Schools are closed. SMH

In Winston-Salem, we would see school canceled because of weather reports, before the snow had even started....

And I'm not exaggerating either.

*******. Schools have only closed recently up here because the snow load on the roofs might cause structural problems.

i-gscrz7R-L.jpg

In Winston-Salem, we would see school canceled because of weather reports, before the snow had even started....

Happens here on occasion. Usually when the forecast looks grim and is expected to roll in just before dawn. School district has to make the call and doesn't want to wait until the first buses fire up. Sometimes the bad stuff misses.

I think our school district has four or five snow days built into the schedule, so they don't feel too bad about using up one or two preemptively.

Which BK is that?

North side or South Side?
South side, but I would not recommend either.......:no:

FWIW, park township is plowed if you feel inclined to stretch the Comanche legs and they have a courtesy car.

Yup, most of the Tulsa-area closed school as well. It wasn't really the highways and arterial roads that were impassable but the neighborhood streets/hills and such that were pretty much solid ice. Its not the snow that poses the issue, it's the ice.

I do recall last year when the northerners laughing at how horrible the Georgia residents were dealing with 1/4-1/2" of ice. Then a few weeks later they got hit with freezing rain/ice/etc up in the north and they had quite a mess of car wrecks and pile ups. No doubt Texans are a bit weak in the knees when it comes to weather, but ice is a different animal than snow.

*******. Schools have only closed recently up here because the snow load on the roofs might cause structural problems.

i-gscrz7R-L.jpg

My mail box looked like that last year..Yup just one sticking out of the snow..
Got a little miffed at the neighbors cause there are five mailboxes on a common post and mine is in the middle and not one had shoveled it out in the past seven years so the mail could get delivered.:mad::mad::mad::mad:

They always waited for me to get tired of no mail for a few days then chop and shovel....So I finally did once and for all.... clearing only MY mailbox....:rofl::rofl::rofl: it lasted that way for a good 2 months.....

Never heard a peep, but this year someone mysteriously is paying a plow service to keep the mail boxes clean:dunno:

The problem most people forget about snow days is that they have to be made up.

Most of the school districts in Oklahoma and surrounding states plan for a few snow days each year. They don't have to make up those days until they've used up the allotted amount (usually 3-4 days).

After last years fiasco, the school systems around Atlanta a GUN SHY!! They close for rumors of snow! :mad2: No one wants to be the one that caused little Johnny to be stuck in the snow again. :nono:

Bryan, you seem surprised. If you elect idiots to be in charge of a bigger group of idiots, that's what you get. :)

We had the same thing this morning. All schools delayed opening because the weatherman dropped the F bomb. Anytime the temperatures are forecast to dip below freezing, all the rednecks and Californians around here panic, clean out the nearest HEB and stand hours in line at SprawlMart to buy a 6-pack of blankets and a space heater.

The good part is, I guess, that traffic today is very light, not many idiots on the dry roads. :)

After last years fiasco, the school systems around Atlanta a GUN SHY!! They close for rumors of snow! :mad2: No one wants to be the one that caused little Johnny to be stuck in the snow again. :nono:

We had news reports last night of the city folk losing their minds because school busses ran an hour late causing little Johnny and Janey to stand outside in 5F weather.

One mom was hilarious. She thought she was sounding angry but basically said (paraphrased), "I was worried about the kid so I drove him to school myself."

All I could think of was to laugh and say, "Duh... Good mom." Haha.

The best was the guy they interviewed with a deep Slavic accent... And a huge fur lined hat on his head... Obviously at the school with the background the bus drop off point...

"Is cold. Kids bundle up. No need to close school. Kids need to be at the school to work for a better future."

Love that guy.

Our here the kids are hiking about 6-7 acres worth in linear distance, if not 10, to stand on snowpack at the stop sign and they seem not to be dying or anything. They do have these amazing inventions called coats, gloves, and scarves on. Judging by their activity level at the street corner, I think I can rule out frostbite or any other dangerous conditions.

One dad dropped his kid off at the bus stop on the snowmobile. Haha. All the other kids wanted a ride.

The bus stop is about 50 yards to the left of the frame in this photo, by the way. Up on the road at the stop sign.

6c9f03fef42ad7d3a25173897a41cfc7.jpg

Same thing happened here in TN. A little amount of snow causes people to buy all the milk and bread they can find. Biggest thing around here are when the roads get icy, all the mountainous terrain creates slippery road conditions.

The irony is that if it really does snow and they close the schools, the kids will be outside playing in the snow all day; but heaven forbid that they should have to wait outside for a few minutes for the bus to arrive.

Rich

Yeah, so? It's all a risk benefit ratio that has to be dealt with in a litigious nanny society.
But, wait, this is TEXAS, they're not a nanny state, they're real he-men and...

Ohhhhh...never mind.

Same thing happened here in TN. A little amount of snow causes people to buy all the milk and bread they can find. Biggest thing around here are when the roads get icy, all the mountainous terrain creates slippery road conditions.

That makes a big difference. Around here, the village, township, and county are all OCD about snow removal. The state's not bad, either. This is about the worst it gets before the roads through the mountains are cleared, and this was during a squall that dumped about two or three inches in an hour:

snow-rte-28.jpg

And speaking of OCD...

ocd-driveway.jpg

The angle makes the amount of snow harder to judge. It's actually a bit less than average for here, probably because it's been so cold. Here's my snow gauge:

snow-gauge.jpg

You can tell it's been a bit windy, too.

Rich

Last edited:
No horse drawn carriages here. Just these jack wagons driving their weird crap up and down the street all GD day and night. They have tons of motorized nonsense and they cruise them all up and down the street constantly. It is all unique stuff and it is all as loud as they can make it.

attachment.php

6PC, I think this would be a fabulous opportunity to pretend to be an A-10 and flour bomb these dudes like we bomb jihadists in their Mazda pickups.

Schools here close for a couple wx reasons:

snow/ice that make for hazardous driving conditions
extreme windchills

Pretty much that's it.

We've had days where there was a lot of snow, but driving conditions weren't too bad so the schools were open. We've had other days where there wasn't that much snow but it glazed over on the roads so schools were closed.

Normally, the windchill won't cancel school itself, but when it's combined with even a little bit of bad wx, the schools use it as an excuse to call it a day.

The cost of operating the school heat on an extremely cold day may be prohibitive.

6PC, I think this would be a fabulous opportunity to pretend to be an A-10 and flour bomb these dudes like we bomb jihadists in their Mazda pickups.

I'm a little scared of these guys.

No horse drawn carriages here. Just these jack wagons driving their weird crap up and down the street all GD day and night. They have tons of motorized nonsense and they cruise them all up and down the street constantly. It is all unique stuff and it is all as loud as they can make it.

attachment.php

Why on earth would you show the jackwagon a kindness and blur his face, thus preventing us from adding some unneeded additional ridicule? :D

Why on earth would you show the jackwagon a kindness and blur his face, thus preventing us from adding some unneeded additional ridicule? :D

He might be a pilot.
For all I know this is Doc :)

There were something like 500 car accidents in Dallas over the past two days. So whether you think it's because Texas drivers are idiots or some other reason, the fact is the roads are dangerous here when it ices. If I was responsible for 100,000 kids on school buses, I might cancel school under such conditions as well. Plus considering your photos were taken in the afternoon, the decision was actually made 18 hours before. Just saying.

There were something like 500 car accidents in Dallas over the past two days. So whether you think it's because Texas drivers are idiots or some other reason, the fact is the roads are dangerous here when it ices.

"And it’s damn near as deadly as Texans on ice
Lord don’t they beat all
Y’all have a nice holiday"

Holiday - James McMurtry

A truly great, if somewhat depressing song.

6PC, You should appreciate the fact that DISD felt the need to call this morning at 5am with an "emergency message" that schools would be open as usual. :rolleyes:

The cost of operating the school heat on an extremely cold day may be prohibitive.

Not likely. The school heat has to operate anyway to protect the contents. Adding a bunch of warm bodies means it has to operate less.

The "buses won't start" excuse is also a bunch of baloney. I can understand Texas not being prepared for severe winter weather, but up here in PA, we get cold and snow every year. If the buses start in upstate NY or Chicago or MN, they sure as heck can start here.

Most schools in my area were closed all of last week because of the cold. It's been just as cold this week, but the schools are operating. The reality is that there are too many wimp parents whose little Johnny can't stand at the bus stop in the cold, but has no problem in the front yard, on the ski slope, or running errands with mommy on the same day that school is cancelled. Once districts burn through allocated "snow days," it's easier for them to justify operating during inclement weather for the remainder of the year, because parents don't want the make up days impacting family vacations in the summer. And, yes, no district wants to be the one who is open when everyone else is closed, because one call to the media is all it would take to find the kid with frostbite or the bus that slid into a curb. It's basically a PR game, at least in areas where severe winter weather is relatively common.

JKG

Coming down pretty good north of here

attachment.php

Attachments

• LasColinas.jpg
    LasColinas.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 69
Daughter just texted a picture of her neighborhood in Longview. Not a hint of green through the snow and ice. A winter wonderland. It's warmer and we have less snow here in Anchorage. And you guys poo-poo the notion of climate change. :eek:

Daughter just texted a picture of her neighborhood in Longview. Not a hint of green through the snow and ice. A winter wonderland. It's warmer and we have less snow here in Anchorage. And you guys poo-poo the notion of climate change. :eek:

I don't know one way or another if the earth is heating or cooling but I do feel like seasons are shifting. Summer seems to be pushing into late Sept/Early Oct

Winters seem to be starting later and lasting into March

Maybe someone just forgot to replace the batteries in the calendar

It's just the ice thing. We really don't get snow sticking to the highways or streets but the ice from the driveway(210' long) out to the FM road is the worst. Once you get on an FM road and to the interstate things are just bad. But, you gotta get out of your own driveway first.

You can tell that's not me in the buggy -- no beer can. Our schools are open today, and all the kids have gone in on time. Still getting snow but nothing is sticking to the streets, just wet.

I had dinner last night with a good friend who was passing through from the Arctic coast to home in Arizona. He works in Kaktovik, east of the Prudhoe Bay oil fields. When he left yesterday it was 27*. Unheard of. He's restricted from going outdoors because the lack of sea ice has kept the polar bears onshore for a couple of years. Warmer on the Acrtic Ocean coast than in east Texas in February. Weird weather.

Maybe someone just forgot to replace the batteries in the calendar

I was thinking along the same lines. "...isn't this week's winter weather sorta 6-8 weeks too late?"

Hopefully this will be it for us this season, and we can get back to 50-60°F temps and our golf shirts and short pants.

And it's snowing lime crazy lol

The lime crazy snow was coming down as I drove my son to school, and I figured I'd regret it later. ;) But he's one of those kids who actually likes going to school and seeing his friends, so I took him.

The good news is that the snow is not sticking on the well-traveled roads, and they say it will actually be sunny this afternoon.

This is what the schools are afraid of: http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2015/02/25/mansfield-school-bus-hits-ice-flips-over/

But, as a business person, I'm glad for this. Weather events like this create both demand and fresh inventory.

Yesterday driving around Raleigh I noticed every 10th vehicle was a flatbed with a crashed car on it

speech to text always bites me in the azz. I'll just go with it.

Yup, It is snowing citrus in north Texas.

article-2264342-16F0E85F000005DC-780_964x640.jpg

One of my neighbors was determined to go in on Tue morning. He's a smug kind of guy like me. I just found out he got his car out on the road, went 3 blocks, and promptly slid into another neighbor's front yard, demolishing his brick mail box, and leaving Toyota parts along the guys retaining wall.

Nice job doof. Had to do the walk of shame back home, car will be towed out of the yard today and off to the body shop. Wish I was in the paint and body biz in DFW right now, they are going to have a very good month.

One of my neighbors was determined to go in on Tue morning. He's a smug kind of guy like me. I just found out he got his car out on the road, went 3 blocks, and promptly slid into another neighbor's front yard, demolishing his brick mail box, and leaving Toyota parts along the guys retaining wall.

Nice job doof. Had to do the walk of shame back home, car will be towed out of the yard today and off to the body shop. Wish I was in the paint and body biz in DFW right now, they are going to have a very good month.

In that part of town do you live?
I drove a lot (locally anyway) with no issues.

Back