed out of a ditch, so that's good.

Pipeline companies are so pleasant to deal with.

NOT!

They jammed one across our property. In the middle of negotiations, and we were being cooperative, they filed an imminent domain motion. :mad2:

If they crossed my property.. I would wait till they got out of sight, dig down and drill and tap a fitting into the pipeline and have FREE heat for the rest of my life... And a heated driveway,, and a heated greenhouse... Etc etc...

Yes we're wimps......after growing up in Anchorage, and spending several years in Colorado Springs, CO....it is apalling to me that we close down everything for even a threat of snow.....southerners apparently have no idea how much worse it could be. We got around 2-3 inches....I was hoping for more personally.
cbcbec36034b2e566a038287d648be62.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Years ago I was on the way to work on a bitter cold morning. The radio guys were about to give the weather forecast (high was only supposed to be in the low teens).

Radio guy 1: And our high for today, aww...
Radio guy 2: Hang on a second. Give me that...
<pause>
RG 2: Here you go, now read it.
RG 1: And our high for today will be 72 degrees.
<pause>
RG1: Dude, I feel MUCH better!
RG2: It's an old radio trick.

If they crossed my property.. I would wait till they got out of sight, dig down and drill and tap a fitting into the pipeline and have FREE heat for the rest of my life... And a heated driveway,, and a heated greenhouse... Etc etc...

Lol, should be fun to explain should they ever question why Ngas was leaving at this station but arriving short at the next transfer station.

Lol, should be fun to explain should they ever question why Ngas was leaving at this station but arriving short at the next transfer station.

No real explaination... I hit Ngas on MY property,,,:):):D...

In reality,,, Most Ngas lines are 6-20" in diameter running 300-500 PSI.. There is no way they could even calculate tap-in that small....

And if they did.... Too *ucking bad...

So you're a thief???

not 'zactly, if eminent domain is used for private purposes (which a natural gas line usually is) then what recourse does a landowner have to what is arguably an unjust act? Yes he will receive some compensation but not compensation fairly bargained. It's a tough spot for a landowner.

Ben - it'd get ugly when ya took a slug of liquids...

No real explaination... I hit Ngas on MY property,,,:):):D...

In reality,,, Most Ngas lines are 6-20" in diameter running 300-500 PSI.. There is no way they could even calculate tap-in that small....

And if they did.... Too *ucking bad...

When a leak or damage occurs our control room generally knows within minutes. Its amazing what the technology has become these days.

not 'zactly, if eminent domain is used for private purposes (which a natural gas line usually is) then what recourse does a landowner have to what is arguably an unjust act? Yes he will receive some compensation but not compensation fairly bargained. It's a tough spot for a landowner.

Ben - it'd get ugly when ya took a slug of liquids...

Agreed... I am not sure how the pressure regulator would handle liquids....

When a leak or damage occurs our control room generally knows within minutes. Its amazing what the technology has become these days.

What little bit I would be taking would amount to less the temp expansion /contraction of 1000CFS of Ngas passing through the pipeline..:dunno::dunno:

Unless you guys have some REAL fancy and accurate gauges...:rolleyes:

Even a few years ago the leaks I found flying mainline pipeline I was flying an alert run where control called and said they had a bad reading between two stations and go have a look. Oil collection fields however I would be calling them in. Most of what pipeline patrol protects against is guys with heavy equipment and no knowledge of the 811 phone number.

I wouldn't even want to calculate the back charges and penalties if you tapped an Ngas pipeline. I know if you just hit one digging without a DIG-TESS number, they charge you for the escaped gas on top of the repair which can run into the ten's of thousands quickly.

Plus, you're opening yourself up to one hell of a liability lawsuit if it blows out and destroy's persons or property.

I don't know how you would do it even if you wanted to. The larger lines have tremendous pressure.

I drove past a construction site (a new subdivision) a few minutes after a backhoe cut a gas line. I was maybe 50-100 yard away and the sound of that high pressure gas was really loud. I'm nit tapping into anything in the upstream side of a regulator or valve.

I drove past a construction site (a new subdivision) a few minutes after a backhoe cut a gas line. I was maybe 50-100 yard away and the sound of that high pressure gas was really loud. I'm nit tapping into anything in the upstream side of a regulator or valve.

Me neither.... You do the tap LONG before the pipeline is brought online...;)

I wouldn't even want to calculate the back charges and penalties if you tapped an Ngas pipeline. I know if you just hit one digging without a DIG-TESS number, they charge you for the escaped gas on top of the repair which can run into the ten's of thousands quickly.

Plus, you're opening yourself up to one hell of a liability lawsuit if it blows out and destroy's persons or property.

I don't know how you would do it even if you wanted to. The larger lines have tremendous pressure.

Clamp on hot tap.

Newest storm almost stuck me in Castle Rock as it turned to ice immediately. Was on the phone with Spike when I got stuck on the on ramp to I25 South.

And you were probably doing 101 before that. ;) ;) ;)

People around here are calling it the "snowpocolypse" by the way....SMH also....

Better than the stupid winter storm names the Freak Out Channel (cough: Weather Channel) gives them now. Ha.

[snip]

Is it liquid in the pipes? If not, it can't be above about 40psi (IIRC) before it liquifies.

I'm not picking a fight, I'm genuinely interested. I don't have any direct experience with how it's distributed. I know it's not liquid where it comes into the house.

John

Is it liquid in the pipes? If not, it can't be above about 40psi (IIRC) before it liquifies.

I'm not picking a fight, I'm genuinely interested. I don't have any direct experience with how it's distributed. I know it's not liquid where it comes into the house.

John

200 to 1500 psi through the interstate pipes.

http://naturalgas.org/naturalgas/transport/

John

Natural gas is most definitely in the vapor phase in the US natural gas distribution system. The critical temperature of methane (principle component of natural gas) is about -82 C so at any temperature above that it will not be in the liquid state.

Back